[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you do when you travel solo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

File: dreamstime_xl_31762033.jpg (182KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
dreamstime_xl_31762033.jpg
182KB, 800x565px
In January I am given 8 days holiday by my workplace. I live in Switzerland so the stronger currency and location in Europe is a plus when travelling.

I will travel alone. My question is... what do you do? If I go to Madrid for example do I just wander around the city staring at shit until its time to eat again?
How do you meet people or get invited to things or whatever? I'm kind of lonely so if I'm just going to end up wandering around like a hobo I might as well stay home. I'm seriously clueless here. Help please.
>>
Book a hostel, find some other travelers, go to a bar, download tinder, go to a concert.

Just to name a few.
>>
>>1192924
Stay in a hostel and it will be easy to find people to hang out with. First day there make sure to say hi to everyone in your room, talk them up a little (where you from? what you up to here? etc), and ask what their plans are for the next few days. Then make plans with whoever seems nice. Go to the common room in your hostel and try to chat with people there, especially if they're sitting alone.

If you find no one go and just enjoy the city on your own. I have done this on some of my trips. In the end I'd rather be walking around the streets of Madrid on my own than sit at home on my own.
>>
>do I just wander around the city staring at shit until its time to eat again?
Yeah pretty much. That's why I try to plan on advance where I should visit, maybe even plan the exact dates and times
>>
File: solo travel.jpg (63KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
solo travel.jpg
63KB, 615x409px
The unspoken truth on /trv/ is that solo travel is an incredibly lonely and unfulfilling experience. When people talk about "travelling alone" they mean getting on the plane alone but then meeting up with fellow travelers at a youth hostel at your destination. You'll feel overwhelmingly self conscious walking around tourist traps alone while surrounded by smiling happy couples.

I'm just telling you the truth. Ignore at your own peril.
>>
>>1193332
>You'll feel overwhelmingly self conscious walking around tourist traps alone while surrounded by smiling happy couples.

So, don't go see tourist traps. If you are staying at a hostel, ask the staff for any shows that day, or places where young people meet. Hostel workers are mostly young local people as well, so they should be able to tell you.
Go there, meet new people, go say hi to a group of people, odds are that someone will come to you if they see you hanging out alone at a show.
Its simple as long as you aren't a depressed introverted sack of boredom. Put a smile on your face and go meet some new folks
>>
>>1193343
You missed his whole point. Most of the stuff you mentioned, especially surrounding the hostel, is not being alone. Anon's whole point is that when most people talk about traveling alone they are never really alone, they just leave from their home country alone, but they typically end up with other people. And that truly traveling alone, where you are by yourself the entire duration of your trip is unfulfilling and not preferable.
>>
>>1193346
Alright, fair point, but OP asked
>How do you meet people or get invited to things or whatever?

I don't think anyone wants to travel alone and actually BE alone the whole trip, not wanting to meet anyone. Like, what are you gonna do? Meet some people, and tell them to fuck off because you want to be alone? Any you will meet some people, at least i always did
>>
>>1193332
I always go alone on trips, never had problems with that. People annoy me, I prefer planning my time on my own.
>>
>>1193348
Why should I meet people? I don't need them to see landmarks, eat exotic foods or other stuff. Whats the point of meeting anyone that will interrupt your plans?
>>
>>1193370
This
OP do you travel to see new countries or to meet new people?
>>
This thread has just confirmed what I have always suspected - /trv/ is not a normal travel discussion forum. It's full of socially inept autists who rage at the thought of having to interact with other human beings during their travels.

Personally I often depart on my journeys alone but look forward to meeting other travelers along the way. This way my travel buddies are disposable and can be dropped if they become annoying or boring.
>>
>>1193346
>>1193332
>where you are by yourself the entire duration of your trip is unfulfilling and not preferable.

For you. I hate traveling with other people and meeting anyone for longer than a quick chat. I also only book hotels, never hostels anymore because people would not leave me the fuck alone.

It highly depends on your personality. If you're a social person, you will feel alone and should get a hostel and take the advice posted in this thread. If you're insecure, drink a bit alcohol and loose yourself up before you interact with other people.

