[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leaving everything behind and starting over.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

Has anyone here ever done something similar?

In November I'll be leaving everything and everyone behind to start a new life in Ireland, starting my own business. I'll be living in central Dublin.

I've already got everything in place, but I'll be able to stay there for 3 months to decide if this is the place I really want to be. If I like it, I just put everything in motion and begin.

I had a lot of good things going here in America, but I've always wanted to just leave and go on an exciting adventure. Find a new home. To start over and see what I can do alone. If I fail or don't like it I don't even plan on going back home, I'll just go somewhere else.

Kinda scary yet exciting though.
>>
That's kind of the meme here. Plenty of Anons are interested and some of them say they've done it.

>starting your own business
What's your starting capital, friend?

Overall of course it is possible, just unlikely because if you're running away from personal issues - in one form or another - they will follow.

>etc

Check and double check visa requirements and how much to get a business one that will allow you to stay more than 3/6/9/whatever months.
>>
>>1147558
Out of my own funds I have $85,000 after paying for a place to stay for 3 months, flight, etc. Not running from personal issues, really gonna miss my family and friends, but it's all kinda complicated. Better to do it now while young and in a good spot than 5 years from now when I'm 30.

I ran my own business here, but passed it off to my older brother once I made all the preparations. The Irish embassy told me that it should be pretty easy for me to stay there as long as want, but that's a very simplified version of the conversation. They were actually reallllllly helpful and accommodating.
>>
Not at all wanting to hijack, but wanting to participate as I have yearned for many years to leave America myself. I'm currently in the process of leaving Austin, TX to move back with my family in Ohio. I won't clog the thread up with my reasons, but I have them.

My great grandmother was from Ireland. My mom has contemplated getting an Irish passport. Does anyone know if its possible for me to piggyback off of her and get an Irish passport? I also have tons of distant family in Canada, albeit I have heard it's pretty difficult to immigrate to Canada, so I have contemplated using graduate school as a vehicle.

I wish there were a guide or a scale for difficulty immigrating. I'm sure places like Switzerland, Hong Kong, and Singapore would be near the top.
>>
>>1147570
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html
She might not even need to be registered: "If one of your grandparents is an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, but none of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register – see below."
>>
>>1147575
Wow thanks! I'll let her know when I talk to her tomorrow.

Off the cuff, know anything about Canada? I've heard it's substantially more difficult to move there than say New Zealand and Australia. As an American though...
>>
>>1147576
For an American, I'm not too sure. I'm Canadian myself and going off of what little I know, it'd be difficult for me to even get a work visa for your country. Normally, the agreements are bilateral. From the quick search I did, you first need to become a permanent resident which has its own set of requirements: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp
>>
>>1147594
I'm kind of banging my head lol I should have done it when I had the chance. I was admitted to McGill for undergrad...I should have went. Thanks for the insight.
>>
Actually interested in hearing more stories like this from anons that did it differently(no plan, semi plan, winging it with guidance, etc), or for anons that did it with a plan like OP is doing.

There's a big difference from moving to another state, Canada, or Mexico from the USA and moving to a completely different country across the ocean/other side of the world.
>>
>>1147566
how the fuck do you have 85,000 USD at 25?
>>
>>1148309
Owned my own business up until I passed it over and it was pretty successful. Also my parents letting me live with them as long as I wanted so I didn't have any real bills, rent to pay, etc is the biggest factor in being able to save that much.
>>
>>1148606
Just out of curiosity, what did your business produce?
>>
>>1148615
Website development and design, as well at IT. I didn't go to college or graduate HS due to shitty circumstances, but my family bounced back and I learned under my dad running his business for years and years. So basically I replaced normal education with specialized hands-on training.
>>
>>1148634
Every single person I've met who skipped education for training while working are much more well off than people who got an education and then started looking for their 1st job. Well done
>>
>>1147533
Yeah, I did it.

I saved up $15k, dropped out of university in America, moved to Germany, taught myself German, worked for 6 months, traveled for the last 6 months, and will begin an internship doing duales Studium with a German university in the fall. I'm aged 20 and did it alone.
>>
>>1147533
>central Dublin
>if this is the place I really want to be
>if I like it
>like it
>Dublin
bad news for you friend
>>
I want to do this by moving across the us. start new and Don Draper myself.
>>
>>1148876
>Yeah, I did it.

