[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to Oregon - Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Oregon_Locator_Map.png (11KB, 428x317px) Image search: [Google]
Oregon_Locator_Map.png
11KB, 428x317px
Any Oregon experts about /trv/?

I need to move to Oregon for my work in astronomy and need low levels of light pollution

The area must be located close to one hour outside the hub I choose to live around - It needs to be within one hour' driving time for socialization, stocking up on food as well as medical needs, having to drive more than an hour for provisions isn't something I'm looking for

I figure I can drive an hour into town for whatever and drive an hour further from home for less light pollution and having to leave my residence might not be necessary at all depending on the light

Looking at a map, Bend (80k pop.) jumps out right away being so close to desolate lake county, what is life in Bend like for some in their 20's?

Klamath Falls (20k) seems like a big enough hub and still easy to escape into the wilderness within an hour

Any areas or sweet spots I'm missing?

Also desert isn't really my thing and I see there's a good chunk of it
>>
File: oregon-road-map.gif (302KB, 2800x1772px) Image search: [Google]
oregon-road-map.gif
302KB, 2800x1772px
Sorry, here's a better map with roads and cities
>>
Do you think if Russia were to nuclear strike the US, their first target would be portland?
>>
>>1180684
You could go ask /pol/ and stop derailing my thread
>>
Currently living in a small town in the coastal mountains west of portland. Bend has a great outdoor scene and the people there seem to be pretty friendly, can't speak on the nightlife ect. But I'd imagine it's pretty good. Tons of yuppies, trust fund kids and the like. I would look at the whole area west of klamath falls, around roseburg maybe. That would give you access to the huge public lands to the west but still be able to go to a major city. There's tons of middle of nowhere towns in the mountains that would be cool to check out, all within a half hour or 45 minutes of the metro.
>>
Oops, didn't see the light pollution requirements. Eastern oregon is always going to be way better than western in that regard but I'm not sure about the klamath falls area. Places outside of pendleton and similar areas are probably fantastic for that kind of thing, if you go a little south theres pretty much just desert. Although bend would let you get to some pretty remote areas it might cause light pollution from being a midsized town, not sure how little you actually need but I've been up on mount hood and seen very little to the east but much more down south.
>>
File: Io_highest_resolution_true_color.jpg (193KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Io_highest_resolution_true_color.jpg
193KB, 1024x1024px
>>1180691
>>1180693

Of all of Earth's environments, the desert has to be my least favorite
And yet again and again through my life I'm called back to it

Zero light pollution is always best and in this, case close to being necessary
The objects I'm tracking are not exactly what you would close in celestial terms

I will be continually studying DSO's around Messier 81 and Pinwheel
As well as a number of moons within our solar system, Lo, Casstilo, Charon, Styx, Nix, Kerberos, Hydra and Pan

As an example, Nix is about 32km across and at it's furthest roughly 7 billion km away

Klamath Falls sounds better,
Thanks for the tips Anon
>>
Klamath Falls sucks
Bend is nice
Eugene is ok
I live in Corvallis, it's pretty good
>>
>>1181054
Carvallis is decent, I would honestly say roseburg is a safe bet for you. Op have you considered living in a boat and just driving out into the ocean to reduce light pollution? Your rent would only be the cost of docking your boat, Ive actually heard of quite a few people doing this (not for astronomy, but yaknow) actually disregard this entire post, I forgot looking through a telescope on a rocking boat would be painfuly hard. Possibly consider a calm inland lake? Idk man
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.