[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Washington DC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

Planning a post-college semester trip for mid-December before Christmas and looking for suggestions/tips! I'm planning on at least going for 3-4 days depending on the price of where I stay.

I've been looking at hotels and even hostels and I'm wondering which do you think would be the better deal? Hostels are cheaper and I'm used to room sharing on trips to conventions but is it worth it just for the saved money since I'm traveling alone and can't share a dorm with friends?

I'm also looking for suggestions for things to do and places to eat!
I got a recommendation for Adams Morgan for Korean/Japanese food and to outright avoid Chinatown by someone else.
I'm going to the Zoo and as many Smithsonian museums as I can but I'd like to do some non-touristy stuff as well and possibly do some Christmas shopping while I'm there for stuff I can't find in chain stores or even from the IKEA (never been to one!) if it's worth it.
>>
>>1158645
Don't avoid Chinatown; it's worth the stop.

What sort of places to eat are you looking for Keep in mind DC is an expensive city, and some restaurants ruin a thriving business out of helping fundraise. Some are actually favorites of certain political figures.
>>
File: red wheetus braindead.jpg (221KB, 1200x1662px) Image search: [Google]
red wheetus braindead.jpg
221KB, 1200x1662px
Play "You Might Think" by the cars on your phone while carrying a spray of fake cherry blossoms around, occasionally stumble. pretend to be deaf in your left ear. Drink nasty looking wheat grass juice.

Feel superior when nobody gets the reference.
>>
>>1158648
Yeah? From what little I had been told it hadn't been worth it but I might go anyway just to see.

I'm looking for basically things I can't get in the lower less-international states. All I've got here are chain restaurants, southern food, and generic Chinese takeout. I've already been recommended a Korean place and two ramen spots so anything else that's international, I'm up to trying anything as long as it's not insanely expensive. No point in going somewhere fancy/pricey by myself.
>>
>>1158674
* lower east less-international states, I mean.
>>
Go to Dr. Clock's Nowhere Bar in Adams Morgan. Best dive bar ever.
>>
>>1158674
If you are from the South East, let me forewarn you, the weather May be rough on you in December, and you probably don't have the wardrobe for it.
>>
>>1158692
For the most part I plan on staying inside where it's warm and only going out to get to one place to another. I'm definitely going to layer and take my heavy winter coat though. I'm used to lows of 20F here on the worst days if that helps any.

>>1158690
I would check out some bars/pubs but I can't drink, sadly. I'm over 21 but alcohol tends to give me a major headache no matter how little I drink and I'd rather not spend my trip in bed. I'm all for virgin drinks though!
>>
File: 1306469010123.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1306469010123.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
>>1158674
For Chinatown, there's a decent Chinese/Japanese place called Wok and Roll. Also has karokee rooms, but you're alone, so... eh. Still, decent food.

And alrighty: your needs cut away at a number of my recommendations (mainly because I fancy the more expensive stuff, particularly places that sees traffic in VIPs/congressmen/staffers/lobbyists/etc).

Still though, I can think of a few places mainly on the east side of town near where I went to school...

The Tombs at 1226 36th St NW. Basically THE hangout/drinking place for Georgetown Univeristy students. Classic Americana food.

Kafe Leopold on 3315 Cady's Alley NW (small alley off of M St). German/Austrian inspired. Excellent European-style waffles for breakfast.

Bodega on 3116 M St NW. Spanish, lots of tapas. Good if you have Spanish/Latino friends, kinda boring if alone though.

Moby Dick House of Kebab on 1070 31st St NW. Cheap Middle Eastern chain (DC only though), but the food will not fail you.

Farmers Fishers Bakers at 3000 K St NW, right in front of the Georgetown Waterfront. Great seafood, strong contender in the bottomless brunches in the city.

Founding Farmers on 1924 Pennsylvania Ave NW. A favorite for breakfast/brunch for a lot of people who work in nearby offices, usually World Bank and IMF people, amongst others. Try to get a reservation to beat the morning rush.

