[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the artistic hub of Paris? The place where struggling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: ErnestHemingway.jpg (1MB, 1500x1873px) Image search: [Google]
ErnestHemingway.jpg
1MB, 1500x1873px
What is the artistic hub of Paris? The place where struggling artists and writers live and work and meet? I'm moving to the 5th Arrondissement for 6 months to work on my novel and I'd love to meet other like-minded people there.
>>
>>1151332
watcha writing about? Why don't you go on /lit/ and tell us about it? We're always interested.
>>
>>1151332
Shakespeare & Co. is still alive and kicking, as your choice of arrondissement suggests you already know, although it's a bit more commercial and less communitarian than it was in the 60s, per my beatnik aunt who slept there for a while fifty years ago. Still hosts many good readings and gatherings for expat writers and pretentious bohos of various stripes.

Lots of artists in and around Montmartre, too, but it's crazy expensive.
>>
>>1151432
People and stuff. I'm on /lit/ a lot but thought this question was better suited to this board

>>1151448
That's good to hear, I guess naturally prices will have increased and thus pushed a lot of the poorer artists out. I'll be sure to search my location and also montmartre, thanks.
>>
>>1151332
do you speak french? And what language do you write in?
>>
>>1151756
A little bit. I write in English.
>>
>>1151332
20s ended a long time ago
>>
>>1151332
Kind of related. Check it out
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDQvs1JLcIs
>>
>>1151332
it is not 1925 anymore
>>
>>1151973
Barbès != Paris as a whole, mein négre
>>
File: beard2.jpg (6KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
beard2.jpg
6KB, 160x160px
>>1151919
>>1151915

Underrated replies.
>>
>>1151973
so yeah this is going to haunt my dreams
>>
>>1151332
I'm in a position similar to that of the OP but would like to know what the artistic hub of Europe is. I plan on spending a few months in one city but have not decided which.
>>
>>1153465
London or Berlin probably
>>
>>1153465

Leeds, Hamburg or Copenhagen
>>
>>1153467
>>1153479
Have either of you been to these cities? I was thinking Berlin just because of the frequency of its mention. I don't have too much saved up so I would need somewhere cheap also. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>1153467
>>1153479
>>1153479
Out of the five cities mentioned here, Berlin is most likely the cheapest one. And it probably is the most interesting one as well, artistically speaking. London is for pretentious artists.
>>
>>1153479
>Leeds
For post-rock, maybe. It doesn't really have a whole lot of other things going on.
>>
>>1151332

Born and raised in Paris here, lived there for 22 years. I live in a small german town now. I will probably sound like a hipster but just like in Berlin, the hype made it difficult to find "struggling" artists. You will have to go through 80% rich bored kids with little talent and 15% hippies with no talent. It wasnt "better yesterday", its pure logic : when a place gets hyped, aspiring artists, talented or not, tend to believe the atmosphere/spirit of the area will somehow penetrate their soul and make something out of them. This is how you obtain a pile of pseudo avant garde and fart smelling contests. You will probably meet interesting people who are really genuine and passionate, but you will have to look for them longer. Look for small bars with live concerts in Montreuil, Bastille, maybe Montmartre, the 11th arrdt. Talk to groups of young people who look like they re students and have an even male female ratio. They are mostly open minded if you have a foreign accent, be honest and say you want to meet new people. Sounds beta but they ll find it cute/cool.
>>
>>1151332
Depends what gets your muse going I guess.
Also depends what you're writing about and what experiences you're looking for.
All things considered, I'd say the 5th arrondissement is a pretty good start. Shitload of students and lot of bars.
>>
>>1153499
London is very expensive. Berlin is cheap but is getting more expensive.
>>
I dont speak any french
Where can i buy a sim card in paris ?

Would taking public transportation from the airport to Paris be efficient ?
>>
Thanks for the tips guys, OP here.

>>1153663
Yeah I totally get what you're saying. It's hard to objectively judge whether I'm talented or not but I am passionate and I'm definitely poor, I'll be staying cheap on airbnb and looking to live reasonably cheaply, probably doing some English tutoring for cash. I've got no problem with just approaching people, I'll check out smaller bars like you said and hopefully meet the 5% who aren't pseudos.

>>1153816
I don't have much of a problem as far as inspiration goes (touch wood), I'm glad 5th arrondissement is a good start. Any recommendations as far as bars go?
>>
>>1154127
The RER train goes to Roissy Airport and connects with other metro lines. Go to the RATP website.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.