[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greyhound experiences? about to take my first trip on one and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Greyhound experiences? about to take my first trip on one and it's 40+ hours long, is it usually crowded? do I have to make sure my bags get properly transferred from bus to bus?
>>
>>1151781
Don't get killed.
>>
>>1151781
Why wouldn't you fly? Where you going from/to?
>>
>>1151781
I took it for 4 hours back and forth between Boston and New York City and it was fine.

I can't imagine taking a 40+ hour bus trip. Why the fuck would you do that?
>>
>>1151785
>>1151784
There's multiple stops and it's cheaper then flying

Only thing I'm worried about is their bagging policy. I understand I can't pack a full PC so I was going to break it down to the components and pack them securely in my checked bag. Stupid or genius?
>>
>>1151786
>There's multiple stops and it's cheaper then flying
How much is your time worth?

I just brought a backpack with me on the bus and put my larger bag underneath and everything was fine.
>>
>>1151789
>my time
>having any worth
that's funny but besides the point.

Did they actually look into your bag? I saw their policy about 'no electronics' but I've read posts from other people just packing clothes etc. around the electronics and having no issues.

Do they transfer the bags bus to bus for you?
>>
>>1151792
Nobody looked in my bag and I didn't have any transfer so I can't answer the second question.
Although the first result on Google answers that question:
>If you're transferring from one bus to another, you need to collect your bags from the first bus and bring them to the next.
>>
>>1151794
Cool thanks, you have any tips?
>>
>>1151781
>40+ hours long

I did a 14 hour bus trip and wanted to fucking die by the end of it.
>>
>>1151796
It's not continuous. Altogether it's maybe 20~ hours on the road broken up by lots of hours long breaks.
>>
>>1151795
get plane tickets
>>
>>1151786
>it's cheaper then flying
I just can't believe it.

Where are you going to/from again?
>>
>>1151786
>I can't pack a full PC so I was going to break it down to the components and pack them securely in my checked bag. Stupid or genius?

What about the case, genius?
>>
>>1151809
its a 15$ case, i'll leave it and buy another upon arrival.
>>
>>1151781
I was once a poor college kid OP. I've taken the bus from NYC to Pittsburgh, and Dallas to Charleston, SC, both round trip.

It's gonna suck. It might be interesting for the first couple minutes, but it'll get old quick. The people you're traveling with will be the worst part. These are the people who couldn't afford plane tickets. It'll be white trash and ghetto blacks and nothing but. There may be someone in tears because their life has gone to shit. At some point you will question you decision to take the bus and vow never to do so again. You are in charge of your bag. You put it on and take it off. Keep a close eye on it. You're carry fragile stuff, so be careful about where you put it, because Shaquana is going to slam her huge hard rollerbag on top if she can. You will also see people traveling with trash bags as their luggage. You will have decent stops for restroom/smoke/food breaks. Depends on the route and the driver. Rules are few and not well enforced. Plenty of people grabbing beers for the road, I would suggest this.
>>
>>1151804
This -- budget airlines are almost always competitive, and WAY faster.
>>
>>1151781
I rode Greyhound from Milwaukee to Orlando back in 2001.

It was...interesting. Not exactly a cross-section of society because anyone with two nickels to rub together takes a plane.

Saw some of the filthiest bathrooms in the country, saw a guy who may or may not have been dead, saw two cops hauling a handcuffed but not defeated black guy out of a restroom. Lots of crazy shit happens when you ride the Big Dog, and not all of it is the good kind of crazy.

Take a book.
>>
File: AbhayaBWfilm-17.jpg (196KB, 650x431px) Image search: [Google]
AbhayaBWfilm-17.jpg
196KB, 650x431px
Went from Illinois to California twice. Took around 40 hours one way. Here's what I've got:

>Crowding will depend on location and time of year: In the fall, Chicago to Denver was almost full, I was one of four passengers from Denver to Salt Lake City, and Salt Lake City to Ukiah was almost full and packed once I was in California.
>If you bring one bag like I did (and it was big), you can have it on your lap or in front of you (with less leg room of course) on the bus.
>There will be good people and bad people, loud ones and quiet ones. Such is life. I've never had anyone come close to stealing my things and have not seen or heard incidents dealing with theft.
>The bus driver may or may not suck. From San Francisco to L.A. the guy could barely speak english and seemed to have no idea what he was doing. From Salt Lake City to Nevada, this righteous dude was a master and maneuvered around a stopped car in the middle of a freeway, preventing an accident, at night. From Denver to Salt Lake City, the guy was dorky but pretty chill. Everyone hated the one starting in Chicago because she was an angry authoritarian who went by the books.
>Each run has its own little community on the bus, which can be interesting or annoying depending on how you look at it. The annoying part is when people keep you up at night. It's also kind of nerve-racking when it's a group of hoodlums or unrestrained types. But don't let it get to you.
>Sleeping sucks if you don't have a pillow of sorts. If you're sleeping at a station, it sucks no matter what (and Salt Lake City's benches are the spawns of satan.
>Sometimes, the electrical outlets for charging your phone don't work, and the bus driver may or may not care to turn them on.
>I found that the worst part of bus travelling was the way back home, just because I wanted it to be over with.

Pic taken in NW Colorado - NE Utah, beautiful part of the country.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.