[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Ultimate US Road Trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 24

File: Road Trip rough plan.png (976KB, 1572x848px) Image search: [Google]
Road Trip rough plan.png
976KB, 1572x848px
Hey /trv/! I'm a 19 year old from the UK and I'm planning a massive road trip with my buddy that will go across most of the US and I'd like some help. Money shouldn't be an issue for me, I've got more than enough time to save up and at the rate I'm currently saving it's looking like the total budget will be around £15,000.

Anyway this is the map I've planned so far. So I'm starting from Boston, MA, from there I'm going to rent an RV from Cruise America, they've got a depot near the New Hampshire border. Once I've got the RV we will be heading down south ect ect, you can see the map.

So the blue lines represent the route I know that I'll definitely be going along so far (though this is still of course flexible). The red lines are very rough routes that have yet to be fleshed out, and the black line is the "I haven't got a fucking clue" route. This black bit is the part I need some help with. I know the midwest is probably the most boring part of America but I gotta get back to Massachusetts somehow. Could anyone suggest some interesting things for me to do here so that I can figure out a route? I like anything outdoorsy things, anything spooky, historical places, nice cities, national and state parks, nice scenery ect ect. Just anything really interesting.

Oh I should also mention the timing.
I'm thinking of going for four months in 2018, (is four months enough time to do all this? or even too much time?), July, August, September and October. The plan is to start in early July and get back to Massachusetts in time for Halloween as I've always wanted to spend a Halloween in Massachusetts.

Also feel free to suggest anything interesting along the blue or red lines that I may not already have on the map. And talk to me about things I'll need to be prepared for that I may not have considered.
>>
File: south-of-the-border.png (340KB, 580x387px) Image search: [Google]
south-of-the-border.png
340KB, 580x387px
Sup bongbro, this looks pretty sweet. I'm 24 and have seen maybe 50 to 60 percent of the areas/cities you're hitting. Havent RV'd before or done any trips on this scale, though. Some random thoughts:

-make sure, if you haven't, that you can actually rent the RV. At least with regular motor vehicles, there are often restrictions on people under 25.

-when you go through the southeast, instead of hugging the coast, consider riding through the appalachians on skyline drive/the blue Ridge parkway. Appalachia is a beautiful and unique region. I lived in the Asheville area for a while and loved the remote swimming holes and creeks. Also, I find the i95 corridor (the coast) to be dull for driving.

-when you're in the Austin area, consider a day trip to New Braunfels to either go river tubing or hit Schlitterbahn, which is a massive water park

-don't knock the simple experience of driving endlessly across boring farmland. Its a quintessential American experience. Bring lots of music and eat lots of decadent fast food. Don't feel bad if you get bored though, it will happen

Anyway, hope you have an incredible trip. I'd like to see some pics when you finish it.
>>
>>1187996
Yes I heard of the fact that most RV rental services require you to be 25, however by looking around a bit I found Cruise America which allows you to do it at 21. This is the one I'm going for:

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/standard_rv.aspx

I think it looks pretty neat.

>instead of hugging the coast, consider riding through the appalachians on skyline drive/the blue Ridge parkway

This has been something I've been internally debating. A friend of mine recommended the Outer Banks in North Carolina and I thought it seemed like a real cool stretch of road. My logic was that I'm gonna see plenty of mountains when I get to the west coast so I might as well put the outer banks over the blue ridge mountains. Though admittedly I don't know a whole lot about them. If you say they're so unique and that the southeast coast is kinda dull then I'll definitely put it into more consideration.

>don't knock the simple experience of driving endlessly across boring farmland. Its a quintessential American experience

Oh yeah I know it's known as the most boring part of the country but at the same time I'm still looking forward to it. It'll definitely be the most relaxed and chill part of the trip for sure. The thought of driving through calm farmlands for ages while chatting with my friend and listening to music sounds oddly appealing. Though I would still like to know some more substantial things to do in the midwest.

Thanks for the suggestions though mate. It's a little while off yet but I'll be taking lots of pictures and sharing stories here
>>
>>1187924
>going to all those shitty southern states
>>
>>1188056
If I'm driving around the entire country then of course I'm going to go through the south. Plus Southern States aren't bad. Louisiana seems like a really great place. and I'm gonna wanna see all that cool civil war history stuff. I could understand Alabama and Georgia being kinda boring though, that's why I'm looking for suggestions.

How would you do a road trip around the entire of the US any differently?
>>
>>1188002
Word up.

>A friend of mine recommended the Outer Banks in North Carolina and I thought it seemed like a real cool stretch of road. My logic was that I'm gonna see plenty of mountains when I get to the west coast so I might as well put the outer banks over the blue ridge mountains.

Yeah, that all makes sense. I'm super biased towards the app. mountains but the Rockies are definitely even more stunning. Haven't been to the outer banks yet but have heard they're real nice. And actually the dull stretches are mostly more south of Charleston anyway.

Curious what other anons will sat about your trip.
>>
>>1188059
I've done the NYC-NOLA drive several times, and will be doing it again over xmas. The OBX is a good stop on the way. Consider spending the night there and get some seafood. NOLA is the big payoff for that run. Being 19 is a little bit of a bitch, given the fact that city is all about eating, drinking and music. But you still will probably want to spend some time and money there. (Hope you have a good fake ID).
>>
>>1188077
>Hope you have a good fake ID

won't need one I'll be 21 by the time I'm there. I actually need to be 21 to hire the RV. This is the reason I'm doing it in 2018 instead of 2017. Another reason is that the budget will be a lot bigger if I leave it until 2018.

But yeah I plan on driving down whole of the outer banks, didn't really considering staying there but if you say it's nice I'll certainly look into it.
>>
>>1188080
Don't bother staying in the OBX if it's tourist season. It will be expensive and hard to get a room. But staying a night there on the off season is worth doing.

Also: The run back to NYC has you missing the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I would argue this is a mistake. That is a place I would go a few hours out of my way to see and consider spending the night. Weird local culture pretty much lost in time, and pretty country.
>>
File: 20161204_001848.png (1MB, 1440x1024px) Image search: [Google]
20161204_001848.png
1MB, 1440x1024px
>>1188088
To be honest since I'll be in an RV I could probably just find a parking lot and sleep there. I get the feeling that the OBX has very little light pollution in certain areas so it night be nice to spend a night there even if it's not in a hotel.

That run back to the New England area isn't even a real route because I wasn't sure which states to go through. Would you advise doing something like this? (Dark blue line)
>>
>>1188123
Last time I did that part of the country I headed toward the Canadian border off the UP, stopped for a chili dog (they call them "Coneys" there), drove through Canadian wine country and came back to the US at Buffalo. You might want to avoid a border crossing in an RV. I'm just saying don't miss the UP.
>>
If I were doing it in that timeframe, I would loop it the other way (counterclockwise). July and August would be better in the north, and September and October in the south.