>I saved up $15k, dropped out of university in America, moved to Germany, taught myself German, worked for 6 months, traveled for the last 6 months, and will begin an internship doing duales Studium with a German university in the fall. I'm aged 20 and did it alone.

In a similar boat. I'm an american age 22 currently studying in Germany, been here for 2.5 years. My path was a bit different, I started at a preparatory college and worked my way up. Where did you initially work? Did you have any special qualifications? Normally its hard to find work and just come over unless you have a degree already.

Where and what will you be studying? I'm kinda close to Leipzig in a smaller city called Halle.
>>
>>1148309
Just adding onto this. It's pretty easy if you have a good job. I'm 27 with about 25k in the bank, and another 150k in various dividend stocks.
>>
>>1149027
what's wrong with dublin?
>>
>>1149203
>Where did you initially work?
Do you mean in Germany for 6 months? I wouldn't really call it a 9-5 job. I just ran errands and did things for some rich businessman whenever I saw him and he supplied me with money. He was kind of already an acquaintance of my mother's so he was more generous than he should have been. Gave me a few hundred Euros everytime we met, bought me things such as a laptop, and brought me on trips with him for free. I didn't do it for the money but rather to have something to do and to keep me occupied while I taught myself German. It was enough to pay my rent and food each month so I never really had to cut into the $15k I saved up.

>Did you have any special qualifications? Normally its hard to find work and just come over unless you have a degree already.
Well, this is what seperates me from you I'm guessing but I have German citizenship in addition to my American citizenship. My mother's side is German but I've always lived in the US and was never taught German. I don't really have any family here so that's a downside. I didn't need a visa or anything special. I just packed my bags one day and flew to Germany.

>Where and what will you be studying? I'm kinda close to Leipzig in a smaller city called Halle.
I live in Berlin now and have been for the last year. When I will begin studying I will study international business in Baden-Württemberg. Inb4 meme degree. I had studied Physics in America for a year and absolutely hated it. I can't bother with high level math so I wanted something easy and general that could have me working anywhere outside of America. Hopefully I'll begin in October if everything goes according to plan.
>>
>>1149600
Why don't you just fuck off since literally nothing in your post is relevant to this thread?
>>
>>1149603
Why don't you shut the fuck up and stick it up your ass buddy? I was replying to someone who had asked me questions. If you don't like it you can fuck off.
>>
>>1149600
>>1149603
>>1149730
Get a room you two, this is gross
>>
Do you guys think doing something like this requires serious balls? Especially if you're moving across the ocean. Planning/money and shit aside, leaving everything you know and love seems crazy.
>>
>>1149600
I was looking into going to university in Germany, I'm an American. Do you know any specific schools I should look into?
>>
>>1149819
Just tell your family your gay. If they live you they will except you. And mock you behind your back :3
>>
This is my current state of mind. Loved Ina town of 5000 people my whole life. Been all across US various family road trips, related to a condition I have. I'm 24, I'll be 25. I have horrible money management, I've had crazy security, I wanna be famous, writer, music, ambitions my whole life and this year it's like I've accepted who I really am. I'm not happy. I know it's my fault and only I can change it.

I'm going on a trip to meet a friend I've had for 7 years.

Shit. I hate and love this town and now I just wanna find my stride in life and I'm fuckjng terrified I'll just be stuck here... By my own dojng
>>
In a way, yes that's what I'm doing now.

I made 200k/yr as a high level software engineer but hated my life. Stress and working hours weren't bad but I had no social life for various reasons, and I never really liked the city.

After years of considering it I quit my job, packed up my stuff into storage, and travelled around the world. I'm currently on month 9 of the trip and see it as one of the best decisions I've ever made.

After my trip, I've realized I can't go home and do the same thing, regardless of the money. I'm going to continue traveling as a digital nomad, making far less but getting much more out of life before I decide to settle down.

