[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey all you Canucks on /trv/, I'm a guy from Buffalo, NY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 250px-Manitoba_in_Canada.svg.png (32KB, 250x212px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Manitoba_in_Canada.svg.png
32KB, 250x212px
Hey all you Canucks on /trv/, I'm a guy from Buffalo, NY who just received a job offer that will substantially increase my standard of living- but I'll have to relocate to Winnipeg. I've been to Winnipeg and I find both cities to be pretty similar. And I love the Sabres-Jets rivalry that's playing out as I type this message. I feel like it's the best move I'll ever make.

So why SHOULDN'T I move to Winnipeg?
>>
B.C resident here

Having visited Winnipeg once before i can honestly say no amount of pay increase would ever make me equate moving to Winnipeg with increasing my standard of living.

Its freezing, its crime ridden , its boring and there are humming bird sized mosquito in the summer.

i would at least visit for a few days before making any commitments
>>
>>1177276
Thank you very much for your response. My responses may seem flippant but I am truly taking them all into consideration. At this point my greatest concern is still the natives (who I apparently have no potential of being 'cool with', like my criminal neighbors who love me).

I'm probably going to make the move. But I truly am glad I have your comments to boot
>>
File: cp.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cp.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
What do you work in?

Winnipeg has a crime problem for a Canadian city. Annual average is 30 natives and 15 non natives homicides. Majority of those are prostitutes and drug dealers. The rates are 1/10 of problematic American cities though. Baltimore, Chicago and New Orleans would LOVE to have Winnipeg's crime problem. You're not going to move into the north side, so don't be too worried about it. At worst you might get mugged, which is unheard of in some other Canadian cities. The way the legal system works property crime is a lot more common.

Most natives are just trying to get by, there's plenty of friendly ones too. Twice I've been cornered by natives in other towns and scared. One gave me a fist bump and the other joked how I resembled a comic book character. Be careful with stats too, pic related's mom is a native chief. There's blue eyed blondes that are considered native by the government.

Actual problems with Winnipeg
it's in Canada, there's going to be a bunch of weird little things to get used to
temperatures range from -40(November through March) to 40
it's really humid, Manitoba is 20% water and Winnipeg is just south of a giant lake so temperatures feel even worse, but you'd be used to this in Buffalo
all that water makes it a mosquito paradise, the city does giant spraying to try and keep it under control
Canada has a bit of a housing bubble, real estate costs more in general
everything other than health care costs more in Canada, irregardless of currency exchange
the immigration system lets in a lot of filipinos, you'll deal with a lot of them in any service industry
it's an isolated city, nearest actual city is Minneapolis 700km away
>>
>>1177301
why is there a need to be careful around white-looking natives? are they more protected in some way?
>>
>>1177265
Haven't been there but has reputation as worst major city in the country.
>>
>>1177364
He means just don't shit talk natives loosely I think, most FN people I know don't care but those are the "White ones"
>>
>>1177364
I meant the city is 10% native by the census, but in reality it's a smaller amount that are actual native.
>>
>>1177282
winnipegger here

natives are only a big problem in the northern half of the city. find a place to live in the southern half, like fort garry or river heights. do you know which area of the city you'd be working in?
>>
chugs are the worst. they need to be gassed.
>>
>>1177265
high crime rate, lots of natives, nothing to do, horrible winters. but, im sure theres positives as well, ive never been there myself, its just what ive heard. and if it increases your standard of living, thats a pretty good reason to go.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.