[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I see these backpackers with massive backpacks staying in hostels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 24

File: Urban_backpacking.jpg (877KB, 1840x2216px) Image search: [Google]
Urban_backpacking.jpg
877KB, 1840x2216px
I see these backpackers with massive backpacks staying in hostels and I think what could they possibly need to bring with them that warrants lugging that on your back across countries?

I've travelled with my little brothers tiny backpack stuffed with clothes and toiletries because I was late for a flight/the train/whatever (I'm always late) and couldn't find another bag

So why do these backpackers need such enormous bags? They're not sleeping outdoors they're staying in hostels
>>
Sorry to hijack this thread with my own question but i wanted to ask. Is it a good idea to backpack with a duffel bag? Im contemplating it as it saves me having to fork out 200+ on a new bag that looks ugly having to carry around.
>>
You always bring to much stuff
>>
I just got a new backpack for my travels, kelty redwing 50 reserve. Fits me perfectly and fits about all I need for a multi year trip. I also keep my backpack weight down to about 10kg. I sometimes wonder myself why anyone would bring more when those 10kg already feels heavy but I've met girls a head shorter than me who were carrying 15kg+.

My only explanation is human nature and a noobish traveler. Think about our lives, we accumulate random crap that we don't even need 90% of the time. It's to the point that minimalistic lifestyles are seen as something unusual when in reality those people just get rid of junk that everyone could get rid of and wouldn't even notice. New travelers also don't fully know what they will need on their travels so they take more than its needed, most people start dropping things off along the way or sending them back home.

>>1154270
It depends on where you're going and what you want to do. If you're train hopping across Europe then it won't really be an issue. If you're thinking of doing some trekking or nature walks in Asia it's going to be super inconvenient unless you also have a smaller backpack with you and leave the duffel somewhere.
>>
>>1154266
I agree it's the mark of the Fake Travelerâ„¢.

I think it's usually upper middle class travel noobs whose parents write a blank check for supplies and they honestly think they're going to die without a foam sleeping pad and water purifier in central London. You'll notice that the more someone travels, the smaller their bags get.

I personally use a 50l but I think it's absolutely disgusting and degenerate to not shower and wear clean clothes every day, so it's only clothes in there.
>>
>>1154270
Duffel bags are great if you're staying long in one place or traveling around by car. If you move a lot you'll wish you could just throw that thing on your back instead of carrying it in your hands through half a city every fucking day.
>>
>>1154266
As an experienced backpacker I can only say that looks might be deceiving. I always carry a 50L for travels (usually 6-8 weeks). I do a lot of trekking and hiking and bringing hiking boots and 2 sets of hiking outfits already take in a nice amount of space. Furthermore toiletries and washing agent, towels and another set of shoes. The rest is filled with a lot of t-shirts and underwear, and like 2 pairs of pants.

I always return with more than I came with tho!
>>
Generally, it's a rookie mistake. However, there might be 3 good reasons.

1/ Cold weather
I could travel with a 5kg bag with flip flop hanging outside in SE Asia for months. However, things get a little out of hand in colder climates where you need coat, warmer socks, scarf, jumper (a spare one takes a massive amount of space). Yes, I know you wear most of this shit while you carry the bag, but it isn't always that way (for example, if you start in Italy and end up in Poland October, you gonna want to change gear at some point, same for mountainous regions).

2/ Working on the road
An actual working gear takes room : laptop, charger, multi outlets, headset, extra hard drive... it takes up space. You quickly need something bigger.

3/ Being a woman
Seriously, you need more shit : hair dryer if you're a cold place, more underwear, more meds and pharmaceuticals (tampons takes up space, you know)

The girls on the picture look ridiculous though. You're in a city with a goddamn outdoor hiking cup ffs
>>
>>1154266

Only plausible if doing heavy trekking, for items such as tents, rain covers, mats to sleep on and blankets and small pillows.

>>1154270

No. My first solo trip out of continent was with a duffel bag and although it did just fine, I was uncomfortable lugging it around the city for more than an hour, immediately after arrival.

Get a decent backpack in the $50 range and be done with it, desu.
>>
It can get excessive but you do need at least a 40L for a decent trip if you have no other bags/luggage.

I backpacked around Germany for 2 weeks with a 30L and did not have room for a second pair of shoes or a raincoat in the actual bag.
>>
>>1154320
You don't need a second pair of shoes.
>>
Depends mostly on what you're doing at the destination. I go out at night usually and like to look good so I'll have another pair of nicer footwear in my bag aside from my day shoes. If I'm going somewhere hot where I'll sweat a lot, I'm gonna bring a little extra in case I can't get to laundry frequently enough. After adding my camera gear and a towel, my 30L will be about 70% filled. By the time I'm coming home, that bag is 110% filled with shit hanging off the sides of it or I'll have purchased another bag thanks to all the gifts I got for family and friends. I hate looking like "that guy" when walking around with a stuffed bag but generally I travel for at least a month so shit just piles up.
>>
>>1154321
Having nothing but a pair of walking boots for 2 weeks is far from ideal.
>>
File: farpoint_55_volcanic_grey.jpg (802KB, 2000x3006px) Image search: [Google]
farpoint_55_volcanic_grey.jpg
802KB, 2000x3006px
I guess this is related and saves me from creating a new thread.

Does anyone know if pic related is suitable as a carry-on?

