[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WWOOF thread number 3985847

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1470868930171.jpg (4MB, 3000x2245px) Image search: [Google]
1470868930171.jpg
4MB, 3000x2245px
I'm sure this is a fairly frequently asked question here, but I'm about to go WWOOFing for an etended period of time- in the UK and then in France.

How much do I really need to pack? I figured 2 changes of work clothes and 2 changes of normal clothes, plus a pair of boots, a rain jacket, and a sweater/coat are a good starting point. I've also got obvious stuff like hygiene, chargers for my laptop/phone, and a sleeping bag. Is there anything I'm missing? Do you guys think it's feasible for me to pack everything into a daypack and a 30l backpacker's pack?

Also, general WWOOF thread- I wanna hear about your experiences. I know /trv/ tends to look down on WWOOF but the positive stories I hear from a lot of other people seem to outweigh the horror stories I read on 4chan.
>>
>>1151069
I left a wwoof farm yesterday because the guy was a spastic judgemental asshole. Make sure you get along with the host
>>
>>1151076
Yeah, I've been e-mailing with the hosts back and forth a bit and it seems like it's kind of a bigger operation, so my hope is that even if the host is kind of a weirdo, my interaction with them won't be as close considering there will be more WWOOFers with me and it's on a bigger farm.
>>
>>1151078
Talk on the phone first. If you really want to do this you wan to make sure your host isnt a prick
>>
>>1151099
Alright, I appreciate the advice.

Is my packing list alright? I'm trying to keep it light as possible just because I'm a weight autist and enjoy pushing myself with stuff like that.

Also, have you WWOOFed before? I'm getting all fuckin hyped up just thinking about it, and wanna hear some neat stories. I understand that it's hard work, but I do hard work for a living so this could be fun for me.
>>
>>1151100
>have you WWOOFed before
Im the guy from the first comment. I ended up leaving a farm because the host was a petty asshole and wanted me to work 7 days a week on top of lecturing me over every small thing like i was a child in detention. But yeah make sure you talk to the host because mine advertised as being ""super laid back""
>>
>>1151069
WWOOFing vs Workaway.info?

I'd really like to travel and work on an organic goat farm, as I want to start one in the states.

Does anyone have experience with Workaway?
>>
>>1151158
Oh, I was mostly just wondering if you'd WWOOFed before that shitty experience. I'll definitely call up my host and talk to them for a bit beforehand.
>>
>>1151173
I know loosely about it. I didnt pay for a membership myself. however two friends I met while travelling found a hostel to work at in Spain thru workaway and I showed up at the hostel to stay for a day or two to figure out my life. The owner was some rich fellow who owned four hostels in town, mostly all maintained by workaway participants. offered me a job as well when we arrived. It was great and my experience was extremely chill. Worked 6 days a week 4 hours a day in exchange for almost complete lordship of two hostels. Saw the owner once a week. The manager was his young eastern European girlfriend who I fucked. Huge tourist city almost guaranteed completely full hostel every single night and would even sell the extra private rooms out under the table for bar money. 10/10 exp would play again.
>>
>>1151191
No first and last time. Next time i work on a farm you better believe im getting paid
>>
>>1151069
Why the fuck would anyone work 4-6 hours a day for room and board. Room and board in most of these countries is extremely cheap, if you really want to work while abroad get a TEFL and teach. Or be white and go teach in places like Cambodia without any kind of certification.

