[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm applying for an 8 week summer internship with my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1475437881194.jpg (1019KB, 1280x886px) Image search: [Google]
1475437881194.jpg
1019KB, 1280x886px
So I'm applying for an 8 week summer internship with my university in one of three cities: Dublin, Hong Kong, or Singapore. I'm wavering on which one to pick, so I'd like to ask /trv/ which one provides the best opportunities for in-region travel, food, sightseeing, and etc.

>Hong Kong
I'm a huge sinoboo with a massive boner for Chinese history, food, and culture, but: (1) I don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese (2) My ex-gf is from Macau and if I went to Hong Kong she'd want to see me, which is no bueno. On the other hand, being in country would be a great opportunity to learn Cantonese, and the food is dank. How easy is it to get around with English?

>Singapore
I've heard it provides easy access to places like Malaysia, Indonesia, and other countries in SEA fairly easily, and that the food is fantastic. On the other hand, I've heard that there's not that much to see, it's extremely hot, and crazy laws. Any veracity to those claims? And how easy is it to get around with English?

>Dublin
I'm of Irish descent and have always wanted to go to Ireland. I speak the language, there's good food and good beer, and interesting stuff to see, with easy access to the continent. On the other hand, I studied abroad in Europe earlier this year, and I'd kind of like a change of pace.

Right now I'm leaning towards either Singapore or Dublin.
>>
Dublin is expensive as fuck to rent and its hard to find places too. Nice city though. I'll probably be heading to there next year for college still though
>>
File: kfc china.jpg (56KB, 645x542px) Image search: [Google]
kfc china.jpg
56KB, 645x542px
You can't go wrong with any of those -- pick the one you'd guess you'd have the hardest time getting back to later, maybe. Or the one that is less likely to fill up before they get to you?

Sounds like maybe Ireland is pretty similar to something you just did... but I did enjoy Ireland, can't recommend against it.
>>
File: singapore_fines.jpg (52KB, 300x368px) Image search: [Google]
singapore_fines.jpg
52KB, 300x368px
>>1190553
>>Singapore
>I've heard it provides easy access to places like Malaysia, Indonesia, and other countries in SEA fairly easily, and that the food is fantastic.

True

>On the other hand, I've heard that there's not that much to see,

I guess. It's a city-state, you can't really compare it, in terms of things to see and do, with a whole full0-sized country. But, as you say, it is a good jumping-off spot for SEA, or Australia/NZ if you are from the US and those places are normally a fuck-ton of a plane ride to reach. Or India, if that interests you.

>it's extremely hot,

And humid, don't forget humid.

>and crazy laws.

Yes, and penalties for breaking them seem draconian to westerners. But, you get a stable, clean society that way -- just learn the laws.

Pic related -- Singapore is a fine city.

>And how easy is it to get around with English?

Very.
>>
>Hong Kong
>How easy is it to get around with English?

It is a former colony (or whatever they called it) of England; I bet somebody there speaks English.
>>
>>1190606
Sounds decent enough. I'm not a smoker nor the type to go out and do crazy clubbing. I'm more in it for the cultural/culinary experience anyway. So I think I'd survive. I'll just make sure not to spit out my gum on the street. Do you take flights to Malaysia, or is there a bus/train or ferry service?

>>1190607
But my ex-gf is from Macau which was a former Portuguese colony and neither she nor anyone she knows speaks any Portuguese. But then again English is the world's lingua franca so I'm sure I'd be fine.

>>1190569
>>1190604
I'll keep it on the short list. Which uni are you applying to anon? Trinity College? I'm thinking of applying there for grad school.

Thanks for the recs all
>>
Don't come to Singapore. We're full.
>>
>>1190553
yes we speak english here
>>
>>1190958
Prove it.
>>
>>1190553
I haven't been to the others but Singapore is AMAZING, especially if you're into Chinese food and flora(plants) If you are going to be there for 6 weeks you might want to see how much school you're going to be having, but if it's about 7 hours a day I would recommend Singapore for sure
>>
>>1190765
>Which uni are you applying to anon?
IDK how youre applying but Ive a good few colleges down on my application.
First choice at the moment is UCD but I've a science course in Trinity near the top of the list. Trinity will looks good on a CV abroad if you don't fancy staying in Ireland afterwards
>>
Dublin nigga, go to Galway when you get the chance.
>>
>>1191009
herro
see?
>>
>>1190765
>But my ex-gf is from Macau which was a former Portuguese colony and neither she nor anyone she knows speaks any Portuguese. But then again English is the world's lingua franca so I'm sure I'd be fine.
Depends which part of HK you'll be in. The New Territories area has fewer people who can speak English compared to HK Island/Kowloon/touristy areas. In saying that, if you go into a more traditional restaurant especially in the NT area then the menu will probably all be in Chinese. You can definitely get by with only knowing English know - the public transport system and road signs uses English. Younger HK citizens have decent enough English if you ever need help. If you want to easy-modo HK, you can just stay on HK Island's expat areas and feel as if you're not even in an Asian country.
I have never studied or driven in HK before but feel free to ask any other questions if you've got them
>>
> (2) My ex-gf is from Macau and if I went to Hong Kong she'd want to see me, which is no bueno.

Fucking seriously? Have you ever thought about the possibility of the following exchange:

"Hey wanna meet up?"
"No."

It sounds like Hong Kong is the place you want to visit the most out of that list. Are you really gonna pass up on the oportunity because you're scared of facing a girl?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.