And for more specific advice, doing South Dakota in an RV requires stopping at Wall Drug, just on account of their road signs. I think Minneapolis is worth visiting, but I don't know how easy it is to traverse in an RV.
>>
bunch of little things

could go to white sands in new mexico, military lets civilians watch missile testing

there's a town in the mountains by Seattle, Leavenworth. It has a Bavarian theme.
already doing a detour to glacier and yellowstone/grand tetons?

if you take the 101 around the olympic peninsula, could stop and walk on a ferry for a day trip to Canada, that area also has some of the best whale watching in the world

natives used to hunt buffalo by herding a stampede off a cliff, they're called buffalo jumps, there's a few in montana, I want to say you can see a herd in one of the parks in western montana
there's also little big horn in Montana

Can take a detour in South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore

do you know about state/county fairs? most states and populated counties have fairs in the summer and early fall, you should be able to go to quite a few

It's going to be really hot, Boston to Houston might be 100% humidity with your route. Skipping Appalachia? there's a lot of American culture your missing going to the Atlantic coast. Carolina coast isn't much different from what you'll get in New Jersey

there's going to be a lot of states where weed is legal, if you want to buy some just know the federal government and neighboring states might not be so forgiving, if you're caught crossing state lines with it, or in a national park your trip could be ruined real fast, there's also speed limit changes often on state borders and cops love giving tickets to outsiders
>>
>>1187924
If you're looking for shit to do between South Dakota and Massachusetts, the upper Midwest is pretty famous for its amusement parks. Just google "best Midwest amusement parks" and you'll see at least one in every state between Minnesota and Ohio.

Also, get a good road atlas. Google Maps/sat nav can be pretty unreliable out in the boonies.
>>
File: roadtripmap.png (271KB, 1102x704px) Image search: [Google]
roadtripmap.png
271KB, 1102x704px
My personal recommendation for the midwest/great lakes region.

>Go down through Omaha to KC.
>Go from KC to StL.
>StL to Chicago and Milwaukee
>Travel through the UP and travel south to Detroit
>Go from Detroit to Cincinnati
>Cincinnati to West Virginia
>WV to Pittsburgh and eventually into upstate NY
>Drive through Adirondacks and through VT and NH
>Drive into Maine, visit Portland and go south to get back to Boston.
>>
>>1188123
The west coast of Michigan is pleasant. Check out the Sleeping Bear Dunes.
>>
>>1188127
Is it a pain crossing the Canadian border in an RV? I was considering going into Vancouver if it's relativity easy cross the border.

>>1188129
why would you do it counterclockwise? The reason I'm doing it clockwise is so that It'll be really hot in the southern states through July and August, and then it'll get noticeably colder when I'm in the northern states during September and October. So I get my fix of both temperatures. I have never heard of Wall Drug, according to google it looks like a big store with a rabbit statue outside of it.

>>1188137
Oh sweet loads of suggestions! Just looked up the white sands in New Mexico and I'm surprised I didn't already have this on the map! It looks amazing! what do you mean about the missile testing though?

Damn, Leavenworth looks impressive, it looks like something you'd see in Europe Just added it t the map.

Definitely gonna see Mt Rushmore when I'm in South Dakota.

I have not heard of state/county fairs but they should sound interesting. I'd like to meet and talk to lots of local people too so this would probably be a good way to do so.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and the bit of advice about weed and speed limits. I'll keep that in mind.

>>1188157
I do love theme parks but I'll be going to Disneyland and Universal Studios in California so I'm not sure if anything else after that would be a bit of a disappointment? Still if I've been driving for hours it could be nice to stop off for a day of rides and shit. And oh yeah don't you worry I'm definitely gonna be buying psychical road maps. You can never 100% rely on google maps.

>>1188194
Someone else in this thread suggested that I go through Michigan, I'm staring to really like this midwest route a lot. Especially because I'll be able to see Niagara Falls doing it like this too. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Maine too, I'm sure it gets really pretty there during October too. I feel like visiting Maine is a good shout.
>>
>>1188469
Eh, the amusement parks in the rust belt are a different animal than the Disney parks, IMO.

Less "theme" driven, more classic roller coaster/ water parks.

Also Wall Drug is pretty much the penultimate American Highway Tourist Trap, it's fun in a really cheesey way. There's a lot of stuff like that in fly-over states, especially if you get off the main roads.

Lots of weird little museums and "See the World's Largest _______"
>>
File: Untitled.png (4MB, 1804x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4MB, 1804x1080px
>>1188475
To be honestly I have always founds something very appealing about a classic amusement park with non-themed roller coasters. Would you be able to recommend like two or three of the best amusement parks in the midwest? Unless some of them are super cheap then I doubt I'll be able to afford going to each and every one of them.

Oh man I loooooove American roadside tourist traps. I've heard there are a lot of these kinda things in Oregon but I'd love to see some really cheesey "world's largest ___" attractions and strange little museums in the widwest too. Besides Wall Drug, are there any others in particular that you'd recommend?
>>
File: trip.png (593KB, 1446x713px) Image search: [Google]
trip.png
593KB, 1446x713px
Alright I tried to get a trip through the Midwest that I think you would like.

1. After Rushmore I don't really know what there is to see in the Great Plains, but it would be worth it to stop in St. Louis to see the Mississippi River and the arch.

2. The trip through Illinois should be fairly standard as long as you don't stop in East St. Louis. If you want to see Chicago I suggest parking at a train station outside of town and taking the train into the city, as parking is god awful expensive, especially for an RV. There are great museums in Chicago, and try to get some deep dish pizza, an Italian beef sandwich, and a Chicago dog while you're there.

3. Go up through Wisconsin and make sure to see the Dells. Make your way to the UP of Michigan, and see the Porcupine Mountains. I would suggest going through the Keweenaw Peninsula, it's incredibly beautiful and you can make a loop around the outside. On your way back to the Lower Peninsula take the shore of Lake Superior, and you may want to stop and see Tahquamenon Falls. Take the west coast of Michigan down, and try to stop at Sleeping Bear Dunes.

4. Cross over to Canada at Port Huron or Detroit. There's not much to see on the way to Niagara unless you want to see Toronto. After that I'm not familiar with your way to the east coast.

The big thing is to make sure to get the local food as well. If you just eat fast food you won't get the full experience.
>>
>>1188477
Oh damn dude this is really awesome and detailed, thanks a bunch!
Okay Let's see here...

I have debated internally about going down to St Louis or just going the quicker route and going straight though Minnesota and Wisconsin. I guess it all depends on how much time I've got left by the time I finish at Mr Rushmore. If it's looking quite tight for time I'll likely skip out on St Louis but if I've got more time to kill I feel like St Louis is a pretty nice city to visit. Plus I do have this one internet friend who lives there.

>parking is god awful expensive, especially for an RV
I gotta ask, is this true for most cities in the US? Would it be worth finding a place to park the RV outside most cities and catching trains in? Or is it just that some cities just particularly worse for this?

I had never heard of the Porcupine Mountains. They don't seem like they're particularly tall but they still look nice, I'm sure the trees will look very impressive there in the autumn too. (In Cornwall in the UK the autumn trees never get that impressive)

Would you definitely recommend going through that small portion of Canada instead of going around the other way through Ohio and Pennsylvania?

Anyway thanks again for all these suggestions and recommendations. I'm starting to get a good idea of how my midwest route will look. Oh one other thing; How long roughly would you estimate this midwest route would take?
>>
>>1188482
Most cities I've been to have bad parking. If the train/bus in the outside is cheap I would take that instead of trying to park. Cities usually have parking garages, but I don't think a RV would fit.

Going through Canada is more boring but it is much quicker that going around through Ohio/Pennsylvania.

Driving from Rushmore to St. Louis would probably take a day, and St. Louis to Chicago would be ~3 hours, so if you left early in the morning from St Louis you could spend the day in Chicago. Driving up to the UP would probably be a full day trip, as would be the trip back down. I'd say the full trip through the midwest could take 5-7 days, but you could cut out a day by avoiding St. Louis.
>>
Could you do a trip around the us on a motorcycle?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1304x740px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1304x740px
>>1188486
I suppose my best bet is to look into cities individually and find out about parking and if it's cheaper to just get a train or bus in each day. Can't forget to look into that before I go.