Le Diplomate on 1601 14th Street NW. Authentic French, favorite of the Obamas and Democratic staffers. Slightly more expensive, but worth it.

Zorba's Cafe on 1612 20th St NW. Authentic Greek/Mediterranean. Quite good.

Agora on 1527 17th St NW. Lebanese/Turkish/Middle Eastern. Quite good. Strong contender for the bottomless brunch deal (including drinks), but that costs $35.

Sushi Para on 4221 Connecticut Ave NW. A bit farther away, but get this: $20 all you can eat sushi.

...and now I realize how much I miss DC. Though maybe not the prices.
>>
>>1158705
>east side of town

Derp, I meant west. Apologies.
>>
>>1158705
Holy crap anon, you are fantastic! I'm definitely going to visit some of these even though I'm sure I won't make it to all of them. I'll see what lines up within walking distance of some places I want to see or what I can find of interest nearby the more tempting places. Strongly leaning towards that Moby Dick place. With a name like that I can't resist checking it out.
>>
the best thing about DC is that so much of the shit is free

skip the holocaust museum unless you want to witness a bunch of people crying about something that they have no connection to whatsoever

the Ethiopian food in DC is very good

and the dim sum is pretty good depending on where you're from if you're into chink cuisine
>>
>>1158711
Yes to dim sum because I've never had it, and I planned on going to stuff like the Postal Museum, Natural History, National Geographic, the Zoo, etc.
>>
File: 1312503753173.jpg (72KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
1312503753173.jpg
72KB, 400x310px
>>1158709
You're welcome. I grew up and went to college in the area, so I had plenty of time to eat around.

Moby Dick is small; fast food really. But great if you want cheap kebabs made with their special seasoning. I suggest the Kabob-E Joojeh. It's basically a plate with rice with cheese on top, 2 small fried tomatoes, and several chunks of marinated boneless chicken breast.

I remember this distinctively because it's the last thing I got from there last year right before I graduated and took up a post in the Balkans. These days though, I would kill for a stack of American-style pancakes. I really miss IHOP...
>>
>>1158726
I never thought it was possible to miss IHOP. I weep for you my friend, I hope you get pancakes someday soon!

I definitely do love kebabs though so I'll try the Kabob-E Joojeh when I go since that all sounds simple and delicious which is how I like my food.
>>
>>1158706
Mofo, that's how you get people shot
>almost sending OP into the ghetto
>>
File: soon....png (44KB, 1320x1020px) Image search: [Google]
soon....png
44KB, 1320x1020px
>>1158738
Well, I gave exact addresses, so he wouldn't fuck it up.

And just give it a few more years for the yuppies and hipsters to gentrify the rest of the city.
>>
>>1158738
yeah, as the map shows, NE has gotten a lot better. It's mostly SE you still have to be concerned about, and really only at night for the most part, unless you have zero street smarts
>>
>>1158645
I would think airbnb would be the best way to go in D.C. with the multitude of condos, esp with college kids home for the holidays, or you pick the larger hotels, such as in Crystal City, and look for a half price room deal on the bidding websites (they have rooms to move). They're on the metro.

DC/VA/MD shopping is great. If it exists, there's a flagship store there, and within their chains will be some of the boutique departments with items that only exist in Miami, NYC, and no where else.

Skippable is Chinatown and Adams Morgan, in my opinion. Vietnamese is more of a draw than chinese in this town. Do all of the Smithsonians (zoo is skippable if you have a nice one in your home city), and don't forget two popular paid museums, Spy and Newseum. National park things to do like walking along the towpath in Georgetown and going into the little house. There's a tuesday tour with tea in the Cathedral. Use washingtonian magazine and Post websites for every kind of reviews, or to figure out interest exhibits that are temporary. Cheap eats can be had all over, as well as pricey. Look at top ten lists by neighborhood, and explore the distinct neighborhoods. IKEA is fun, make sure to hit up the grocery items and cafe.

