[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are freight ships so expensive to travel on? I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: f290db318ac4a91c88644e11bfbfc393.jpg (1016KB, 2161x1749px) Image search: [Google]
f290db318ac4a91c88644e11bfbfc393.jpg
1016KB, 2161x1749px
Why are freight ships so expensive to travel on?

I've been trying to research about traveling by freight and it's cheaper to just go on a cruise. Wtf is this?

Does anyone know about really cheap freight ships to go port to port on?
>>
>>1172959
>Why are freight ships so expensive to travel on?
Because there's not much room in them and the way they're managed they're not even supposed to accommodate visitors in the first place.

>Does anyone know about really cheap freight ships to go port to port on?
Try third world companies in third world ports.
>>
>>1172963
They apparently always have extra cabin space. Why should it be $100 a day to get one of those extra cots?
>>
>>1172965
>Why should it be $100 a day to get one of those extra cots?
Why shouldn't it?
>>
>>1172965
>Why should it be $100 a day to get one of those extra cots?

Basic supply and demand buddy. There are a lot of cheap bastards like you who want to travel, but very few cargo ships who want to deal with the liability of having you on board.
>>
>>1172959
>Why...
In a sense, the "why" does not matter, what matters is that it is so.

Don't go down the rabbit hole of making yourself angry over "why."

Small ships doing short routes from and to relatively unregulated ports might be cheaper, Hell they might be really cheap, if the Captain is making money on the side. But those are also going to be sketchy as fuck situations. If "PROBABLY, I will not have my fillings pried out before the dump my still-alive body over the side" is a level of risk you're up for, go for it.
>>
>>1172959

For most boats owned and run by Westerners it because to be able to take visitors on board for actual trips at sea they need different insurance and a special classification to allow them to be taken.

To get this extra classification to allow non-crew to stay on the boat while under way there's a bunch of regulations and things that the ship needs to do to be able to take passengers. Its like hotel regulations, like there needs to be windows, needs to be free of hazards, needs to be no chance of non crew interfering with machinery ect...

To get this costs money, and often modifications need to be done to the boat to get it up to standard (if you have ever been on a working boat you would understand).

When you enter a normal port, often the port authority will send a pilot on board the ship and sometimes an inspector to check if the boat is safe for landing at a given port and things like weather the crew are properly looked after and trained. If they find extra passengers on boats and deem them a risk to safety (like, they can get access to important machinery areas), they can stop a boat from docking and potentially tell them to leave the port.

Most major ports nowadays have some kind of port authority that subscribe to international maritime regulations, so pretty much this is why few ships will offer to take passengers without proper permits. This applies to all western ports basically and many others.

Now, there are ports that don't subscribe to the regulations or have authorities that can be easily bribed. Most of these are in 3rd world countries, so you might have some luck going in between countries on those kinds of boats, but dont expect much, on those kinds of boats crews and living quarters aren't typically very nice,.

t. merchant sailor.
>>
>hitching a ride on a cargo ship
This isn't the eighteenth century m8 get a plane ticket
>>
>>1172982
How is it to work in the merchant navy? I've always looked at it like a plan b.

Either sailor or fisherman.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.