I suppose the Canada vs Ohio/Pennsylvania thing will also come down to what I have the time for. Overall it seems like though the midwest is a pretty big mass of land, the comparatively smaller amount of things for me to do while I'm there will make it a not very long portion of the trip so that's pretty good.

>>1188488
I don't know about all of the US, but my uncle did pic related on a Motorcycle this past summer. With a motorcycle you're going to have to heavily rely on motels, as even with a car you could probably just pull over at the side of the road for a quick rest. I'd guess you'll have to plan it a lot more heavily if you're wanting to travel the whole country on a motorcycle. Always making sure you're not too far away from a motel. Food and clothes are another issue with traveling on a motorcycle, you're going to have to pack very lightly. But hey, I'm sure it's possible man. Achieve your dreams.
>>
>>1187924

Nearly perfect route through California

I'd recommend to go to Lake Tahoe after Yosemite then go to SF that way
>>
>>1187996
Like this anon said, when you are near Austin/San Antonio, check out the small German communities around there. They're pretty cute senpai.
>>
File: Untitled.png (651KB, 615x780px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
651KB, 615x780px
>>1188499
Oh that's not my California route, I was just showing >>1188488 how my uncle did Nevada, California, and Arizona on a motorbike.

My California route will likely look something like this blue line (possibly adding the red line to see the Big Sur if I have the time, though it is going a little back and forward.)
>>
I think you have planned an epic trip that you will never forget. You are doing well to get the basics down well ahead. The other posters have give some excellent suggestions.

I would plan the big stuff that you feel are must see things, but leave time and flexibility for side trips and stuff that might come up.

When you come through Houston, I would be happy to feed you guys just to hear about your trip so far, if I an not on the road myself.
>>
>>1188477
>The big thing is to make sure to get the local food as well. If you just eat fast food you won't get the full experience.
This is very true. While it's commonplace to mock the Midwest for their cuisine there are some local foods there that are god tier. Unless you're a fan of super bready and greasy pizza (think Pizza Hut) you can give the pizza there a miss, regardless of what folks from Chicago and Detroit will have you believe. You should try an Italian beef sandwich in Chicago (don't have high hopes, though). But don't miss the white fish from Lake Superior. It's great breaded and deep fried on a sandwich. If you can find it smoked you want some of that, too. And "Coneys" at some place that's been selling chili dogs since the 1920's is a must do. Detroit has Greeks and Polish - the Polish food is less Americanized than the Greek, so I'd recommend getting some of that. Traditionally the place for it would be Hamtramck, but the Polish population has shrunk there over the last few decades. You may have to ask around. On the UP you have to eat a Cornish Pasty and any Finnish breakfast item you come across. If your drive takes you past Thorp, WI you can stop in at Holland Family Cheese and taste the best Gouda made in America. If you go through Buffalo get a beef on weck sandwich. Local beer ought to be good everywhere. New Glarus is one of my favorites. Pub food is gonna be heavy on the greasy deep fried terrible shit everywhere up there, though.

I'd bring some dumb bells along with me on a trip like this so I could work out on a regular basis. Because eating local foods across America (particularly in the South and Midwest) is a great way to get fat if you're not careful. Most beloved local specialties are some sort of fat and salt bomb.
>>
>>1188504
This is why I'm going for four months. I think I could easily do it all on three months, however three months wouldn't leave much time for flexibility. I wanna be able to go back on myself if I missed something good, explore interesting looking roads, get out and stay at places I never thought I'd spend more than a few hours in. Thanks for the kind words I really am super hyped for this trip even though it's well over a year away!

>When you come through Houston, I would be happy to feed you guys just to hear about your trip so far

Aw man you're too kind, I've heard Americans are super kind to tourists, especially from England. This reminds me actually, I would like to make some American internet friends to chat to before I go and maybe meet up with them when I'm out there. So if anyone's interested in meeting me or just helping out with my travel plans even more feel free to hit me up on skype at lil.nibblet , or on kik at Nibblet111, it's still a while off but it's never too early to make friends to meet out there.

>>1188505
I'm not really a "food person" but you seem to be a bit of an expert! I was thinking that, for the most part, I'd buy a lot of cheapo roadtrip food and just eat as I drive, however if I'm somewhere that's particularly well known for good food, say for example, New Orleans, then I'll definitely end up trying all kinds of delicious high tier foods. Getting fat isn't too much of a concern for me as I plan on doing a lot of hiking and just general outdoorsy kinda stuff.
>>
>>1188514
>I'm not really a "food person" but you seem to be a bit of an expert!
I've been on tour across the country several times (musician). When you're on the bus riding from one town to the other local specialty foods is a frequent topic of conversation. It used to drive one tour manager I knew crazy everytime the bus was headed to the Southwest because he was so tired of listening to band and crew guys going on and on about Mexican food and BBQ for over a week.

On one tour I did we'd hire a driver with an SUV every time we had a day off in a city with a large black population. Driver would always be black, and we'd ask him where he'd go for low country cooking. Not where he thinks we should go, but where he'd go. We'd end up being the only white people in some soul food joint in a dicey part of town. As a thank you we'd buy the driver a meal if he'd let us. The food was always delicious, but obscenely fattening. I gained over 15 pounds in just over three weeks on that tour. I was more careful about what I ate on future tours. But man, real low country cooking is delicious.
>>
For the black line you should just go through Canada and see Ottawa and Montreal. Toronto and Vancouver are optional too.

>>1188500
>>1187996
Also seconding this, you should check out San Marcos along the way to New Braunfels its a really cool little college town and the local river is perfect for swimming. Go to Sewell park on a hot day to see all the sexy coeds tanning
>>
>>1188476
Two parks I'd recommend are Cedar point and Kennywood. Kennywood is an old park outside Pittsburgh with some classic old roller coasters dating back to the 1920s. Cedar point is basically a shitton of roller coasters on a concrete peninsula, but they're some of the best rides in America.
>>
>>1188469
going to Canada might mean you get charged for extra insurance, might be easier to stop and use other transportation

disneyland is actually kind of shit for an amusement park, it's for kids who grow up in LA to experience a lot of different settings, the rides are all children and senior friendly, 6 flags LA would be more interesting for an adult

mitchell south dakota has the corn palace

the Canadian side of Lake Erie might be a bit wealthier, but only real difference is there's a lot more asians instead of blacks, and Canada has to concentrate it's green houses in the southernmost part

only real place where there's a real big change by crossing the border is into Quebec

Walmart is known to be pretty nice to RVs parking, casinos will also often give free parking for 12 hours if you ask and they have space
>>
>>1187924
A few words about your black 'not sure what to do' line from Dakota to Boston.
Just a few things to throw in the pot
1) Visit Chicago on the way back. It's too important a city not to visit and anyway it's great. Eat in Greek Town at night.
2) From Chicago, head up into Michigan and visit places like Ann Arbor, a lovely university town.
3) If you had time, drive from Chicago up the side of Lake Michigan into the Michigan UP through the Hiawatha National Park (I mean how cool would it be to be in Hiawatha country?) then take the ferry down into Michigan making your way south to Ann Arbor.
4) Skip Detroit.
5) Also in Michigan, try to cross into Canada and visit London, Ontario so you can tell all your pals you are now in London.
6) Drive along the south side of Lake Erie (I did by train from Boston to Chicago years ago and it's amazing) from Toledo, through Cleveland, up to Buffalo and cross into Canada (if you can take in the RV) and visit the Niagara Falls. It's a once in a lifetime experience and you are that way anyway so why not? Even try to get top Toronto.
7) On the way back, drive south through Philadelphia through the civil war sites to Lancaster county and see the Amish, then up to NYC and Boston. Maybe drop down to DC which is good for all the sights and museums. You might glimpse Trump.