If you confident in yourself and exactly know what you want, in this case not being bothered by other people while traveling around, do it.
>>
Whys no one mentioned free walking tours offered in any city with a population of more than 200k or so. Really easy to meet other people or join a group and if it sucks you just walk off whenever you want
>>
>>1192924
I am 28 and I travel across SE Asia to mostly fuck ladyboys.
The only people I meet in the places I visit are creepy 60-70 year olds and hypersexual chads.
No thanks.
>>
>>1192924
Photography, self-searching, relaxing, going on your own pace and seeing attractions that truly interest you, not a compromised shitinerary.

Best way to travel imo, apart from together with SO. Also fuck hooking up with random people, just experience things your own way.
>>
>>1193332
You really don't have the empathy to understand different people or you're just too antsy to be by yourself. Understandable though I guess for some people.

Traveling alone is the bomb.
>>
There's a difference between "travelling alone" and "travelling with yourself". Of course it's also a question of personality to a certain degree, but imo everyone can do both. If you want, you can do whatever you want to do while travelling. Personally I e.g. enjoy that I can hunt the best photo and don't have to bother making someone wait. Then again, if you pity yourself all the time because you're alone, stay at home. It's not worth the trip.
>>
>>1192924
It really depends for me, sometimes I go and find people to hangout with, and other times I try to walk the place like a local, finding small quirky shit

Finding people to talk to is always so easy too, Eastern Europe is a little harder on the startup, but once you're in, you're in

I go to bars, local mom and pop shops, B&Bs, and other shit like that
>>
>>1193332
you're probably right when it comes to that type of personality, or the first couple times traveling alone, idk i still get lonely and bored spells, but when i get that mini high from being completely free, its so fucking worth it, makes for great memories

also traveling with a partner kinda sucks, she wants to do dumb tourist shit

also if you travel solo 100% of the time, that is a little weird
>>
>>1193332
>being completely emerced into a culture, not worrying about what another person or god forbid a group of people wants to do, and getting to be yourself doing what you want in a completely alien, foreign place, not allowing yourself to only speak english with your friends but instead learn the local language.
>peril

Pick one queer
>>
OP here. Thanks for the replies.

>hostel
I won't be staying in one. My rich friend there has a really fancy apartment (120m2 +) in central Madrid. I will be there. Maybe I will go to a hostel just to pretend, like looking for brochures or leech off wifi that I don't need. Pathetic I know but hey I'm from 4chan.

>tinder
Downloaded it already before going. I hate that app but I will try it. I'm decent looking and /fit/ so that might help.

>>1193332
>You'll feel overwhelmingly self conscious walking around tourist traps alone while surrounded by smiling happy couples
I feel that in my home city already but I rather be in Madrid than here.

>>1193373
I'm not going to lie, I'm lonely now. Recent break up. She got someone new just now which is the reason for this trip. This trip is a distraction. I've seen Madrid before but I had fun. But I really want to have a fling.

>>1193370
Because human interaction is one of the cornerstones of life? Because they build up the society of the place you're seeing? God, I thought I was jaded.

>>1193448
Agreed but I want a hookup. I live in Europe so travelling to Madrid (or any EU city) I can do pretty much any weekend I feel like it. I do admit I prefer their culture.

Again, thanks for the replies. I will be monitoring it for anything new.
>>
>>1192924
The same thing you do when you travel in groups, just solo.
>>
>>1192924
I recommend using a site called meetups... It's great to jump in on small public gatherings and parties. I've met a lot of really good friends that way, and if you're not a total shut in you might even get laid after a bar crawl.

For Spain in particular: https://www.meetup.com/cities/es/madrid/
>>
>>1194025
>checked out what's going on in my city out of curiosity
>it's a choice between .NET, C#, Ruby, Swift, JS, SQL and Python
Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna get laid.
>>
>>1193332
Pathetic. A constant need to be reassured by someone else. I travel alone and barely talk to anyone because I dont crave validation
>>1193346
>>
>>1193332
lol, love that pic. But I can be the hand and just place a hot fake torso in-front.
>>
File: 1477307713066.jpg (214KB, 345x336px) Image search: [Google]
1477307713066.jpg
214KB, 345x336px
>>1193343
>depressed introverted sack of boredom

could this be the reason why people avoid me?? Nah, it's them who suck.
>>
File: 1480206689843.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1480206689843.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Everyone is different. I actually enjoy being by myself. I pay better attention to all the details and the the different sites. Also, I can go and eat at whatever place I desire. There are a few lone wolfs out there by choice.

