[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, New to this forum so bear me while I give this my shot!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: India.png (95KB, 918x1024px) Image search: [Google]
India.png
95KB, 918x1024px
Hello, New to this forum so bear me while I give this my shot!

Me, my best friend and my girlfriend needs to cut the ties to our western world. We have in mind migrating to India, and investing in some form of house/roof at the country side removed from all the big cities.

Reading up online about rules in India and such it comes to my attention that there seem to be very strict rules regarding what is possible, but still no clearance from the information online. So I'll start this thread off with some basic question which hopefully can become more advanced as knowledgeable people enters:

*Is it possible to get a "permanent" residency in India?(More than 6 month visa)
*If yes, how?
*Is it possible to become a legal tax paying citizen and be given the permission to own property, i.e house, bungalow, or any other roof above the head and some private space--On the country side as mentioned.

Blessed be you who can provide insights in this subject, any experience is welcomed in this thread!
>>
>>1149966
http://boi.gov.in/

If you cannot find what you want easily, rop them a line.
>>
>>1149966
>>1149966
>>1149966
I wouldn't go in India, shittiest third world country I've been to and I've been to Nigeria. I would recommend SE Asia, nice cozy friendly locals who know cleanliness. Indonesia, Thailand or Burma are good options, cheap as hell too
>>
>>1150152
Thanks I'll check it out!

>>1150163
How do I get permanent residency there? I'm like momas boy with literally no experience of the world.. so I basically know zero about moving, migration etc..! Thanks for input
>>
>>1150312
>>1149966

I've lived in India for two years.

If you're a momma's boy with no experience of the world, I'm guessing that you're probably pretty young. Am I incorrect in guessing that you have neither the savings nor the educational qualifications necessary to support yourself comfortably and long-term? Contrary to whatever you might think, you cannot skate by happily and easily on a couple hundred dollars per month in India. There is virtually no way that you'll obtain any visa which lets you stay for more than 6 months per visit if you have no money to invest, employable skills, or significant savings. You'll just be another "India hippie" who haggles over plates of noodles with poverty-stricken street vendors.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that.

What I'm getting at is this: /trv/ has a lot of posters like you, who are fresh out of college or high school and want to know "how to move to Europe" or "how to move to Japan" or whatever else. I can't remember any of them ever actually doing what they were talking about, because they're basically just using /trv/ as an outlet for their fantasies.

My suggestion is this: go to India, go to Thailand, and travel a little bit before you start having dreams of packing up and moving off overseas. Finish college if you haven't already.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but the hard truth is that no other society in the world is going to want somebody without an education or without skills or without money. Do you have the finances or qualifications necessary to take an Indian apartment or Indian job from an Indian? Do you merit more than a 1-month eVisa?

I'm not trying to discourage you. I just want to make sure that what you're thinking about doing is even realistic in your case before I answer anything else. Totally sick of /trv/ threads about this where the OP stops replying after a day and never comes back.

Anyway only advice I can give you is to actually go to India first. I love it; others don't.
>>
>>1150344
Just wanted to let you know that tip of my fedora goes to you for such an adequate and reasonable post
t: Passing by
>>
>>1150344
>You'll just be another "India hippie" who haggles over plates of noodles with poverty-stricken street vendors.
>Of course, there's nothing wrong with that.

That sounds like hitting the rockiest of rock bottoms.
india is prolly the shittiest of shitholes
>>
>>1150344
You are correct Sir and I feel what you are saying. After some consideration maybe I'll just start with moving to Spain.

I live in Sweden right now, I'm 24 with basically no legit education that my 14 years of computer skills I've gained myself.

Although, I'm actually quite robust and believe in myself that I actually could survive anywhere. But I see your point and India might be a too big of a leap than Spain (Eu to Eu).

Me and my girl got like 6000€ saved up and really want to movie to make the last part of "growing up" after having been curled all life.. As I said I got some stable ground in my character and have a lot of courage etc, so that part is not a problem. It's just that growing up in a poor family I've not seen much of the world, and I know by online research that India is a completely different culture and way of life than the comfortable western world has to offer.

The reason either Spain or India was appealing was the all year round hot sunny climate, which I somehow feel that I want anything more in the world, unlike Scandinavian dull grey depressing weather..

So I'm really grateful and humble for you taking your time to make such great answer to me.. it helps me more than you actually could know!!
>>
>>1150455
Avoid india. indians are very ugly people both physically and spiritually.
>>
>>1150353

Thanks m8

>>1150455

India isn't hot and sunny all year-round. I'm actually in Chicago Midway Airport right now, getting ready to head over Delhi. Mid-August is the tail-end of the monsoon season. Most parts of the countries get at least two or three months' worth of soaking in the summertime or the fall, depending where in South Asia you are. The winters in the north can get downright chilly, although the South is, of course, more pleasant. The other side to that coin is that you'd need a while to get used to the heat and humidity of Mumbai or Delhi in the summer. It's awful and nasty, and that's the one thing I'm not looking forward to when I arrive Tuesday night and wake up to go out and meet friends on Wednesday.

