[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good states to move to in the US? I live in oklahoma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

File: Map-USA-Regions02.png (2MB, 2506x2600px) Image search: [Google]
Map-USA-Regions02.png
2MB, 2506x2600px
What are some good states to move to in the US?

I live in oklahoma and I hate it here more each day.
>>
>>1154827
North carolina, virginia and new york are pretty nice if you want to live in a medium to large city. Norcal, oregon and tennessee if you want to live rural
>>
Warm or cold? Dry or humid? Pro-gun or anti-gun? Pro-pot or anti-pot? Urban or rural? Do you need mountains, coastline, or lakes? Do you have an arbitrary preference of east or west?

Answer these questions and I may be able to help you.
>>
File: Carolina_News_Owned_1.jpg (45KB, 638x463px) Image search: [Google]
Carolina_News_Owned_1.jpg
45KB, 638x463px
>>1154830
>North carolina
Nope, we're full, sorry.
>>
>>1154830
I was going to say NC, as well
>>
>>1154861
This.

What climate do you prefer?
What are your politics?
City or rural?
How much money do you have?
>>
>>1154827
I've lived in 7 out of 10 of those regions. Each has good and bad, you have to answer them questions.

(Well, the yellow is the bottom of my list for most things.)
>>
>>1155008
There are 12 regions you fucking idiot.
>>
>>1154861
Not OP but I'm on the same boat because I really dislike Florida. I'd prefer somewhere where it is mostly cold and not sunny year round. Humidity doesn't bother me (I suppose I'm used to it). I'd prefer pro-pot. And if its possible a good balance of urban and rural. Like I want to live in a medium sized city, or at least I need a city with a big variety of art and food and unique things to do, yet within the distance lots of land, mountains and lakes to explore. I don't need the beach. I slight preference to the west coast, but its not necessary. Thank you if you can help me, anon
>>
>>1155019
Pacific northwest is calling your name. Mild, temperate, wet climate, beautiful summers, legal marijuana, nice midsize cities in Portland/Seattle, great /out/ opportunities to the east and west.
>>
>>1155031
I think you're right anon! I'll start looking into that area, thank you
>>
File: blue crab.jpg (140KB, 632x395px) Image search: [Google]
blue crab.jpg
140KB, 632x395px
>>1154827
Virginia
>>
>>1154827
Strange to say I liked central Missouri when I lived there. Four seasons, nice and green, not crowded, and enough forest and farms to have a lot of wildlife.
>>
>>1155017
OP wanted to live in the USA, not half-Japan or get eaten by a bear.
>>
>>1155019
>>1155031
Yes sounds right. Inland PNW or Colorado, say Colorado Springs or something would be much cheaper than Seattle or Portland.
>>
>>1155088
Colordo will also have much colder winters because it's farther inland and the elevation.
>>
File: 20151230_101358.jpg (173KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20151230_101358.jpg
173KB, 1600x900px
>>1154861
OP here,
really open to anything. Honestly just want to get a bit of land to raise dogs and do stupid shit on, or live in a modest apartment/house in a decent town

I'd really like rainy climate with some nice woods somewhere. I loved delaware and maryland when I visited, so those are definitely on my list, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're "fuck off we're full" status

I guess somewhere easy living with as little bullshit as possible
>>
>>1154827
how is Maine/New Hampshire?
>>
>>1155019
Asheville, NC
>>
>>1155171
>Rainy Climate

PNW . Portland Oregon. You only get "fuck off we're full" status if you're from California
>>
>>1154827

>I would choose somewhere in the middle
>cause when SHTF you are somewhat safe

>believe me it will in the near future

>good luck my friend
>>
Western Washington really is a great place if you can stand the almost year long rain. High wages and high standard of living.
>>
Nearly lifelong TXfag here. Lived in FL for few years. My gf and I are looking to relocate. Curious about the northwest region, anyone got advice?
>>
>>1155171
If you're not concerned with big cities and just want some beautiful land to call your own, I would consider the Midwest. It's beautiful, friendly, and there's a few cities for when you need them.Maybe live within a days drive of Missoula Montana for a hip fun town for when you need it or within a days drive of the North or South Dakota badlands. All very beautiful and friendly areas.
>>
>>1155019
Has someone else from Flat Fucking Florida, Colorado is truly a love affair and seems to match everything you're seeking.