It's the osprey farpoint 55 litre backpack. I know they do a carry-on version which is 45 litres but I was looking for the extra room
>>
File: 1411741224752.png (176KB, 400x346px) Image search: [Google]
1411741224752.png
176KB, 400x346px
>>1154320
>did not have room for a second pair of shoes
Did you have enough room for your tampons?
>>
>>1154356
What are you planning on bringing for your trip?

I've got a Porter 46, and it's pretty damn chunky when it's fully packed. Combined with a partially packed Daylite (13 liters -> 59 total if the daylite were packed fully), I was able to make it a carry-on, but barely. You'll be pushing it!
>>
>>1154266
>They're not sleeping outdoors they're staying in hostels
They are sleeping outdoors. They don't spend their entire trips in Hostels, and they don't throw away and buy new gear as they need it.
>>
>>1154274
How are you able to plan/fund a multi year trip? Just curious, because travelling has always been a dream of mine, but do you just kind of wing it and do things as you go? I'm a noob when it comes to this
>>
>>1154356
I think it's too big.
And you'll have to check it in in probably every plane you take.
>>
>>1154266
>So why do these backpackers need such enormous bags? They're not sleeping outdoors they're staying in hostels
Maybe sometimes they actually do camp outdoors, and skip the hostel.
>>
>>1154356
>Does anyone know if pic related is suitable as a carry-on?
Measure it. Go to your particupar airline website, check dimensions in their luggage rules. /answer
>>
>>1154266
There's a few reasons. One is that you don't know where you'll be sleeping and if you're into any sort of outdoorsy things then camping is likely to happen. This means you need a sleeping bag and good footwear, plus your clothes, plus camera if you're into that, and possibly a laptop or something similar. Remember that you don't know how long you'll go without laundry, so extra clothes are needed, and if you're backpacking for like a month you want to be prepared. It really adds up pretty quickly if you expect to be moving around a lot over a long time.
>>
File: deuter.jpg (197KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
deuter.jpg
197KB, 1500x1500px
I got this...has a nice comfy detachable backpack...it's 70l and i dont even fill it all up...I'm tall too so it's suitable for me. It's well worth the money.
>>
>>1154398
Mostly trekking/camping gear, Camera, clothing, Toiletries. I've got a 46 litre bag and have always ran out of space.

It would be 10cm height dimension over the permitted, I'm trying to figure out if maybe the airlines would turn a blued eye to

>>1154410
It's looking that way...

>>1154420
As said above its 10cm over the allowed height which seems negligible to me here's hoping airlines make an exception
>>
>>1154403
You can work along the way like I will be doing. I'm going on some work holidays and then possibly will teach English in Asia somewhere. I travel fairly cheaply, trying to stay on a $50 per day budget. I don't go to 15 cities in 10 days, I try to spend at least a few weeks in each country I visit and slower travel is cheaper. I could travel even cheaper if I didn't eat out as much as I do (I often travel for food and don't cook when on the road), hitchhiked instead of taking buses or trains and so on. But I have enough money saved up for a $50 a day budget

Ultimately you need to have some money to start traveling, get a job, save up as much as you can and then travel. $5000, with that amount of money you can move to Australia or NZ for a work holiday for a year and see those countries while also working there. If you're under 30 and from a western country it's really easy to travel the world and work in each location.

I usually don't wing my trips, I enjoy planning for them. I have certain plan for where I want to travel over the next half a decade and while my plans will likely change somewhat I hope to hit the main goals. Having said that, I don't plan my travels in a way that I can't add/remove certain things to them.
>>
>tfw brought a 30L backpacking bag and a smaller 15L pack from maxpeidtion for my several month long excursion into europe
>have slowly realized that I could probably ditch one of the bags and mail a bunch of clothes home without much fuss and still be comfortable as long as I washed my stuff frequently

No matter what, you always tend to over-pack
>>
>>1154446
>here's hoping airlines make an exception
If it's a full-service carrier they might, if it's a budget airline I doubt they'd pass up the opportunity to slug you with the excess baggage fee.

I don't advise you to do it, but then I'm biased because I hate when boarding gets delayed, or there's no room in the overhead locker because one person is trying to carry-on their suitcase, backpack, handbag and small musical instrument.
>>
>>1154356
Technically its too big, what you want is the Porter 46 which is the exact maximum dimensions for the majority of airlines. Although, its unlikely an airline is actually going to ever measure your bags, they will however weigh them from time to time.
>>
>>1154266

No clue. I've been using a 35L backpack since I first started traveling years ago. On the trip I'm currently on, I've that backpack and then another school bag, which I use to carry my laptop and charger - I need that so I can support myself doing freelance writing. On shorter trips, I usually only take the 35L school bag and my phone.
>>
I use a 50L pack, but then again I usually carry a tripod, two camera bodies, up to 5 lenses, film and other equipment with me. Plus, I like to have some extra space for souvenirs etc.
>>
I traveled for two weeks with a 30 liter. This journey included some trekking in heavy terrein wo half my back pack was filled with shoes and clothing for this. So basically i could travel with 15 liters.
>>
>>1154458
Another noob question: how do you acquire jobs when traveling and how difficult is it? Do you need a CV/references/experience/skills like at home? Just assume the worst of me.
>>
>carrying bags
>not putting stuff in the hotel
Are you guys homeless
>>
>>1154577
>Hotel?! Enjoy wasting money!
>You only sleep in the room! What a waste!
>Real Travelers don't use hotel rooms.