Sounds an amazing trip - look forward to the photos in about 2 years time.
>>
>>1188123
See >>1188618
That looks good, but you really should have a few days in Chicago. No question.
>>
why the fuck would you skip Chicago
>>
>>1188640
If you see NYC, LA and a few decent smaller American cities there's really no reason to see Chicago.
>>
File: Alabama flag.jpg (70KB, 800x555px) Image search: [Google]
Alabama flag.jpg
70KB, 800x555px
>>1188059
>>1187924 (OP)
Some Alabama places:

* US Space and Rocket Center
One of the world's largest museums dedicated solely to space flight

*Cathedral Caverns
Beautiful, huge, easily accessible cave system

* Noccalula Falls
A pretty neat waterfall in what's essentially the southern tail of the Appalachians. In August it's also the starting point for "The World's Longest Yard Sale", in which locals sell tons of stuff along a route that stretches all the way north to Michigan.

* Janney Furnace
A preserved iron smelting furnace from the Civil War. There's a museum and a memorial wall for people from the area who died in the war. It's a little off the main highway so you can see some nice countryside while getting to and from there.

* Talladega Superspeedway
Huge race track where some of the fastest speeds in NASCAR occur thanks to its long straightaways and high-banking curves. The Fred's 250 race takes place there in October.

* Birmingham
Biggest city in the state, named for the city in England. There's a huge statue of the Roman god Vulcan standing on the southeastern hills, erected to honor the steel industry. Some highlights include the Civil Rights Museum, the Alabama Theatre, and the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum.

* University of Alabama
Biggest and one of the oldest universities in the state, arguably has the best college football program in the country (games start in September), Roll Tide

My knowledge is mostly based on northern Alabama. Other places of note in the south of the state include Montgomery, Selma, and of course Mobile Bay.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1560x834px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1560x834px
>>1188582
This was something I was considering but ultimately I decided against it. I wanna see all of America, including the part that's a little more dull than the rest. I wouldn't feel like I've experienced the whole country if I just skipped out on such a massive portion of it in favor of another. Having said that I do want to go into Canada slightly, perhaps I'll head out to see Vancouver when I'm in Washington.

>>1188593
Oh yeah I've been to Disneyland Paris and Disneyworld in Florida before, I know the rides are a lot more tame and kid-friendly in comparison to other theme parks. To me it's more about the themeing and the overall feel of Disneyland. I'm just a bit of a kid when it comes to Disney Parks!
>Walmart is known to be pretty nice to RVs parking, casinos will also often give free parking for 12 hours if you ask and they have space
This is super helpful information to know! I'll keep it in mind when looking for parking in some of the cities.

>>1188643
>>1188640
>>1188621
>>1188618
Noted! Chicago is a city worth visiting! I honestly don't know a whole lot about it though, what makes it so nice? Niagara Falls is definitely a must see, I always planned on going there.
> On the way back, drive south through Philadelphia through the civil war sites to Lancaster county and see the Amish, then up to NYC and Boston. Maybe drop down to DC which is good for all the sights and museums. You might glimpse Trump

I'm already going through Washington and near Philadelphia on my was down at the beginning of my trip. Hoping to get a glimpse of our newly elected god emperor when I go for a tour of the White House. Thanks for all the other suggestions too!

Anyway here's what my midwest map is looking like currently. I would like to add some more things like Isle Royale National Park (though I'm not entirely sure how you get there) But either way I've got more of an idea for a route planned out now. Anything really obvious that I'm missing out on in the midwest?
>>
>>1188476
>american roadside tourist traps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey,_Illinois
>>
>>1188123
It'd honestly be worth it to dip down to Chicago
Also be sure to visit the Wisconsin Dells
>>
>>1188502
I'm telling you, find a way to work the PCH in, it's the most beautiful stretch of road in the world, a spiritual experience.
>>
>cruise america
>4 months @ $2900/month
>$1000 tax
>12,000 miles at 11 mpg and $2.25/gallon
that right there is almost $14000/£11000. and then you have 4 months of food/admissions/alchohol/whatever to consider.

but if you do even a tenth of this trip, get one of these:
>https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
$80 gets you into basically every national park, monument, etc for a year. and considering they're each generally $10-30 it'll pay for itself pretty quickly.
>>
File: this one.jpg (394KB, 1504x1000px) Image search: [Google]
this one.jpg
394KB, 1504x1000px
>>1188059
LOUISIANA/ MS
I live north of New Orleans
If you're into hiking check out TUNICA FALLS pic related is one of the trips our outdoors club from LSU took. Gotta go primitive trail
For kayaking/ canoeing OKATOMA, MS. This is a great river bc there are smalls rapids and it's one-way so there's no backtracking and everything is new.
Oh, and tubing! It's where you hang out in innertubes with buddies and drink while the River brings you downstream, our favorite past-time LOUISIANA RIVER ADVENTURES aka Wayne's World
If you longboard gotta go to VICKSBURG BATTLEFIELD. +It's a beautiful historic battle site with rolling hills, cheap entry.
The best go-karting in the South is at NOLA MOTORSPORTS, NEW ORLEANS. I've been six times now and it is always the highlight of my month.
The most fun I had over the Summer was kayaking with friends to a ropeswing and a bridge to jump off, but you may not be able to do so bc you have to own your own kayaks, if you contact me I could hook you up but that's a .09% chance of happening, plus Okatoma is siqq.
For New Orleans you've got to hit up Bourbon and the Cathedral/ just enjoy walking around the city and don't stay after 2am because you'll get shot.
>>
>>1188476
>Oh man I loooooove American roadside tourist traps
You might want to read the book American Gods. It's got a lot of things just like this in it, all of which are real or based off real places Gaiman went. Although it's hardly the focus of the book.
>>
>>1187924
The time frame sounds nice. You'll have time to see things but you can keep it slow. I'd say skipping LA is the best decision you could ever make but you may want to add it just so you can say you've been (and that you'll never bother again.)

Only problem I can see is that the Grand Canyon doesn't seem to have a mark on it. You should definitely fix that.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (377KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
377KB, 1920x1080px
>>1188705
All this stuff sounds great but going into northern Alabama might be going a bit out the way for me. Might have to re-plan my Alabama route

>>1188952
sounds cool! I'll be sure to go there!

>>1188994
my latest map goes to both of these locations

>>1189039
$2900 per month? In a brochure that my travel agent gave me it showed Cruise America RVs with prices from like $30 per night. So 121 days in 4 months, 30 x 121 = 3630, so I'm probably looking at $3630 total for the RV. Of course that doesn't take tax and gas money into account. And what with food and general spending money it's looking like I'll need quite a bit. But it's looking like I'm gonna have around £15,000 - £16,000 in total and that's nearly $20,000. So I'm sure that will be enough.

Anyway an annual pass for National Parks definitely seems to make sense and it's something I didn't even consider, so thanks for making me aware for that. It would pay for itself if I only visited 8 parks priced at $10 and I'll be going to a lot more than that.

>>1189044
Tunica falls looks pretty sweet, I'd never heard of it either. I'll definitely check it out if I have the time when I'm in Louisiana. I quite like the look of Kayaking in the swamps in Louisiana like pic related. Is there anywhere you know of that I can rent Kayaks and do this? Thanks for all your other suggestions too I've noted them all down.

>>1189069
sounds interesting I might give it a read. Maybe I'll buy it to read when I'm out there!

>>1189139
Yeah the original plan was to do it in three months and though that's probably possible, I feel like four months makes it less ridged and leaves time for anything extra.

