[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FIRST TIME TRAVELING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: snSNctl.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
snSNctl.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
hi /trv/

I'm a 19 yr old uni student in the USA w/ around ~$2000 to travel this winter with. i'm hoping to try and travel to a country that is

1. easy for a person who has never traveled before 2. is affordable 3. capable of traveling as only an English speaker

the dates I'd be going would be January 2nd - January 9th-ish. I'm just wanting to do a week long trip to get used to traveling.

Thoughts on where to go? I'm generally interested in sights / country but I realize winter makes that difficult, so I think just having a fun city life would be cool for a few days.

Thanks !
>>
also forgot to add this in

I have been really looking at Prague simply due to an interest in culture. Is Czech Repub as a solo/beginner traveler too difficult?
>>
>>1162336

>January 2nd - January 9th-ish.

A week long trip is nothing. Unless your going somewhere very local the costs of the flights to and from would not be worth it at all.

I'd do 2 weeks and probably go to Thailand/SEA somewhere. Flights will be expensive but you can live for 2 weeks off a grand pretty easy.
>>
>>1162336
Prague is fine with English only. It'll feel as easy to navigate as Disney World It only needs 3 days max though, maybe a 4th day if you do a side trip. Brno, sadly, isn't rated "worth the time" but of course that is going to offend some people to overgeneralize it like that. It was the industrial capital of the former communist republic when they were joined, has lots of efficient government buildings at low cost installation as a result. Try taking a train to either Vienna (expensive) or Budapest (harder to do on English only as a new traveler, but totally worth it for the culture), or maybe Dresden. Or connect through Iceland and soak in the blue lagoon, or a day in Paris or something?
>>
>>1162340

I'm using some extra cash I have that is being refunded basically at the beginning of January, so I'm not really worried about the loss of the $2000. This is more of a trip to kind of get a "dip in" to traveling, yea? It's like the thought process of "If I don't do this now, I'll never start to do this" that is pushing me forward this time to go.
>>
>>1162336
>week long
Forget it. Two weeks minimum. Flights will already take at least two days off your holiday, and one day will be spent feeling like shit due to jet lag. One week is simply not enough to even bother. You'll be surprised how fast time flies when you're traveling.
>>
>>1162344

Fair enough.

I'm guessing if you want to head to Europe your on the east coast of the US then?
>>
>>1162348
>>1162340
Depends where you go. Going to Central America the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada would be international destinations that are very short flight from much of the US, and I'd think it would be as worthwhile to make a week-long trip to any of those destinations as it would to make a similar trip within the US. And jetlag would not be an issue.

Not to take anything away from making longer trips, or trips within the USA.
>>
>>1162357

Yes I'm right next to the East Coast. I'm also trying to get a feel for Europe since I may be studying abroad there in the fall of 2017.
>>
>>1162348

Two weeks would maybe be possible if I left right after Christmas (I can't miss Christmas w my family this year but my classes start the 11th of Jan.

Is it really that awful to only have one week?
>>
>>1162366
>Is it really that awful to only have one week?
yes
>>
>>1162336
Budapest (Hungary)

Ticks all your boxes and it an amazing city. I cannot wait to go back.

Can't imagine flights are cheap from USA though...
>>
>>1162366

It's not that it's awful, it's just that it's not worth it. Even two weeks feels rushed to me
>>
>>1162488
>It's not that it's awful, it's just that it's not worth it. Even two weeks feels rushed to me
Or you can not be like this guy.
>>
>>1162358
it's a good point

Panama was pretty much an American territory. Lots of English speakers, they use the dollar, it's not much of a time change

Travelling during winter to actual winter places is a bad idea if you've never traveled before. You're going to ether bring bulky clothing, or be limited in what you can do when there.
>>
>>1162488
>to me

These are the most important words in your post. What is "worth it" is totally subjective. I had a chance to go to Iceland for a week, and to Kenya for 48 hours -- not ideal, would love to have had longer, but I am very glad I grabbed those chances and saw what I got to see in a couple of interesting countries.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.
>>
>>1162578
Did someone else pay for them?
Anyone with the cash and 4 days can go to Kenya for 48 hours.

If OP is 19, 2k could be a sizable amount of money.
>>
Hell, my kids are bored after 3 or 4 days anywhere.
>>
>>1162581
Iceland was all on my dime, Kenya was partially subsidized by an event, but I wanted to touch a toe on Africa so grabbed the chance and paid the rest.

But I agree that my sittuatoion and OPs are not identical, and that not everybody has the same set of parameters defining what is "worth it."

Which was the point I was trying to make anyway -- something might be worth it to OP that is not worth it to you, or me, and contrariwise. Worth is a personal judgement, stating that something is not worth it for OP is not possible unless we live in his skin.
>>
>>1162581

OP here

the 2k is money that is completely expendable to me and I'd earn back within the next semester
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.