[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike Traveling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4411.jpg (113KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4411.jpg
113KB, 500x375px
I've been trying to find ways to traverse the world being a poorfag and I think I've found my best option. I'm inspired by this guy:
https://youtu.be/Z0wAPztOO2U
He has an ongoing series where he travels throughout the Americas on his bike, starting in Canada (visiting Alaska) and working down to Argentina.

I'm not really worried about dying, I kinda hate contemporary society and this is preferential to a bullet through my head.

I was wondering what tips you guys could give me.
>the most sturdy bike for the job
>recommended stops along the way
>Etc.
>>
File: NationalParksMapMedium.jpg (387KB, 2048x1401px) Image search: [Google]
NationalParksMapMedium.jpg
387KB, 2048x1401px
Bump
>>
>>1191103

good luck my friend.

I have been thinking about doing this myself, but instead across the USA, I just need to buy a motorcycle.

Sorry I do not have any experience or advice.

PS. Just do it. Hope we meet.
>>
>>1191173
I thought about that, kind of like a early Che Guevara type life. I just don't feel like worrying about gas.

Good luck to you as well, remember to savor every moment.
>>
>>1191103
Don't think too much about it. Just use common sense. Learn Bike Repair. Save up a little for food and supplies on your way. And make sure to not be stranded in the desert or hit by a drunken truck driver.
>>
>>1191103
I have done some limited travelling on bike so can give you some advice. I travelled from the north to the South of France then to Switzerland. Here is some advice I could give.

1) LEARN BASIC BIKE REPAIRS and bring spare inner-tubing is a must.
2) In terms of what bikes to use, I would stick to hybrid bikes (can't give specifics as you haven't said a budget, but don't buy one for less than £300, it will not last). What I will say is this, don't get a bike that looks expensive. You don't want to be in a museum, to then go outside and find out your bike has been stolen...
3) On that note, buy a sturdy lock, not one made of rubber, but one that has a metal chain!
4) Fitness and general biking ability: Sorry I'm assuming you are somewhat of a novice/intermediate biker. General fitness does not necessarily cut it, if you're not used to being on a bike. You need to be able to keep up a steady pace, between 25-30km an hour (depends on road quality and general conditions of course). Further, if you are planning to cycle in busy cities, especially developing countries, awareness of road safety and the general rules (which usually don't apply in developing countries...). You say your not afraid of dying, but you still want to enjoy as much as you can right.
5) This is the most important point, MAKE sure you actually want to travel this way. I'm a reasonably experienced long distance cyclist, but at times, I seriously wanted to just stop and get the fucking train. You don't want the cycling to become a chore, otherwise you will stop enjoying what you do. If that is the case, especially in Asia, buy a cheap motorbike or whatever. Maybe give it a trial run, in a country with good cycling infrastructure, like the Netherlands (which is relatively flat), to see if you enjoy it.

I can't give you specifics of where to do, outside of France and Germany, but if you have any other bike related travelling questions, I may be able to help.Best of luck!
>>
>>1191103
Disclaimer : I'm a road cyclist but never done touring but I have friends who have done it and gave me tips about touring on a bike.

1. This concerns every cyclist but learn how a bike works and how it can be repaired. A bike is a very simple object, once you learn how to set it up and repair it, it will make you truly self sufficient.

2. fitness isn't important. You don't need a specific training but be very very cautious about your pace (start slowly like 20-25 km/h max), your caloric intake and water, cycling burns a lot of calories and water, ideally have 1.5l of water on your bike at all time, eat food every one and a half hour at least.

3. Comfort : Get a bike that actually fits you, nothing worse than cycling with constant back pain or penis numbness. On that last part : bring gear to accomodate your ride, cycling shorts are a must for prolonged riding

4. about the bike : you can buy a cheap bike and you might do a lot of repair or buy a decent one and be done with it. Keep in mind that only in big cities you might get your bike stolen, people don't care that much about your bike. Buy a bike where you can fit mudguards, panniers, etc and most importantly that can fit wide tires, this will greatly improve comfort (35c to 45c)

4) Enjoy, this isn't a race
>>
if you're just starting, stay out of the west, it's way too hilly and you'll probably have 40 lbs between bike and equipment

a trailer instead of panier bags might make more sense

long distance travel is a lot easier on a recumbent bike

>>1191176
it costs a lot more for food to pedal a bike than gas to power a motorcycle
>>
>>1191506
I plan on completely constructing my bike so that I know how every bit works. And I don't mean from scratch, of course.