I'm definitely not skipping LA! I wanna see Hollywood. Oh and I am seeing the Grand Canyon, Google My Maps just put the marker in a weird place that's a bit too far off to the west of the canyon.
>>
>>1189231
>$2900/month
i went to the cruise america site and picked the cheapest option and ran it for all of june. what size rv and are there any seasonal or milage limits for $30/night? i've looked at renting an rv for a group trip several times, but never found anything close to that cheap. i'd love to hear if you really get that, and how.
>>
>>1188514
I would be nice to tourists from anywhere, England gets no special treatment...lol

I am old, and have not gotten around to Skype or kik yet. I made a throw away e-mail, m jay 4 travel at gmail, no spaces. If you or anyone else has Texas questions or will be in the Houston area.

I am probably going to be in England before you are in the States, if you think talking could help you with your trip.
>>
>>1189231
I live 20 min south of Baton Rouge and trust me on this one, try to go through northern Alabama, then head over to Jackson, then take the Trace down to Natchez

bro I have driven the Trace 30 something times and it is still my favorite road in the south, also you hit some Major fucking civil war shit, also DEFINITELY eat at Roux 61 outside of Natchez headed down 61

The drive in between Natchez and NOLA is pretty great, only countryside and when you hit LA you have plantations, even the Myrtles, you ain't hitting shit by going through Mobile

That's my shitty opinion OP, go to Birmingham from Atlanta, then head over to Jackson, then head down the trace to Natchez, do all the 61 shit and by God if you happen to be by LSU on a saturday night when college football is being played, be sure to stop in and tell folks your situation

I'll check back soon so if you have any questions about local swamps n shit and cool Louisiana shit to do, ask away
>>
>>1189231
How do you have this much money at 19?
>>
File: 20161207_093254.jpg (2MB, 2264x3496px) Image search: [Google]
20161207_093254.jpg
2MB, 2264x3496px
>>1189308
Well I spoke to a travel agent last summer who specializes in, like, student gap year adventure holidays and that kinda stuff. And he said that everything I wanted to do is entirely possible with my budget of around £15,000. In fact he said that's more than enough. However I won't need to book anything until next summer (2017), in the mean time he gave me this brochure thing and this was the Cruise America RV page.

On the Cruise America website it just says that prices vary depending on availability and how early you book it. So I'm guessing the £26/$32 is the cheapest you can possibly get it seeing as the brochure thing does list it at "from £26 [per night]".

So at £26/$32 per night, each month that would be £780/$960. Which is a lot cheaper than the $2,900 per month that you got but did you book it very far in advance or did you just get the cheapest one they had available at the time? Even if it is a little more expensive I should still be able to afford it.

>>1189433
by working like crazy and strictly saving up exactly 90% of everything I earn each month.

>>1189398
The thing you said about the NASCAR racetrack in your other post sounded really cool, I've kinda always wanted to watch a NASCAR race. The civil war shit sounds great too, I really like historical things. I'm currently re-working my Alabama route to go more through the north and through Birmingham.

In terms of Louisiana, what would you recommend? So far I've only really go New Orleans, but I wanna do some cool swamp shit too. I know you can do swamp tour things on boats in New Orleans, and I also wanna ride on one of those big old steamboats, you know, one of those ones with a big wheel. I'm not sure exactly where I can do this but it seems like something you should be able to do from New Orleans.
>>
Super cool looking trip! I've done great portions of what you are plannng, and lots of other anons have already provided great advice.
I'll just add a few and clarify one or two items.
-Walmarts everywhere will allow you to park in a far corner of their parking lots and sleep overnight, pretty sure it's a company wide policy, lots of their clientele are older, retired RVers. Also most all are open 24 hours a day and have bathrooms.
-Showers: if your RV doesn't have a shower look for bicycle shops, many have showers for cyclists doing long road tours.
- do the pacific highway. It's slow and winding but freaking awesome and beautiful. The Northern California portion is very very tight and slow. Like seriously, some of that shit is labeled 25 mph and that's pushing it in some corners.
-Yosemite is going to be so fucked up crowded. Death Valley is going to be so fucked up hot. Not that you shouldn't see them, just beware.
-national forest land in the US is free to camp on if you get away from the road and stay several hundred feet from water sources like ponds and streams and bigger.
This is relevant in Yosemite area as you may be shit out of luck getting an actual campsite there, reservations are a must and get snapped up almost as soon as they come available.
I strongly suggest seeing sequoia. Less crowded, fantastic trees and hikes. May be somewhat smokey when you get there. Only problem being that it's kinda out of your current route, and it doesn't have a pass through the mountains. Would have to come at it from the Central valley.
-Utah
I agree with much of your route, but I want to shout out capital reef national park and the escalante national monument, especially highway 12, the north entrance to escalante. It's crazy. Look up pictures and tell me you don't want to drive through that.
I see you have arches as a stop, do the dark angel tower hike. Look for the samurai wolverine on your way to the tower.
>>
>>1189563
Continued

-I would almost recommend doing the Yosemite to Tahoe to lassan national park route over the Northern California coast route, but then I love that section, and if you want to see the redwoods you'll need to hit the coast. Which is also amazing and beautiful. But can be wet. I woke up in prairie creek redwoods this summer with a small stream flowing under my tent. Still one of my favorite campgrounds ever.
-Olympic peninsula
Do the Hoh rainforest and hurricane ridge portions if nothing else. Port angeles is a nice town.
Do not take your rv into Seattle. Use the buses. Do visit the EMP. Do visit the chahully garden. Space needle is fun, but ultimately an expensive view. Make a reservation, the line is stupid. Get a city pass if you do all three and you will save some cash, don't if you only do two.
>>
File: Route.png (4MB, 2926x1345px) Image search: [Google]
Route.png
4MB, 2926x1345px
Okay everyone, this is what my current route is looking like

>>1189563
>>1189564
Hey man thanks for all the great advice!

>Walmarts
That's actually really useful to know! I'll be sure to make good use out of that company wide policy. Are Walmart parking lots free? Because over here Asda and every other supermarket lets you park for free.

>Showers
my RV does have a shower but that is a neat tip too

>Pacific highway
I REALLY want do but I'm not sure how I can do both the national parks to the east of California and the Pacific highway to the west without going back on myself. Perhaps I'll literally just have to drive down the Pacific highway and then drive back up it again just for the sake of seeing it.

>Yosimite and Death Valley
My uncle went to California this summer and he didn't mention Yosimite being too overly crowded, he did however mention that he was heavily advised against going into Death Valley because of the insane temperatures. Although he was on a motorbike and I'll have an air conditioner in my RV. Not just that but he went in June and by the time I'll be in California I'll be early September.

>Only problem being that it's kinda out of your current route
I really need help with my California route. What would you say is the optimum California route for me? I wanna see as much as possible. Just like draw a rough line on my map in paint or something, that would be really useful. I don't mind going back on myself for parts if I have to

>Utah
Capitol Reef National Park looks really cool but it seems like it's just a little too far out the way. Who knows though, If I've got time I'll check it out. What exactly is the escalante national monument? I've head of it before but google isn't being very helpful in showing me what or where it is exactly.

>Olympic peninsula
Oh man I just looked up Hoe Rainforest and it looks amazing! and damn hurricane ridge looks simply breathtaking! Definitely gonna do both of those.
>>
>>1189564
Port Angeles looks cute. Do you know of anywhere specifically where I could leave my RV just outside Seattle? Because I'll still want to return to it each night to sleep when I'm in Seattle, or any cities for that matter. How expensive is the space needle? It's something I wanna do for sure but I never really considered the price and lines and shit. I had also never heard of a city pass. Do most cities in the US have one of these? where do I get one from?

