[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

England: London -> Bristol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Bristol_hotels_skyline.png (355KB, 1024x293px) Image search: [Google]
Bristol_hotels_skyline.png
355KB, 1024x293px
Hello there, first time poster on /trv/.
I'm going to visit England, specifically Bristol.
Are there any interesting places for sightseeing, bars, cheap but good restaurants?
I'm a student, so I won't have a huge amount of money when I get there, so try to think of more..cheaper options, thanks!
BTW: do you have any tips on how to get from London to Bristol? The train is pretty expensive, is coach the way to do it?
>>
>>1151089
http://uk.megabus.com/

The Megabus is usually much cheaper, with fares going as low as a few pounds if you book a few weeks in advance. Their adverts say they go as low as 50p, but I've never seen that in real life, but who knows you may get lucky. I've taken it a couple of times before and it's not really that much worse than a train, but a bit slower.
>>
>>1151270
That sounds good, thanks a lot friend
>>
>>1151089

>>1151270
100% what that guy said, much cheaper than trains in this country.

Sightseeing on a budget? The Bristol museum and gallery is free and is pretty good for a wide range of interests, otherwise check out "Mshed" which is a museum of just bristol history and is also free.

Obviously go check out the suspension bridge, its free, pretty impressive and has awesome views over the Avon gorge and Liegh woods.

Ashton court is pretty good if you want to see a shit laod of deer and again is good if you want a bit of a west country outdoors'y expeirnece without having to make an y real effort to travel out of the city too far. Also free.

Pubs: "The Apple" pub on a a boat docked in the harbour. Sells 14% alc cider thats a bit of a local love. "lock and weir" A fair distance from the centre, might need a bike or car, classic cottage pub on the river in the woods, sells frozen cider, beer garden out to the water and shit loads of local heron and wildlife. Looking for a young local crowd check out "start the bus" or anything on Gloucester road/stokes croft areas.

Also m8y, youd be doing yourself a massive injustice if you dont visit Bath. Its 10 minuites on the train to a historic as fuck roman city with natural hot baths and loads of nuts architecture if tis your thing. Only cost you a fiver/tenner to get there from bristol temple meads station, look it up!

Bristol zoo is also really good but its £15

If youve got a car or access to someone with one go check out "cheddar gorge". Biggest gorge in the UK, set in the mendips country side about 40 mins from centre of bristol. Its the shit.

Loads of ppl from trv seem to be making threads about bristol recently! Any particular questions about places ask and ill try answer.
>>
>>1151089

Take a day trip to Bath and see the Roman baths as its very close to Bristol.
>>
>>1151635
The museums and galery is free? Well, that definitely is a must see, thank you!
I've heard about The Apple and I simply cannot wait to try some local cider!
Oh, is there no public transport in Bristol? I mean, it's no problem, I could just rent a bike or something, but you know..
>>1151703 Told me about Bath as well..it does look interesting, but I have no means of transport around Bristol to get to Temple Meads and back.
Because of how far my accomodation seems to be, I'm trying to find another one, which would be closer to the center, but it's a bit harder than I imagined..
Thanks a lot for the ideas guys, helps me a lot!
>>
>>1151089
If you are visiting england, get yourself a nandos

not even memeing, its great, cheap and honestly somewhere you should go if you want an insight into english culture
>>
>>1152039
Nandos will give me insight into english culture? Hahaha, sure, I'll give them a try, thank buddy.
>>
>>1152039
Man nandos is delicious
>>
>>1152028
Of course there is public transport in Bristol, they have numerous local buses and trains to other parts of the country
>>
I just did a weekend trip from London to Bristol. Btw. I am a german student on vacation ;)
I took the train for 16 GBP each way - you could travel cheaper but it was a quick and last minute decision for me so i just bought the Tickets.

I slept at Bristol backpackers for 18 GBP per night. Great location and nice people but everything is small and crowded.

The tesco metro near the galleries shopping center is cheap for its location. Otherwise you could go to one of the larger superstores but these are not IN the center ;) one is about 20 mins walking distance from the center (south West of Bristol Temple meads)

once i grabbed an affordable breakfast close to the waterfront (bon appetit Bristol). Ohh and once there was a market at the waterfront you might want to check there for food aswell.

If you want something special for a day try grillstock ;) (expensive)

Always check tripadvisor in case you are unsure.

I hope that helps and enjoy your stay.
>>
File: 22522980.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
22522980.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
I wanna give a shout out to Baowow in Bristol. Great for Bao buns and other Chinese "street food" type stuff.

Also 'three brothers' burgers along the river is quite good.
>>
>>1152028
>but I have no means of transport around Bristol to get to Temple Meads and back.

walk? Bristol isn't very big.
>>
>>1152295
What this guy said, I live central and its a 10 minute walk to temple meads. Honestly weve got plenty of public transport but it can be a bit pricey and most people just walk. Out of the places you'll probably be going (centre, stokes croft, clifton, temple meads, etc) itd be a waste of time and cash to get transport.
>>
>>1152282
Thanks for sharing this dude.
I was thinking of sleeping in a hostel for backpackers, but because I don't want to worry whether somebody stole something from me while I was sleeping, I chose to sleep in "normal-ish" hotel instead.
Oh don't tell me there aren't Sainsbury's or Tesco anywhere near the centre? That seems a bit weird.

>>1152292
Thanks for the recommendation buddy. I've got no idea what bao buns are, but I could give them a try I suppose.

>>1152295
>>1152460
I suppose you guys are right. 2.whatever kilometres isn't that bad I guess.

Btw, do you guys know of any good cafés? You know, those that aren't on the main street or under the Costa/Starbucks brand. Basically "hipster cafés". I love visiting these because of the friendly atmosphere.
>>
File: resize.jpg (47KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
resize.jpg
47KB, 700x350px
>>1151089
If you can afford to splurge even a little, have a look at Hausbar (http://hausbar.co.uk/). It's a great little place, largely unadvertised and in the cellar of a hotel. You have to call ahead to book a seat as it's so cosy. The drinks are amazing, the staff are friendly and often give recommendations. Obviously a bit pricey, but even if you only have 1 or 2 drinks you will have a great time.
>>
>>1152742
I doubt I would have any spare money, even now that my friend might come with me. She loves cafés and stuff, so I can see me paying a lot of money in different cafés..
Thanks for the tip tho, I have it written down for future references :)
>>
>>1152028
you can get a day ticket on first buses as a student for just under £3. if you don't bring a student id it'll be £4
>>
>>1152292
chilli daddy desu senpai
>>
>>1152039
>not memeing
>recommending nandos
Cheeky chappy
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.