[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Europe in winter - Where to go?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

31/M Asiafag here. Cold weather is a rarity in my country, much less the sight of snow. Something about Christmas markets and the landscape covered in white just feels magical.

Hence I'm thinking of a 2 weeks trip to Europe in December - nothing concrete yet but probably visiting Vienna/Prague.

Which other countries would /trv/ recommend I check out that are safe and relatively solo-traveller-friendly?
>>
2 weeks is way too long for only prague or vienna. Anyways out of those two i'd go with prague.
>>
>>1159256
Austria has superb Christmas markets pre- Dec 25th if you're interested.

I was in Filzmoos last year which is a small skiing area and it was fantastic. You'll need a car, though. I'm sure the Scandinavian countries would be great as well.
>>
>>1159287
Sweden, Norway, Finland are great, since you can go through them in the same trip, assuming you have/can rent a car. Otherwise I'd say switzerland. Pretty expensive but magical in the winter
>>
File: 63861963.jpg (1MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
63861963.jpg
1MB, 2272x1704px
>>1159256
Schwarzwald, tons of snow usually
and Vosges, Colmar is nice. Freiburg is nearby too, the whole area is quite nice
>>
>>1159263
Wouldn't just be these 2 places of course. What would you recommend to do in Prague?
>>
>>1159298
Meh never driven in snow before, probably not a good idea to try it in a foreign country. Not sure if its true, but I've heard the Scandinavian countries are pretty boring in the winter other than trying to catch the Northern lights. I'm more of a museums/cafes/nature person, so would a winter trip to these places be a good idea?
>>
>>1159318
Visited Bavaria earlier this year so probably not heading back to Germany for awhile. Schwarzwald does look nice though!
>>
File: YORKK.jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
YORKK.jpg
38KB, 500x333px
Go to Yorkshire
>>
>>1159556
There are museums in those countries like any other and especially Norway is known for their amazing nature.
>>
>>1159558
England did cross my mind a couple of times, but stories of increased hate crimes against foreigners post-Brexit has got me rather wary. Any thoughts about Scotland?
>>
>>1159318
freiburg is cozy as fuck when it snows
>>
>>1159562
When it snows, yes
Last winter there was one week with snow maybe in Freiburg, meanwhile I had one meter of snow in my garden here in the Schwarzwald
>>
>>1159560
we do have quite a lot of nature here. Skiing, snowmobiling, hunting, whale safari, whatever you wanna do bruh.
>>
File: image2875.jpg (616KB, 2405x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image2875.jpg
616KB, 2405x1600px
>>1159256
Just go to the Alps and get snow for certain. You are right to put Austria on your list.
>>
>>1160010
Sounds cool, thanks for the suggestions. Do the short daylight hours and general weather conditions in winter permit such outdoorsy activities?
>>
>>1160063
Salzburg does look nice! How feasible is it to fit Salzburg in a Vienna/Prague trip? Probably not driving so I'd think trains would be the main mode of transport.
>>
>>1159561

Those reports are way overblown, and only really in non-touristy post industrial towns that you wouldn't want to go to anyway

England in general doesn't get much snow though, something to do with us being a small island. English towns do often look very pretty in winter and I even think London looks better in winter. But for traditional "European" winter I'd probably recommend Germany or Denmark more, as Britain in general is more rain and sleet than snow blankets
>>
>>1160119
I would say pretty feasible.
A while back, I went skiing with some friends in Zell Am Zee (a comfy Austrian mountain town) and then went to see Salzburg, great trip. I would definitely reccomends you check Austria and the general alps area out of you're looking for anything winter related. I hear St. Petersburg is P cool too.
>>
In Finland there is pretty much two places to visit, capital Helsinki for the culture and in wintertime Rovaniemi (some 800km north) for nature.

Though everywhere there is snow and romantic little villages but with nothing (esp. if you travel alone) to do so not worth time and money to visit the smaller places. I can guarantee Rovaniemi has snow in december, might not be the case in vienna/prague since they are way south.
>>
>>1160381
There's nothing special about Rovaniemi IMO compared to other tourist spots/ski centres around Lapland, except

1. It's an actual city, but that's not what you're going to Lapland for anyway.

2. The Santa's village thing, but that just seems super plastic and touristy to me.
>>
>>1160244
Ah that's great to hear! I'm surprised England doesn't get much snow, always thought it'd be common in winter. London in winter does sound lovely, but I was thinking of a quick city tour before heading up to Edinburgh, possibly stopping by the Yorkshire Dales along the way. Which English town/city would you say has the best Christmas spirit?
>>
>>1160329
Cool, will consider Salzburg then! Skiing isn't high on my to-do list though, since I've never skied in my life. Russia's a whole separate trip for another time!
>>
>>1160381
>>1160404
Not dissing Finland, but everyone I know who's been there tells me the same thing - there's absolutely nothing to do :/
>>
>>1160468

The Yorkshire Dales are lovely and I imagine a small town in winter could be a nice British wintry experience, so long as you don't mind cold drizzly weather...

It would be hard to say which towns had the best Christmas spirit, but I grew up in Stratford-upon-Avon, which is always nice in winter. It has Christmas lights and a big decorated tree every year. It's near Birmingham, which has a famous German Christmas market every year, although the city itself is a bit of an acquired taste.

Small cities with a lot of old-fashioned character like Oxford or York would have a nice atmosphere, too, and the cities themselves look very nice as well
>>
>>1160381
>In Finland there is pretty much two places to visit, capital Helsinki for the culture and in wintertime Rovaniemi (some 800km north) for nature.
please don't forget Santa Claus. He lives in Rovaniemi.
>>
>>1159256
Avoid Germany. The Christmas market in Nurnberg is nice, sure, but overall the Germans become even more introverted, solitary and unfriendly as soon as the weather goes bad. Which is like 8 months a year.

Not worth it. Stick to big cities with lots of night life and active pedestrian areas.
>>
>>1159256
Prague. Vienna. Krakkow.
Any Baltic capital.
Any German city.
>>
>>1160483
Thanks, will add Oxford/York to the list for consideration! How's the public transport in winter?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.