This is one of the reason I was a successful long-haul truck driver for many years. I would get the best gigs, because I hardly ever need it time off. Unlike my colleagues who stared complaining and crying cause they got homesick after two or three weeks out. Hmmm, now that I remember same with the military. I also enjoyed those long deployments and visiting different ports all over the world. Well, people did annoy me here at times, but I couldn't ditch the bastards.

So, traveling alone is a treat for me. I've gone with gf's as well, and it's okay I guess.
>>
>>1192924
>What do you do when you travel solo?
I usually search for a nice place to get high, and then, well, get high...

That's why I don't go to cities, national parks are the shit! I love the US just for the national parks.
>>
File: Elvis-concert-Philadelphia-1957-.jpg (747KB, 2461x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Elvis-concert-Philadelphia-1957-.jpg
747KB, 2461x3000px
>>1193332
i acknowledge the fact that most people traveling are happy together.
i truly feel most people dont understand me, and that most mates for me, would just
end up with me settling for someone i really dont feel connected with. I haven't found her yet
and im okay with that.

i still enjoy traveling because i feel im still experiencing my life away from the repetitive reality
that has absorbed most of this world.

>>1192924
to answer your question OP.
i listen to my playlist.
i usually start a trip with this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JskztPPSJwY
and play it again every few hours while i drive through the desert.
then eventually go home and write poetry.
>>
>>1193332
>You'll feel overwhelmingly self conscious walking around tourist traps alone while surrounded by smiling happy couples

Not really... on my year-long trip I rarely saw tourist sites with other people. I didn't feel awkward ever after the first week, no one else really cares that you're there.

But solo travel does get boring and lonely if you don't have people to hang out with at other times... so stay at hostels, go to couchsurfing meetups, or find some company on tinder. All super easy ways.
>>
>>1192924
Walk.
>>
>>1193332
>You'll feel overwhelmingly self conscious walking around tourist traps alone while surrounded by smiling happy couples.

Not everyone thinks like you, so long as you are little personable and know some of the culture where you are visiting, you shouldn't have a problem. As stated hostels are a real thing and I've never had problems making friends in there.

Generally I meet people at a bar tag around with them sometimes, so long as you aren't weird or too drunk you'll have fun. If you're under the drinking age of <place you are going> it does make it a bit harder.
>>
> what do you do
whatever the hell you want. If you don't like being alone at home, what makes you think you'll enjoy being alone in a foreign fucking country?
>>
Bizarre
Talking to other travellers and locals is the only thing that makes travelling worthwhile
If I go for more than a few days without any substantive conversation with anybody, it's like, what the fuck am I doing here?

I travel for experiences, and they don't happen just going around alone not talking to anyone
>>
File: 1475805161937.jpg (41KB, 287x287px) Image search: [Google]
1475805161937.jpg
41KB, 287x287px
I've had worse experiences traveling with other people than traveling solo.

To many people sit around an bitch or don't ever want to agree on one thing to do. Only time I will travel with someone is if we all agree on a set schedule BEFORE we put any cash down or reservations.

>go with 5 friends somewhere twice
>no one can agree where to get a beer or drink
>half the people sit in the hotel most of the day and drink
>NO ONE can agree on anything just pass ideas around and go "I dunno, sounds okay"
>end up going out on my own and having a blast
>come back
>everyone is on their laptops just gaming, and never left

Look I am all for doing what you want when you go somewhere, but when you are traveling somewhere aways why the ever loving FUCK would you just sit in the hotel and dick around on your computer, you can do that at home
>>
go out for drinks at night
talk to random people while loitering
have sex with local girls
have sex with hookers
>>
>>1197012
This is the way to go. Maybe check out some city attractions and wonder around.
>>
>>1196999
:^(
>>
I fucking love solo travel. I get to do whatever the fuck I want and since I really like good food I don't have to compromise regarding budgeting. If it's 2 pm and I'm exhausted I can go take a siesta instead of plodding through a schedule and not enjoying it.
It's easy to meet people too on a tour or out at a bar. I will say sometimes you'll meet a tour guide or someone who's like "You're traveling alone??? Why????" (more common in America than in Europe) but i feel bad for people who can't fathom being by themselves and having a good time.
>>
Hey I'm a solo traveller going to Madrid too this summer. I'm into urban exploration but it seems outside of Gran Via there isn't much to explore in Madrid so I'm kinda regretting this already
>>
>>1193410
Are there seriously Chads in SE Asia looking to bang hookers? The meme is that the only people who utilize these services in that part of the world are failures at life
>>
File: mccandless.jpg (606KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
mccandless.jpg
606KB, 1200x630px
"Happiness is only real when shared".

