[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get over my fear of flying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: crashed_plane.jpg (434KB, 1500x1118px) Image search: [Google]
crashed_plane.jpg
434KB, 1500x1118px
How do I get over my fear of flying?
>>
Crash a plane.

When you survive, you'll see that there's really nothing to be scared of.
>>
>>1147441
Just learn about it from a scientific standpoint. I doubt many people would be worried about turbulence if they knew what it actually was for example.
>>
>>1147450
Well then what is it you quantumfag?
>>
Did you know that you can penetrate the body of the plane with a pencil? It's from 1.5mm to 2.5mm thick!

If a ramp agent bumps the plane and leaves a dent it might implode in air.

If a ramp agent doesn't tie down the cargo then it might slide mid air and make the airplane shift position, for example to a nosedive.

A lot of pilots dont get enough sleep, so they might dab off between the sticks!

Happy travel!
>>
>>1147457
The cargo part is true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo51Be2jL8c
The pencil part isn't. I mean yes you can easily pierce the skin, but it's not going to make the plane explode. It would just be really fucking expensive to fix and you'd get arrested and put on a no-fly list and the plane would have to be taken out of service.
>>
>>1147463
Easily some of the best footage captured in human history.

So it was due to cargo placement/loading?

Also, did they ever release black box audio? I suspect the pilots would be quite calm, a couple of 'fucks' like in the dashcam footage.
>>
>>1147441
We get this thread like once a week now...
You get rid of it the same way you get rid of any irrational fear, man up and confront it
Now go away
>>
>>1147489
It was like tanks in the cargo hold and one of them wasn't secured. That one knocked into the one behind it and broke its fastening, starting a chain reaction until all the tanks were in the very back of the cargo hold and the plane was too back heavy to maneuver, that's why the plane is just pointing up.
>>
>>1147463
At least if you die like this it'll be relatively painless.

But isn't flying statistically safer than driving?
>>
>>1147441
Just get on an airplane.
>>
Reminder that water landings are pretty much a meme and you will die. Most likely crushed by the back of your seat as the guy behind you flies forward at high speed. You will be pinned there, your ribs and spine shattered, blood filling your torn lungs as you struggle to breathe. You will die listening to the screams and wails of the other passengers who weren't lucky enough to die instantly.

Happy flying :)
>>
Tbh how do I get over the fear that my flight will be cancelled tomorrow night?

>same flight canceled last night
>my flight tomorrow is under booked
>>
Take short, hour long, fights until you stop being a pussy.
>>
>>1147687
Wouldn't recommend this. The short flights I've been on have always been the shakiest and most distressing. Turbulence that makes flight attendants look nervous. Turns that make your body parallel with the earth
>>
>>1147441
I've had a fear of flying since I was 13 - I'm 25 now and still not over. Even with psychiatrist visits and acclimatization (I did planespotting and toured an airplane with the captain)

Even after learning all the scientific stuff I was still scared, mostly due to a fear of heights.

The only thing that helped me was anti-anxiety medication and/or drinking alcohol.
>>
>>1147687
Short flights are the worst. I nearly pissed myself when I flew from Serbia to Montenegro.

As for OP's problem, it could be solved by going to some therapy sessions for your phobia. Some flight companies have it and they even have pilots come over and talk. It has a high success rate in making people become comfortable with planes.

Other option are to take pills that help with the anxiety. I'm a bit afraid and I think about the statistics to calm me down
>>
File: 152.jpg (273KB, 1758x1194px) Image search: [Google]
152.jpg
273KB, 1758x1194px
>>1147441
Get someone to take you for a ride in a Cesna 152 on a windy day.

Have them put you in a couple steep turns and maybe some power on stalls. If they put it into a spin then I guarantee you'll never be afraid to get in a large commercial aircraft ever again.
>>
>>1147441
I have always been a little afraid, but I used to travel over the pacific pretty often. Recently though I have developed a panic disorder and I have panic and anxiety even going up a tall building or over a bridge. its fucking stupid. I am supposed to travel with my gf next year around Asia, but idk if I will be able to. what do?
>>
>>1147694
Really? So what do you take, and how much? How does it work for you? Very curious to know because my plan is to take like 3-5 mg of Lorazapem/Ativan before flying. That or many many drinks.
>>
>>1147717
Somehow I don't think fear of flying can be cured by excess.
>>
>>1147732
I still don't enjoy being in cesnas (even when im flying them) but have absolutely no problem with being in large commercial aircraft.
>>
>>1147678
>>1147457
What do you gain from this? How does it benefit you? You gain absolutely nothing, but you're intentionally trying to exacerbate someone's fear, which may be crippling and limiting their ability to enjoy things in life. What makes you want to hurt another person so bad? Why are you so full of hate? This really is evil, real evil. You may not think so, but no really hateful, horrible people ever imagine themselves as such. Take a long, long look at yourself and your life. I don't usually post, but I had to say this, as much as it will likely make you scoff in scorn.
>>
>>1147573
No, but scheduled commercial flying in the developed world is

