[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you use your bank's credit card for traveling? They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

Do you use your bank's credit card for traveling?

They tried to push me into it today, but I have also received card applications from airlines that I have acquired a few thousands miles on.
Not sure which to pick. Going to Japan in January.

Richfags don't bother answering, I'm not in your league.
>>
I have a visa card from my bank that only charges me 1.5% of the amount I withdraw, never bothered exchanging cash.

Just check the conditions and choose the best one I guess.

(I don't live in America though)
>>
>>1169346
Yes, I do. Booking my flights with it also gives me travel insurance.
>>
>>1169360
Meh that's not even important
>>
It really depends what kind of travel you do. A specific airline might give you the best points wise, but you're more limited in which flights you can choose from them, and how you can use them with partner airlines, etc.

For your bank, it's only worth it if you are earning more by limiting spending of your points on travel. for instance, if their regular card offers the same points value with no category restrictions, then that's a much better choice because you're not limited with what you can use it on.

If you're not a big spender, it's gonna take you a while to accrue anything meaningful anyway (even with a sign up bonus).

visa signature is decent for traveling though - look up the general perks, and if they have foreign transaction fees and shit. ideally you use cash abroad anyway, but it's always good to have.
>>
>>1169346
>going to Japan
Decide soon thatd be a lot of miles to waste
>>
>>1169346
By bankcard, I hope you don't mean debit with the Visa logo? It's not a real credit card and won't work to secure rental cars, hotel rooms, sports equipment security deposits, whether it be skis or a jet ski.

Bank of America might as well be called Bank of Fees.

Don't count on miles to ever be something you can use when you want for any kind of deal if you aren't a richfag, as you say. You will always make more in getting a cashback percentage card than accruing some kind of gift at the end of the year you could find on woot or ebay at that price, if you cared. You simply won't get enough clout to do first class travel from the credit card (though you should join the frequent flier club anyway). But, the minimum perks in most good airline cards, such as advance priority boarding, a free checked bag (like if you went shopping or simply wanted a handsfree trip home) and no transaction fees abroad are solid. The added travel insurance on that bag can be full replacement value vs something that won't even cover the cost of the bag or shoes. Using an airport lounge during an unexpected flight cancellation level of layover can be just what you need not to ruin your day or might be the one free agent to get you rebooked and upgraded with a wink when you get on hold on the phone during some weather shutdown.

The best card to use while traveling for straight ATM use, when you don't need credit is probably Charles Schwab checking.

>>1169428
Or you could just not ever carry a balance, and set up an auto-pay for your forgetfulness. You can't even get a loaner car from the dealership without your credit card, even when you aren't paying. Talk to the thousands of exbankruptcy people about their ability to travel. It sucks. It's not possible to be completely off the grid and have a full life. Be responsible.
>>
>>1169393
Too obvious, please troll again later.
>>
File: points.jpg (13KB, 412x97px) Image search: [Google]
points.jpg
13KB, 412x97px
>>1169346
>Do you use your bank's credit card for traveling?
Yes, look at pic related, it's all my points I earned in the last 6 months for spending almost nothing.

60,000 points will get me roundtrip between the USA/Europe next summer and I'll hopefully double them by that time.

You don't need to be rich to get a lot out of this. Just look around for good cards and learn about manufactured spending.
>>1169432
>Bank of America might as well be called Bank of Fees.
That's generally only true for their bank accounts, but their credit cards aren't particularly worthwhile anyways.
>>
>>1169432
Are Americans that indoctrinated? I use my debit card to pay for hotel reservations all the time. You don't need a credit card for anything
>>
>>1169439
>Are Americans that indoctrinated? I use my debit card to pay for hotel reservations all the time. You don't need a credit card for anything
https://www.thrifty.com/Car_Rental_Information/content/Car_Rental_with_Credit_Card.aspx
>>
I'm from an ass-backwards 3rd world shithole (thus not rich by any means), and even I managed to get 2 round-trip tickets to Peru for me and my girlfriend for $96 each from accumulating miles for a little less than a year

I just try to use the card whenever possible for everyhing I spend on, take advantage of promotions from my bank, and purchasing shit from ebay for people without credit cards, so they pay me in cash and I get miles

I really dont care about travel insurances and priority boarding, vip rooms, etc. I just use them to get cheap plane tickets.

>>1169437
thanks for the manufactured spending tip, will look into it
>>
>cards
>bank fees
>going through all of this shit
>everyone in this thread

Get paid in cash, stick said cash into a dirty sock in the bottom of my bag among other dirty socks, sleep with knife, anyone who steps too close gets the shank. That's how i avoid most of these headaches.
>>
>>1169747
well there's gonna be at least a minimum effort if you are getting any kind of reward dont you think

Of course if money is not an issue to you, go ahead and spend millions, but the rest of us will appreciate every cent we can save.
>>
>>1169432
I am planning on moving my money to bank of america
I thought there were no fees if I have a certain amount? 1500 in checking and something else in savings?
Fill me in on their fees please
>>
>>1169753
Are they really worth it? I spend more time overseas these days than back in my home cunt (esl fag), so i figure overseas charges would end up raping me. Given the nature of my work, i appreciate saving what i can lol.
>>
>>1169761
A good card won't have foreign transaction fees
>>
>>1169747
>financial illiteracy: the post
>>
>>1169433
> I thought the renewal fees if I had a certain balance

Ha ha wrong! ..... actually I take that back it's really not funny and it's kind of fucked up. I found out yesterday that BOA had charge me about $200 in fees just for having a checking account because I didn't have direct deposit set up into it, this is in spite of the fact that I have had a balance of over 3,500 in that checking account for the last 2 years
>>
>>1169433
That wasn't the truth I've been to six countries and I've never once purchased travel insurance, and I always say no and reject it offered.