Pic related is the ultimate solo traveler and above is the conclusion he came to before his slow, lonely, agonizing death.
>>
>>1192924
I stay in hostels and jerk off silently in my dorm room bed
>>
File: 1413056631385.jpg (327KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1413056631385.jpg
327KB, 1024x1024px
>>1198293
>it's a "bitter person bases his opinion of an entire gender on his experiences with one shitty person" episode
>>
>>1198342
You're her, aren't you.
>>
File: 83564539.gif (996KB, 500x204px) Image search: [Google]
83564539.gif
996KB, 500x204px
>>1195443
>>
>>1196999
>experience is only valid in a social sense

What a fag
>>
File: 1366478840816.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1366478840816.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
>>1194025
>mfw there are some groups on this site I would like to join
>>
>>1193332

How insecure and desperate for validation would someone have to be to feel this way?

I travel by myself frequently, there is nothing wrong with it. I can go wherever I want whenever I want. If I feel like it I talk to locals and other tourists on the buses and ferries. Sometimes I meet other people and we see things together. But I don't see why being by yourself while travelling would be unfulfilling.
>>
>>1197689
>above is the conclusion he came to before his slow, lonely, agonizing death
really?
>>
File: birdfrogmeme.png (29KB, 613x556px) Image search: [Google]
birdfrogmeme.png
29KB, 613x556px
>>1197001
FUCKING THIS

I'm a young college student so it might be a little different, but travelling with high maintenance people is horrid.

>3 friends and I do a road trip from Ohio to LA down route 66 and back up to I80 to go back to Ohio
>high maintenance friend we'll call Fred shows up with the car we're supposed to travel in 4 hours late on the first day.
>can't stay in Mark Twain national forest because of this so we have to stay in a KOA
>Fred suddenly demands that we get 10 hours of sleep each night instead of the planned on 6 hours with a fire and wake up at 8 A.M.
>Fred takes literally an hour and a half to get ready each morning and doesn't help us pack the tent.
>Fred complains and demands that we go out to eat when we can't afford to.
>Fred gets mad when we want to climb around rocks and run through the woods in parks
>Fred whines when we want to get up at 4 A.M. to see the sun rise over the grand canyon
>Fred then wants to do another trip this summer
>friends and I plan on doing a trip without him

I've never traveled alone, but I plan on going to Europe alone this summer. I would imagine traveling is best with 1 or 2 other friends who are very flexible and stoic about what the group decides to do.

Never travel with a high maintenance person.
>>
>>1198897
Yes. McCandless kept a journal and that quote was one of his final entries before he died. Despite what all the autistic Real Traveler edgelords on this boards think, humans are social creatures and require interaction with others for mental health.
>>
>>1198916
>I would imagine traveling is best with 1 or 2 other friends who are very flexible and stoic about what the group decides to do.

Or if you just agree on some sort of rules? I know it can sound crazy, but it worked for me and my friends in the past few years.

Each trip everyone writes a top 10 list of preferred sights and activities in the order of preference. The top 3 become must-do ones, the rest are all optional. For the top 3 everyone tags along, for the rest only if we really like it. Let's say the rest would be the ones where one person would get there 12-hr sleep while the other two are sightseeing (and then we meet up at an agreed place).

Also we make sure that there's a sort of alone time every day. If we can't be physically alone for whatever reason (long bus ride or idk), we make sure not to talk to each other for at least one hour per day. Or more depending how long the trip is, the longer the trip, the more alone time we need.
>>
>>1198922
What happened to the /trv/ that hated this guy? I want them back.
>>
I think it's completely fucked up when I'm traveling and see westerners grouped up to stay isolated from where they are and get shtifaced every night.
I pretty much always hook up with a local girl on day 1. She will introduce you to other locals and show you around the real country not shitty tourist traps. If you just want to hang out with other foreigners why not just stay home?
>>
>>1197688
It's mostly creepy old men and college clowns that pay for sex. Being white in East Asia is like being a woman in a bar. 90% of the people you see will fuck you if they get the chance. I'm not really a Chad but you can literally jump on any dating site and line up a new girl for every night of your stay. Women over 25 are treated like old cows and most local men are too busy chasing teenagers.
>>
>>1199114
>real country
>tourist traps

When will this silly meme end. Most tourist traps exist because the things worth seeing are popular.

