[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello friends, very soon a friend and I will be going to Nepal.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: pokhara.jpg (83KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
pokhara.jpg
83KB, 700x393px
Hello friends, very soon a friend and I will be going to Nepal.

We'll be in Kathmandu for a few days and then Pokhara for another 2 or 3 then we're hitting the ABC trek.

What are some things we can do in Ktm/Pokhara?

All I have in mind in tea, maybe massages before the trek, and walking around.

We are considering renting motor bikes, are they relatively cheap still? Most things I see on the internet about Nepal is at least a few years old so I'm wondering how prices have changed if at all.
>>
When? I'll be in Kathmandu at the end of the month, then go trek Everest.
>>
File: P1010817.jpg (7MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P1010817.jpg
7MB, 4608x3456px
Was in kathmandu this summer. It's a super hectic city and a complete mess in terms of construction and infrastructure. The roads are bad and the traffic is india tier.

Some interesting sights are the stubas, monkey temple and the area where they do the crematation by the river. Can't remember the name now. Thamel is a cool market area to walk around. Prepare for everyone trying to sell you stuff, especially after the earthquake when there isnt much tourism going on. Everyone will try to rip you off especially the taxis. Always negotiate the price before.

I really suggest doing a day trip to Phaktapur. It's about a 30 minute drive from Kathmandu. It's way more calm and more traditional.
There's a really interesting place called the Peacock shop. It's a shop owned by a carpenter guy and there's all kinds of wood sculptures and artwork. The owner also showed us around his house which is in the same building. A super friendly guy like most nepali people in general. There's also alot of pottery stuff in the city.

Food in nepal is great but be cautious. The hygeine there is bad. Don't drink the tap water. One of you getting sick at some point is highly possible but that's just how it goes. The momo's are really good.

>We are considering renting motor bikes
you might change your mind when you get there. The traffic is absolute chaos. Atleast in the cities.

Also prepare for cold weather in the mountains. It's kind of late to do the trekking in november-december but it's gonna be amazing for sure.
>>
>>1180653
We'll be in Kathmandu the 24-26th.

>>1180659
Thanks for the suggestions, we definitely want to check out t he monkey temple.

Getting sick is a big worry, but perhaps I shouldn't fret too much over it.

I have plenty of /out/ gear so I am well equipped for the mountain cold.

Also, were things expensive while you were there? What were you spending per day?
>>
Pashupatinath is the name of the place where they do cremations. Definitely worth a visit.

I haven't been to Nepal for a few years, so I'm unsure of the state of things post-earthquake.

For 2-3 days in KTM, Monkey Temple, the Bouda Stupa, Pashupatinath and the Durbar Squares (if still standing) are probably as much as it is worth doing in terms of sightseeing. Just hang out and enjoy the chaos.

Don't worry about getting sick; you're going to. Just make sure you avoid tap water in KTM and use common sense when eating. There are actually some excellent restaurants in Thamel, probably don't do too much eating outside of Thamel unless you're with a local who can ensure the safety of what you're eating. And make sure you avoid the tap water in KTM.

Pokhara is a lot more chilled and is pretty much tailor-made for hanging out at a restaurant/cafe and doing not much else. You could check out Sarangkot, which is a hill in Pokhara which gives amazing views of the Annapurnas. People go there for sunset, stay the night, then leave after sunrise. Last time I was there, we hired mountain bikes for about 5 dollars for the day, paid a taxi to put our bikes on the roof rack, drive us to the top of Sarangkot, checked out the views, then rode back down.

You've also got the lake; you can hire a boat and head across to the Shanti stupa which also gives amazing views of the Annapurnas. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get there.

And my only piece of advice re ABC: start at Nayapul, not Phedi. Phedi is a cunt of a place to start.

And make sure you have a sleeping bag, not all guesthouses may be able to provide them (guests taking more than the allocated 1 blanket per person). It might also be worth booking ahead if traveling in a big group. In the off-season they close a lot of the guesthouses and rotate the business, you just need one giant Chinese tourist group ahead of you to take all the beds and you're fucked.

Sadly, I can't advise on costs post-earthquake.
>>
>>1180761
Well it's one of the poorest countries in asia so I wouldnt worry about spending too much money. You can get pretty much any dish at a restaurant for less than 5 dollars. Taxis are also just a few dollars for a short drive in the city. At some of the temple areas you have to pay to get in.

The only thing I found exeptionally expensive was beer at bars. A big bottle was like 5 dollars.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.