Get ready for broke 19 year olds to tell you how hostels are superior and it's totally not because it's all they can afford.
>>
>>1154266
Why the fuck do you care what kind of bag someone carries around you fucking snob? Unless theyre bumping into you with it, mind your own business you autistic faggot.
>>
>>1154446
>its 10cm over
That's too much tbqh. That being said, since it's a soft exterior, as long as you aren't filling your bag to capacity then it should be OK since your bag can scrunch down to smaller dimensions whereas more rigid shelled luggage cannot.

>>1154496
Pretty much this. Budget airlines are quite strict with their carry-on bags. Almost all of the ones I've flown will measure your carry-on. RyanAir in particular is extremely strict; they come around with a box when you're queuing at the gate and if your bag does not smoothly slide in, they make you go back to the counter to check it in.
>>
>>1154561
You look for them as you would back home. On work holiday visas you'll likely not get any amazing jobs but there should be plenty available in places like Australia or Canada during their harvesting seasons. Due to Australia's climate you can find work year rounds.

Getting jobs is more difficult these days than it used to be a couple of decades ago but it's still possible to find plenty while traveling. Just don't have high expectations.

If you're after entry level jobs in Australia you'll find those without experience and references but obviously it will be easier if you do have some already.
>>
>>1154578
this entire thread is just idiots like you shitting on other people for their choices. just shut up. no one fucking cares.

people go to hostels to make friends. deal with it
>>
>>1154284i
If it don't smell bad and looks clean it's good for me
>>
>>1154619
>You look for them as you would back home.

Welp, maybe I should try a more autist friendly hobby. Thanks for your advice by the way, very kind of you.
>>
>>1154294
Do you really need hiking boots to trek ?
>>
>>1154713
not generally. they might have better treads for slippery terrain which is important, and maybe the only important thing, but most of their features are superfluous. the ankle support they provide is useless, and your legs should be strong enough on their own. if your ankles aren't already strong enough, THAT is when you risk injury. it's mostly just an excuse to get SWPL people to spend 300 dollars at REI
>>
>>1154627
Ew, are you Mediterranean or something
>>
>>1154266
>They're not sleeping outdoors they're staying in hostels

Currently 6 months into a nine month trip around the world, have hiked >1200 miles through the outdoors, in a week will be staying in European hostels for the majority of the last three months, I hope to do some hiking in eastern Europe along the way. Keeping my hiking gear leaves many more travel options open to me.

Don't be a judgemental cumsponge.
>>
>used 40L for a ten day trip
>1/3 of the pack volume and 4 lbs was a giant wool blanket because I did literally sleep outside (not every night, just twice)
>also had hiking sneakers in there
>rest of room was camp towel, hiking hat, a small bag for bathroom shit, tech and boring stuff, and two small pack cubes of clothes
>had plenty

idk mang. At least it was relatively light, probably 20 lbs. I walked around the city half the day with it on my back just fine. I didn't lack for anything. The blanket's volume could be swapped for more clothes in a cold climate and the extra shoes wouldn't be necessary, since my current sneakers actually did hold up hiking and babby rock climbing just fine.

>>1154299
>: hair dryer if you're a cold place, more underwear, more meds and pharmaceuticals (tampons takes up space, you know)

This is retarded. I've never used a hair dryer in my life, and I use a menstrual cup that fits smaller than the palm of your hand and weighs nothing. Our clothes and shoes are also smaller. Pharmas? My bc takes practically no room and I'd be surprised if it weighs a full ounce for a month's supply.

>>1154436
>detachable backpack

I use a string backpack. Attach a small carbiner to make it comfy. Weighs practically nothing and takes no space. Also water resistant.
>>
>>1154713

Really depends. You need something more than city shoes because normal sneakers slip on wet rocks/leaves and steep terrain. Many just use hiking sneakers and not full boots. But the sneakers are still 75% of the weight anyway. Boots are also useful because they're waterproof, so if you're hiking in rain or through a lot of puddles (sometimes there is NO way to avoid puddles if the entire fucking trail is swamped out) the proper shoes will save you from a very bad time. Wet socks = blisters. And possibly waking up to frozen-solid sneakers.
>>
>in hostel
>saw guy with giant 65/70 l hiking grade pack PLUS a small suitcase and several bags
>he was from germany
>wanted to ask him what was all in it but he was extremely standoffish
>all he did was lounge in the hostel, cook shitty pot-a-noodles, and browse his phone

I guess he has to haul around all the sticks he likes to shove up his ass? Are all germans this cunty? He also moved the entire power strip over nearer his bed just so his phone could be on his bed, and the rest of our electronics were on the floor thus instead of the table. What a shitstain.
>>
>Not taking 4kgs/4500 pages of books with you to read on mountaintops
Geez guys, get a grip.
>>
File: whatchareading.png (140KB, 443x482px) Image search: [Google]
whatchareading.png
140KB, 443x482px
>>1155046
>>
>>1155050
There are no power outlets on a mountain top. Check mate atheists
>>
>>1155082
Kindle's batteries last 1-2 months. srs
>>
>>1155050
love my kindle. big problem with it though is that the formatting on any books with pictures is fucked.

I like reading travel guides when I travel, but it's impossible to navigate. I just end up buying physical books.
>>
>>1155044
>are all Germans this cunty?