6,000 Euros isn't really that much. Given, it's a fair amount for India, but I'm not sure how long it'd last you with two people. In my opinion, and from my experience, you can be generally comfortable on about $20 USD per day in a city like New Delhi, where you might be able to find a decent to nice one-bedroom apartment for between $100 and $500, depending on how long you're renting for and what you can afford. INR 6,000 can get you a pretty massive multi-bedroom flat in Noida, with the downside being that you'll be in Noida and have to pay for all of your own furnishings. You'll also be in Noida - I can't stress that enough. Noida isn't awful, but there's shit-all to do and see.

If you find a reasonable flat, you can probably eat, take the Metro, and just kind of exist for $10-$15 per month, rent inclusive and divided by 30 days. However, you won't be having much fun with activities or going out - you'll exist, will likely make friends, and can survive for about ten months. You'll have to harshly budget.
>>
>>1150455
>>1151063

Also, bear in mind that as tough as you may be, going from living a Western lifestyle to being practically broke in India isn't very easy to do. You'll miss a lot of things and get frustrated by shit you've never even considered. If you aren't in a good apartment building, you'll probably have multiple power outages and water shortages in summer. I remember my apartment used to sometimes get five minutes of water in the morning and then five minutes at night. Sometimes I'd have to go take the Metro to a friend's hotel and bathe there, because the water would never come on at all.

Your ground floor apartment will flood in monsoon if it's a crappy apartment, you'll have awfully nosy neighbors, and a landlord who may or may not try to milk every possible rupee out of you every month. One of mine kept insisting that my rent increase whenever I paid her. Of course, I always said no, but it go to the point where I just packed up my shit and left without telling her.

Also, everybody will think you're a stupid foreigner and try to overcharge you massive amounts for crap that's dirt cheap back home. Had one dude show me the shittiest fucking apartment imaginable and then ask for $1,000 per month plus a $400 brokerage commission.

Not a huge deal in the moment, but having stuff like that happen day in and day out really wears on you.
>>
>>1151065
>>1151063
>>1150507

Lastly, ignore the trolls.

India is a clusterfuck, but there are ten decent people for every touting jackass. The culture can be hard to get used to, but young, middle-, and middle-upper class Indians are generally very friendly and sociable folks. Can't generalize, of course, but I've made a handful of great friends just from running into them on the street.

If you do end up going just to visit, avoid tourist ghettos like Delhi's Paharganj. I have no idea why backpackers love that place, because it's a just, festering mass of shit - I think because it's dirty and crowded, they think it's the "Real India," even though local Indians go there to stare at all the bullshit and foreigners, too.
>>
>>1149966
>needs to cut the ties to our western world
why? did you murder someone?
>>
>>1150163

Burma / Myanmar is cheap to live in terms of food, cigarettes and beer but apartment rental in Yangon is obscene, unless you're living illegally (foreigners must register their address) in a palm frond shack in Dala.
>>
>>1150344
Hey senpai going to India in two weeks for a 6 month stay. Did you get the rabies or jap e vaccines ?
>>
>>1151066
You say avoid Paharganj and I see your point, you are in a more permanent position in New Delhi, however I want to meet other backpackers for possible travel companions. Wouldn't it make sense to stay there a bit where most other backpackers are located/starting their trips?
>>
>>1151583

Can't remember if I got the rabies vaccine or not. I'm leaning towards "no," and I'm positive that I passed on the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine, too. I did get a tetanus booster, Hepatitis A vaccination, and an orally ingested Typhoid vaccination. I brought malaria pills on my first trip but have never bothered with them since. I suppose I might again if I ever end up spending an extended period of time in a very rural area, but I've not seen a single mosquito since arriving this week.

>>1151585

I suppose so. I just don't think it's a great first impression and is a big part of the reason why so many backpackers seem to hate Delhi despite not having spent much time around.

There are other hostels and guesthouses around the city. I've stayed at The Hosteller in Saket and it's very nice. Lots of dorms and private rooms. All the dorms are air conditioned as well. Rate per night is roundabouts $5 for an eight-or ten-bed.

