[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Orlando, Florida. So, after many years of travelling Asia, Europe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

Orlando, Florida.
So, after many years of travelling Asia, Europe and South America, my girlfriend and I have decided to do our first proper tourist holiday.

We are doing 3 weeks in Florida (couple of days in NYC) and basically doing all the theme parks, local attractions, and everything tourists love to do.

Questions.
- Is it better to stay on site at Disney
- Are there any theme parks that are just worth avoiding altogether
- Car rental. Is it worth it. Ive never driven in the US and from what I hear the publish transport on I-Drive would suit us just as well.
- Spending money. We are assuming around $1000 per week for spending money. All hotels, park passes and travel is paid for beforehand.
>>
>>1158937
On-site Disney hotels will be more expensive, because everything at Disney is fucking expensive. A lot of offsite hotels have shuttles that will take you to the parks, look up whether yours does or does not.
Don't know about public transport in Orlando.
>>
Florida is shite, absolute garbage. If you are going to Orlando just stay in Disneyland, no reason to leave.
>>
I prefer to stay off site at Disney, however as I am sure you know, many love to stay there. I am fine with a Holiday Inn on International Blvd. Cheaper, and I normally spend more time away from the actual Disney Parks.

Magic Kingdom- all the classics, not modern or much of a thrill for adults. I think worth going to say you were there.

MGM, love the Tower of Terror, the rest was Okay.

Animal Kingdom- been to a bunch of zoo's and animal parks, so if I had to choose, I would skip this.

Epcot- more interesting than thrilling, so it just depends on what you are looking for.

Both the Universal parks, to me, are better than the Disney ones. Each as at least three or four really good attractions.

Don't forget about the night life at the parks as well, I found that to be fun and would do again.

In down town Orlando I went to an area, I believed it's called Church Street Station, Some pretty cool bars and restaurants, I recommend Howl at the Moon if you make it down there.

If you want to do a road trip, Go over to Tampa and go to Bush Gardens, they have two or three great costers. You can go east to Coco Beach or go visit the Space Center, also good day trips.

Other Orlando options, are a good water park, Ripley's believe it or not, indoor skydiving, haunted house, and others.

Yes, it is all touristy and very commercial. You have to know that and want that going in. That is not to say you can't get away from Orlando and get an air boat ride in the everglades, but the area is designed for tourists.

I have always budgeted for a rental car. Public transportation can be scarce in the U.S.
>>
Stay on international drive. It is the main strip in Orlando. Fairly cheap hotels/motels on it if you look hard enough (check out "the avant". Do not stay on site, it's pants on head retarded from a financial stand point. Dave and busters is fun as well, arcade with a bar. Sea world is pretty amazing, universal as well.
>>
>>1159121

What homeboy said.
>>
>>1158937
Don't miss the KSC, Cape Canaveral is in the neighbourhood and well worth a day's trip; Check if there's a launch scheduled at the time of your stay, wirnessing one IRL is bretty gud

Rentals are cheap and you'll need one if you want to go anywhere

Harry Potter ride in Universal Studios is god tier
>>
>>1158940
Lynx operates the buses. The buses up and down International Drive but check the schedules. Florida's cities are not great on transit.
http://www.golynx.com/
>>
>>1158940
You also might want to read this:

https://orlandotouristinformationbureau.com/transportation/public.htm

There is a commuter train in Orlando also.
>>
File: DSC02468.jpg (815KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02468.jpg
815KB, 1920x1080px
Florida resident who has been to Disney World more times than he can can count.

Most Disney hotels are very expensive; however, there are exceptions. Check out Disney All-Star Resorts. They are on Disney property, but are priced about the same as mid-priced hotels outside the property (I believe it was like $175 per night, which is cheap for Orlando).

I recommend getting a car if you plan on going anywhere other than Disney World property and the airport. Lots of unsightly people use mass transit here. On Disney property, their buses are okay, because they only shuttle guests.

As far as the parks go, definitely go to Epcot during Food and Wine Fest starting later this month. It's in the back half of the park in the World Showcase area, with tons of food and booze kiosks from different countries. You can go drinking around the world! Also, there are all-year drinkie places, like the Tequila Bar inside the Mexico pavilion.

As far as other parks to visit, a good rule of thumb is whether you have heard of it. If you have, it's a good one. Most Orlando attractions without an international reach don't have that draw-dropping factor that the big ones like Disney and Universal Studios parks have. That doesn't mean that the little parks suck, it just means they are not as special as normal parks you might find near your own home.