At least you'll be getting compensated more than just the value of room and board.
>>
>>1151236
I have worked harder for less m8

4-6 hours of work a day with (most) weekends off in exchange for 3 hot meals a day and a bed each night isn't a bad trade at all
>>
>>1151239
> I have worked harder for less m8

That's not something you should be proud of. Being a serf isn't admirable m8 and the trade really is shit
>>
>>1151240
I'm not proud of it, I'm simply stating that with my life experience, the trade isn't a bad deal in my point of view

it's fine not to enjoy WWOOF, but it's also annoying to see the same "why the fuck would anyone ever want to WWOOF because I see it as a bad idea" posts every time someone tries to have a thread
>>
>>1151236

>UK and then in France
>Room and board in most of these countries is extremely cheap

>UK
>Cheap
>get a TEFL and teach
>>
>>1151236
>Or be white and go teach in places like Cambodia without any kind of certification.
Iwanttobelieve.jpg
>>
>>1151239
Niggah i worked 7 days a week with 1 day off every now and then and the meals where as Jewishly cheap as they could make them. Just make sure you have a passion for farming
>>
>>1151245
It depends on what farm you choose, right? The place I contacted says it's a 6 hour a day, 5 day a week schedule

either way I really enjoy working outside with my hands, so I ain't too worried
>>
>>1151239
>i have worked harder for less
good proletarian
>>
>>1151194
lol goddamn son, you definitely made the most of that situation.

I'm actually interested in opening my own organic goat farm, so I would be more aiming towards working on one of those, but you make a hostel sound pretty sweet.
>>
>>1151333
I mean I was in the army, so I guess your picture still works
>>
are there any alternatives that are more like larger communities where people work for fun than this slave trading shit? I have read so many negative stories! It's not like I don't want to work, but I also want to have a good time and meet friends!
>>
>>1151968
Go to a hostel if you dont want to work but want to safe $$
>>
>>1151968
You're only gonna hear about horror stories online, the people who had a blast either don't post about it or do so in their obscure blogs that no one reads

WWOOF horror stories are much like yelp reviews- they're real and probably actually happened, but people only ever want to talk about their experience when it ends up being shitty

best way to avoid a WWOOF shitshow is to communicate with the host before you get there and agree on terms such as accommodation, work hours, work duties, etc

also avoid the american south at all costs when WWOOFing
>>
>>1151971
Avoid the american nation when WOOFING**
fixed. wwof in a country like france or italy or any small country with good transit because wwoofing in america means being stuck on a farm
>>
>>1151979
I want to add one more bit, avoid the USA when WWOOFing except for Hawaii, every time I read about someone's experience on the islands it always sounds like a fucking blast
>>
>>1151969
I have absolutely nothing again working, but I want collaboration, teamwork, a friendly atmosphere. Perhaps woofing is not for me? perhaps there are more community farms where I'd belong better?
>>
>>1153226
wwoofing can still be for you- it's just all about where you pick to wwoof

just contact the farms and speak with them on the phone a few times to get an idea of what kind of host you're coming across

and if you hate it, you're more than welcome to leave at any time
>>
File: Abhayafilm-35.jpg (387KB, 650x431px) Image search: [Google]
Abhayafilm-35.jpg
387KB, 650x431px
>>1151968
I've never done WWOOFing, but I've spent some time at a Abhayagiri monastery in California, of Ajahn Chah's lineage. You can't really decide to stay there for a long time without having a good relationship with the community (first visit is 10 days max if you're out of state), but the sense of community is great, everybody works together. It's free and you get two meals a day (breakfast and a big lunch) and stay in your own cabin. On top of that is the spiritual aspect, it's a great internal experience. Christians and the non-religious have stayed there with no issues. Totally recommended. Abhayagiri.org

Pic totally related.
>>
>>1151979
You'll be stuck on the farm wwoofing in any country. Farms are located, well, in rural areas, so commuting to the city every day is not possible because you have to work during the day. At most you'll get out to the city on the weekend.
>>
>>1151244
It's true though. You can actually do it, it's one of the few places left where you can reliably get a job without any skills besides your race, though I here smaller cities in China will usually give you one illegally if you just show up.
>>
>>1154085
Not entirely true, the place I'm WWOOFing at is like a 30 minute bicycle ride into town at most. It just really depends on where you choose for your farm.

Of course, I don't choose to go to town every day and would rather just hang out on the farm after work sometimes, but I get out on the weekends as much as possible.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.