But yeah, I see your point too. It's centrally located and has easy access to a lot of touristic sights and restaurants. Just bear in mind if you do stay there that isn't very representative of the city as a whole. Virtually every Indian who tries talking to you is going to try luring you off to a shop or tourist office, save for folks you might meet in bars. However, I know a number of tourist touts and several can and do follow "good" targets into restaurants to strike up conversations with them. I saw a guy from Chicago get "befriended" by a tout, who showed him around Delhi for half the day, took him out for breakfast, and then fleeced him at the "Official Government of India Tourist Bureau." I was at the office when the guy figured out what happened, and he started screaming and crying and ran out the door. I saw them "help" backpackers who had "canceled trains" (a favorite lie) and "save" them by rebooking them car-and-driver tours to wherever they wanted to go.
>>
>>1152135

Basically, just expect to get ripped off in little ways every day and be on guard against the big rip offs.

You won't have those problems if you stay just about anywhere else. Even Karol Bagh isn't quite as bad.

Also, beware: expect to be told that your hotel has been burned down, Muslims are rioting, or some other stupid shit if you opt to take a taxi from the airport. Haven't had any issues with the prepaid booth at IGI, but you'll have guys trying to tell you "night charge isn't included, sir" and other loads of crap.

Auto-walas are always awful, even for Indians. Went to Paharganj today and was feeling sick so I caught a ride to CP. I didn't want to pay more than 30 Rs, since that's the base fare and it's only a 10-minute walk. One guy took me after a while, laughed his ass off, and told my Indian friend in Hindi that normally foreigners will pay 50 rs or 100 rs for the ride.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. Jet lagged and not sure what I'm going to be doing tomorrow, so I'm just trying to keep myself entertained.

tl;dr - Paharganj is indeed good for meeting budget backpackers. Otherwise, it's a festering shit-hole in which you'll feel like a walking wallet every single day.
>>
Aw yeah, Indianon, I remember you from past threads. It's always nice to watch you speak/hear you write about India. I've never been myself, but I'd like, sometime.
>>
>>1152135
Thanks anon excited to be there soon.
>>
>>1150455
Have you been in Sweden all your life?
>>
>>1152379

Let me know if you'll be in Delhi.

>>1152179

Thanks senpai. Little autistic about Delhi but it's only because I love the place. Paharganj honestly isn't too bad - you just have to get to know the people first. It's rough for first timers and can give an awful impression.
>>
>>1152468
I will be... I arrive September 2nd.
>>
>>1152643

I'll probably still be here as well. Not sure what my schedule is, but I'll likely be in Delhi unless I end up going on a motorbike trip to Leh then.
>>
>>1150344
Bullshit. i've been to India and Nepal as backpacking teenager and the fact is that tourism brings alot of money to the country.
>>
>>1152751

What the fuck are you even replying to in that message, you autistic fuck?
>>
>>1149966
India is a big country. Stick to southern India (kerala etc)where people are educated & hospitable. North and west have terrible poverty and rampant illiteracy.
>>
>>1150163

wanting to emigrate before youve even travelled is like wanting to run a marathon before youve ran a mile.

its a big decision, bigger than you probably realise. your entire life is effected by this, india has poor hospital care, it has alot of diseases you're not gonna be immune to. you will have no friends or family to help you, phone calls home will cost a fortune. food quality is not great. they do not have toilets they have squatting holes. they do not have workers unions nor do they have proper work safety governing bodies so work is alot mroe dangerous there and if injured compensation will be meagre at best.

india is a third world country you must be prepared that its not a comfortable place to live, its not all sunshine, spices, and deep colourful religious culture, its alot of poverty, sickness and brown water. and you need to be prepared for that
>>
>>1154078

Ignorance - the post
>>
>>1154157
Why don't you point out exactly what is wrong with that person said, instead of shouting "wrong!"? Even if he is wrong, he's trying to be helpful. Your one word rebuttal can't be of use to anyone
>>
>>1154169

Not that guy, but there is a lot wrong with it. While I do agree with the sentiment that it's stupid to want to emigrate to a place without ever having visited, it should be pointed out that much of what that post detailed is incredibly easy to avoid on even a modest budget in India. That's especially true if you're staying in an apartment or a halfway decent locale, as I'm supposing a person who actually "moves" to another country might.

>poor hospital care

A lot of the private hospitals are great and not particularly expensive.

>a lot of diseases

Not really. Most of the problems travelers have are in regards to the foods they eat. You get used to it quickly.

>no toilets!!!

What the fuck are you on? Poor people have squatting holes; anybody who pays more than $100-$200/month in rent is going to have a toilet and bidet. Trains even have squat toilets and Western toilets alike.

>working

True for some companies and not true for others.

Honestly, it is an ignorant post. There's a lot of wealth disparity in India. If you have a modest budget by Western standards and are planning to stay long-term, you don't have to deal with a lot of the inconveniences.

I could easily have written a lot of the same crap about Thailand, but "Le Ladyboi Sex Tourist Expats" would go berserk.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.