Thanks again for all the advice it really is appreciated and I'm noting it all down.

>>1189574
By the way I forgot to mention that I really want to fill out some of those long stretched of road with things to do on route, so I still need lots more suggestions!
>>
google automatically puts you on the interstate system, which is the fastest, but sometimes there's more interesting state highways that head in the same direction but on a different route

from portland, go down the columbia, and take route 101 up washington and around the olympic peninsula, it's a better trip than I5, you can take 101 around to Bremerton, and then walk on a ferry into Seattle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTkpHTbbC9A

you could ferry port angeles-victoria-vancouver and then go down to Seattle from Vancouver, would probably cost about $150

going west through washington, on your map it's interstate 90, there's a more interesting washington state 20 or 2 a further north
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 3411x2008px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 3411x2008px
>>1189446
If you end up taking the route in my pic, now I'm 19 too and I really never gave a shit about Northern Louisiana, Now I will put a detour in another picture that will send you past the houmas house, which is a big botanical garden with 300 hundred year old Oaks

Blue is Trace, Red is route 61, both are very scenic and I love going down them
>>
File: Capture2.png (891KB, 2988x1716px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
891KB, 2988x1716px
>>1189446
The Route I mapped out, is a road that goes along the levee, and you go past some cool power plants and countryside, houmas house is Blue, it's a great drive, but don't try to drive over the levee, its private property, you can walk up it and look at the river, but don't drive up the little roads

also with the swamp thing, you are kinda out of luck for some real good swamps, if you do not have a boat, your chances of seeing the best is slim

NOLA has some decent swamps, but they'll tell you they're the best because you don't know better

The best swamps are only accessible by boat and knowledge of the area

also never been on a steamboat like that, if you stop in Downtown Baton Rouge, and go to the river center, you can go on the levee and they have a naval battleship called the USS kid that you can tour, and they have an old time steamboat you can go on to, but it's stationary, also a cool planetarium within a short walk

Nascar races are cool, not into them, but it's loud as fuck

still recommending that if you happen to pass through on a saturday while an LSU home game is happening, stop and walk around

if you tell the locals you're from england and can prove it, they will try to impress you with the best food LA can offer, it ain't restaurant shit, you will be able to try homeade pastalaya, gator, squirrel, deer, and you can stop by the fraternities to look at some of the nicest ass, BR has to offer

take heed when drinking though, getting free alcohol over there is as easy as snapping your fingers, but cops are real bad about that shit
>>
File: IMG_0550.jpg (785KB, 2100x1181px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0550.jpg
785KB, 2100x1181px
>>1189574
-Walmart parking: yes, it's free! Countrywide, there aren't that many pay parking lots except in the crowded cities, at which point holy crap they can be pricey.
-Yosemite and Death Valley: your uncle was on a motor bike, and that is a very different experience than an rv. Death Valley should be more bearable at that time of year, still going to be hot I think. Yosemite is ridiculously popular. Parking and bathrooms are the biggest challenge there. With a bike one can park in many many more spots than cars, much less an rv. That said, if you dedicate yourself to getting in early and getting a spot and then riding the valley shuttle around it's not such a problem. Tuolumne meadows does not have the benefit of a shuttle, but it is so easy to spend the whole day just wandering about the trails up there that you don't really need to think about getting bored. Walk part of the pacific crest trail north to get away from the crowds. Really, walk any trail more than a mile and the crowds almost disappear. People are lazy and and crowd to the roadside stops.
-Utah: national monuments are like national parks except the president can declare them a thing without having to go through our congress, but that also means they don't get anywhere near the funding that the national parks get. Fewer trails and facilities, fewer crowds as well. Escalante is more sandstone and redrock country, notably the terrain is so convoluted and folded and eroded into canyons that this area was literally the last section of North America that was fully mapped. Your route already has you doing arches etc., so it's a little redundant. I suggest it simply because it is so unreal to drive through, it's like being in a road runner and cayote cartoon. Ribbons of road on sharp ridges with chasms hundred of feet deep on either side of you. Pulling off to the side in the wrong place is a big no no. The whole land looks like somebody did a gigantic frosted cake in rainbow colored stone.
Cont
>>
>>1189574
Continued from>>1189857
More on Utah: really escalante and capitol reef are just an alternate route from arches to Bryce Canyon. The route you have now in that area is also great, and completes a tour route I recommended to a friend just a month ago. One note I would give you is that you look up newspaper rock, it's only going to be a half hour off your route to see thousands of years worth of petroglyphs. If you are into that kind of thing it's kind of bone chilling to contemplate it. If you have time or are tired, the road newspaper rock is on continues into the hinterlands and ends up at a couple campgrounds and canyon lands. Again, red rock and hoodoos, which you will be seeing in arches and Bryce. Less crowded though.
Speaking of Bryce... if you have the energy, Kodachrome basin and a petrified 'forest' are just to the east. The 'forest' is a nice campground and a nature trail on the top of the cliffs that leads to giant chunks of petrified trees. The natives call it the 'land of sleeping rainbows', not inaccurate when you see some of the fossilized trees, much less impressive than the name petrified forest would imply, but still neat. Kodachrome is cool, but bryce blows it out of the water. Worth checking out if Bryce campgrounds get over full.

-seattle advice: there are a few private campgrounds in the area, and there are park and ride places where you can park the rv and hop on the bus into the city center. The Seattle bus systems phone app is pretty good, and the locals use 'onebusaway' to see how late the busses are running. Using both together I didn't miss anything and got everywhere I needed to in two transfers or less when I was there this summer. Actual camping in the are is difficult as the whole bay is built up. Lots of green spaces, but not a lot of camping that I know of. Almost every city will have an rv park.
>>
>>1189863
Continuing more! Take all the advices!

Citypasses exist for several cities, I know Chicago has one for sure. Worth it if you want to do several attractions that they work with.
Oh, and it turns out that the EMP museum in Seattle has changed its name to museum of pop culture, MoPop. I totally forget what the needle cost was. Again, make a reservation time or you may end up standing in a line for literally an hour or two.
As for California, let me take a look at my maps and I will get back to you with my suggestions.
>>
>>1189857
>>1189863

How pricey can city parking get?

I'm sure we could get to Yosimite really early if that helps. Are there any other national parks where it would really help to get there as early as possible? Also I'll have a toilet inside the RV so bathrooms shouldn't be an issue for me. Also how many days should I spend in Yosimite? I'd like to see the best it has to offer, how long would this take? It's good to know that if I walk along some of the trails a bit the busyness would die down.

I didn't know that about national monuments, but that's pretty good that they'll be less crowded. I might drive through escalate, especially if, like you said, it looks like a road runner cartoon. That sounds awesome. Tho if it's a choice between capitol reef and escelante vs my current route, then I think I'll stick with my current route. I really wanna make sure I can see Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon and such.

Newspaper rock looks incredible interesting though, I've just added it to my map! I had never heard of the Petrified forest it looks super weird.

Park and ride places seem like the best option for, not just Seattle, but all the cities. Also it's good to know that almost every city will have an RV park.
>>
>>1189574
Between St Louis and Chicago, follow Route 66 as best you can. The Cahokia Mounds are interesting. Eat a corndog and a horseshoe in Springfield. Visit Henry's Rabbit Ranch.
>>
>>1190267
Hey yo, apologies for taking so long, life gets busy.