One thing touristic you might partake is a segway tour or bike tour, or bus tour, so you can see a lot of ground in a shorter amount of time.
>>
>>1158709
listen mate, I agree with most of this food but you have to try cactus cantina, it was GW bush's fav place for mex.

when you are feeling brave in an evening go to Horace and dickie's after wetting your whistle at biergarten haus, but keep in mind this is a roughish neighborhood.

don't forget to stop by georgetown
>>
>>1158709
oh yea and for breakfast go to Orignal house of pancakes in Bethesda, not the rockville one, and get something but make sure you get pumpkin pancakes with whipped cream. Don't forget the whipped cream
>>
Touristfag/DC virgin here, landing mid October for 3 nights. I'm keen to try authentic soul/southern cooking in the evening and diners / delis for breakfast and lunch. Also, I'm a big fan of electric blues, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I am staying near Union Station.
>>
File: 1473111425959.jpg (754KB, 1800x1175px) Image search: [Google]
1473111425959.jpg
754KB, 1800x1175px
>>1158769
>Skippable is Chinatown and Adams Morgan

Both are must sees in my opinion, so fucking you. Zoo is great as well
>>
>>1158769
I do agree with the Smithsonians/National Mall, though
>>
Also, is Tanger Outlet National Harbour any good? Just want some decent polos & jeans (American brands ie Tommy / Polo Sport) are retardedly pricy in my country.

One last question - I want to do some shooting, in spite of DC's restrictive laws, can anyone comment on Maryland Small Arms Range? It's close to Tanger Outlet so I'll try & do two birds with one stone as the saying goes.
>>
>>1158816
Go to Potomac Mills Mall, rather than Tangers. Fuck it, check out both.
>>
>>1158769
Adams Morgan is not skippable. It's an awesome part of DC.
>>
>>1158800
>feeling brave
>is fem and traveling alone
I'll pass on that, mate. I might stop by Cactus Cantina though, depends on how much I do since Mexican food isn't one of my faves but I do eat it.

>>1158769
I didn't even think of AirBnB because I haven't stayed at anything not a hotel/motel before. I had thought the hostel since really all I need is a place to sleep/shower before I head out again to see and do as much as possible. I'd be going for a 4-person room though because 10-person sounds a little too crazy.

I definitely do want to see the Spy Museum and the IKEA since it's a bit of a mythical place for me. I'd heard tale of it but never been in one.
>>
>>1158645
Me and the wife went to DC over the summer for a weekend. We stayed in gaithersberg and took a 40 minute metro ride into the city. Didn't really feel like driving in the city and the hotel was a bit cheaper
>>
>>1158816
>Tanger Outlet National Harbour any good
Go to their website and view the store listing. I will say that Potomac Mills has a lot of inventory when I shop the usually picked over stores like Burlington, but to each their own. I really like Tyson's Corner desu. I think normal sales at major stores are just as good as the lower merchandise that is made exclusively for a store's outlet.

>>1158801
>for breakfast go to Orignal house of pancakes
Uhh no. There are real diners everywhere. There are just too many other better breakfast choices of every type. Seriously. DC is a foodie town.

>>1158806
>try authentic soul/southern cooking in the evening and diners / delis for breakfast and lunch.
Virginia is in the"South" technically. Look at farm to table too, and not just soul or southern.
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/washington-dc/best-southern-food-in-dc-washington-dc-soul-food
I like Southside 815 in Alexandria, just addicted to their sweet potato biscuits and hot pepper jam during brunch. But there are a dozen choices in every neighborhood.
Here's your blues source:
http://www.dcblues.org/
>>
>>1159022
come to bethesda to the house of pancakes and I will treat you
>>
>>1158893

Thanks for the suggestion

>>1159053

Legend, that is really helpful. I'll likely stick to Tangers as it's close to the gun range I intend to visit.
>>
>>1158750
Skip Anacosta. The wrestler Batista lived there when young and found three dead bodies on his front yard. At different times.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.