Little shitty bush pilot runs are more prone to trouble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVM3RRd1vf0
>>
>>1147769
Welcome to 4chan, friend.
>>
What is the scariest part to you, op? I mostly have fear about going through the airport, since most everyone is a rude and in a hurry.
You could watch Youtube videos about how pilots fly. You could always take some meds before getting on the flight, and hopefully just sleep the entire way
>>
File: 1393246161954.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1393246161954.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
>tfw you have pretty much complete trust in the planes, the pilots and their abilities
>tfw you still have an incredibly hard time flying because badly claustrophobic
>>
I've been flying since I was a toddler. I am 22 now. More comfortable with it but it still freaks me out. For me it's a control issue. I am unable to calm down until I accept the fact that it's no longer in my hands which is usually about the time I reach cruising alt.
>>
>>1147573
Driving is statistically the most dangerous activity the average person does over the course of a year.
>>
File: 1456440144555.png (769KB, 1030x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1456440144555.png
769KB, 1030x1012px
>>1147441
>Flying to Japan in a few hours time.
>Woke up 3 am in the morning today
>My kitchen clock stopped working
>Got goosebumps
>Surf Facebook right now
>News about some afterlife attraction
>Come to 4chan to post about it
>>
Watch every episode of Air Crash Investigations.
>>
Alright OP, I never had a huge fear of flying, but I was anxious when I was younger. Once I started doing 100+ flights a year, any fear left. Yes, air accidents have happened, sometimes due to airline personnel error, but you have to understand how exceedingly rare that is. Just as you are more likely to die driving to the theme park than at it, air travel is exceedingly safe compared to other modes of transportation, especially driving.

For most people, fear of planes comes down to two things:
1) They aren't in control. This is really an irrational fear. Pilots go through shitloads of training on specific equipment, have rules on sleep and timeline, etc...
2) Turbulence makes some people worried. It's unavoidable some times, pilots have equipments and comms to try to miss most of it, the aircraft is designed around it, and if the weather is bad enough they just cancel the flight.

Some people find alcohol helps, but too much may make you nauseous, and it dries you out so it's not ideal for a plane. Some people get a prescription for a mild sedative/tranquilizer and find that helps a lot. Others load up their entertainment on their phones/tablets and find that focusing on that helps them.

If you have problems with the windows, then you'll probably want a window seat so you can close the window when you want. If it's anxiety about the ability to move, then get an aisle seat so you have the ability to get up during the flight.

>>1147693
>Wouldn't recommend this. The short flights I've been on have always been the shakiest and most distressing. Turbulence that makes flight attendants look nervous. Turns that make your body parallel with the earth
Speaking of turns that make you nervous, if you're nervous about flying I would recommend avoiding Reagan National airport in Washington. It's so close to the Capitol that aircraft need to make aggressive movements on takeoff/landing to show the government "Look, our plane is going nowhere NEAR the pentagon".
>>
>>1149264 here
Other tips:
>chewing gum or drinking fluid while changing altitude can help with popping ears from air pressure changes. There are also special earplugs that help with this.
>Drinking alcohol that you brought yourself (e.g. in 3 ounce or less containers) is not legal on a plane, but if you're not crazy drunk and discrete most flight attendants won't care. The easiest way to do it (if you want to risk it) is to buy a gatorade/coke/whatever and mix your drink in the bottle in the bathroom before boarding your flight
>airlines will tell you the size of the plane you're boarding before selling. larger aircraft are generally more stable during all phases of flight, which can reduce anxiety
>even in economy on domestic flights, most airlines will give you another non-alcoholic beverage if you get up and ask the FA or ring your call button - especially if you ask for water
>noise cancelling headphones can help with engine noise. sitting ahead of the engines will reduce the amount of noise you hear.
>sleep masks can be helpful to try to sleep/block the environment
>>
>>1147447
Big guy detected
>>
xanax mostly
>>
>>1147441
fly
>>
>>1147447
Part of me honestly thinks it'd be cool to be in a relatively relaxed aircraft incident.

i.e. an engine shuts down in flight or something, so you divert with the other one going. No major risk to your safet, but a cool story to tell others. Doubly so if you're not even delayed because it happens close to the destination airport.

Or maybe a runway overrun at like 20kts, though that doesn't capture the imagination of the listener as much as a mechanical failure.
>>
>>1149236
I did this before my flight to Copenhagen. Was an 8h flight, definitely helped.
>no joke
>>
>>1147441
It's the safest mode of transportation in human history, it's all in your head.

The root cause is fear of death, but death can happen at any time and anywhere if the right factors align.

You could die from slipping on a banana peel and braining yourself but you don't need to psych yourself up to take a step, right?
>>
>>1150799
>It's the safest mode of transportation in human history, it's all in your head.
What about hobbling?
>>
>>1150799
>The root cause is fear of death, but death can happen at any time and anywhere if the right factors align.
This. And, your desire to control things you can not control. Let go, let that pilot do their job and forget about it. Pick an airline with older seasoned, well-paid best in the industry pilots and within the airline, the larger equipment. If you are afraid of dying in a big way, get right with God or whatever is bugging your conscience. Then, just let go of those armrests and think about your nice trip, and your luck in life to be able to travel, etc.