And your question is absurd, you cannot view the landscapes and monuments of another country for real at home. But you can enjoy them with other travellers when you are in the country.
>>
>>1199441
No it's not. When i was in Bangkok i had the chance to visit all the tourist "temples" in the govt section of the city, but fortunately one of the girls i met took me to their real temples. There is an insane and profound difference between the two. When i left the tourist zone seeing other foreigners was very rare, but the locals were insanely friendly, and you don't getting that "i want your money" vibe from them.

Ultimately i guess it depends what you want from traveling. For me i want to experience how others live and get to know their perspective. Most westerners i've met in my travels and to get fucked, get drunk, and visit tourist traps designed around getting their money.
>>
>>1199114
>>1199445
Woah we've got an unironic Real Travelerâ„¢ right here.
>>
>>1199471
You laugh but a guy i know flew his whole family to Thailand for 12K and stayed in a resort the entire time. When he came back he asked me why i said there was cockroaches and rats because he didn't see any, and then told me how amazing it was to see the famous temples and how it changed their whole family for the better.

People are fucking insane, are you like the suburb cuck in my story above?
>>
File: IMG_20150215_095148893_HDR.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150215_095148893_HDR.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>1198916
Been there
>5 of us go on a skiing holiday
>7am, 4 of us up eager to get out on the slopes
>Faggot friend refuses to go out until 9am earliest
>>
>>1193332
subtle troll

Have another (You) for how well put together it is.
>>
File: 261330_1_1.jpg (326KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
261330_1_1.jpg
326KB, 1500x1500px
>>1197001
Time to ditch your "friends"

>>1195436
This. Its sad, but thats the truth.

>>1197683
Now you are locked in into socializing

>>1193332
>You'll feel overwhelmingly self conscious walking around tourist traps alone
Huh? Never ever had this feeling.

>>1198916
>not leaving in the first few days

>>1199025
Dont worry, we still hate him

>>1199677
>4 people bending their backs for 1

>pic kinda related
>>
>>1197688
Yes, it's Chads. Not just college boys, as this guy says >>1199116. To chads and bogans, pussy is pussy. They are looking to get drunk and fuck and the fact they can do so for a pennance. Look at the Leceister football team hooker scandal in Thailand, or that efukt video with the dude fucking a ladyboy.

>>1199445
>Most westerners i've met in my travels and to get fucked, get drunk, and visit tourist traps designed around getting their money.

Most westerners vacation for escapism and relaxation. Relieve stress and rejuvenate. It's the closest to legally get to the experience of the "The Purge". You NEET real travelers who don't do shit on the day to day don't seem to get this
>>
File: 1483500361391.png (391KB, 500x756px) Image search: [Google]
1483500361391.png
391KB, 500x756px
>>1199692
>chads
>>
>>1199690
>4 people bending their backs for one
Trust me lad it was easier that way
>>
>>1197688
Chad here, yes some of us do travel to thailand.
When you've got the looks, the white skin and the smooth talk, it's just too easy over there.

I've only been once and fucked 20+ women during the 3 weeks I was there. Never paid a girl anything
>>
>>1199699
So how does Chad compare with Niger?
>>
I prefer to travel solo but don't mind meeting up with people at destinations and places everyone agreed to before. Some issues I've had with staying with friends.

>Hotel booked doesn't have enough bed space
>X is a light sleeper and Z is snoring
>No one can agree where to go in person
>Anon took a shower too long and now late to an event
>Anon has to complain about what he feels went wrong that day
>Anon wants to not sleep or wakes up so early he annoys everyone else trying to because he is bored
>Hey anon you should be back by X time, opening the door wakes me up!

Form now on I am meeting up with people at places then going from there, I don't care if the hotel cost is a bit more. Sometimes even on a trip I want some time away from people. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing my friends and shit but oh fuck man if we can't annoy the shit out of each other at times
>>
I will travel solo soon
2017 is my year, I cannot expect my friends do something instead clubbing and drink beers, I have to do alone and I will not regret of it.

ILOVEYOUGUYS
>>
THE POINT OF TRAVELLING ALONE IT TO MEET PEOPLE YOU FUCKIN AUTISTS
>>
>>1199922
Niger has BBC, but Chad is thicker.
>>
>>1199922
Niger has dumb river noooo one cares about
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.