That said, Florida has good cities and bad cities, maybe you just need to move a few hours away. Where in Florida do you live?
>>
>>1154827
if you have a good degree, move to des moines, ia. there's a lot of stuff going on downtown, plus you get winters and summers so the best of both worlds.
>>
>>1155171

I worked in OK for 10 months just recently. Sheesh. I'm from WA, made me long for the rain. You might consider the eastern slopes of the Cascades. Ellensburg, Bend. Bellingham is great, a little gem in Whatcom County.

What sort of work are you in?
>>
>>1155780
Iowa is way to cold dude
>>
>>1154827

Texas is pretty much the same as Oklahoma but better in every way, give that a try.
>>
>>1154827
Dark pink: crabs and women with crabs
Yellow: greasy wop dagos and pollution
Light purple: crystal meth and NASCAR
light blue: niggers and snow
Light pink: meth, NASCAR, old people and alligators
Yellow: literally nothing of note
Grey-blue: guns and spics
Green: also nothing of note, but with more DUDE WEED LMAO
orange: spics, gashuffers, and rattlesnakes
Red: communist faggot redditors
Dark purple: literally the only worthwhile part of the US
>>
>>1155779
I've lived in Florida my whole life and I like it, but I just visited family who live near Asheville and I decidedI have to move here. It really is Colorado East with all the beauty and ouutdoor shit. Who cares about weed, you can still smoke everyday even though it's illegal. And you're close enough to reasonably drive back to Florida or South Carolina for the beaches. Summers are too perfect and the mountains are too pretty and fun to not live up here. Fuck spending another summer in the Deep South, it's actually pleasant being outside up in the mountains in August.

Sorry NC bros, half my family moved up here from Florida. We aren't yuppies, just middle class white people who aren't racist but want to live in the United States, not Latin America and love all the outdoor stuff and the weather up here. They fit in up here, they aren't trying to take anyone's guns away or anything and buy produce and meat from local farmers.
>>
>>1155932
>complains about commies
>likes PNW
>>
>>1154941
The "we're full" meme is getting tired, especially used with somewhere like NC... maybe a city like Asheville is a bit crowded but if you think NC is bad you haven't seen real overpopulation
>>1155171
For you I would recommend New England, there's lots of spaces like that in The Shire (NH) and VT which are a beautiful pair of states.
>>1155019
Everyone is telling you PNW and it's great but I want to bring some other points into your vision. Colorado Springs as someone said is very nice and obviously you've got mountains galore anywhere in the state. Boulder is just outside of Denver, a very hip town, and it has probably the hottest girls in the state. I also heard Colorado is close to getting single payer health-care soon if you're into that. Weed obviously legal.
Vermont is beautiful with the Green Mountains, and White Mountains right next door in NH, but not terribly urban. Some of the nicest people I've met through the country I've met there though. Medical Marijuana legal.
New Mexico is my favorite state in the union. The friendliest state I've been to. Beautiful little mountain ranges everywhere. Albuquerque is a nice city and Santa Fe's art galleries are second in the nation only to NYC. Santa Fe is very cool but expensive however there is a train between Santa Fe and Albuquerque that's like two bucks. I admit, NM has probably the worst meth problem in the country, but the cities are still safe. Spanish is spoken a lot in NM. Lots of Hispanic pride. Medical Marijuana legal, hemp legal.
>>
Noticing a trend with Florida people who want to move away somewhere with mountains and seasons. I'm in the exact same boat. Take my negativity with a grain of salt as I'm very enthusiastic to get out of here, but haven't been able to do so because reasons.

>Live in west palm beach, florida
>so flat that we don't even have hills
>there is only one type of tree: pine tree
>roads are one-lane grids clogged with retired boomers driving slowly for no reason
>summer lasts 9 months and is sweaty and humid
>our water smells bad
>everything smells bad

Of course, on the other hand...

>december through february is fucking amazing, best weather you'll ever experience, you can actually breathe without drowning
>our loxahatchee rednecks are actually somewhat respectable human beings, despite bad taste in camo jackets and oversized trucks
>publix everywhere
>the beach is nice

It could be worse but i'm ready to move
>>
>>1156146
>The "we're full" meme is getting tired, especially used with somewhere like NC... maybe a city like Asheville is a bit crowded but if you think NC is bad you haven't seen real overpopulation

