[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/, Im Heading to Vancouver early January and I was wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Stadtgliederung_Vancouver_2008.png (395KB, 1476x1273px) Image search: [Google]
Stadtgliederung_Vancouver_2008.png
395KB, 1476x1273px
Hey /trv/,
Im Heading to Vancouver early January and I was wondering what I can do for 5-6 days.
What is the night life like in early/mid Jan?
Any Place I can take some good breathtaking photos?
I know there's hiking and out doors-ey stuff, but what else?
>>
File: vanjan.jpg (75KB, 356x498px) Image search: [Google]
vanjan.jpg
75KB, 356x498px
Where are you from? I hope it's the pnw area. Car or public transit?

Unless you're into going to the local ski hills, you picked one of the worst three months to go. There's a decent chance it will rain every day you're there. Vancouver is just grey and wet November-January, by January people have seasonal effective disorder pretty bad.

Night life isn't that good during winter, girls don't dress very slutty because of weather and seasonal weight. I'd recommend the bars on west 4th or broadway instead of downtown. Real party atmosphere would be up in whistler.

There's a park that would be to the top left of the map, lighthouse park, there's some real big old growth trees there. On a clear day going up the gondola to grouse mountain, even if you don't ski would have some good pictures.

If you're into east asian stuff, richmond is a must.

Most of the rain in Vancouver is because of the mountains, the further you get away from them the dryer it is, so go south and hang out in white rock maybe?

Busing out to the ferry terminal and going to a gulf island and back might be a neat experience. Round trip bus and ferry fare is around $25. Galiano island is the closest and ok to walk on as there's stuff by the terminal.

If you want to meet people and are white, in general the further west you are, the more white people there are. Outside of downtown, whites become a majority west of oak street.
>>
>>1195061

Well, I'm from the mid atlantic and i choose Vancouver because, sadly, I work for a hotel and this is when business is the slowest and I want to get away from this hell hole that is the mid atlantic.

I'm doing this trip solo so I don't mind the rain, as long as things don't get icy. I sas really curious about nightlife and bars because I'm looking for a "tourguide", not a one night stand.

I do plan to check out most of the parks anyways, thanks for the recommendation. I was told the islands are some of the best places to visit.

Sadly I'm not driving but i want to visit whistler, so i gotta think of some way kid getting there..

I'm not white or asian so I'm going to stand out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for the advice
>>
>>1195068
Is mid atlantic just code for Virginia/North Carolina but you don't want to say the south?
>I'm doing this trip solo so I don't mind the rain
just have layers, and some good waterproof clothes, you should hope it doesn't get below zero because the city somewhat shuts down when it freezes/snows

>Sadly I'm not driving but i want to visit whistler, so i gotta think of some way kid getting there..
if you book in advance on greyhound.ca you can go roundtrip for $35, public transit is pretty good (http://infomaps.translink.ca/System_Maps/Frequent_Transit_Network_Map.pdf), especially on the main lines, there's no uber and taxis are expensive

>I'm not white or asian so I'm going to stand out like a sore thumb
Race is a odd thing in Vancouver, it's quite culturally based instead of skin colour. So a third generation chinese or indian who only speaks english can get lumped into white. There are ethnic enclaves where even though some staff know english, they refuse to serve you in it. So there are some chinese restaurants that will decline service based on skin colour. They'd do it to everyone who isn't mandarin or cantonese. There's really only a few of them and they are out of the way places, at least for now.

could try to set a tinder profile to vancouver to try to make some local contacts

ubc museum of anthropology has a good collection of native art

notice how downtown is a peninsula? where it meets up with the rest of the city is the worst ghetto in canada, it isn't dangerous, but there's a lot of poverty and drug use
>>
>>1195158
where it meets up with the rest of the city is the worst ghetto in canada
Kek, really? I stayed at an airbnb on a sort of hill just south of the big transit station. That where you're talking about? Didn't seem bad but then, I am a burger
>>
>>1195158
Mid-atlantic is just northern Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, souther Pennsylvania, and southern New Jersey where the weather and culture is not quite the north or south.

Well, its nice to know as a black male it ain't be so bad.

I've -regretfully- set tinder to vancouver and there's way too many beautiful people to not say they're all bots.

And thanks for the public transit info.
>>
File: nv.jpg (263KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
nv.jpg
263KB, 1366x768px
queen elizabeth park on your map is a big hill, there's a good panoramic view of the area from there, there's a geodesic dome with a jungle inside too

nightlife downtown is focused on the granville strip, the line on the map between west end and downtown, kitsilano and fairview, Vancouver has a low number of fatties so it's considered a more attractive city, don't go as far west as davie street if you aren't gay

north vancouver is the more scenic, rich part of town, you can take a bus over the lions gate bridge which is vancouver's most famous landmark, you can then go to the capilano suspension bridge and pay to be around asian tour groups, or make a couple transfers and go to lynn canyon which is free and less busy but still nice and with a shorter suspension bridge, if you have the time you can go up to deep cove, or just go to lonsdale quay and take a ferry back to downtown
all day pass is $10

a good resource is
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/4fqbhi/are_you_visiting_vancouver_or_planning_a_trip_to/
inb4 go back there

>>1195184
big transit station is pretty vague, the big stone one with actual trains? but the hastings area/downtown eastside is pretty bad for canada, homeless come from all across the country to not freeze

it's still safe, you can walk around at 2 am, only people dying are from fentanyl, it's almost better then because the aggressive beggars aren't out at that time

>>1195192
if you experience racism please post about it
only thing I've ever heard a black guy complain about in vancouver was him and a white friend were running to their car a few blocks away in a down pour, and a cop thought the white guy was running away from the black guy
>>
>>1195208
Sweet i have to take note of al of this before this thread 404's
>>
>>1195054
The east part of downtown is pretty rough, I'd stay out of there. Other than that you won't have any problems.

It's a very multi cultural city, check out Chinatown. Crazy the stuff they sell to eat there.

Stanley park and Lions Gate are scenic if it's not raining. In fact the whole town is very scenic, like San Francisco but with snowy mountains up close.

This winter has been snowy but be prepared for rain too...
>>
I agree with >>1195061
Go skiing, snowboarding, or snowshoeing. It's the best thing to do that time of year. If you have some sturdy hiking boots try the Lord Baden-Powell Trail in North Vancouver -- it's free and will take you all day.

The Granville strip is a bit of a shit show sometimes -- lots of college-age kids overdoing it. I don't recommend it.

The Cambie is a good place to hang out and meet other travelers. It's a hostel with a bar on the ground floor. Always packed.
>>
>>1195214
I'd dispute the "east part of downtown". It's really only 2-3 blocks north-south and about 8 blocks east-west. If you stay north of it, you're in Gastown (very fancy tourist area), and then Railtown (industrial area becoming an extension of Gastown). If you stay south of it, you're in Chinatown (slowly dying/moving to Richmond) or "Crosstown" (newly gentrified). The truth is you really don't need to worry about getting into the DTES. There's very little violence, just poverty and drug use.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.