Literally yes. Try cracking a joke around one. They'll literally stare at you blank faced and have no comprehension of what you just said.
>>
>>1155144
Maybe you're just not funny
>>
>>1154266
Have a 75L osprey backpack myself. Although I hate the fact it's pretty big, with a dslr (Canon 600D with 2 lenses it's hard to do with a much smaller bag. When I go abroad for like 5 weeks of travelling I normally fit my 20L Mammut daypack inside the big one. The bigger one fits me pretty well and I only use it to travel between cities/hostels. It's packed with some clothes, electronics, etc. During most of the day I use the daypack. Fit a hat, guidebook, waterbottle, DSLR/GoPro inside and there's more spare room. Depending on my destination I bring my big heavy walkingboots with me, they take alot of space. Made the mistake to carry them to Vietnam, used them only 2 days. I think all my baggage is like 15kg.

Used my big bag for hiking aswell with a MSR Hubba Hubba tent, thermarest matress, down sleeping bag and some little stove + my spare clothes. A friend of mine had to wear his own stuff and the food.

Never regretted buying a big bag so far. Only dislike the fact that it doesn't have a zipper the full way down.
>>
>>1155192
how did your friend wear his own food?
>>
>>1154333

Are you a woman?

I've been wearing the same pair of shoes for two years and I've never even though I needed another one.

I change my shoes when I wear the soles out.

Just suck it up fampai, you ain't gonna die.
>>
File: 8890.jpg (439KB, 1620x2160px) Image search: [Google]
8890.jpg
439KB, 1620x2160px
They're obviously just inexperienced.

I just got back from a month in Asia with this.
>>
File: IMG_20160714_124409.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160714_124409.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>1155332

and the contents
>>
>>1155333

forgot to mention:

I got a smaller toiletries bag after this photo and replaced the flip flops for a pair of Tevas.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have brought the Vans at all, they were basically dead weight the whole time.
>>
>>1155333
>>1155332
>>1155334
Did you only stay in cities? Didn't even venture out into nature there?
>>
>>1155336

Why do you say that? Do I need trekking poles or something?

You're right, though. I mainly stayed in cities. I hiked Bukhansan in Korea and went to Ninh Binh province in Vietnam. Tevas were fine for both situations.
>>
>>1154266
Bags in pic related aren't even that big, seen folks with much bigger kek.
Personally I carry a 45L backpack and a small bag for food, and I do sleep outside 90% of the time, so it's mostly clothes and camping gear. And really i carry astoundingly little.
>hammock and tarp, no tent.
>no sleeping pad, just a small bag
>2 changes of clothes, pair of pants, windbreaker (I wear things 2 or 3 days or until they start to feel gross)
>other small bullshit
BUT that other 10% of the time I stay with friends or use a hostel when I'm in a big city. So... just because someone stays in a hostel one night doesn't mean they don't need camping gear.
>>
>>1154284
This.

Even when I went south east Asia I had a 45L green canvas bag that I picked up for £20, and I even packed a jumper, waterproof jacket and a fucking scarf for some reason (they went in the bin about 30 seconds out of Bangkok INTL)

The only large bag I've ever had was a north face duffel style hiking bag which I took to Africa, because I knew I wouldn't have much chance to do dry cleaning, and I'd be sweating all day long as I did hiking and stuff out there, so needed space for boots and shit.

I've seen backpackers with a 90litre on their back and a 35 on their front, always middle class teens on some gap year with a fucking bear grylls style survival kit, it's Thailand not the capital wasteland ya fucking dingus.
>>
>needing more than 50L
>ever

New travelers are so cute :3
>>
>>1154266
Those people lives in hostel, never take a shower or change their clothes and have those things...

I don't get it either
>>
>>1154356
I'm 10 months into my trip, started with the Farpoint 55 after tons of research, and ended up swapping it for an Osprey Waypoint 65 that I found in Thailand a month later. Even though the latter is a bit bulkier I would highly highly recommend it instead. The stiff sides, extra inside pockets, slight extra space in both backpacks, theft-resistant daypack, much better suspension and ventilation system... it's just dramatically better.

Unfortunately I think the Waypoint 65 is discontinued, but if you can find it and you already know the farpoint series fits well, IMO it's no contest.
>>
File: $_35[1].jpg (17KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
$_35[1].jpg
17KB, 225x300px
How fucked am I if I already have a 70L pack? (Pic related, Kathmandu Interloper)

It's for a month's travel in Europe. FWIW I'm a tall, fairly strong and fit male.

Will I really look like a 'fake traveler'?
>>
>>1155050
You are not gonna spend more then a month on a mountaintop.
>>
File: 1428617590422.jpg (5KB, 215x238px) Image search: [Google]
1428617590422.jpg
5KB, 215x238px
>>1155666

Honestly who cares? You can carry more stuff with a bigger pack. Yeah it'll be heavier but you're only walking a couple miles at most from the train station/airport to your accommodation. You won't even be using the pack the rest of the time you're just chilling in a city. If you were walking 8+ miles a dat then yeah you'd want to think of a smaller pack. A big pack is worth it when you get to wear clean underwear everyday, who cares if the guy with dreadlocks playing guitar horribly in the hostel doesn't think you're a realtravlerâ„¢. You're going to see 5'1 girls hulling around 90l packs that are bigger than them anyways, everyone does it.
>>
Try travelling longer than 6 months. Every single backpack I've used is the biggest one I can find so I don't have to send shit back home every other day. Things fill up fast with random crap I buy along the way. Also, I'd like to have more than one pair of boxers with me, you smelly cunt. Besides, are you a weak manlet? I never had any trouble lugging around a 20 kilo backpack because I'm healthy, strong male.
>>
File: ;lakjg .jpg (61KB, 252x355px) Image search: [Google]
;lakjg .jpg
61KB, 252x355px
>>1155753
>wearing underwear
>realtraveler
>>
I prefer to take a larger pack just so I can take more clothing. Traveling around Italy in the middle of the summer can get decently hot in the middle of the day. Let alone places in SEA where humidity is ungodly. I would rather have a bigger pack with more clothing instead of having to either re-wear sweat covered clothing or have to wash things every other night.