You have to understand, to a native that has never left NC it would feel full. When they see the traffic in Wilmington and Raleigh amd how much it has grown in the last decade or 2. Where once in the Triangle, Cary was jokingly called "Containment Areas for Relocated Yankees" too now it see it seems they have taken over the area, turning it in to North Virginia lite. When It's typically the conservatives that move here from the North, which is a different brand of conservatism than NC has, and they help change the face of legislature, and thus the face of our state. Probably for decades, due to gerrymandering after they got into power.
>>
>>1156685
I know a lot of Florida transplants from the NE move to NC. They are called "half-backs"
>>
File: Screenshot_20160831-072848.jpg (654KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160831-072848.jpg
654KB, 1440x2560px
>>1155974
>Sorry NC bros, half my family moved up here from Florida. We aren't yuppies, just middle class white people who aren't racist but want to live in the United States

It's actually ultra conservative transplants fucking up NC. NCs brand of conservatism is more along the lines of, "don't fuck with me, I won't fuck with you" . A live and let live type thing.

At the state level we'd typically vote Blue Dog Democrat, and Republican at the Federal level. Our Democrats were basically moderate Republicans. So if our Democrats were conservative, how much more extreme do You think our Republicans are? A lot of transplants not knowing or understanding this dynamic voted a lot of wackos into the office last election cycle, which is behind a lot of the crazy political stories coming out of ND the last 4 years.
>>
>>1154941
From one North Carolinian to another, fuck right off. We're definitely not full. Such a shitty attitude
>>
>>1156790
>wanting our nature further spoiled and our cities further crowded
>>
>>1156790
desu, I find most people with the "we're full" mentality are mostly transpalnts themselves with the "close the door behind me" syndrome.

This is followed by people, like in the Triangle, who are greatly effected by transplants, who move down here to get away from something back home, but then proceed to change the flavor of the area to like it was back home.
>>
>>1156773
Huh. I wonder why that is. Maybe they settle on a middle ground because the far north isn't as nice as they thought it would be. Either way I heard NC is nice so maybe one day I'll end up calling myself a half-back.
>>
Greenville, SC is a pretty nice place to live. Not a huge city, but big enough to have plenty to do while also having loads of land around it. Only thing is the humidity is dicks down here about now.
>>
>>1156851
You have it backwards. They start life in the NorthEast, move to Florida, then half-back to NC.

Reasons cited is that Florida is too far from family still in the NorthEast and Florida is not what they thought it would be, or not what it was when they first moved there.
>>
>>1155173
I've lived in both and would live in both at the same time if I could.
>>
>>1156878
That makes way more sense.
>>
>>1154827
Tulsa here. What shit hole town are you in that makes you want to leave? Pro tip: Every state has shit holes
>>
>>1157517
I grew up in Tulsa but I currently live in Kansas City.

Most people I know seem to judge their success in life by how far they were able to get from this general area post-high school. I did better than most, but Missouri isn't too different from Oklahoma desu.
>>
>>1154949
Only someone from 4chan would recommend NC as a place to live without being ironic. I should have expected this.
>>
>>1157530
NC is one of the the fastest growing states, population wise in the country. The NC board on the City-Data relocation forums is the most active board, reflecting ghe the interest in the state.

Instead of ad hominem arguments, what are your points against NC?
>>
>>1157529
I moved here from Dallas. I love the size of it and the cost of living, now if we can just get some modern liquor laws approved...
>>
>>1157563
Maybe hes confusing it with "south carolina" the difference between the two is like the difference between north and south korea
>>
>>1155019
Spokane, WA
>>
>>1157737
this
>>
File: 1473111425959.jpg (754KB, 1800x1175px) Image search: [Google]
1473111425959.jpg
754KB, 1800x1175px
>>1158824
He could be an NC native enacting rule 1
>>
Can someone help me find a place that fits me. I want a small house away from the cities, preferably in the woods. I love the rain and the cold, but I don't want it snowing year round. I also don't want to live in a town with a lot of people.
>>
Where would you guys recommend for someone who wants:

>nice long warm summers
>live by a large body of water
>city of 350,000+
>easy access to airport with international routes
>middle of the range rent costs,
>pro weed
>friendly people and good food

I liked providence but it was too small and I liked Philadelphia but the whole notorious for gun crime makes me a bit uncomfortable as as a european.

