[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to travel in the South Pacific, but need help figuring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: polynesia.jpg (724KB, 865x577px) Image search: [Google]
polynesia.jpg
724KB, 865x577px
I want to travel in the South Pacific, but need help figuring where

I have a dream about going to small isolated islands, where there are little to no tourists, and I can live with local in small communities for short periods of time and island hop around to secluded beaches. Does this even exist? Where about in the South Pacific might I be able to live this?
>>
>>1161391
I don't think too many tourists make it to Palau or Yap, and if you are American you won't even need a visa
>>
File: Cook-Islands.jpg (48KB, 685x385px) Image search: [Google]
Cook-Islands.jpg
48KB, 685x385px
>>1161391
cook islands?
>>
>>1161396
>Palau or Yap

Nope. Palau is well on the way to heavy development (swim with the dolphins! cavort with Chinese tourists!) and Yap isn't exactly unknown (lots of scuba divers). If you want isolated in Micronesia you're better off going to an outlying atoll in Chuuk (although the Chuukese have a nasty reputation) or the Marshalls. In either case, island hopping will be difficult without a boat and living conditions will be extremely primitive.
>>
>>1161408
>If you want isolated in Micronesia you're better off going to an outlying atoll in Chuuk (although the Chuukese have a nasty reputation) or the Marshalls. In either case, island hopping will be difficult without a boat and living conditions will be extremely primitive.

Local modern communities are there? Or is this like villagers?
>>
>>1161414
>Or is this like villagers?

Villagers. Very small populations (atolls cannot support many people). Electricity by generator only, if at all; no internet, telephones, etc. Wood/corrugated tin roof houses. Traditional diets largely gone, so food choice is canned goods (spam!) and rice. Maybe interesting to visit, but deadly boring to live there unless you're looking for a life almost wholly devoid of intellectual stimulation. There's also the problem of fitting in with the locals -- not only the language issue, but also the serious question of what exactly you can contribute to the community.
>>
>>1161415
Not the OP, but I didn't get the idea he was looking for something that extreme.

Umm, what about non-tourist Phillipine Islands?
>>
>>1161391
oh theres this island thats closest to chile but i forgot. its name
>>
>>1161486
Easter Island?
>>
>>1161480
>I didn't get the idea he was looking for something that extreme.

We'll never know, will we? OP has as usual abandoned the thread.

>>1161752
>Easter Island?

Not close to Chile at all. I think >>1161486 is talking about Isla Juan Fernández. For sure you can get away from it all there (total population of the 3 islands is ~1000 people IIRC) but it's not so great for beach-hopping. (a) Not too many beaches and (b) too cold year-round for swimming.
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 443x332px
>implying there are "secluded beaches" (and yes I understand you mean idyllic white sand & swaying palms) that aren't private/resort property
>implying it won't cost you more to get to some of these places than going to somewhere with beautiful beaches & tourist infrastructure ie outer islands of Fiji
>implying the people who eke out a semi-subsistence living on isolated outcrops without running water, constant power, accesible medical care or fresh groceries would welcome you into their communities (they all want to come to Australia/NZ)

We all have dreams of being Robinson Crusoe but that's not being realistic - maybe for the 18th century explorers in the tall ships, like Cook or Flinders, but for C21 dwellers like us (especially those on 4chan), the closest you'll get to real island life is watching some locals dancing in grass skirts while you drink a cocktail from a coconut at some resort in Vanuatu or Fiji.

Personally I'd go here:

http://thebrando.com/
>>
>>1161415
Is it possible to get satellite internet in that region and just bring hella solar panels and batteries so you could have online work with just enough pay to cover what ever the satellite ISPs charge?
>>
OP should volunteer as a crew on a boat. Personal boats go Hawaii-Australia, or the other way around depending on the time of year.

Takes more time then the usual tourist ways, but only expenses are usually airfare to a major airport and the non perishable food.

>>1161480
Panama has some good ones, Pearl or San Blas islands
>>
>>1161763
>Is it possible to work for enough money to pay to access my work, which will pay enough money for me to access my work, ad infinitum?

I think I've found the flaw in your cunning plan. Apart from that, this is such a dumb idea I don't even know where to start listing all the problems with it. If you're so seriously addicted to the internet, just rotate your time between low-budget beach resorts in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. At least that way you won't starve to death.
>>
OP here
I have returned
>>1161763 (wasn't this guy)

Cheers for the answers
>>1161759
This sounds great, but I'd feel like a loser going alone. But I really prefer not travelling with people. Is there anywhere that's more or less good to go solo?
>>
>>1161391
Should I just settle for Hawaii? Or could I island hop around French Polynesia?
>>
>>1162045
>>1162048

I'm >>1161408, etc.

I think a lot depends on your budget. Doing what you describe on a shoestring is well-nigh impossible, but if you have the bucks it's do-able. So, how much $$$$$ are you planning to spend per month, exclusive of transportation to get you to your first destination?
>>
>>1162053
I'll have about $6000 US to blow and I'll stay as long as that can last. I've revised my position of living in a village of sorts and would more just like to stay with locals in their houses (developed areas) Air BnB style if that exists either
>>
>>1162065

US$6000 exclusive of airfare to/from should give you a few months. If I were you I'd start by looking at Fiji and Tonga. If you get outside the developed areas what you're looking to do would probably be feasible. I'd ballpark it at US$50 to US$75/day for very basic accommodation and food -- call it US$1800/month. Boating around to various beaches will cost you US$50/trip (gasoline plus beer for the boat guys) -- limit yourself to a trip a week and your US$6000 will last 3 months.

The Cook Islands, as another anon suggested above, are also a possibility.

Of course, if you can get yourself around by kayaking and camping you'll be able to make your $$$ last a lot longer. Paul Theroux's "The Happy Isles of Oceania" is a good place to start reading. It's a little old now -- it was published in 1992 -- but it describes what you may be trying to do very well, and should give you a lot of ideas for further research.
>>
>>1162074
This is an exceptionally useful post, thank you Anon!
>>
>>1162076

My pleasure -- it's my good deed for the day. I'm glad I was able to give you some help. (Another tip, off the top of my head, is to avoid current/former French territories as these tend to be the most expensive -- that is, if you're looking to make your $ go farther). I'm well versed in Micronesia so can give you more advice on that area if you're willing to move north.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.