[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: sdasdas.jpg (339KB, 1486x1222px) Image search: [Google]
sdasdas.jpg
339KB, 1486x1222px
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to Japan on an academic year-long exchange come September 2017. I don't know a whole lot about contemporary Japan, but I need to pick 3 universities as a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. Does anybody here know anything about the universities included in this table or the prefectures/cities they reside in?

I'm probably going to check out some JP exchange forums after this but I thought I'd ask some of you first just in case. I have to arrange everything myself from the initial application to passport renewal, TB chest X-Ray, vaccinations i.e. Japanese encephalitis, Hep B, my visa, my Japanese accommodation, my modules, currency exchange, travel arrangements, financial support etc., and I'm kind of bricking it.
>>
>>1176136
Waseda is objectively the best university on the list. I think they are ranked #2 in the country
>>
>>1176136
If you're choosing based solely on academic merit, then go with this guy >>1176178

If not, I'd suggest at least looking up each prefecture's climate if that is a factor for you. Then, look at each university on Google maps and see what's in the immediate neighborhood - is it in the middle of nowhere? Is there a bus stop or train station relatively nearby? Hiw about amenities - is there anywhere to buy groceries? Etc. It also couldn't hurt to take a look at their campuses and available clubs on their websites.

You might also try asking in the Japanese thread on /int/ since it seems like a lot of posters there are college-aged.

If you need help with anything regarding the Japanese language, post here and I'll try to give you a hand.
>>
Generally in Japan the state schools are more prestigious than private schools as they're harder to get into. If you're looking for academic rigor, or future career prospects in Japan, choose a state school. The best of these from your list is definitely Kyoto University (Kyodai), which most Japanese consider the #2 university in the country. Waseda, as the other anons have pointed out, is well regarded but not nearly to the same extent as Todai (#1) and Kyodai (#2).

Do you want to be in Tokyo? Then choose Waseda. Do you want academic prestige/career prospects? Then choose Kyoto University. Do you want a lower cost of living, plus access to winter sports and a more laidback lifestyle? Then choose Hokkaido University (an excellent choice, especially if you're studying one of the sciences or engineering).
>>
I'd love to go to Waseda or one of the more prestigious universities but honestly I don't believe I have the academic capability right now.
My core degree module is the Japanese language, and I think maybe if I had another year I could easily attain a 3.2 GPA, but in the present with the course intensity I'm probably looking at around 2.5 to MAYBE 2.7, but that's honestly fine with me since the course is hard as balls and I can recognise my limits.

Thanks for the advice thus far, wasn't really expecting any replies so this has been a nice surprise. Currently I've only really taken a liking to Hokkaidou, but that's mostly down to its beautiful climate which isn't a very good reason. I don't even know where to begin researching this though, there's so many options.
>>
>>1176186
I forgot /int/ existed thanks for the tip.
Are you also a student of the language though? I am still struggling with the sheer amount of verbs so if you have any tips for memorisation it would be greatly appreciated, that and remembering kanji. We get around 40-60 new vocab with 2 x vocab tests and around 4-8 grammar points per week with another 2 x grammar test, and then about 20 new kanji per week with a final test every Friday. We have a test everyday 5 days a week basically.

Sometimes I feel I'll be lucky just to pass at all so any advice on cementing the knowledge in my head would be wonderful. I'm currently mid-intermediate level.
>>
>>1176228
>I forgot /int/ existed thanks for the tip.
Good luck wading through the shitposts, almost everyone sane has left that cesspit of a board by now.
>>
>>1176224
>its beautiful climate which isn't a very good reason

If your aim is to improve your Japanese skills, picking a program based on climate is as good a reason as any. The Tokyo programs (with the exception of Waseda) are pretty much six of one, half a dozen of the other -- if I were looking for immersion I'd steer away from Tokyo as there's too much opportunity there to survive/socialize in English only. Nagoya, Fukuoka, and Kobe are all big cities; the first two are lively and with lots to do, and with relatively warm climates. Kobe is conveniently located, but apart from that doesn't have much going for it. Sapporo's climate is good if you don't mind a lot of snow in winter (it's not really all that cold); English-language abilities there are generally fairly poor and the far majority of non-Japanese there are from China, which should help you pick up actual, everyday Japanese. Sapporo's cost of living is low; it's easy to find a 1LDK apartment near campus for USD300-400, which cuts down considerably on transportation costs.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.