[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Switching Flights?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Hey /trv/, my family is going on a trip to NYC, and my gf purchased a ticket for the same day but a different flight. Is there any way to try and see if someone from my flight wants to switch with my gf's ticket?
Different carrier, only an hour apart. Is there some sort of ticket swapping community that I can hit up?
>>
>>1187412
Neat idea, but hard to accomplish. Almost all airline tickets are non-transferable, which means explicitly that you can't give them to someone else. Really expensive fares, the fully refundable kind, might be more flexible on that front (never tried to transfer one, but know from experience that they're easy and cheap to rebook), but I feel confident in guessing you didn't buy fully refundable tickets.

And for security and other purposes, the airlines expect the people sitting in their planes to match the names on their boarding passes and the passenger manifests, so they officially wouldn't let you execute a gateside swap.

That said, you might sneakily pull it off by going to the boarding area of the earlier flight a bit in advance and discreetly asking around. But it's not legal and you'll probably get kicked out of the airport (at least) if you get caught.
>>
>>1187428
Damn.
Bump
>>
>>1187412
Pre 9/11 yes. Today, no.
>>
>>1188552
Airlines say its for security purposes, but its relly more of a revenue integrity/fare calculation thing. Its to prevent brokers from buying up a bunch of cheap seats and then undercutting the airlines mid-high fares when the low fares sell out.

Doing a namechange is actually pretty common. I've done it in Amadeus, Sabre, and Shares, which are some of the most common reservations systems. The problem is 1. agents arent trained to do it or think its impossible, and 2. Their employee log-in may actually not permit them to.

Your best bet is trying to swap at the gate, but you will probably have to pay a fee to go "standby"

PS: will you retards stop booking flights with your nicknames? Name changes are kind of a pain in the ass even if you know the commands.
>>
>>1187428
>And for security and other purposes, the airlines expect the people sitting in their planes to match the names on their boarding passes and the passenger manifests, so they officially wouldn't let you execute a gateside swap.

This one actually pre-dates 911. There was a crash in the 90s with all dead (I think it might have been TWA800) And the airline's manifest was messed up so they got some of the names wrong. Obviously this didnt sit too well with the Families, so DOT came up with regs to make that kind of gate-sloppyness a fineable offense.

I also dont think a gate agent would kick you off the plane/airport for asking around. We'd just swap out the 2 flights and pocket the 2 change fees.
>>
I live in New York, I'll keep your girlfriend safe in my room until you arrive
>>
>>1188646
You're a travel agent yeah? I work for an airline and it's not so much that agents think a name change is impossible to do, but per my airline's policy we do not touch names on tickets that belong to third parties. If it is our ticket, a name change (changing it to a completely different person) is not something an agent can do and we have to call our resolutions desk to see if it is permissible if the customer insists. All resolutions agents will tell reservations no, because tickets are to be non-transferable.
Name corrections on the other handle are quite common and simple to do granted they're our tickets.

>>1187412
>Is there any way to try and see if someone from my flight wants to switch with my gf's ticket?
You can't do this. All you'd be doing is screwing your gf and whoever would be dumb enough to accept that trade out of their flights.

Your name on the ticket must match your travel documents. *No exceptions*

Just last week I had a lady call my center pissed off that she was pulled last minute from a flight in Brazil because ato security realized they goofed and let her on the plane when her name and docs didn't match. Even if you got on the plane you are not home free.
TSA/immigration will stop you if the airline doesn't first.

You'll have to change your ticket by calling the airline. If you don't have status with them or bought a non-refundable ticket then prepare to pay change fees plus whatever fare difference there is.
>>
>>1188685
Not some retard travel agent. Dont get me started on those types. Just someone who's worked for airlines for the past 10+ years. I worked at a hub for 5 years doing gate/ramp/ops and now work in your companies' version of the "resolution desk"

I have allowed certain types of ticket swaps in the past that are similar to OP's story, but only if the reason was compelling. (such as a death in the family)
>>
the moment when i realized during the flight that we switched passports (but not the tickets!) with my friend. our names and faces aren't even close. we switched it around bag drop, managed to get through 2 different checks without anyone stopping us.

that said, forget it, op. sometimes security is actually doing something.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.