[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/trv/ packing and purchases

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: wifi.gif (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wifi.gif
27KB, 500x500px
I'm going to Iceland on Monday for two weeks and I haven't prepared as well as I could have. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow so lets assume I own nothing, I walk in there wearing underwear, white shirt, and some shitty flip flops, what should be on my shopping list?
>>
>>1149764
Smartphone and charger.
Good backpack that can fit as a carry on.
Microfiber towel.
Small pouch with basic toiletry stuff, meds and condoms if you're able to score, unlike me.
One or two changes of clothes and more of underwear.
Shoes/boots.
One of these high end ziploc bags if you're autismo like me and prefer to keep reservations, maps and shit in paper form.

That's pretty much it. The rest depends on where you're going and how.
>>
>>1149774
Thanks friend
>>
>>1149774
You'll want a camera of some sort in Iceland, it is very photogenic. A jacket for evenings and a poncho for rain.
>>
>>1149774
>that can fit as a carry one

Not Op but what size is too big for a carryon, also why is everyone against checked luggage?
>>
>>1150384
>what size is too big
>for you
Depends on the airline. It should say on their website.
>>
>>1150384
I am not against checked luggage, but obviously if you travel light, might as well not have to deal with it.

Much of my travel involves hauling 100 pounds of gear to events, so obviously I usually have a couple or three checked bags. Never had any real problems.
>>
>>1150398
This, but note that if you have a leg on a small "feeder" plane, the actual max carry on you can really do might be smaller, and you might get stuff gate-checked.
>>
>>1150384
>why is everyone against checked luggage?
I'm not against people doing it per se (esp not business travelers who need nice clothes and all their work stuff), but personally I absolutely fucking hate waiting for hours like a dumbass at the carousel when I can be straight out doing shit.
Also every time I travel I realize I never need nearly as many things as I brought.
>>
>>1149764
The sun is way way bigger than that dimbulb
>>
>>1149774
You really shouldn't take your smartphone with you. Leave it at home and actually experience stuff. Print stuff out/ask people for directions.
>>
>>1150505
It saved my ass way too many times for me to agree with that.
Also I take some pictures with it.
>>
OP here, leaving in a couple of hours.

Bringing:
clothes
>business, casual, shitstorm
>toiletries (in a pouch and plastic bag)
>electronics (netbook, international phone, chargers)

A year ago I bought a dual-sim android phone from China, it's honestly a piece of shit if it weren't for the fact that it supports an ungodly amount of carriers.

I took out $500 worth of ISK, I went through a money exchange but if I had some more foresight I would have signed up for a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card because it has no foreign transaction fees and Chase does free money exchanges.

>>1150505
I'm actually bringing two, my regular for photos because the camera is nice and a second one that actually supports the local carrier. If you're the type of person who is on their phone all day then maybe a dumb phone for emergencies is advised but I'd like to catch Mr. Mime, use google maps, look up local events.
>>
>>1149774

Didn't bring a smartphone when I went to Iceland. Hitchhiked around the Ring Road and then from London to Istanbul. Had a blast, despite having no technology aside from my camera. If OP is only going for two weeks, I don't think it's really necessary. Nothing wrong with having a phone, though.

>>1149764

30-35L backpack
Hiking boots
Waterproof jacket with good hood
Weather-resistant pants
Waterproof or weather-resistant hiking boots
Three to four shirts; not sure what the weather is like in Iceland and August, so probably mix of long sleeve and short
Weeks' worth of socks, socks are the one thing that you can't always wear day after day
Two pairs of long pants (jeans, whatever you're hiking in)
Toiletries and hygiene shit
Power plug converts, if you're from North or South America
>>
>>1151085
hey dude, not OP, but you bring way to much stuff. travel light, prepare for a longhall. who knows, maybe OP will travel through europe and hike to morroco and travel down to South Africa.
>>
>>1150505
Better yet, chisel a map out of stone
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.