[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Booking 2 seats? …and stying sane in cattle class general, I guess

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: 787.jpg (158KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
787.jpg
158KB, 1280x850px
My dearest /trv/,

I'm on a 10 hour flight with a friend soon, and I guess that flight would be a bit more enjoyable when I am sitting next to her.

Problem is: We booked at different vendors (I'm directly with the airline, but it turns out the flight is a code share) and she's with some reseller, so we can't just simply book seats in advance, to get some next to each other.

We are also starting at different airports and different times.

She's starting earlier than I do, so only thing I can think off is that she tries to get a middle seat in a completely free row, to maximise the chance that 1 seat stays free, until I can book. Anyone got a better idea?
>>
And on the staying sane part:

I hate to sit still for hours and hours, but you actually dont really have room to walk around in econmy, plus, the aisles are full of people anyways.

So I recently had an injury, where I got some physical therapy, and they got me one of those rubber bands you need for some excercises.

Total livesafer!

I now always have it with me, when flying. Just remove your shoes, "step" on its middel and pull the ends to your desired tension and make stepping movements with your foot while sitting.

Not as good as a nice walk in the park, but better than a "walk" from row 12 to 25…
>>
>>1145579
I really wanted to give you an advice, but
>remove your shoes

I was triggered. Either buy a fucking business or sit calm and silent in coach, it's just 10 hours...
But no, on every fucking flight there are those fat retards with smelly feet w/o shoes, or those idiots walking up and down the row...

Or let me guess, if you don't get the seat close to your friend (protip:you still wont get laid), you will probably shout loudly all the fucking flight "HEY PEGGY SUE I CAN SEE THE MOUNTAINS, CANT YOU"?
Of course she can't as she's squeezed between 2 middle aged gentlemen (snoring loudly during the flight), but it won't stop you.
Or another one:
- Hey Peggy Sue, what did you get for lunch?
- Fish? Haha! Chicken for me? Is it tasty?
Fuck, I am so triggered
>>
File: triggered.webm (684KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.webm
684KB, 480x270px
>>1145602
Calm down…

But just for the record: I'm always freshly showered with fresh socks before a long flight and of course I'm putting my shoes back on, getting laid or not is besides the topic at hand, and I'm not obese. If anything, this probably applies to you, if you are that sessile that sitting in econ for 10 hours does not bother you.
>>
>>1145578
Mate it's only 10hours. Bring a book and stretch while going to the lavatory a few times. Also please don't take your shoes off.
>>
>>1145625
This.
Feel free to loosen the laces but as soon as you take your feet out and you spread your stench across the 10 hour flight people will hate you, I've seen people get worse airline service from shoeless people.
The only time it's probably reasonable to take your "shoes" off is if they're flats or you're wearing sandals for some weird fucking reason.
>>
Why is everyone so triggered by the shoes?

It's common sense that you only do this, if you can do so without causing issues for all the other passengers.

With what kind of people are you all travelling? I never have encountered (or caused) any issues with feet.

also, it is quite ironical, that some airlines actually give you some socks in the plane, and that removing your shoes (or loosing your laces, if the shoe is big enough) is reccomended as travel advice all across the internet.

But fine, I'll change my advice to
>I now always have it with me, when flying. Just put some plastic bags on your shoes, "step" on its middle (or mark the middle, so that you only use if for you dirty boots, and dont use it to grab with your hands) and pull the ends to your desired tension and make stepping movements with your foot while sitting.

better?
>>
>>1145673
>also, it is quite ironical, that some airlines actually give you some socks in the plane,
This. I don't get why so many people are triggered either, but maybe they are flying airlines from 3rd world nations where the passengers don't know how to bathe, replace shoes as needed, take care of foot fungus asap, etc. I typically pack a 2nd pair of shoes just for the plane, maybe some Tevas or Crocs, soft driving moccasins, if I want some cush, room for swelling, easy to kick off, but want to keep my soles covered for quick lavatory trips cause eww floors of planes. I would always wear socks of course, as is expected, but my shoes are basically slippers without being soleless.
I would expect a lousy experience in coach on some airlines, from the culture of the people at that price point. There's a reason people don't switch to foreign airlines (or cruise companies), but stay with a carriers from their own country. I don't fly BA or Virgin transatlantic (coach) anymore because of the large muslim families with untended children talking row to row. Air France? Too many north africans who don't bathe, or else people who figuratively bathe in strong perfumes that make my throat sore. Racist? No.I know the coach culture types from experience. Delta isn't the cheapest fare, and I end up with less offensive people.
For OP, you two need to call each other on the phone, pull up your reservations at the same time using the maps online, try to make seat changes. If your desire is to pay for legroom, it might be easier as well to get seats blocked off just for that fee. For a 10 hour flight, I would NOT leave it to chance that you can ask at the time of boarding to change to sit together, but know that is the last resort way to do it, at the gate with a nice agent about 40mins before boarding. If your fare code doesn't let you do seat assignments, one of you should call the airline.
>>
>>1145578
Usually there will be advance check in where you can pick your seats.