That and you never know what you might want to buy and bring back along the way. Like another poster said before, the only time you should be carrying the large pack is when you're heading to where you're staying from the train station/airport. So really you should only have to carry it between cities for a couple hours max.
>>
>>1155333
>5kg bag
well done
>>
>>1155332

Hey, you're a knob. A month ain't shit. And I bet you wore the same shit every single day. Your shoes look ridiculously small, too. And Vans? You shitting me? Are you a twelve year old, edgy veganist or something? No wonder you went to SEA, that's where your kind resides being hip and cool on the 2 USD backpackersbus. You need to gid gud, you are not impressing anyone.
>>
>>1154320
>second pair of shoes
kys
>>
>>1155753
I read that in hannibal's voice
>>
>>1155325
Are you a child?

You wear different shoes in different situations unless you are one of those worthless slobs who wears sneakers all the time.
>>
I live out of two small Polish mussette bags each weighing 5lb with no food or water. With food and water they are 10lb each. I have done this for four years. The people in OP are frightened and need a thick blanket between them and their own wit.
>>
I went on a 1 month trip around Eastern Europe with my gf and we both had 60L backpacks

AMA
>>
>>1155144
Maybe, just maybe, they don't understand your jokes because they're no native speakers, do not get the cultural references or you are just talking too fast to comprehend.
>>
>>1154266
>why do these backpackers need such enormous bags?

because they know they need a suitcase but it's not RealTravellerâ„¢ to use one, so they buy these huge packs instead
>>
>>1154320
>room for a second pair of shoes

you better fucking mean that you took one extra pair of shoes than the ones you had on your feet, not that you packed 2 extra pairs of shoes
>>
>>1154266

>took pack instead of case for a trip
>hated it 90% of the time

literally was only good for going up and down stairs, it was fucking heavy as shit and you get sore wearing it, you look like a knob lurching around with this hiking pack monstrosity on, it's hell in a crowd, basically outside the third world or the great outdoors they are retarded

get a case with wheels unless you are going into the jungle or up mountains some bullshit
>>
>>1154458
regarding hitchhiking, can you go into more detail on do's and don't do's? Just general tips I guess.

I planned a road trip from California to Seattle and often wondered if I could hitchhike along the way, but most people advised against it even if the law permitted it. I think mostly because some people wind up dead in some ditch or something that makes people so afraid of it.

Is 3rd world generally safer in that regard?
>>
>>1155020
If you're in Slovenia I can give you advice on great hiking tours and mountain spots.
>>
File: DSC02811.jpg (280KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02811.jpg
280KB, 1000x667px
I'll be heading to Norway, Greenland and Iceland, then down to Africa. This is what I'm taking.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>1154266
I frankly don't know. Sleeping in the wilds requires packing just a tent and a sleeping bag additionally. A regular schoolbag would not be enough, but pic rel is something optimal
>>
>>1156516

The USA has an incredibly high crime rate, everyone is armed, and people get thrown in jail for things like trespassing and vagrancy. Not only that, but insurance and gas are just a few dollars a month, so the only people who don't drive are absolutely penniless hobos that can disappear without anyone caring...
>>
File: help where do i put my suitcase.jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
help where do i put my suitcase.jpg
38KB, 500x333px
>>1156512

>suitcase

confirmed for never having travelled outside of the 1st world. you "real traveller" meme kids are hilarious and a tad bit insecure.
>>
>>1156418
Yup, she's a woman.
You are travelling. You are not trying to impress anybody. Suck it up.
>>
File: 1472194991808.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1472194991808.gif
3MB, 359x202px
I always travel with my 80l backpack because it's the only one I have.
I got it for free from my uncle 20 years ago and he made years of travel with it before me.

It's useful for my months long trips across multiple weathers but I don't care about looking ridiculous with such a big bag when I go 5 days in a big city not so far from home.
It won't be full in thoses trips of course but I don't mind the extra space, only useless weight matters.

You act like a girl when you judge other people looks, not when you take care of yours btw.
>>
>>1154356
this bag is shit, I love osprey but this specific bag is shit. I ended up buying 2 x 65L packsafe packs for my wife and I and we did 3 months all over europe earlier this year. We kept weight under 15kg each and it was perfect (needed the room for coats and such as were traveling in the spring).

Don't get this bag, seriously its not comfortable nor is it functional as it should be. Used it on a month long trip here in the US and it sucked.
>>
>>1157070
What do you dislike about it? I have the 40L (which doesn't have the add-on daypack and is carry-on compliant) and shit's dope.
>>
>>1157083
I second the question and agree with your statement.
>>
File: DSC05811v2.jpg (980KB, 1505x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05811v2.jpg
980KB, 1505x1000px
The best way to make it weight less is to learn it the hard way: through hiking.

You'll make the mistake once, then you'll only keep what's necessary.