I'd suggest that xanax is a good solution for occasional use. Headphones with your nice music. Packing well so you don't stress in the time before, during the flight about stuff that doesn't matter much (they have stores where you are going most of the time). Chew some gum or whatever you do to unwind. Take it easy on alcohol, I'd say. Knowing how to fly a plane might take some of the freakout about unknowns like turbulence. Go ahead and watch those documentaries "Why Planes Crash" on the weather channel, and notice how many experts talk about lessons learned, being saved by pilot skill and get even more informed!

Asian or middle east airlines? No thank you. Fly someone else. That's all you need to know.
>>
>>1150819
JAL seems ok, right? I really hope so.
>>
>>1147441
Growing up helps.
>>
>>1147441
>tfw afraid of turbulence
I grab onto the armrest every time the plane isn't 100% smooth sailing
I also always panic (on the inside) when the plane makes a turn
>>
>>1147463
>that kind of cargo shift on a passenger airplane
lol
>>
>>1150841
Pilot here

You'll be alright. It takes an idiot to crash a plane these days.
>>
>>1150914
and yet it happens all the time
>>
>>1150915
No it doesn't
>>
>>1149217
You'll be fine.
>>
Out of interest, is there any way to pay to fly on a cargo plane in a jumpseat or something or is that not allowed after the FedEx guy tried to kill the pilots with hammers? (and even he was an employee of the company, so nominally less risky than a random member of the public with more money than sense.)

Asking largely for planespotter-y reasons. I don't doubt it'd be more expensive, but where else are you going to find a DC-8 nowadays?
>>
>>1147441
Sounds you have low-T pal.

Do what I did, visit your health care provider and talk to a physician.
>>
>>1147441
Ive developed a fear ever since a guy i went to school with died on the Germanwings Flight with the crazy pilot. I'm fine with the mechanics, its the crazies that screw with me now, so i get drunk or turn up really hungover.
>>
>>1147457
>Did you know that you can penetrate the body of the plane with a pencil? It's from 1.5mm to 2.5mm thick!
bullshit.
I have worked at airbus and have an actual original hull part of a ww2 fighter ( t= ~1,0mm) here. It's not possible, you can believe me. a 1,5mm thick aluminium plate is definitely not punchable with any kind of pen.
Or at least show me one of your pencils.
>>
>>1150806
Loled so hard
>>
>>1147441
Let go of the false illusion that you have some form of control in a car, look at numbers and statistics and realize you're MUCH safer in a plane any day of the week.

It's all about being afraid that someone else MIGHT screw up. But the odds of this happening to you, especially in western Europe or North America are incredibly slim. Much slimmer than having some moron in a car ram you with 150 km/h on the highway.
>>
>>1151217
Is that the flight that went down because the pilot was sad that day? I have that fear, too. I know that flying is really safe but what if my pilot is just really bummed out that day, then everyone is fucked.
>>
>>1151455
>tfw pilots are allowed to fly with certain anti-depressants so long as they're clinically stable, but adderall gets a blanket ban.
it's just not fair.
>>
>>1151474
Get the union on that one, stat.
>>
>>1151217
>Ive developed a fear ever since a guy i went to school with died on the Germanwings Flight with the crazy pilot. I'm fine with the mechanics, its the crazies that screw with me now, so i get drunk or turn up really hungover.
That example should be a lesson to what airline you fly. The bottom of the barrel prices, lowest paid pilot salary is the least competitive. They knew that guy and his medical was to be completely ignored for pilot service, but hey, they were desperate. There is a pilot shortage out there. The major european airlines have training academies for goodness sakes, just trying to ensure their future success. They would be better off with the quality promotion model that an airline such as Delta uses, along with the highest possible salaries.

The shortage situation is worse every year, esp for Asia where demand grew fast. What most airlines do is half very very junior crew in the cockpit with one "real pilot." That's the middle east model too, someone who is related to the sheik, with a brit or american as captain. When you put in cultural differences in correcting someone, or pulling rank, you can explain about 15 crashes from that crap where you don't offend the copilot or captain if they're related to someone in government. If you shop the airlines that do it right, you could probably skip some of your "fear" issues and let go.
>>
>>1151494
>There is a pilot shortage out there
Isn't it mostly a meme?

My understanding is that there are plenty of people who've got the relevant licences (Maybe fATPL due to not enough hours), but a lot of them don't fly because there's no way they're going to fly long periods and sleep on a piss-stained mattress in the middle of nowhere for the same wage as a McDonalds cook. Particularly when they've got debt to pay off.

(Plus the increased hour requirement following the Colgan crash.)
>>
>>1147441
I never did tbqh, however, I did get over my fear of death.
>>
>>1149264
Why do you fly so much?
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.