Also, you could live on $1,000 a day; you just can't go crazy and have dinner inside Cinderella's Castle each night (yeah, there's a restaurant in there). Speaking of, my favorite restaurant inside Magic Kingdom (where the castle is), is Tony's (Lady and the Tramp restaurant). It's nice, and not as fussy or as difficult to get in as the castle (I believe for Cinderella's Royal Table, you need to reserve like 3 months in advance and put down a $100 deposit). Elsewhere in the park, try Casey's Corner for a barbecue slaw dog (hot dog + barbecue park and coleslaw on top) or the Sleepy Hollow Inn for a spicy chicken and waffle sandwich (pictured).
>>
File: DSC09159.jpg (836KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC09159.jpg
836KB, 1920x1080px
>>1158942
>Florida is shite, absolute garbage.

Yeah, because the entire state of Florida is exactly like the crappy city of Orlando, just like all of New York state is just like New York City, right?

Also, pic related is in Homosassa Springs, just one of many examples of how crappy Florida is, like you were saying.
>>
>>1158937
Disney resorts will pick you up from the airport, not just shuttle you to the parks. So, that might save you the rental car entirely. At the moment, the flooded people in Louisiana are putting a crunch on the rental cars in the US, believe it or not.

I don't stay in disney resorts as a rule, just use my own car as a floridian, and find the cheaper newest thing I can in town. But, I will admit that it's nice to get in an hour early, and go back so easily to your hotel in the afternoon heat, put your feet up, have a nap and a meal outside the park, and then go back for evening cooler stuff, and then the fireworks closer. Bonus of a rental car is saving money on at least one of your meals for the day, having a cooler, some snacks from the groceries, etc. I'm a sucker for February Disney though. And, the garden festival at EPCOT is gorgeous flowers everywhere, topiary trees all disneyfied character shapes.

I prefer Universal and Sea World. Go look up all the park exhibits and don't be so sold on only doing one thing. The cope is nice as another said. I also like some of the cold springs around central and northern florida.
>>
File: image.gif (997KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
997KB, 500x373px
Lived on the north edge of Orlando for 5 years (Altamonte Springs), moved away 8 years ago, and went back last month for the first time for a week. Like many others here said, there are plenty of nice hotels just outside of Disney World, and virtually all will shuttle you over to the parks. Downtown Orlando fucking sucks during the day now, it used to be cool but now it's all homeless people and swarms of gay priders. Not sure about how the nightlife downtown is now.... it used to be fantastic. But you're never more than a couple blocks from unsavory people so don't bother.

I-Drive is excessively touristy and overrun with fat families and there are lines out the door for everything. Go over to the Dr. Phillips area for the cool restaurants, it's like 5-10 min from the heart of I-Drive. I highly recommend Moonfish and Eddie V's, and the Corona Cigar Bar for a nice relaxing smoke. Also, some magnificent restaurants in the oasis of Winter Park (Park Ave), don't miss that.

Favorite parks in order: Islands of Adventure, Universal, Magic Kingdom, Epcot (food & wine festival for sure like the other person said), Animal Kingdom if you have kids, and Sea World.

Again, I can't speak of the "party scene" at night if that's what you're looking for... but there will be plenty to do. And don't rent a car, just take Uber around if you're not using a shuttle to the parks. The driving situation and the roads are fucking horrendous. Unless you want some proper beach experience one day, then rent one and drive to New Smyrna Beach, it's only 45-60 min away.
>>
Red Hot Chili Peppers hot hot
>>
>>1158937
absolutely stay offsite. they have houses you can stay in for cheap af that are minutes from the disney attractions. i did this last week (had a staycation) and the neighborhood we stayed in just rents to visiting families. it was damn nice, and we saved a lot of money.
>>
>>1159462
Hey,if you're going to put up a wrestling picture put up one from Championship wrestling from Florida. Dusty,Kevin Sullivan,The Funks,etc.
>>
>>1158937
I work at a hotel in Orlando and get to talk to guest everyday and what im telling you is based off of what the guest's tell me

>Is it better to stay on site at Disney
More expensive but yeah, another alternative would be stay on site at universal
- Are there any theme parks that are just worth avoiding altogether
Epcot seems like a 50/50 split of i hate it or i love it, probably do research and see if its for you
- Car rental. Is it worth it. Ive never driven in the US and from what I hear the publish transport on I-Drive would suit us just as well.
This is where staying on site at disney/universal comes into play but if you stay anywhere else even idrive i would recommend a car because Orlando public transportation is complete shit
- Spending money. We are assuming around $1000 per week for spending money. All hotels, park passes and travel is paid for beforehand.
Obviously depends on what you are trying to do, 1 good way to save money is to make a trip to the grocery store and get a bunch of stuff for the hotel room
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.