[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>decide to travel the world as a frugal vagabond since I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

>decide to travel the world as a frugal vagabond since I have the camping gear necessary
>need money though
>take every shift available at work
>end up working pretty much every day

I had my last day off October 5th. My next day off is December 7th.

I'll be leaving with $10000 at least, which is saved up in 4 months of work.

Do you think that working yourself half to death for a short while is worth it for years of travel?

Because I'm kinda starting to doubt myself here.
>>
10k will last you 3mths.
>>
>>1175285
Of hookers and blow, yes.

I plan on spending max $200 a month on food and other amenities, since I can just camp and cook over a fire.
>>
I kinda do the same but not to that extreme. I make sure I have a day off every 14 days of working so I can do some housekeeping like laundry and grocery shopping. Other then that, it's 12-14 hour days.

Or you can just move to work. Eg Australian jobs usually pay $20 a hour
>>
>>1175286
>Do you think that working yourself half to death for a short while is worth it for years of travel?

For me it wouldn't be worth it because I would not enjoy living out of a tent for years. Traveling is an enjoyable endeavor, or a way to do things I enjoy, so if I had yo sacrifice the things or comforts I enjoy while traveling, then traveling itself would not be enjoyable. But if that's a lifestyle that you enjoy, then no reason to doubt yourself.
>>
>>1175279
I think it's definitely worth it. It's a great reward for a tough challenge and you will feel very accomplished when the work is done.

Where do you work at btw?
>>
>>1175346
I'm a receptionist at a downtown hotel. A bunch of people just got laid off, so there's enough work available for me to work every day.

I mean, for unskilled part time work, it's pretty good. I get to stay inside in the warm, I get 3 meals a day and all the coffee I can drink.
>>
>>1175347
That's a nice gig. But where do you want to go where you can camp out all the time. Don't you want to visit cities? 200 a month seems a bit tough even for hobo travelers.
>>
>>1175349
$200 is luxurious for rice, canned veggies, self caught fish and multivitamins. I'm starting with a year in Asia, then I'll see. No one gives a fuck about you camping innawoods there.
>>
Doing something similar, working full time with a shitty manual labour job to save up for a SEA backpacking journey. Only gonna work for like 2 months though since it's cheap and it's going to get too cold to bear(outdoors 7 hours a day).
>>
>>1175285
Kys
>>
>>1175279
you should tone it down a bit bro, no need to work like a dog, it might get you sick or develop some mental issues

get at least one day off/week, spare some to time to enjoy life as well
you might also grow too big expectations and end up disappointed in the end
>>
>>1175349

Not op. But lived amongst the street people in a sea country for two years while still doing visa runs. The things I saw and did and ate could not be duplicated staying western style. I learned a lot, met fantastic people who I probably never would have interacted with, and now have memories and stories of a lifetime. You ought to try and explore without modern luxuries
>>
>>1175666
I agree. Traveling is great but you also want to enjoy yourself when you do. I work like a dog during the week but I need at least one day off on the weekend.
>>
>>1175279

Here's a tip. Learn to take cold water showers before you go. A lot of toilets over there double as showers. In bus stations and some city parks they have showers for very little, so pack a small zip lock bag with a small bar of soap, after you use the toilet, slip off your clothes, soap up and use the hose or pail to wash yourself afterwards. There's no need for a hotel or hostel unless you want one. Also, don't know where you are, but learn to wash your clothes with a big bar of lye soap, rinse and put over a bush to dry. Coin laundries are few and far between. Also put your passport and essential docs in a ziplock bag. A douchebag put his backpack on top of mine and during the trip it empied unto my backpack and my passport became unlaminated and immigration didnt want to accept it!
>>
>>1175782

Also, 99 cent stores sell these hooks, bring one with you, and you can keep your backpack off the wet floor (or worse, outside the stall) this way you can keep your stuff safe and off the floor of the toilet or shower.

Oh and a cheap pair of flipflops, as some toilets and showers are seldomly cleaned
>>
>>1175786

forgot picture...
>>
>>1175349

You just don't get it. I was in southern thailand, sleeping at the edge of the beach in the jungle. Found a soft patch of grass, put my blankets out, a gentle breeze was blowing, a big change from the hot and humid day, finally able to sleep, zzzz.. all of sudden..rumble and rumble..I'm literally bouncing off the ground..ahhggh....EARTHQUAKE...wtf...it was pitch black no lights anywhere..all of a sudden I see an elephant!$ WTF! Then voices, all of a sudden the elephant goes charging off with two more and there handlers. I guess I had bedded down in their grazing area. They let me alone and chained up the elephants a distance away, but every time I moved even a little them elephants would start stirring and moving.

Now, I never would have had an experience like this in a city or hotel
>>
>>1175791
>>1175770
I wasn't really dismissing that lifestyle. I wouldn't mind doing something similar myself albeit not for a whole year or longer. I was just curious about OPs plan and if he is never going to want to visit a city and soak in the culture. I never talked about hotels and luxury
>>
>>1175823
OP here.

I do want to visit cities, but not stay there all the time. I want to celebrate NY 17/18 in Tokyo where I could blow a grand or so in a couple of days, but other than that I'll be traveling along coastlines for fishing and foraging, trading with the locals of the small villages along the way.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.