Quite happy with my 45L, weight less than 800g and it packs my tent, sleeping bag, fleece, 1 set of clothing (1 Tee, 1 underwear, 1 pair of socks, 1 pants) and various shit such as cooking gear, camera lenses, batteries, first aid, 3 days of food...

Pic related.

I don't need that much when traveling though, only when doing multi-days hikes, which I only do in my home country anyway.
>>
They buy into the traveler image.

I dont get why people want to stand out as obvious tourists with huge bags, windbreakers, camera around your neck and straw hat

But uf you want to talk about overpacking ask the chinese. And 1 chinese person will take 3 peoples entire lifes worth of luggage anywhere.
Dont get caughr behind them at checkin. Literally takes like 40 minutes for them to get their 15 large suitcases on.
>>
>im going to pay hundreds on a big ass bag and all this shit so i can camp or go to a hostel and not spend money at a hotel
Hotels are not thst expensive. Youre not missing out on your
"real" experienxes by getting a room like a nirmal human being

There are very few places in the world that yoy need to "rough it". Especially places where you people like in the op image.

Walkinv around like that in tokyo, bangkok, florence, taipei, etc

Fucking idiots
>>
File: 1447812877430.jpg (27KB, 303x303px) Image search: [Google]
1447812877430.jpg
27KB, 303x303px
>>1157433

>stop doing things I don't like even though they don't effect me at all

The post
>>
>>1155666
If that pic is you, you don't have too much. You must have a lot of extra space in that bag if it's 70L
>>
>>1156516
People are fucked. I've never hitched outside of North America but I've hitched all around the states around and Washington/Oregon/Norcal is one of the greatest regions of the country for hitchhiking.
For the love of God don't listen to >>1156587 who has probably never been out of the basement, let alone explored the US. We get a bad rap because of our gun laws but the country is more than safe.
>>
what a pretentious bunch of faggots in this thread...hur durr you're not a real traveler unless your bag is 35L,Red, and carrying 1 set of clothes. Your bag is parked in a hostel for most the trip, it can be any size you want. Don't listen to any of these people who claim to be "real travelers." Most "real travelers" are a bunch of free loading bums too.
>>
>>1156251

what flyover are you from where Vans are still associated with emo kids circa 2007
>>
>>1157445
More like im explaining how stupid it is since it defeats the purpose of what theyre trygi to do.

But ok deflect and make an insult. Show us just how smart you are ok buddy
>>
File: 1467611560756.jpg (16KB, 480x384px) Image search: [Google]
1467611560756.jpg
16KB, 480x384px
>>1157508

The fact is you're literally crying and demeaning other people for making minor personal choices of preference that effect you in now way whatsoever. You tell me if I'm the one being stupid. Stop being a cunt you stupid cunt.
>>
File: 1159greenglovesweb.jpg (193KB, 426x640px) Image search: [Google]
1159greenglovesweb.jpg
193KB, 426x640px
>>1157490

Paris, France. Vans are for kids and veganists. Get dressed, son, and join the world of people who get laid.
>>
>>1157508
>>1157520

Guys, it's /trv/, no need to fight and get all ugly and stuff.
>>
File: realtravellerette.jpg (16KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
realtravellerette.jpg
16KB, 225x300px
>This entire fucking thread

Did all longer (several months) trips with my 70L everytime. Last trip I did was the camino del norte - 860km starting with 32kg + water. Admittedly, half was rations I had been hoarding up since forever which I wanted to get rid off... but still. Deal with it ya fags.
>>
>>1155666
Seems like a good backpack. You know, you don't have to fill it with rocks just because you have more space in it... I prefer bigger backpacks, because it's easier to rummage around in it when it's not overfull, and the extra weight from the pack itself is negligible. You can also prop it full of souvenirs and gifts during your trip and especially before flying home.
>>
>>1157755

I did a 11 month trip carrying a 25 kilo backpack and a 15 kg camerabag. Come at me, suitcase scrubs.
>>
>>1154266
>those jeans
smfh
>>
File: DSC_0148.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0148.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Saw this guy yeadterday. He had a backpack half a meter over his head backpacking in oslo, norway(probebly interrail)
>>
>>1154356

If you are flying discount airlines, then you'll want to get 45L or smaller bag for a carry-on. Otherwise you'll be forced to check it. Also get a hand held scale to use so you don't go over the weight limits that the discount airlines enforce (usually 12Kg or less) because they will weigh it.
>>
Pro tip below.

If you carry more than 7kg which includes 2kg of water you suck at travelling.

For warm countries:
You only need a 30-40L backpack, 1 Shorts, 2 pairs of socks and Boxers, 1 t shirt, 1 muscle shirt, some Toiletteries and 2 cans of 800ml-1L of water. That brings you almost everywhere.