New York was alright for a holiday but wasn't really somewhere I could see myself living
>>
>>1160583
>city of 350,000+
>middle of the range rent costs
Nyeah
>>
File: The local lake.jpg (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
The local lake.jpg
2MB, 2000x2000px
>>1154861
Ooh, I'd like a go at this. I was raised in California and moved to Nevada with my parents. If I'm to get out in the world on my own, I certainly don't want to establish myself in this dustbowl. California was great, but quite expensive (at least compared to here). My arbitrary preference would be the west, because I have never set foot in an eastern state. I'd prefer it warm (or at least not cold), and definitely not dry. I have a slight draw to pro-pot and pro-guns, but in the grand scheme of things I don't really care. I would love some great hiking trails, especially if they have interesting wildlife to photograph. I like the amenities of living near an urban area, but I wouldn't want to live in one. Fuck neighbors. The dream is to have a couple of wooded acres in the middle of nowhere, with a big city an hour away.
>>
>>1160601
oregon

>middle of nowhere
>big city an hour away
lol, keep dreaming. though i guess it depends on your definition of a 'big city'

however, it's not impossible. 'few wooded acres with a big city an hour away' is much more easily attainable in the east: states like kentucky, tennessee, and missouri all have dense woodlands and available land surrounding cities like nashville, memphis, louisville, lexington, and st louis
>>
>>1160583
portland oregon? its weed friendly, lots of water, big airport
>>
>>1157737
not really upstate SC is better than most of NC
>>
>>1162051
Nope, largest city in that region is Greenville and is wholly unremarkable, though decent, ad it's downhill from there. The area around Charlotte is better, though that's arguably from working in Charlotte, NC, but living in SC with the lower taxes. Like Northern Virginia is better/cheaper than DC, but it's DC money that makes Northern Virginia.
>>
>>1162064
It's way cheaper and it's better to live rural anyway
>>
>>1155056
Why
>>
File: Petrified-Bodies-in-Pompeii.jpg (244KB, 1135x600px) Image search: [Google]
Petrified-Bodies-in-Pompeii.jpg
244KB, 1135x600px
>>1160683
>portland oregon

But someday...
>>
>>1162070
>It's way cheaper

You get what you pay for, though.

>and it's better to live rural anyway

Can be, if that's what you like. For you, great, glad you like it. Other people would not, to each his own.
>>
>>1162051
U fucking wot? I lived there for years its a hellhole. like detroit but with white people.
>>1162070
If i lived anywhere rural it wouldnt be the upstate lmao even north Georgia has is beat by a mile
>>
>>1162070
If youre married maybe. If your single it sucks because you are surrounded by old people, ugly women and fat people. Also its cheaper because no jobs
>>
Cool story, bro time:

A few years ago, my Dad was offered a 6-figure job in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area, but after traveling there to check out the area, he declined the job offer.

I guess if you live in Oklahoma and move anywhere else, it will probably be an improvement.
>>
>>1155173
Mainefag here

It's fucking cold, don't bother living below Portland, because there isn't shit above Portland. Personally I opened your thread to get suggestions on where the fuck to move. Also NH a shit, they don't wear seat belts and they're practically landlocked

That being said it's pretty
>>
>>1160583
Milwaukee fits all of those except your long summers. But despite its reputation as being a frozen city, mid may-september is consistently 80-85+ and mostly sunny. April and october, depending on the year, are also very nice (think 50s-60s, which is my ideal temp). On lake michigan, numerous universities (young people and a lot of beautiful single women), gun-friendly, not exactly pot-friendly but it's still everywhere. Nice airport. Close to chicago. Great food and bar scene. Midwestern friendliness. Plenty of parks and a short drive out to rural areas. Pop.~650,000. Despite what you've seen in the news lately, generally pretty safe so long as you stay out of the cesspool that is the northside (roughly a sqaure of 3x2 miles, so not a huge portion of the city)
>>
>>1162346
Oh, and comparatively it is very cheap to live here.
>>1162345
Portland, Maine is somewhere I've been thinking of moving to for some time (once I gradute college). How is the city itself? Also interested in Burlington, VT
>>
>>1162051
>upstate sc
>better than anywhere
lol
>>
A L A B A M A
L
A
B
A
M
A
>>
>>1154830
Masshole here telling you that realistically we are the best rounded state in the union.

If you're more metropolitan, Boston is a fine and clean city full of culture, and a decent nightlife. A similar melting pot like NYC, but on a smaller scale.

If you're more of a rural person, drive 2.5-3 hours and you are out in the middle of nowhere, with plenty of varying population densities in between.

We have beaches and mountains
We have great schools, and hospitals
We are pretty liberal on most things, pot is on the ballot this year for legalization, although we did medical last election and still haven't opened any dispensaries.

You pretty much have access to any lifestyle you want in a 3 hour drive radius, a good variety of culture. Not much to go wrong with. Plus easy access to the rest of New England which has its own benefits.

I like the south and would love to live there for a bit, but I'd always make MA my long term home.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.