All that said, I don't think this is a good idea for most people. If you don't have the savings to weather some storms or you don't have skills that will allow you to get re-employed easily, then don't do it.
>>
If you enjoy crap weather for 11.5 months of the year Dublin is the place for you. I'd spend three months travelling around the country meeting people and getting a feel for it first. Plenty of nicer places in Eire than Dublin.
>>
>>1149819
It's easy when you dont think about what you left behind, if you are the type that misses much and is just reading what your (old) friends do every weekend it's gonna be hard
>>
>>1149824
Well universities aren't really a big thing in Germany. Only 11% of Germans attend a university here. The rest go into techinical training or to a Hochschule.

I can't even help you until you tell me what you want to study. That's like saying, "I want to study in America what are some good universities?"
>>
Quick question about citizenship as I am hoping to do the same "Fuck it, see what's out there" thing as OP

Father was born in Croatia, if I learn the slav speak can I get citizenship?
Also my mother's side is Irish but she was born in Australia, as was I but apparently I was conceived in Ireland, is it worth trying to get an Irish passport?

Lastly what type of bank accounts are best for travelling?
>>
>>1149909
>if I learn the slav speak can I get citizenship?
Not possible. Slav languages are extremely difficult to learn if you don't already speak one slavic language.
>>
File: 1463725708464.jpg (484KB, 1278x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1463725708464.jpg
484KB, 1278x1052px
>>1149600
>yeah some guy literally just gave me all the money i needed to live

fuck why cant my life be like this
>>
I'm Mexican and I moved to Spain when I was 19 in order to go to college there, I graduated last year but couldn't stay due to some bureaucratic fuck up. I'm back in Mexico working to get into the Mexican Foreign service.

I would say that living abroad for 5 years was the best decision I've ever made, I definitely got out of my shell and became more independent.

OP I wish you good luck!
>>
>>1150317
You ready to loosen that boipussy for fat $$$ m8?
>>
>>1149517
not that anon but Dublin is dirty and boring and has next to zero real culture
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 480x476px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 480x476px
I'm a Canadian physical therapy student looking to move to Montana after working for a couple of years in Canada.
Does anyone here know anything about graduate degree professionals immigrating to the USA?
>>
>>1149920
This isn't really an answer. Is still an Indo-European language, which means it wouldn't be as hard as learning Mandarin or Farsi or Hindustani or something. Why would you say it's impossible? It's difficult, but people learn languages all the time it just takes determination.
>>
>>1152750
But Farsi and Hindustani are also Indo-European languages.
>>
>>1149840
I think it can be a good way to push yourself. I'm nothing special and I managed to move to the UK from Canada with almost no money and managed to get settled, do my masters, and build a career. The first few months of living in a cockroach-infested shithole weren't great, but I lived.
>>
>>1152750
You obviously have never taught yourself a language before. If your native language is not a slavic language then you can just about forget learning Croatian or anything similar.

Seeing how he is Australian I would assume his native language is English. English has no cases, no genders, and a relatively easy tense system. On the other hand, Croatian has SEVEN cases and also THREE genders. This means every single noun has a different way to say the word "the" that you must memorize and each of those "the"s change depending on the case. Since there's seven cases and three genders you have a 1 out of 21 chance of guessing the correct way just to write the word "the." And then there's so many rules, rule exceptions, sounds that don't exist in English, grammar tendencies, etc.

In the end you'll be learning Croatian, or any slavic language, for years and years and will never acheive native tier fluency. Now some Croatian guy might come by and tell me I'm a bit wrong but this is just what I can tell you as someone who has taught themself multiple languages, is familiar with slavic languages, and read an outline of the Croatian language briefly.
>>
>>1152849

Boo friggedy hoo.

Everything is possible. You have no idea how flexible the human mind can be.
>>
>>1149207

>better cash out stock
>cause markets will crash soon
>seriously

>thank me later
>>
I want to do this but I'm afraid about finding a job/money. I am 20, poor and didn't study.
>>
>>1152913
>trusting market tips from someone who doesn't even greentext properly
>>
>>1152893
Anything is possible, including learning some of the most difficult languages in the world, but expecting a drop out Australian on 4chan who wants to learn Croatian is not likely.

