[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bike Touring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: 00r0r_9NgONC5JhNz_600x450.jpg (189KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00r0r_9NgONC5JhNz_600x450.jpg
189KB, 600x450px
Any of you guys do this? I'm doing my first long tour in january, biking from Atlanta to new Orleans. If I like it, I'll use a combination of wwoof and craigslist gigs to get all the way to the west coast. Share some of your own adventure stories.
>>
File: till RP.jpg (2MB, 2080x1254px) Image search: [Google]
till RP.jpg
2MB, 2080x1254px
I toured Iceland this may alone. Problem with touring Iceland alone is that you really are alone. Usually you go through cities and meet people everywhere but i felt really lonely at some points. Also I nearly quit because of an average 10m/s headwind for a week on the entire south coast. Holy shit I have never been as frustrated. You know when you think it's really fucking windy outside? That's average Icelandic wind. I was lucky with the weather, usually it rains a shitton in may there but I had had like five days of rain/snow in three weeks time. However I had a headwind or heavy sidewind (I realise now I was living seriously dangerous riding on roads without a shoulder struggling to stay upright because of sidewinds while huge trucks pass me by in 90km/h, sucking me in as they pass by) like 75% of the time. I mean it was an experience for sure and I don't regret doing it but man it didn't really feel like a vacation lol. If you ever wanna tour Iceland, do it in the summer, not early spring. It's way too windy and riding in -5 to +5 is literally the worst temperature range

Like I have no problems riding in rain or snow, but I just can't stand constant headwinds, it's not fun at all

That said I'm heading off to New Zealand with a friend in January. We're going to go around the south Island, all self supported with tents and a camp stove

What kind of route are you taking? I don't know much US geography.
>>
>>1180664
That story is cool as fuck. Pic related is a rough estimate of the route I'm taking. I should definitely get the specifics down before I ride though. Don't wanna end up on huge roads with cars whizzing by the whole time.
>>
File: IMG_20161111_233317.jpg (75KB, 720x637px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161111_233317.jpg
75KB, 720x637px
Forgot pic
>>
Never been on the road for more than 1.5 week, however i've always been dreaming about cycling from Europe to China untill I recently discovered this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOrCDDpk39gq3jG4ftOO9JXuCONU_p4nM

A bloke on a bike cycling from Alaska to Argentina. Mirin.
>>
>>1180664
I self-drove Iceland in a small SUV. I remember those winds being the most near the West Fjords. Hair would go straight up, and you could hurt yourself with your car door slamming on your body while trying to get out. I'd say at least 60mph sustained winds all the time I was there, gusts were extra :)

And yea, there was little shoulder, most of the time it was kind like a lava field off the side of the road and nothing you'd want to veer off into even a few inches. The roads were always perfectly maintained however.
>>
>>1180807
>>1180806
I meant like what kind of landscape it is, like flat field land or something?

>>1180863
I never got to the west fjords, there was still too much snow so most roads were completely inaccessible. 60mph is fucking storm winds though dude, didn't you have trouble just driving in that?
Yeah the road was usually elevated like two or three meters, luckily I never had to jump off the road, though it was close at times. Some people just shouldn't have a drivers license..

>>1180858
That looks pretty sweet. You thinking a silk road-kind of route? I want to do that too, afghanistan himalayas looks amazing
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.