Thought about things and what you've said about interests, for your route through Southern California I'm going to suggest you go ahead and take highway 1 up the coast from las angeles up to Monterey. That covers the most scenic parts. From there I would jet across the Central Valley to do Yosemite, mariposa is a lovely little town on your way that has an amazing little mining museum that is all locally organized and managed, it's kind of a wonderful bit of Americana and I could have spent much more time in it than I did. Also the California state mineral collection is in town, several amazing specimens including the largest piece of crystalline gold in the nation (world maybe?).
Yosemite is worth several days, figure one full day to tour the bottom of the valley and do the visitor center if you like those, one day for walking around tuolumne meadows (climb Lembert dome! I think it's a five mile hike or so) and then more days as you like for relaxing and hiking. Yosemite has over 700 miles of trails. Being young and healthy I recommend taking a day to do a hike from the highlands down into the valley. There is a bus service early in the morning from the valley bottom up to the tioga pass road trail heads. I think the one I did was porcupine creek to the top of Yosemite falls and then down into the valley ending up about a mile from where you would have hopped on the bus. I believe you need to make reservations for the bus according to a website I was looking at earlier this year.
From Yosemite maybe go over tioga pass into mono lake area, very alkaline lake with neat formations. Worth a short stop. Then head north To Lake Tahoe to see that sight, and then drive to San Francisco from there.
Cont...
>>
>>1190750
Continued
This route is a bit circuitous but avoids doubling back on yourself. It skips Death Valley and sequoia, since I figure you will be seeing plenty of desert already and big trees will get checked off in the redwoods. Of note, tioga pass through Yosemite can be closed by snow pretty unexpectedly, sometimes surprisingly early in the year. pay attention to local weather alerts.

City parking ranges widely. I've seen it as high as 25$ for an hour, other places 10$ will cover all day. Depends on location. Many smaller cities don't need/have it in the Midwest.
Your route through monument valley will serve you well. Amusingly antelope Canyon is actually in the escalante borders.
America loves its RV's, you will be able to find facilities almost everywhere.
>>
>>1189574
Say, looking at your route into new Mexico, consider hitting Carlsbad caverns. They are pretty amazing, if kind of a day out of the way.
>>
Looks like a great route, I don't have much to add to all the suggestions so far but use Roadside America to find weird roadside attractions and places that don't usually get much attention. Also, download the Roadtrippers app which gives you similar sights and places to eat etc once you put your route in. I haven't seen it mentioned and don't know the details but are you sure you'll be able to stay for four months, I thought the visa waiver was only valid for 90 day stays?
>>
>the midwest is boring
Do you even love America brah? The Plains and the South are the best parts. The coasts are boring.
>>
File: IMG_0965.jpg (111KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0965.jpg
111KB, 1024x904px
>want to do a roadtrip
>750 DOLLARS UNDER 25 FEE

yeah I think I'll just ride the Amtrak instead
>>
>>1187924
the midwest is one of the best regions dont just skip over it
>>
>>1188123
I agree with this
>>
>>1187924
Go through Arkansas and Oklahoma instead of Texas, trust me Texas is nothing pretty to look at you'll enjoy the view much more.
>>
File: 9508a0e0c3776010cf124a90f098af4f.jpg (258KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
9508a0e0c3776010cf124a90f098af4f.jpg
258KB, 1024x683px
>>1188469
As a current resident of Albuquerque, you might regret going to Roswell. It's small and forgettable and the alien thing is not the kind of tourist trap you'll enjoy. I would swing west after Carlsbad and do White Sands, as was suggested earlier (and about what the previous poster said - the army literally just shoots missiles into certain areas of it, very little to hit there but sand). From there you could take I-25 to ABQ, maybe ride the Sandia Tram and hike along the crest, which I'd highly recommend, and continue on to Santa Fe / Taos / wherever else it is you're going. Cheers
>>
>>1191625
>he alien thing is not the kind of tourist trap you'll enjoy
speak for yourself man but honestly I love aliens and conspiracies and stuff. I wanna see all the alien stuff in America so Roswell is a must for me.

I have however since changed my map to include the white sands.

>>1191602
I don't really want to miss out on Texas, there are lots of things I already want to see while I'm there. What do Arkansas and Oklahoma have on Texas exactly?

>>1191073
Apparently Cruise America doesn't have an under 25 fee

>>1191071
I do love America, and the midwest too, but comparatively the plains are just less appealing to me than the mountains and desert you get in states like Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. I don't think they're bad tho.

>>1190852
Ohh I didn't know about this national park! I just added it!
>>
>>1188123
come to Arkansas, friend.
>>
>ultimate us road trip
>doesn't go straight through the appalachian mountains

i would kill to be able to do this op. mrauk u.
>>
>>1191889
just go, what's stopping you?
>>
Make sure you drive the Sun road in Glacier
>>
>>1187924

This seems a bit.... ambitious.....
>>
why are you skipping Florida?
>>
OP, if you have 4 months to do this, what's your total trip distance at now?

>>1191954
sounds right

if you get 6km/l and gas is going to be $.75/L? who knows what the costs are in 2018?

total distance/120 will be how much you have to average a day, if you're not a long haul trucker don't know how many consecutive driving days you can handle

it's looking a little crazy in the south west, I think just driving the perimeter of america is 15000km, you must be around 24000km, so ?

you don't experience much driving at night, so got to make sure how much day time you can spend at each visitor area, driving through cities in rush hour can be bad, I've spent 1 hour going through Spokane, 2 1/2 going around Chicago

>>1191959
should recommend key west so OP makes another 1000km detour
>>
File: Route.png (4MB, 2926x1345px) Image search: [Google]
Route.png
4MB, 2926x1345px
>>1191889
I already explained to someone earlier in the thread but, I can either do the appalachian mountains, or the outer banks. Considering I've heard the mountains towards the west like the rockies and such are a lot more impressive, I figured I'd rather see the outer banks seeing as they're somewhat unique.

>>1191944
This is the road where the filmed the opening to The Shining isn't it? I'm definitely driving up this road, also planning on hiking up the hidden lake trail when I'm in glacier national park.

>>1191954
Ambitious? yes. Impossible? Hell no. So long as there's no major costs I haven't yet accounted for then I should have saved up the necessary funds by July 2018.

>>1191959
two reasons
1. I've already done it! I've seen the Florida Keys, Miami, Orlando, Theme Parks. I have no reason to go back there.
2. It's out the way. It'll add so much more time and gas money to go all the way down to Florida, a peninsular, just to head straight back the way I came.

It is kinda a shame I'll be missing out on Florida, but I will stop in Pensacola for like a day so technically I will have entered Florida!

>>1191967
Honestly I have no idea what the total distance is. I couldn't even give you an estimate. I could do with knowing roughly so I can work out exactly how much gas money this is going to cost.

I'm really bad at maths, but let's just assume I'm going 24000km like you said, and gas is $0.75 per L. 1L will get me 6km, so how much would that cost me? The total budget is about $20,000 though.

If the worst comes to the worst I'll pay for some of the gas money on a credit card and slowly pay it back when I get home and have a job again.

Gas in America is a lot cheaper than it is over here, I know that much. I'm sure I'll be able to handle the driving too. It's not just me remember, so if I get tired, my friend can take over. Plus we're never going to drive more than, say 5 hours, without stopping somewhere for a break.
>>
File: math.jpg (10KB, 207x244px) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
10KB, 207x244px
>>1192100
Assuming a total distance of 24000 km, a fuel consumption rate of 6 l/km, and a petrol price of $0.75 per litre, we're talking about roughly $3000 in petrol money.
>>
>>1192107
Oh sweet, that's practically nothing. I mean, it's not nothing, but it's certainly not unrealistic. Technically I could already afford the gas money alone. Thank you maths wizard man.