Give Your spare clothes a quick wash in the mid-day Sun and let them dry.
I did it, you can too.
>>
My first time traveling internationally I went to Berlin and took a bicycle helmet, a brita pitcher, a mini DVD player, a bug zapper wand, and a 50 foot extension cord, among other things. I dunno what I was smoking.
>>
>>1157839
If that dude isn't doing a 2 week+ moutain expedition in the winter personally i see no fucking reason for a bag this big
>>
>>1158290

>2 pairs of socks and boxers

Look at this amateur.
>>
File: tarmac_3_4MK2_440x440.jpg (56KB, 440x304px) Image search: [Google]
tarmac_3_4MK2_440x440.jpg
56KB, 440x304px
>>1154270
as someone who travels all over the world with a duffelbag, no

I use the rubberized heavy duty ones with good shoulder straps, it's great to be able to throw them over your shoulder and run up the stairs vs people dragging rolling bags, but I wouldn't want to walk all over with it, a backpack would be much better
>>
Thinking of getting a 70L (15L day bag) for a 1.5 month trip through Japan followed by (directly after, nonstop) a 4 month trip through Europe, but afraid it might be a bit big. Can a tent, sleeping pad and bag, minimal cookware kit and fire items along with the other standard items fit in a 50L? I won't be camping the whole time, maybe 25-30% of the trip, rest in hostels.

It's going to be from mid March until August and through cold and hot weather, so I'll be packing for that as well.
>>
>>1158290
Ew, you're absolutely filthy.

Where are you from? So I can avoid going there.
>>
>>1158329
Maybe one could be enough
>>1158381
You go from A to B with the First boxershort.
In B you shower, Put on the second boxershort, wash First one, let it dry, go next morning in 2nd boxershort and in Destination C you do it again like this.
Have fun carrying much unnecessary weight.
If your normal Shorts are dirty you wear a swimshort (forgot that).
>>
>>1158577
I'd rather carry a few extra pairs of boxers than have to be washing one pair (and leaving it out on display for everyone in the hostel) every single fucking day.

Christ, I don't see anything wrong with the bags in OP's pic. I went downhill mountain biking in Spain for 2 weeks, took knee + elbow pads, 3 t-shirts, 1 shirt, a coat, jeans (I wore shorts mostly but it was cold at night), boxers and socks for each day, go-pro + cable, small first aid pack, torch, phone charger, toiletries, a small book... That was enough to fill up a 70L backpack with a bit of extra space for souvenirs.

Call me a newbie traveller, I don't like to smell or look like shit when I'm meeting new people.
>>
>>1158605

t. real traveller who is ashamed to wash in hostels/albergues
>>
>all these people talking about sending things home while travelling

Do you all travel on mummy and daddies dime while they keep your room nice and tidy for you back home?
Is there anyone on this board who doesn't live with their parents when they aren't traveling?
>>
>>1158637
Perhaps they have friends? People who would be willing to hold onto a few things for them? Why do you instantly go to belittle people?
>>
>>1158642
Because I'm right.
Truth hurts, huh?
>>
>>1158637
What's the problem? Obviously if you are travelling, your home is empty and you can't send anything to yourself, better send to someone who can pick it up and hold until you return.
>>
>>1158647
Lurk moar, this is not /b//
>>
>>1158637
Not other people's fault your parents wish they'd aborted you. Some people actually grow up and appreciate their folks and vice versa.
>>
>>1154270
If you are healthy enough to back pack a duffel, I don't see why not. I do it all the time.
>>
>>1158689
But whats the point of a duffle bag?
Why not a 30l backpack
>>
File: Savotta906a.jpg (118KB, 1000x851px) Image search: [Google]
Savotta906a.jpg
118KB, 1000x851px
Oh shit. I've used this (or, a slightly older model) in my last few trips, or rather my only trips, since I haven't really traveled before last year. I bought it 10+ years ago when I was in the army, haven't used it since, and I felt I should get at least some mileage out of it. I guess that makes me a fake traveler, but it's probably an accurate assessment anyway. I have managed to pack less and less in each successive trip...
>>
>>1154270

depends on your travel. gonna do lots of walking? get a backpack. gonna be train hopping or city exploring? get a duffel bag.

i just completed a ten day journey by train across southeast asia using a duffel bag. best idea ever in my case. the bag was compact and convenient to carry, and i didn't stick out like all the other western tourists. it makes it much easier to blend in when you're not lugging your life's belongings on your back.
>>
You don't need that much stuff. You're an idiot and everyones laughing at you when you walk around with that shit
>>
What bagpack would seen as being enough but not too big enough that would get people laughing at you? i have the osprey atmos 65 if i use it will i look like i'm packing too much?
>>
I only use carry-on size because I hate checking bags. I don't want them to lose my crap or toss it around and smash it up. I get irritated if we have to wait on people who had checked bags. It's a ton of cost and drama...just pack less, Nancy.

>>1156469

Nigger my laptop weighs five pounds.
>>
>>1158637

This guy doesn't family and friends. I feel for you, orphan.

>>1158919

>idiot
>caring about other people's opinion.

Newsflash: you are the idiot.
>>
>>1155333
that lock is useless
>>
>>1158338
The 50L wouldn't be able to hold all that plus your clothes/rations/etc, unless you're strapping a lot of stuff to the outside of your bag. If it were me, I'd try to bring just the stuff I can't make exceptions on when it comes to camping. For example, if I'm camping somewhere with more extreme weather conditions, I'm gonna want my tent, my sleeping bag, and my multitool, because these are the things I depend on to not die. On the other hand, if I'm going to be pitching on beaches or the like, I would maybe bring my tent and then rent or buy a secondhand bag and whatever else I want/need at the destination.