Boo friggedy hoo it is possible for you to lose weight and have contact with a female but we all know that won't be happening anytime soon.
>>
>>1153496
Well actually I finished highschool m80
>>
>>1147570
my roomate is irish trying to get a canadian citizenship. You gotta do jump through some hoops to pull it off and it takes a fucklong time to get it completed. One of the tasks is giving every address you've lived in for the last 10 years and a medical history record. Right now is possibly the worst time to try it out because our immigration department is focusing on syrian refugees.

apparently getting a 1-2 year working visa is somwhat easy but they recently changed certain laws that restrict foreign workers. not sure of all the details but they've really tightened things up in the last few years. not sure why, we need more temporary workers to fill in the holes that lay empty due to all the lazy crazy people in this country.
>>
After years of thinking about it I'm about to leave everything behind and spend the next few years of my life traveling. In 2 weeks I'm leaving for Australia where I will spend a year or 2 on a work holiday. I plan on working 2/3 of the time and traveling 1/3. Asia after that.

I'm in a good place in life where I think it's good that I didn't pull the trigger on this a few years back. My bank account is not empty, my mindset is starting to become clearer, I have a job where I can come back within 10 months so if things don't work out.

The only thing I'm unsure about is what exactly I want to accomplish on this trip. I have 2 things that are a major issue in my life. I don't exactly know what I want to do with the rest of my life and where I want to be to accomplish that. I hope that somewhere along the way a lightbulb pops up over my head and I figure out what my calling is and I find a place that matches my goals where I can stay for a longer period of time. My other issue is that I want to get a masters degree at some point down the line but once again I don't know where and in what subject. My grades in university were mediocre, I got a 3.2gpa the last 2 years but my first 2 were very low (embarrassing low) so I will likely not get into great schools. Hopefully I can figure something out.
>>
>>1147533
one thing I can tell you is that you'll get homesick about two months in, you'll work really really hard to have everything ready but will inadvertently forget something important, and it's going to be hard
>>
When I was 22 I left everything behind and put all of my belongings in a single bag.

I spent 22-23 backpacking and then spent 23-25(now) building two successful businesses in Vietnam.

Just do it and don't look back.
>>
>>1147570
Your mom is good. You are screwed, sadly. I'm in the same boat.
>>
>>1149840
What do you do for health insurance?
>>
>>1152769
Everyone forgets this.
>>
>>1147566
Be honest, you're a trust fund baby. You had everything handed to you from your rich parents who half assedly tried to claim you "earned" it
>>
I feel like the romantic aspects of "starting over abroad" aren't really attainable anymore with social media and cheap travel. I have lots of friends who did this and even moved to the other side of the world but it didn't really seem like they were gone (and they're back now). I moved 3000 km to the other side of the country and didn't really feel like I was disconnected but maybe it has to be more drastic.

I'm considering moving to the UK once I finish grad school. Is it worthwhile or is the UK as bad as this board makes it out to be? Moving to the US (see below) seems impossible and Australia and New Zealand are too damn far.

>>1152441
Yeah, it's a giant pain in the ass. I'm too lazy to google it for you but from memory you have a few options: if your job is on the NAFTA list, you can show up at the border and have a visa approved for you. The bad news about this is that it isn't a dual intent visa, meaning you can't go directly from this status to the green card and you have to keep renewing it. Your other options are H1B and EB2 visas, which can bring you on a pathway to green cards but are a significantly larger pain the in ass. Ironically, it'd be better if you were from a shit hole country with no cultural ties to the US because you could enter the green card lottery and win after a while. It's a bitch as a Canadian - I'm in the same boat, but what can you do?
>>
Moved first to another European country after which I moved to Australia. I never quite found my place and will be returning to Sweden one day in the future.
>>
>>1154568
>considering moving to the UK
I don't get it, why would you randomly decide to move somewhere? Clearly you know nothing about the place aside from some dank memes.
>>
>>1154790
I'm eligible for the UK ancestry visa and the only languages I speak are English and French so my options are pretty limited otherwise
>>
>>1154133
you sound like a fucking dickhead. do you talk like that to everyone you meet? I'm surprised no one had knocked your teeth out yet
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.