If not, just go to the airport at the same time and call each other while checking in at the machine (or even at the counter).
>>
>>1145578
Shes better off taking an aisle or window seat in the back of the plane. Middle seats are the last ones filled because nobody wants to sit in them.
>>
>>1145578
>stying sane in cattle class general
While - on non terrible airlines - it generally is not as terrible as many folks make it out to be, it still sucks, especially on long haul.

Bearable, but sucks. But what is the alternative? Sure, there is business class, or even first, but the price hike is just insane. Paying 10 times as much? No thanks. So I'm stuck in economy. And since all economy kinda sucks (or is just as good, if you are a "glass half full" guy), I might as well get the cheapest one.

So I am just another sucker that wants the best price. So the airlines just see
>price is everything that counts!
and shit up the travel even more, just to get cheaper.
Fuckin vicious cycle.

I have high hopes in Premium economy, but I'm not yet convinced that this will turn out to become an available and affordable option. Paying $100 more on a flight that costs me $1000 anyways? sure, why not. I just pay it myself, if my work cheaps out. But paying $1000+, for what is still the same seat and food than normal econ? Probably not.
>>
I got 12 hour flights with Turish Airlines through a reseller and they still let me pick my seat when I did the online check in. The online check in only opened 24 or 36 hours before the flight so it's not like the seats were already taken. I had a layover but I checked in for both flights seperately and booked window seats on both

>We are also starting at different airports and different times.

>She's starting earlier than I do, so only thing I can think off

I don't understand this, are you on the same flight together or not? what do you mean she's starting earlier? Everyone does online check in
>>
>>1145700
imo people complain too much about western airlines. do people have fucking adhd?

you pick up a book and read for a few hours. watch a movie, and try to sleep.

anyone who calls this "awful" is a fucking spoiled brat, imo, or is mentally disabled
>>
>>1145578
Call airline, tell story, request help. Costs nothing and might work.
>>
>>1145688
>>1145688
>>1145688
This, if calling the airline does not work.

But if you have both booked, get on the phone together and look at the seat change choices you have, then pick seats near or next to each other. You're making this harder than it is.
>>
>staying sane in cattle class general

I'm going on an 8 hour flight tomorrow on United, longest i've ever been on is a 3 hour. Is upgrading to BuisnessFirst worth it? I checked online and the prince difference is like a thousand dollars, would it be the same amount if I asked tomorrow if theres any first class seats available? I think it might be worth it to shell out a couple hundred max, and i'm wondering if upgrading to a higher class the day of would be cheaper.

But if i'm stuck in economy... any advice on how to get through it? Do all seats have outlets on them so i can charge my phone?
>>
>>1145809
united really only offers these upgrades at OLCI or when you look at your trip online, I'd buy it if it drops to the 600$ range, I wouldn't pay $1000 since their business class is shit service, but they have a decent seat and free alcohol
>>
>>1145578
You should both choose the most desirable seats you can (i.e. not middle) and then ask the guy in the middle seat next to you if he wants to trade for her aisle/window.
>>
>>1145613
No you shut the fuck up. I like his post and I laughed at it, do you know why?

Because it fall under the category of "funny because it's true" which is the funniest kind of funny.
>>
>>1145809
>But if i'm stuck in economy... any advice on how to get through it? Do all seats have outlets on them so i can charge my phone?
Grow the fuck up you child
>>
>>1145877
My battery isn't going to last 8 hours watching movies and shit on my phone dumbass. I'm not gonna sit their watching some shit tier C+ airplane movie. hold my dick
>>
>>1145602
You don't take off your shoes on a 10 plus hour flight? That's dumb.
>>
>>1145773
>I don't understand this, are you on the same flight together or not? what do you mean she's starting earlier? Everyone does online check in
I have worded it a bit bad. The long flight is from heathrow to toronto, but she starts a Munich in the morning and I connect to heathrow from paris on the evening.
And I cant find anything to book a seat in advance on fluege.de (…I know), and lufthansa has no option to reserve a seat on a codeshare.

>>1145793
>anyone who calls this "awful" is a fucking spoiled brat, imo, or is mentally disabled
Call me spoiled, but sitting in a fuckin tight seat for hours, without any movement, dry air and fucked up air pressure is awful. Not unbearably so, but awful nonetheless. And sitting still for such an extended time can actually have health issues for some.