>>1191535
I don't just mean the cost, but means of acquiring it aswell. Maneuverability will also be greatly decreased with a motorcycle. I plan on carrying my bike a great deal to hike rougher trails or detours. I've seen many bikers have their bike on their back either collapsed or deconstructed.
But yeah, food will be an issue sometimes. From what I've seen, people living in remote areas are a lot more giving.
>>
File: IMG_1600.png (524KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1600.png
524KB, 500x750px
Oh, and another important topic; water. I'm an American so the only water I've ever had has been extremely clean (besides a few sips from streams as a child). I'm obviously going to have to refill a couple times south of the border, and I was wondering how I might address the beast that is sickness. The best option I can think of is to have small portions at first, enough to get sick but not too bad, and hope that my immune system is prepared for round two and three and four.
>>
>>1191103
Check out crazyguyonabike.com seriously, that's THE site for bike touring.

Have fun!
>>
I'm getting a lot of warnings about South America, none to my surprise. I'm I'll start off in Argentina instead and after reaching Alaska I might continue on into Europe.
>>
>>1192193
Nah nevermind
>>
>>1191546
have someone from flint, michigan send you some water.
>>
>>1191546

Get a lifestraw, or a bottle im pretty sure they make those too. It filters bacteria and shit so you wont get sick but shit like oil and chemical contamination will get through the filter so you cant be straight up drinking puddle water.

Regardless eventually youll get sick, youll have ungodly shits and cramps and vomiting but youll pull through just lay low for a few days. I forgot what the locals recomended in mexico it was like immodium and orange tang and something else i think but it was ridiculously effective. It sounded really bullshit and ghetto but it worked so if a local recommends something dumb they might actually know wtf theyre talking about.
>>
>>1192703

A lifestraw is great in first world countries where the water will likely be dirty but not completely contaminated. In a third world country it's next to useless since they don't filter out viruses which frequently get into the shitty plumbing of those kinds of places. Bottled water really is the only option if you want to be safe. 9 times out of 10 you'll be fine drinking from the tap or with a lifestraw in these places, but the 10th is so excruciating it's hardly worth the risk.
>>
>>1191548
>crazyguyonabike.com

a college buddy of mine did your route, OP. From Alaska down to Argentina, biked it all. His journal is somewhere on that site, but there's tons of others doing the same route. He didn't really plan it that much. There's tons of guesthouses for cyclists, once you hit the first one they'll tell you about the rest further down the road. In some places (rural south america) he would just go to the local firefighters and they would let him crash at the station, or pitch his tent in the backyard. Don't be a faggot, anybody can do it.
>>
I've done some touring.
Surly makes great frames that can be used for anything. Highly recommended. Do learn bike repairs, but unlike the previous anon said, it can be surprisingly complicated and difficult when you don't know what you're doing. Take a class, if you can, it'll be faster.
Warmshowers.org is a good site if you're capable of being a good guest. If not, you can shower at a gym, for a price.
Bike touring is probably the best way to tour, hands down. It's cheap, authentic, and reliable. But you must prepare correctly. Get some good shoes. Good tools. You don't need an insanely good bike, just a durable one. Shimano XT and LX components are easy to work on and plentiful, don't fit your bike with campagnolo or other shit that's too specialized. Bring a compass, get MAPS (not just your phone), decide whether or not you'll want to be bringing so much gear that you'll need a trailer. Trailers are fine, but it's extra wheels and weight. It's up to you. It's ALL up to you, that's the best part.
You won't need a fortune, but still, don't travel broke. It's a bummer not being able to buy a beer when you want one.
>>
>>1195012
Recommended shoes? I'd like something that goes good with hikes aswell, I'll be stopping constantly to fuck about and explore (rural areas of course).
>>
>>1191506
>fitness isn't important
meh, it sort of is. at least ass-fitness and being able to sit down for extended periods of time. from what I hear from non-cyclists that's the main issue for them when trying to pick up long/-er rides.
>Get a bike that actually fits you, nothing worse than cycling with constant back pain or penis numbness
but you're aware of that here. stand up often and for quite some time is my tip

