[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minneapolis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: images (5).jpg (14KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
14KB, 267x189px
Hey Travel, I'm visiting a friend in Minneapolis for Christmas and will be here till New Years. What's sone good stuff to do here besides the predictable normie attractions? Goid local venues, food, etc. Any suggestions appreciated
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STXF9PZkjSQ
Can't help you, OP, but merry Christmas.
>>
File: 20161015_171001.jpg (1MB, 2592x1458px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_171001.jpg
1MB, 2592x1458px
>>1195508
Mr. Minneapolis here. Too bad you're here in the winter. Our parks, lakes and overall /out/ are God tier.

What are you into? Where a you from? What are you doing for NYE? Too bad you missed Zombie Pub Crawl in October. Then again, maybe you wouldn't like that. Need more info.
>>
>>1195579
I'm from Cleveland but I'm pretty much down for anything. I will try just about anything once. I'm just looking for goid resturaunts, bars, or anything besides normie shit like the mall of America. Vegan resteraunts are a plus though.
>>
>>1195630
If there’s anything that interests you on its calendar, check out some live music at First Avenue nightclub. Same with the nearby Skyway Theatre.

Take a walk across the Stone Arch Bridge for some fantastic views. Bundle up. While you’re in the area, go inside the Guthrie Theatre. It’s a God-dammed architectural wonder. Check to make sure it’s open. You can explore without even having a ticket to a play if it is.

For cool bars, go to Loring Pasta Bar and/or the Kitty Kat Klub. They’re right next to each other in Dinkytown, which is a neighborhood right by the University of Minnesota. Best bathrooms of your life.

(CONT)
>>
>>1196329
Bar La Grassa is my favorite restaurant in the TC. It’s in the trendy North Loop/Warehouse District area.

Up/Down is a bar with a ton of OG arcade games. Lots of people. In the Uptown neighborhood.

I’d suggest Ice Skating at The Depot. It’s a world-class skating rink. But, if it’s just you and you’re dude-bro, that might not be ideal. It’s an A+ place for a date, though.

Prohibition is a fancy bar on the 27th floor of a downtown skyscraper. Great views. Dress nice.

Northeast Minneapolis is my favorite neighborhood. There’s a cool speakeasy type place there called Marvel Bar. Google it for more help, but it’s behing a restaurant called The Bachelor Farmer. Look for the awning with the lights and go down the steps, through the basement and open the purple door. Best cocktails around, but spendy. If you like beer, go to Dangerous Man. Which reminds me, the Surly brewery is not to be missed. It’s an amazing social place. Very Minnesotan. Incredible food, too. Not sure about Vegan options, other than Good Earth restaurant. We have two, but they’re in the ‘burbs.

I’m doing NYE at the Minneapolis Convention Center. There’s this big thing they’re doing there called Snowta. Indoor “music festival” with rides and shit. I’m stoked, but it might not be everyone’s thing. Big Gigantic is playing, among other acts.

Info
http://www.tc-presents.com/calendar/2016/12/31/snowta-new-years-2017

Let me know what you get into while you’re here!
>>
>>1196331
OK, last post, at least until when/if you reply. All in Northeast Minneapolis:

Psycho Suzi’s is an intentionally cheesy tiki bar. Cool place, but it’s crown jewel is it’s massive, torch-lit outdoor double-decker patio right on the Mississippi River, which will obviously be closed. Up the street from that is Danger Betty’s, which is also an extremely cheeky bar. They have a ferris wheel and mini golf outside. Again, these won’t be in action. (The TC is just so much better when it’s not winter.) Still worth a visit, though. Right across the street from that is a towny/divey bar called Tony Jaro’s. If you go to Danger Betty’s, stop in to Tony Jaro’s for a “world-famous” Greenie. $5 and packs a punch. Feed the jukebox if it’s not already going, otherwise you’ll be listening to whatever stupid show is on the TVs.
>>
File: 1476338402852.jpg (32KB, 640x423px) Image search: [Google]
1476338402852.jpg
32KB, 640x423px
>>1196339
OK. I lied. Hard to stop when I'm on a roll.

The Walker Art Center is wicked cool and free on Thursdays and the first Saturday of every month. The sculpture garden area around it is a little tore up from construction, though. This is where the big Spoon and Cherry sculpture is.

Stay out of North Minneapolis. (Not to be confused with Northeast.)

Get a Jucy Lucy at Matt's Bar.

Victor's 1959 Cafe is a killer brunch place. Cuban. Tiny. Write on the walls. Be prepared to wait.

Go for a walk around Lake Calhoun or Lake Harriett is it's not too cold. Both are three miles around. Calhoun is more young/trendy/hard-body. Harriett more naturey in a family area. Not sure how much it makes a difference in the winter.
>>
>>1196343
>Get a Jucy Lucy at Matt's Bar.
Not vegan. Nevermind.
>>
>tfw you've lived in Minneapolis for 15 years and the only place I've been on the list is Psycho Suzi's for lunch
>>
>>1195579
Hey man thanks for all the info in the thread already.
I'm a graduate student looking in to programs. Won't graduate until 2018 but looking in to doing a PhD maybe in Minneapolis.