I'm kind of surprised that you think I was attempting to troll, does of TRV really buy that shit?
>>
>>1169439

Have fun when your card gets inevitably skimmed in some country where that is rampant. With a credit card, I can simply contest a charge and not worry about having to pay that on my statement. On your debit card, you're out of real money immediately.
>>
>>1170095

Why are people still banking with these banks? Go to your local credit union. They'll refund ATM fees, connect you with a real human when you call instantly, and more. Ditch those shitty banks.
>>
>>1170097
You shit up every thread you post in with your same anti-insurance drivel. It seriously gets old when you go out of your way to sperg stupid shit like that.

I hope you get run over by an ice cream truck while traveling with no insurance.
>>
I have used travel insurance when I was forced to cancel tickets due to a work obligation, and another time I could have filed a claim for lost luggage, but waited too long, but that's my fault. I jusy buy the insurance offered by my carrier when I buy, administered by Allianz. It's nominal compared to the ticket price.

As far as insurance offered by credit cards, the free insurance on rental cars I find myself using a lot
>>
>>1169446
Buahahah. This is pure indoctrination and plan bullshit lie

>f you’re thinking about renting a car, but you don’t have a credit card, things can get a little tricky. Not to say that it’s impossible, but it can be a major obstacle.
The problem: Renting a car to someone with no credit card is risky for rental car companies. Not having a credit card is a red flag that you may be a credit risk

https://www.avis.co.uk/drive-avis/car-hire-extras/pre-authorisation

>Payment card can refer to a credit, charge or debit card.
Are Americans really that bullshited into having credit cards?
>>
>>1170201
I never use debit card abroad, only cash.
Credit cards are for slaves though.
>>
>>1169439
You more or less need a credit card in the states though. I only use mine when travelling.
>>
>>1170097
Yolo just have to be extra vigilant
>>
>>1169747
How about when getting cash to exchange into the currency used in country travelling in
>>
>>1169774
Yeah what's the best card for travel
>>
>>1170201
actually, no. You can contest a debit card payment just as well, and the amount debited will be reverted to your account
>>
http://www.statravel.com.au/cash-card.htm

Opinions on this for an aussie traveling
>>
>>1169743
>thanks for the manufactured spending tip, will look

If applying for US cards (I'm assuming you are), take care doing any manufactured spending with Amex, and I think Citi as well. Amex has actually taken sign up bonuses on their credit cards back from people they suspected of using manufactured spending to meet them. Haven't heard of anything sinilar from Chase though.

Personally, I don't see the need for manufactured spending. I have a 56k/year income, spend about 2k a month, so the min spend for the point bonus for both of my Chase Sapphire cards is covered in 2 months with no extra spending or manufactured spending. 150k points for my Japan trip in April next year, and plenty of time to get Hyatt, Marriott, and IHG reward points as well from Chase's hotel cards.

Just do your research and apply for what gives the most signup bonus for a minimum spend you can meet, or has the best other perks/bonuses (ex, sapphire reserve is $450 fee but gives $300 travel credit, free priority pass, and 100k chase reward points which are worth $1500 through chase travel portal), and keep in mind some companies (like Chase) will auto deny you if you'ved been approved for more than x cards in y months.
>>
>>1172659
Can't get the site to load, but I just use the QF cash card.
>>
>>1169759
It used to be that you needed $1500 in your checking at the end of the month, but now you can't dip below that amount at all, lest you get charged (think it's like $12). If you have more than $20,000 in your savings then you can upgrade your accounts (forgot what kind of tier this is within BOA) and you don't have to worry about your checking account at all.

I honestly don't know what >>1169432 means when he says BOA is Bank of Fees. But I mainly use my bank as a means to store money and haven't been charged a fee or whatever.
>>
>>1172685
>I don't see the need for manufactured spending,
I don't make 56k/year and I wanna see shit,
but if you can do it without it more power to you
>>
>>1172764
Maybe I should rephrase. In my opinion, risk outweighs reward given how some companies have started cracking down on it, not to mention it being a grey area as far as legality goes. It's far easier and less risky, though more time consuming, to swing $4k in natural spending over the 3 months a high end card will typically give you to earn the signup bonus. 2-3 of those cards gets you enough points to fly practically anywhere in the world with points left over for hotel lodging, or you can airbnb or use other easily affordable accommodation. If that's not possible, then it sounds like a better option for you would be going to college and taking advantage of study abroad programs, or taking advantage of work abroad programs.

I don't know your situation, so without anything in that regard or knowing where you want to go and what you want to do there, all I can really do is throw out vague suggestions and hope it helps. If you're OP, then there are definitely a lot of ways to go to Japan without spending a ton, eg. WOOFing or studying abroad if you're in school.
>>
File: image.png (405KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
405KB, 1242x2208px
>>1172720
>Our STA Travel CashFLEX Visa Card is the perfect accessory for your next trip. Pre-load the travel cash card with Australian dollars and spend in any currency. Our travel visa card offers a safe way to carry money on your travels without the inconvenience of exchanging currency prior to your trip - complete with low fees and a convenient online account to manage your money 24/7.

Pic related is fees. Looks good.
>>
Just learned about the Charles Schwab checking account. No account opening or maintenance fees, and the debit card has no foreign transaction fees. Even better, Schwab reimburses you for all ATM fees, even those charged when outside the country.
>>
>>1172659
>>1172720
>>1172806
Niggas, get a Citibank Plus debit card and 28 Degrees credit card. No fees on either.
>>
>>1173493
>Went to Italy over the summer for a conference
>Took out cash anywhere I felt like it with my Schwab card
>Only had to deal with conversion fees (amerifat) and nothing else
It's pretty great
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.