[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

whats your opinion on it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: mongol-rally-logo-sm.png (17KB, 300x161px) Image search: [Google]
mongol-rally-logo-sm.png
17KB, 300x161px
whats your opinion on it?
>>
>>1179277
I'm living in the UK for the next few years for work, so I'm planning on living within my means and doing it when I'm done. Fairly new traveler thoigh, so I plan on going with a GPS for most parts, taking my time, saving cash by camping when I can, stuff like that.

I don't plan on doing the official route because I can't afford to donate that much to charity, but I still regularly donate over time to the Combined Federal Campaign so that's how I justify it.

I still can't figure out if I want to take the Eastern European route, or the Balkans and Caucuses route: Eastern Europe appeals to me because I have Ukie friends who I talk with about Transnistria and Donbass, and that's interesting to me because I love politics and geography. But the Caucuses route could go by Nagorno Karabakh, Georgia, Abkhazia and South Ossettia. All really cool imho, but the mountain roads there look like death traps and I feel like I'd have to make no stops in Chechnya or Dagestan.

Planning on going, OP?
>>
im thinking about doing it with some friends next some, but also not the official one, because we would sell our car there, what the mongol rally guys object to for some reasons

we would probably go through the balkan, turkey and then spend most of our time in iran and the stans, because they are the most appealing to us and we dont have unlimited time, as we are university students right now
>>
>>1179310
Yeah I heard about how Mongol Rally discourages car sale and scrap, is there any 'real-traveler-approved' way of dealing with cars? Mongolia is a beautiful country, I don't want my beater car to be another pile of rust seeping into Ulan Bator's water.

So far I figure I could contact Steppe Riders tours and ask what I should do, maybe even donate it to them.
>>
>>1179316
we are not that far in our planning but we thought about just selling it to some local car dealer, as we figured it doesnt really make a difference wether we sell it there or we sell it in our home country and it gets transportet there or in some other developing country and we dont have any control over what people will do with it anyway
>>
>>1179323
The problem is that, by the time your car gets there, it's always limping along with a million problems. A lot of the population in UB could be health affected by the car breaking down over time: Remember the Mongol Rally attracts thousands of cars that are mostly abandoned.

I'd shoot an email to Steppe Riders. Amazing local tours for suuuper cheap, family run, they'll have some advice. Properly disposing batteries and tires, maybe.

Also see if you can visit Ashgabat, it's like North Korea and Iran had a beautiful baby. Get a tour of the Aral Sea, too. Uzbekistan is a diplomatic nightmare for a sponraneous trip, so I'll probably see it driving through Aralsk, Kazakhstan. I have a lot of this in my mind, already
>>
>>1179277
At one point I thought it would be cool, but now I think it's a stupid idea, and I wouldn't even have a group of friends to do that with if I still thought it were cool.
>>1179327
>Ashgabat, it's like North Korea and Iran had a beautiful baby
It looks nice enough, but it's just another dictator show capital...pretty soulless.
>>
>>1179277
The bits of the route that are worth seeing are all in Europe and pretty easy. Anything beyond that is just boring. If you want to do a trip to push yourself but isn't endless boring grassland do a trip up Africa.
>>
>>1180674
desu I found a lot of interesting things to do in Asia, that's the whole reason I'd want to go

>Buddhism and separatists in Tuva, and a huge fort in the middle of Siberia that nobody knows the true purpose of
>Semipalatinsk in Kazakhstan, drive up to a crater lake in moonsuits while your geiger counter explodes with rads
>Some village (have it saved somewhere) in Kazakhstan that has an outbreak of a strange disease they believe is coming from the mines overlooking the town that's almost zombie-like
>Aral Sea, ships stranded in the middle of the desert
>Sacred mountains and shamans in Mongolia
>Altai, and possibly finding the history of Oirot Republic
>Caucasus, with South Ossettia, Abkhazia and Nagorno Karabakh if you maneuver your route right
>Chechnya for a plastic, propaganda city
>dick around abandoned tanks in central Asia
>fermented horse milk in Kyrgyzstan

Europe is too common, I don't care about the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben desu fampai
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.