[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /trv/, i'm a poor wageslave college student working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: aa-logo.png (28KB, 622x96px) Image search: [Google]
aa-logo.png
28KB, 622x96px
hey /trv/, i'm a poor wageslave college student working at Best Buy and today a customer didn't want to ring up with me because she said she uses AAdvantage links and gets flight miles to use.

it sounded pretty fishy to me, but she said she was actually able to get a fully paid for Europe round trip just by doing this for a year or so. How feasible is this? anyone else use this or something similar? if it's true i'm signing up right now, I want to vacation outside the US super bad.
>>
>>1172977
You can use shopping portals to buy everyday shit and get points for buying those things, it sounds like that's what said customer is talking about.
>>
>>1172977
See the credit card thread.

What airport is hubbed where you live? Closest big one? That will play a big role in to which program is best. I a m buy a delta hub and use sky miles

>>1169346
>>
>>1172983
i'm aware of what it does, i'm curious if it is actually worth the time and effort though, like many rewards programs are not.

>>1172984
i have like no credit yet so that won't really apply to me but i have been trying to get some so i'll check that out anyways. as for the airport, I live in Santa Maria, CA so that's technically the closest airport to me but nearby would be San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and then 3 hours away is LAX. how can i find out about any of their "hubs"?
>>
>>1172992
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_International_Airport

Delta AMEX is probably the easiest airline card to get, and right now will come with 50K skymiles.
>>
>>1173000

it's 70k

check out /r/churning for guides and updated info
>>
>>1173195
>/r/churning
What's this? I assume not adult requests
>>
>>1173200
Churning is the act of signing up for credit cards, meeting the minimum spend required for a point/cashback bonus, then cancelling the card a year or so down the road (depending on the cards).

R/churning is only useful reddit I've ever encountered. They tend to give very good advice on what cashback/mile/point rewards cards to get for your specific situation, and it has guides and FAQs on how to get started.

>>1172992
If you've ever had your name, even as cosigned, on a loan, or rented an apartment, etc. then you have credit. There are also easy cards to get to start building credit. I'd make an account on credit karma first to get your ballpark score, then start checking what that can get you. At lowest end, you can get a 1.5%-2% cashback card (Chase Freedom Unlimited, Capitalone Quicksilver, Citi Double Cash) or a 5% category card (Chase Freedom, Discover it) which gives 5% on spending categories like groceries, gas, dept. stores that change quarterly, and 1% on everything else you buy.

If your credit score is a bit higher, you can try going for an actual rewards card like Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Gold, American Airlines AAdvantage, Delta Amex Gold (this one is currently at an all time high bonus point offer until 11/9).

Make sure to do your research on current offers for the different cards. From your hub, any airline card would work for you. Personally, I would go with a Chase card simply because of the flexibility with the points and thde difficulty of being approved for them if you've opened more than 5 credit cards in the past 2 years.
>>
>>1173000
cool i'll check this out.

>>1173306
i haven't, only credit i know i have so far is from a $400 watch i'm paying $40 a month for. no loans, etc. bought my first car with cash. i'll check credit karma anyways but I got denied for a card at my own work so my odds arent great lol. I bank at Union rn but I think I might switch to Chase, are they any good?

>Make sure to do your research on current offers for the different cards

i think i need to research credit, banking and skymiles in general, i'm honestly really stupid when it comes to this stuff. thanks public education
>>
>cool i'll check this out.

Delta Amex is probably out of your reach right now if you were denied for a best buy card. Generally card denials will give a reason as to why, whether its bad credit/missed payments, low average age of accounts, too much recently opened credit, or something else.

>i haven't, only credit i know i have so far is from a $400 watch i'm paying $40 a month for. no loans, etc. bought my first car with cash. i'll check credit karma anyways but I got denied for a card at my own work so my odds arent great lol.

Nerdwallet and doctorofcredit are two good resources for comparing credit cards, learning about your credit score along with what hurts/helps it, and so on.

I believe both sites also have links to see if you're preapproved for a credit card. If at all possible, sign up for a cashback card to start with as cash will be the most versatile reward you can get. Pick up reward points/miles cards down the road once your credit score has gone up. It may take as many as several years to reach that point where you are getting approved for mile cards. I started several years ago myself, with a capitalone quicksilver while in college, through a mailed offer. I was working part time in a starbucks at that point and had a cosigned car loan with my Dad.

>I bank at Union rn but I think I might switch to Chase, are they any good?

No idea, as I bank with a local credit union. Nerdwallet is a good resource to explore a new checking and savings bank account. Some offer nice (several hunred dollar) bonuses when opening the account, but be mindful of fees.
>>
>>1173328
>>1173440
2/2

>i think i need to research credit, banking and skymiles in general, i'm honestly really stupid when it comes to this stuff. thanks public education

The bright side for you is that you'll have plenty of time to learn the game and watch from the sidelines before jumping in after building up your credit. Regarding skymiles (delta's term for their reward points, every company calls them something different), I would not target those specifically as they tend to be low value in comparison to other reward points. There's a few sweet spots and rare promotions where you can get decent value out of them, but for domestic flights Southwest is a much better program to get rewards for. For international, Chase, Citi, and Amex all have very good international airline partners that in most cases give better value for your points than any American flagged airline.
>>
>>1173440
>>1173441
taking note of all of this, thank you for the info! i definitely am watching out for fees, Chase said they waive their fees for students but if i stop taking classes for a semester i get hit with them all so i'm gonna reconsider that. I'll check those websites out and see where I stand credit-wise.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.