>>1158934
It's a little amusing to see the difference between someone who travels frequently compared to someone who barely travels. I used to pack a lot but over time learned to leave the nonessential items behind. I'm going to abroad for 3 months and my brother is astonished that I'm only bringing a carry on.
>>
File: 14733021425111206068969.jpg (383KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
14733021425111206068969.jpg
383KB, 960x1280px
I'm traveling us homeless with this
I've had a lot less to sometimes nothing.
>>
>>1158324
he is probebly not. he was with one dude and two other girls and they had where on the way from Oslo to Stockholm.
>>
>>1158879
how is the bad? and brand/ link please.
have you tested it in hot climate? how is the ventelation for the back?
>>
>>1155403
I had a 38L Osprey in Southeast Asia and ended up throwing some stuff out, not sure how people manage to carry an Aether 70 filled halfway with dragon dildos.
>>
>>1159433
nice looking doggo
>>
>>1159433
Did you get fired from your job and couldn't pay rent or something?
>>
What would be the recommended backpack size if I want to spend 1.5-2 months in SEA on a pretty cheap budget?
Also, what are some decent brands?
>>
>>1155333

>wearing shoes inside the house
>shoes near clothes
>clothes on the floor where shoes have been

Filthy Gaijin
>>
>>1160264
Oh no, I don't think it's bad, it's just not in the spirit of the thread (make do with less). It's easy to carry on your back and off (due to the frame), it has lots of convenient side pockets, and two main pockets that are easier to rummage through. But it is big and unwieldy in cramped spaces.

I've carried it in 37 C at the hottest, and it was surprisingly pleasant to use. You'd just get normally sweaty instead of having an instant back sweat. I haven't carried it for a prolonged time in ages, though. Mostly between cities and such.

The brand and model name are in the name of the pic. I have an older model, but it looks like the basic design hasn't changed a bit.
>>
I went to Mars last year. All you Real Travelers can get bent.
>>
>>1158962
Deterrence is the key (!!ROFL!!) factor here. There's plenty of unguarded shit lying around in hostels, makes no sense to jack one of the few lockers with a padlock.
>>
>>1154527
Mind name dropping your gear or some technicals? Also what kind of content do you make I'm assuming its for money
>>
>>1155915
This.

I also enjoy to actually be able to look pretty decent if I go out at night and not like one of those travelling wanks in Chang singlets and thongs.
>>
>>1157839
Think this is the biggest bag I've ever seen, would love to see the layout of all the shit he has jammed into there
>>
File: faggots.jpg (19KB, 231x244px) Image search: [Google]
faggots.jpg
19KB, 231x244px
Who the fuck cares.
Are you guys so pathetic and insecure that you care about looking like a fucking kind of person or not? Get the biggest bag you can because it's going to be more comfortable.
I went to a couple of countries in Europe with a 75 liter bag and one night I won a big Duvel ornament and carried it through Europe inside my backpack through the rest of the trip without giving a fuck.
I also just realized you real travelers are so cheap you don't buy clothes or ANYTHING in the other countries?
The people who claim to only go with 1 pair of shoes, how the fuck do you go partying or into a decent restaurant/lounge?

Stop with this retarded shit, fucking cheap judgemental people.
>>
>>1162088
People compare themselves to others, that's basic human nature. You have to be better than other people at something or you'll become depressed. If you don't have anything tangible to do that with, your subconscious will start inventing trivial shit (e.g. backpack size) to obsess over. If you traveling is all you have in your life, it's inevitable you will start trying to imagine ways in which you are a better traveler than everyone else. Hence pack size becomes a pissing contest.

It's p stupid, how does it affect you in any way that someone else is using a pack that is slightly larger or more robust than what is absolutely necessary for their trip.

Also I'm normally the last person to say this kind of thing but it you seriously have trouble carrying a pack in the sub 15kg weight range and are male you need to look at your fitness.
>>
>>1154266
Cold weather, sweater/coat/pants take a shit ton of room

Alternatively if it's a long trip to multiple locations and you're carrying souvenirs etc it's useful
>>
>>1154270
I just came back from 2+ months in europe using a decent sized duffel bag. Had a good mix of walking, flying, trains and renting cars, and was changing countries on average every 4-7 days. Travelled fairly light, but I had a mix of weather to pack for, so it was around 10kg.

Duffel was convenient for getting around cities, and quickly packing/finding gear. Was easy to stow on trains/boats/planes, had one zip to lock, and also made me feel slightly less touristy.

The worst parts were the travelling days - carrying that thing from a train station to a hostel for example, while trying to find your way. It had a shoulder strap which is comfortable for 15 mins or so, but any longer and i wore it like a backpack (with my day backpack on my chest). The duffel bag straps weren't padded or designed for that kind of carrying, so not very comfortable - but manageable.

I'd probably take the same thing next time, maybe with some velcro strap sleeve things.
>>
Why does no one make daypack that don't come in faggy 80's colors? Is it too much to ask for a muted, simple bag that can be used when you store your luggage somewhere?
>>
>>1155040
>I've never used a hair dryer in my life
disgusting fucking dyke
fuck off
>>
>>1156630
>outside of the 1st world
why would anyone want to?
only "real traveler" trust fund babbies find joy in going to underdeveloped shitholes so they can tell epic stories and post pictures on facebook

if you're not a poor cunt there's not reason not to travel with a suitcase and stay in nice hotels
>>
Consider that if you travel on the long term you need to cloths for different seasons, and for a set for a week (and only 2 pants) (to avoid losing time washing your cloths), then you add some paperwork, laptop, sleeping bag, medical stuffs, because you don't want to have diarrhea and so on in the middle of nowhere. I guarantee you your bag will be full with this simple stuffs
Thread posts: 161
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.