How's life there for a young adult? I've never lived in a city before but you think Minneapolis is a nice place to live for 5 years?
>>
>>1196506
Wow. Where do you go? What do you do?
>>
>>1196556
>Hey man thanks for all the info in the thread already.

You got it. If you can't tell, I love showing people around and giving recommendations.

>I've never lived in a city before
You must not be OP?
>>
>>1196556
>How's life there for a young adult? you think Minneapolis is a nice place to live for 5 years?

I’m biased, but I believe it’s truly great. There really is a lot to do. The TC is so underrated, which I think is a good thing. My theory is the winter keeps us from suffering a Portland/Austin fate. It can be tough to meet new people here, though. A lot of people marry young and move off to the suburbs. Sadly, peeps are generally less social and welcoming to newcomers than a lot of other big cities that get mucho transplants looking to make friends. Probably the best way to do it is to go to concerts/raves/live music a lot. For a lack of a better term the “EDM” scene is vibrant and friendly. You’ll start recognizing people from going to shows and it’s easy to start a conversation about music. Ask someone what the next show they’re going to is and if you’d like to meet up.

CONT
>>
>>1196718

Also, unless you’re gay (big scene here) it’s not the easiest place in the world in which to hook up. (I’ve spent time in almost every major U.S. city.) Another con is the traffic is worse than you’d expect.

But it’s clean, bountiful in natural beauty, has a good economy, incredible food/restaurants, is full of well-educated people, has a great live music scene and many nice museums. You can rent a kayak for cheap in the summer and make your way through our chain of lakes. It’s more than just paddling though open water. You’ll go under narrow passages connecting the lakes, under bridges, etc. You can stop along beaches as you pass them to ogle people and rest, drink, etc. “Hidden Beach” (not so hidden anymore) is full of good looking “alternative” people. Try to find someone without a tattoo.
>>
File: C0ZKmkbWIAA5Qt3.jpg (36KB, 493x464px) Image search: [Google]
C0ZKmkbWIAA5Qt3.jpg
36KB, 493x464px
Thanks man, it's OP, haven't replied but been having a fantastic time this week. We checked out the Guthrie Theatre, went to the MOA, went on that bridge, and we're going ice skating today and probably doing some bar crawls at First Ave tonight. It's been a great Christmas vacation
>>
>>1197243
Right on.

You got lucky with the weather.

Still curious to know what you're doing NYE.
>>
>>1197249
I'm leaving tomorrow unfortunately, no Minneapolis NYE for me unfortunately
>>
>>1197316
Ah, I see. Have a great trip back.
>>
Go buy tickets to a random first ave show.

Its fun.
>>
>>1197319
Thanks man, we're goimg to a shoe tonight to see Real Numbers and Claps and Zena tonight at first avenue so that should be a good time.
>>
>>1197327
By the way I went to Hard Times Cafe and was super disapointed. Incredibly mediocre vegan food I could have made at home. Chai tea tastes like nothing and the BLT and Grilled chese were lazily made.
>>
>>1197327
Awesome. First Ave. is legend.

>>1197332
Sorry to hear that. I've never been as I'm a huge carnivore. Please no bully.
>>
File: received_1224018114334622.jpg (58KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
received_1224018114334622.jpg
58KB, 960x720px
>>1195508
Minneapolis trip review
Pros: Skyways mean you can avoid the frozen hellscape outside.
First Avenue is cheap and incredible.
Plentiful supplies of cute Asian girls
Neat views from the Guthrie Theatre.
Best resteraunt: Dunn Brothers coffee shop. Beatiful building, pretty decent coffee, super cozy upstairs section plus free parking.
Fucked a goth chick
Cons: I went in December so couldn't check out the incredible outdoors.
Minnesotans are genetically engineered for hockey so flailing around on the ice was embarrassing.
The asian girls I talked to wanted to either talk about Jesus or the patriarchy.
The Guthrie Theatre observatory has an ugly yellow tint to the windows.
Worst Resteraunt: Hard Times cafe. Over hyped place with a try hard punk aesthetic, expensive parking, sub par food with a menu a thirteen year old could cook, and just overall not worth the price. If you need to bring a vegan to lunch don't bother.
Over 8/10 trip. Got a free tape from a babd at First Avenue in exchange some fuji film pictures and you guys do Christmas really well.
>>
>>1197654
Happy to hear it.

The one time I was in Cleveland, I had a much better time than I expected. Stayed in Playhouse Square. I was like a kid in a candy shop at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Scored with a very cute girl. Really enjoyed a museum I found myself in, full of medieval weapons and armor, Russian Faberge Eggs, ancient art, etc. Went into some could forest greenhouse with South American flora. Didn’t get shot once. Went into some random bars, had some good local beers and bantz. Would have liked to have went to an Indians game, but they were on a road trip.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.