So I already have £4000 ($5080), which will pay for my RV rental and plane tickets I think. My goal is to have somewhere in between £15-16,000 (about $20,000) for the total budget of the trip. So take away the £2400 ($3000) for gas money and the £4000 ($5080) for plane tickets and RV rental, that leaves me with around £9,000, ($12,000) for food and general spending money. That's honestly probably more than enough.

So in other words, this is totally financially feasible for me. So long as I don't lose my job or some shit.
>>
File: maps.jpg (176KB, 1374x390px) Image search: [Google]
maps.jpg
176KB, 1374x390px
>>1192100
direct route between cities is about 18000km, with detours 24k seems accurate
>>
Would it be weird/creepy to do a road trip alone?

I'm not planning anything as ambitious as OP, just feel like driving from Texas to Montana or something
>>
>>1192147
sick man, this is good info. I should compile all this useful information on some sort of document.

>>1192209
No not at all! You might get lonely, it depends on what sort of person you are. Personally I get very lonely when I go too long without human interaction, so I really couldn't do a road trip on my own. Especially not this big 4 month one I'm planning. But if you feel like going from Texas up to Montana on your own then go for it, man! Nothing creepy about it.
>>
>>1192209
only problem with doing road trips solo is you aren't splitting any of the fixed costs
>>
>>1192277
Yeah my trip would be a lot harder if my friend wasn't going to pay me back for half of the petrol money, food money and RV hire ect. But you know, if you can afford it and it's what you want to do then I'd still say just go for it.
>>
>>1187924
Atlantic city is a shell of it's former self, you're better off taking the parkway until you hit backroads in the pine barrens and head straight for philly.
>>
>>1189446
I urge you to look more into the Cruise America RV costs, because I highly doubt it will really be that cheap. I just looked up a July - August 2018 2 month rental and it came to $6106.05 for the C19 Compact from Boston.
>>
>>1192659
Not to mention that doesn't include mileage fees, linen, cutlery etc.
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-16+at+02.00.17).jpg (196KB, 1194x595px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-16+at+02.00.17).jpg
196KB, 1194x595px
Seems better to just rent a car and use a mix of motels and camping.
>>
>>1192659
>>1192666
>>1192672

$6,106 is more than I am expecting but still not completely out of the realms of possibility. I know a really good travel agent guy who specializes in student "gap year" type holidays. If anyone will be able to book me a cheap Cruise America RV it'll be that guy. Plus the brochure I've git surely can't just be lying right?

It might be that I can get some sort of special deal if I book it through certain travel agencies instead of just booking it myself.

I definitely need to go visit the travel agent guy again and discuss it fully but last time I saw him he thought what I had in mind was totally possible considering I can get the money.
>>
>>1194499
>Plus the brochure I've git surely can't just be lying right?
That's what confuses me, it might be ignoring a lot of taxes and things that will get added on to a larger price. At least you can split the costs regardless.

If you do manage to realise the cheap deal then please post the details here as I would love to make a similar trip and had already written RVs off with the cost and added stress of parking overnight e.t.c.
>>
>>1194510
>If you do manage to realise the cheap deal then please post the details here

will do senpai, Like I said I'll have to go talk to the travel agent again, I plan on doing it in Easter. I'm really hoping this can still work otherwise I will be very disappointed. $20,000 seems like it should be enough money to do a big US roadtrip though.
>>
>>1187924
>completely skipping Northern Utah and Florida

You done fucked up son
>>
>>1194640
More thoughts. You need to come to Northern Utah because it may be the most out there cultural experience you get in the US. Just going into Utah Valley and Salt Lake Valley and seeing all the Mormon temples dotting the mountains is incredible, and the 2002 facilities in Park City are great even in the summer. SLC is one of the most unique and interesting cities in the world. All of the national parks in the south are great but I wouldn't ignore the part of the state that actually has people--friendly interesting people I might add. Probably the last exponentially growing white population in the world.
>>
File: 20160515_183226.jpg (379KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160515_183226.jpg
379KB, 1440x1080px
>>1192672
jesus, you could buy a god damn camper for that much. My grandpa is selling his old camper for 5600$ right now and it's in decent condition.
If it's just you and your buddy it might be worth considering just renting a car for that period of time and tent camping at various spots around your journey.
I have to give props to the repsonses in this thread, I've been building a travel agenda for america and /trv/ and /out/ have been super helpful in informing me on some interesting lesser known sights(or is it sites?) worth visiting.

My little bit of input is relative to an adventure around the olympic peninsula(washington state) i did earlier this year that helped by the fine people of /out/.
>Lake quinault has some amazing old growth forest and several unique hiking opportunities the further you go down some of the roads.
>Ruby beach is worth the stop, but it's incredibly busy.
>La push is definetly worth the detour. Second beach is incredible and you can camp down there for free. The town itself is also an interesting view on the state of native reserves in america.
>Cape flattery is an inciredble location, but I've been told it can get terribly clogged during tourist season, so try and arrive earl or late at night and watch the sunset from there. The drive to Neah bay is a really fun drive with several twisty roads and a non stop view of the juan de fuca strait.
>If you pass by a town called Joyce stop in at the Blackberry resteraunt. I had a pulled pork sandwich with blackberry sauce that was unbelievably good. There's also a really neat campground near the town called Salt Creek. If you manage to get there during low tide you can experience a wealth of interesting sea life.
Pic is of second beach near la push.
>>
I hope you plan on blogging, cause it would be an interesting roadtrip to follow.
>>
>>1187924

Britfag here

Personally I would start in Chicago and finish in Seattle

You'll still see plenty of the Rockies and midwest, but I see no point making the trek of Washington state all the way to Michigan, there's not enough payoff
>>
>>1189574
you should definitely pass by the Canadian Rockies (Banff National Park) for a one-to-three days trip
>>
spend more time than you think at each stop. you'll need it.
national parks can be massive tourist traps. look for state parks with the same shit nearby. Spend more time in Utah. Seriously. Tons of weird cheap shit to do there.
>>
>>1188469
I think you underestimate how balls shittingly hot and miserable the south is in summer. Right now it's 76F in Texas, feels nice. July and Aug makes it miserable to be outside more than a few minutes. Do it the other way. Plus, icy roads + driving an RV just sounds awful as well.
>>
>>1192107
>>1192100

Personally I think 6l/g is a bit overkill. Even a larger SUV like a CR-V gets 14kpl, so unless you're going in a Hummer/uHaul/etc you can probably cut that in half.

I did a VA-to-OR trip along I90 (with similar sidetracks) and that was maybe $1000 in gas.
>>
>>1196035
It was just a rough estimate, if the petrol money turns out to be cheaper that's just a bonus ad I'll have more spending money. I'm just hoping it doesn't exceed the $3000 by too much.

>>1195982
Eh this is a good point but like I said, I kind of want to get a bot of both extremes. I want a lot of heat and I want a lot of cold too. I will look more into that though and really think about it. I don't want to be too uncomfortably hot. Having said that I feel like I could probably cope and get used to it.

>>1195979
What else would you recommend I do in Utah? I can go off my route, the route is more just a rough guide anyway.

>>1195080
Yeah I probably will make some sort of blog or online travel journal thing. I'll post it here too so keep an eye out. I'm also gonna buy a Go Pro and film a lot of it, perhaps upload some of the best bits of it on a YouTube channel, which I will also post here.

>>1194640
>>1194650
I've been to Florida twice before and it adds a lot more time (and therefore money) onto the trip which I thought wasn't really worth it considering I've already seen it. I'm conflicted on Northern Utah. I would like to see Salt Lake City and stuff but again, it's going quite far out the way and I'm just not sure it's worth it. If I can afford it I'll consider it though.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.