[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/balkans/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 17426031.jpg (1MB, 3702x2588px) Image search: [Google]
17426031.jpg
1MB, 3702x2588px
I'm planning a big Eastern Europe trip for this summer, and I'm looking for any advice people have on the Balkans in general. Right now the plan is to fly into Sarajevo, then go to Mostar (explore some of the daytrips/countryside), SKIP Dubrovnik, because I have heard it is expensive and full of senile cruise ship passengers. Go to Split, hop a few islands, head up to Plitvice Lakes National Park, then catch a train to Budapest.

I haven't heard much special about Zagreb, and right now I am planning on skipping it so I can have more time in Poland later on.

What are some must see spots? What should be avoided? Tips on how to get out of the cities and into the countryside.
>>
>>1194732
Are you just planning on Croatia and Bosnia? Or do you plan to explore more of the Balkans?

Make sure you go to the Srebrenica exhibition in Bosnia and check out the abandoned bobsleigh tracks.
>>
>>1194736
Yeah, I would like to se more of course, but I am also hitting Vienna, Budapest, and Krakow in the same trip, so I do not have time to fully explore. Honestly, I have been able to find a lot more stuff on the above listed areas, so this is why it is a Balkans thread. I looked into stopping by Lake Bled in Slovenia, as I am a photographer and it looks really beautiful.

I'll check out both of the things you listed.
>>
...avoiding any spots on tha balkas for... poland of all places?!
i mean i love poland, but bosnia/serbia/croatia/albania >> poland when it comes to being a tourist. balkans is cheaper, food is better, scenery more varied.

other than that, go for it, sounds like a great plan.

in sarajevo do a walking tour with a local, there was nothing more interesting then them explaining the history.
there's a habsburg spa/former aanatorium nearby that can be a good hiking starting point, or better, take a bus up to bjelasnica... it should be free of mines.
the road to mostar by itself is awesome.
mostar has a very small center, but it's incredibly beautiful. remember to go down to the level of the river. it's going to be freezing cold, though, so no swimming, just stare at the town.
i had a cevapi overdose pretty early on (it's too good, couldn't stop), but the market in mostar saved me.

it's common sense, but do not for a moment leave your luggage unattended on the train to budapest. take your valuables to the toilet with you even.
>>
>>1194749
Excellent advice here.

Your best bet is to do Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia.. Possibly also Montenegro is you have time.

Poland has nothing on those countries.
>>
File: 11622017366_ecececcdc1_k.jpg (934KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
11622017366_ecececcdc1_k.jpg
934KB, 2048x1152px
>>1194749
>>1194799
Thanks for the advice everyone. If you have any suggestions for Serbia, could you send them my way? Also, if I do Serbia, should I go there first? Or what order makes the most sense via bus/train?
>>
File: P6091837.jpg (6MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
P6091837.jpg
6MB, 3968x2976px
>>1194732
get ready for getting run off the planks at plitvice unless you actually spend some time getting off the beaten path -- fat as fuck russians are super rude. If you have the $$$ grab a motorcycle and get around, it's the best way to survive there. Stay away from montenegro and albania. Shithole extreme
>>
>>1194945
forgot to mention that pic related is the same waterfall. Just thought that was neat.
>>
>>1194945
>>1194946
For sure, I have heard it is popular. Are you saying rent or buy a motorbike?
>>
>>1194953
well so i bought a moto in wales, rode it down around the med, and sold the thing in athens. Honestly the roads were decent enough, but everywhere I went in the balkans there were some sketchy people just eyeballing me. Corrupt border officials, shitty street crime, outside of the major cities is seemed like kind of a shithole area north of Greece. Croatia was absolutely gorgeous and I highly recommend Split, getting an AirBnB in a downtown area will let you clean the fuck up. If I were to go back, I would only go to croatia and slovenia. I don't know how the bus system works, and the trains seemed like they were out of goldeneye, but I imagine the latter is the way to get around. Everything is built around the trains there, so you might have good luck.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.