But I'm with you man. Go for it. Paying for food costs a lot of money though. In well-off countries people might just give you money (don't count on it obv, but it helps), offer you lunch for some stories. Or you can dumpster dive. I crossed Europe (kind of) with 180 euros but with no planning or experience be ready to be unprepared haha. We all learn quickly when pressed.
>>
>>1191103
Oh shit, didn't know Iohan makes youtube videos. I follow him on Instagram, but had no idea he puts this much time and effort into it! I can see how this inspired you.
>>
I will borrow this tread if it's ok. I find it unnecessary to make my own. I want to go by bike from London to Gronignen in Holland and wonder if anyone has any experience of cycling this route, or at least from, say, Calais and upwards? I would gladly receive tips on best way to travel, stops along the way and so on. Thanks
>>
>>1197172
I only have this for you.
http://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/
Note that you can select the route type, speed, etc.
>>
enjoy being a truckers rape slave as soon as you get to USA
>>
>>1197172
I cycled from Cambridge to Eindhoven and back, but that was with using Rotterdam's ferry so probably nothing will apply to you.

Also tried to cycle from Dover to London, but got sick of the A2 halfway and hitched a ride. There always are the smaller roads, but navigating them might be an issue if you want to keep a good pace. You a UK native cyclist?
>>
>>1191103

Hey OP thanks for sharing this channel, was in the mood for watching something like this and Iohan seems like a nice guy.
>>
>>1197213
that is a great start, thanks

>>1197256
aha no I don't think your experience would apply, at least not the route, unless there is nothing spectacular to see on the way? We will not be in a hurry, and a pleasant experience, things to see, scenery, quality of the cycle route, is way more important then speed. Note that none of us have lots of experience going by bike very far, but mostly cycling in urban environments. I have no experience of cycling in the uk.
>>
I am going to bump this thread in the search for tips to see when cycling the Dutch coast. Or should I go inland?
>>
>>1199361
Just be warned that you rarely actually see the sea biking along coastal cycling routes. Often the roads are not directly next to the shores.
>>
I'll share with you some BROTIPS from a fellow biker. I used to travel just around my hometown, and it is pretty damn incredible still.

0. Check up at the doctor and dentist. Toothache can make you crazy while on the road.

1. It's really harder to do it alone.
2. Be very petty with comfort. You will need a VERY good seat and handlebar. Pic related. Having options os positioning yourself is key
3. Use GPS and cyclo-computer. Don't rely on you cellphone.
4. If not on a budget, buy a generator hub to power your devices while travelling.
5. MIND THE CENTER OF GRAVITY WHILE PACKING ON THE BIKE. Practice packing, have a routine.
6. Buy a light CROMOLY older frame. They are cheap and can be easily welded in any farm or small town, aluminum can't.
7. Pack some tubes and repairs, or you can use more advanced technology.
8. Practice repairing and fine tuning the gears, they go off pretty quickly. Learn to fix the brakes and to change tires. Learn to open and close a link on the chain, very important. Make a list of tools you need. They're small and sometimes made of light plastic.
9. Use wheel blockages, almost obligatory.
10. Suspension is a bummer. They absorb too much energy if you're spending whole days in a bike. Go rigid, with a softer front PSI. Also, one less thing to break.
11. Pack meds, anti-diarrhea, anti-alergic, etc. Double your attention on this. You need to be healthy and strong for a long period.
12. When packing at home, put everything you need over your bed. When you done, remove half of the stuff. Weight is no1 priority. Remember you can probably buy stuff when you arrive.
13. Tell your mechanic how many km you plan to ride. He will probably suggest stainless steel cables, anti-flat fluid for tubes, etc. Remember this: FINDING PARTS IS YOUR WORSE ENEMY.
14. Speaking of cables, use cable brakes. They're easily fixable; oil brakes aren't.
15. Impermeable jacket, pants and shoes. Obligatory.
>>
>>1199379
cont.

16. Gloves. Quality ones. You don't need your hands tingling and your thumbs aching at the end of the day, trust me
17. Keep in touch with someone and give them your trip plans, for safety reasons.
18. Scan all your documents and keep them in your email account, cloud, whatever.
19. Make backups: money, documents, etc
20. Carefully make iPod playlists, you will need it.
21. Bring a paper map/road guide with you.

I don't know if i got it all.
Please answer my thread >>1199368 :)
>>
>>1199379
>>1199381
So much trash.
>>
>>1199375
you know of any other scenic routes that offer more fun and interesting stuff to visit? I am interested in pretty much anything.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.