[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan Solo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Kinda new to 4chan and I need some advice from /trv/.
I'm planning to do a solo trip to Japan next summer before I go full zombie mode at my new uni and I need a heads up from those who have done solo traveling or have gone to Japan. I'm planning to go to Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo. What advice can you give to a 20 year old who just wants to explore a new place.
>>
>>1155921
You're lost without a basic level of Japanese outside the cities. If you stay in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo there really is nothing special to say other than enjoy your time and don't underestimate how expensive everything is.
>>
>>1155948
>You're lost without a basic level of Japanese outside the cities
>winging it someplace where you don't know the language isn't half the fun of traveling
>>
Everything is really expensive here. Also I'd recommend just wandering around if you have the time, that's what I usually do on days off
>>
>>1155921
>>1155921
I'm heading there in November and I was wondering how to get around. I'm looking into the Japan Rail Pass but I'm unsure how it works. Does that pass count to get me around Tokyo, then get to Osaka and Hiroshima?

Do you need to get any shots?

I'm thinking about staying in Shinjuku because it's close to the Yamanote Line the is the central hub to get you everywhere.

How's the language barrier?
>>
>>1157008
You should be able to get by even if you only know basic Japanese because most people know at least a little bit of English. I don't know about civilians but I had to get a JEV and typhoid shot before coming here because uncle Sam can't have his sailors dying can he?
I haven't gone too far but I think the jr pass is good for going just about anywhere.
>>
>>1157008
the railpass is amazing for going from town to town, and you can use the yamanote-line in tokyo which brings you to most places. You just need to show the pass at the station gates and you may pass.
>>
I'm also going to Japan in November-December, and have a few questions.

So, I want to go to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and another city in the time span of one month. Would it be cheaper/better to take a one-way flight from Tokyo to Osaka and spend two weeks in Osaka and the surrounding areas, before coming back to Tokyo for the last week? If not, then I'll be going with the JR Pass that lasts one week, and use it to get to Osaka and travel the nearby cities then come back to Tokyo on the 6th day.

Also, would it be cheaper/better if I go with Airbnb, or just stay at different hotels?
>>
>>1157008
Get the pass, I had buddies come to visit me over here and they saved a fortune in trains. If you're Australian, food and drink are cheaper over here than back home everything else is probably the same. Language barrier is non-existant in Tokyo, Kyoto, if you go to the sticks though it's more pronounced.

Can't help with planning travel because that's what I'm doing myself before I come back for university in December and I need ideas myself .
>>
>>1157008
Also no shots needed. Japan is actually one of the most disease free countries iirc.
>>
The language barrier and "japan is expensive lol" seems just a meme to me. The only thing that is more pricey that western countries are shinkansens, and even that not so much with the jr pass. If you're not full aspie, communication is not a problem.
Japan is amazing and a easy place to travel if you plan a little, enjoy your trip
>>
>>1158445
There is a very important shot you need if you're going to be working on the farms or spending significant time in an inaka.
>>
>>1158483
Do you mean Japanese Encephalitis?
Vaccination recommended by the CDC for extended visits to rural areas during the transmission season.
>>
>>1158443
I'm not super experienced on this front, but when I was over there I took an overnight bus and I'd imagine that's a lot cheaper than a plane. Japan's not all that large, so you can pretty much go from corner to corner while sleeping on a bus. I think they're typically going to be cheaper than 10000 yen (on the high end) and it gets you pretty far.

In addition, you save money on a place to stay for the night.
>>
>>1155921
I went to japan (solo trip) for 2 weeks last june, if you are interested in how to live without spending too much money i'm glad to answer
>>
>>1158580
Did you stay in a infamous hostel while there? How much did you take with you? What did you do for fun other than take pictures? Do you know any japanese at all? Did you use a credit card for most of your purchases? What souvenirs if any, did you bring back?
>>
>>1158447
Japan is expensive compared to America, y'know, because they pay their waitstaff decently like everywhere else in the world that isn't the flagship model of corporate slavery
>>
>>1159058
>they pay their waitstaff decently like everywhere else in the world

Wow. You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
>>
Also

>>corporate slavery
>>not in Japan

Confirmed for mouth-breathing idiot.
>>
>>1159058
It is not expensive compared to America. Trains are expensive, electronics are expensive, bars are expensive, shibuya is expensive. Restaurants are cheap I had a lovely meal in an indian restaurant near iidabashi for 1000yen.
My wife and I regularly stuff ourselves at the best ramen shop in town (not Tokyo, a little town north of it) for 1400yen total. I rent a large apartment for 55000yen a month.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.