>>1145809
>Is upgrading to BuisnessFirst worth it? I checked online and the prince difference is like a thousand dollars,
If you can easily afford it? Why not. But if money is thight, the $1000 is probably better spent for other things you enjoy.

>>1145883
>I'm not gonna sit their watching some shit tier C+ airplane movie.
Don't know about United, but most airlines nowadays have a very large movie selection, so there is bound to be some good stuff.

My last flights where on KLM and Emirates, and I was watching the new Mad Max, Eyes wide shut and some random dutch movie, that turned out to be one of the best comedies I have seen in ages (Baxter vs. Snyder, or something?) on the first, and a full season of family guy on the latter. Not excatly C class in my opinion.
>>
>>1145883
Get a portable charger, it's not rocket science.
>>
>>1145911
>sitting in a fuckin tight seat for hours, without any movement, dry air and fucked up air pressure is awful. Not unbearably so, but awful nonetheless. And sitting still for such an extended time can actually have health issues for some.

1: Get out of seat
2: Walk around
3: ?????
4: PROFIT!!!
>>
File: electrical outlet adapter.jpg (23KB, 386x400px) Image search: [Google]
electrical outlet adapter.jpg
23KB, 386x400px
>>1145877
>Do all seats have outlets on them so i can charge my phone?

Seatguru.com

On any long-haul flight, you are likely to have at least 2 outlets in a row of three seats, maybe 3. I carry one of pic related, just in case there are not enough outlets. Also handy at charging stations in an airport.
>>
>>1145700
I've flown Premium on Air Canaduh before on their new dreamliners (dont get premium on non-dreamliner flights) and I think its worth it if you can get it when on seat sale for just under 2000.

The good food, the wide seat pitch and nearly complete lake of anyone else in premium made the experience worth the extra $400 imo.

If you think you can afford the extra cash for premium i'd say do it. But if thats $400 for only 10hrs of okay-betterish flying comforts vs forgoing an excursion/play money on your vacation, then stick with economy.
>>
>>1145673
For real, maybe you guys are plebs and wear clunky tight shoes all the time that make your dogs sweat but not me. I wear sandals (especially huaraches) or crocs at all times and my feet are always fine. I kick of my shoes when I drive, when I eat, when I go on a walk, everywhere and always. If not it's like wearing a condom at all times.
>>
>>1146471
>1: Get out of seat
And annoy the folks around me
>2: Walk around
Where? have you ever been on a plane?
>3: ?????
????? indeed
>4: PROFIT!!!
…not
>>
>>1146502
Sure thing, chief. Pity on them plebs :)
>>
>>1145602
ha i do everything that triggers you everytime. and no fucks given. guess what when you get old you need to walk around because your body just cant sit that long. get fucked. too cool for mountains.
>>
File: IMG_20151206_130202.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151206_130202.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1147431
>too cool for mountains.
But mountains are cool!
>>
>>1145578
>Problem is: We booked at different vendors (I'm directly with the airline, but it turns out the flight is a code share) and she's with some reseller, so we can't just simply book seats in advance, to get some next to each other.
Depending on the airline, if you call the airline that operates the flight with your confirmation code, they may be able to give you a seat assignment. Otherwise, you'll need to check in at the airport and see what seat you get assigned and ask an agent nicely.

>I hate to sit still for hours and hours, but you actually dont really have room to walk around in econmy, plus, the aisles are full of people anyways.
There are two fucking aisles to walk up and down while most people sleep. This is a mistake. I always pick aisle in economy. Unless you don't like getting up or prefer uninterrupted sleep (in which case pick a window) pick an aisle if possible

>So I recently had an injury, where I got some physical therapy, and they got me one of those rubber bands you need for some excercises.So I recently had an injury, where I got some physical therapy, and they got me one of those rubber bands you need for some excercises.
I think have trouble doing this with how narrow seats are in economy...

Also, removing shoes on an aircraft is pretty grody and a faux pas.
>>
>>1145773
If you have a booking through a travel agent and it's a direct flight operated by the airline selling the ticket than seat selection typically is allowed (I know Cathay doesn't allow advance seat selection on a lot of ticket stocks, and Air Canada generally only allow advance seat selection for tickets purchased on their website).

>>1145809
Depends heavily on the equipment. Some of the BF product uses seats that are like the first class domestic seats, which IMO are not worth the asking price. The lay flat seats are pretty baller and can be worth the price.
>>
>>1147431
Whoa, you're like so cool and knowledgeable. Told him like a boss :) let me upvote you
>>
>>1149267
>Also, removing shoes on an aircraft is pretty grody and a faux pas.
I used to have a roommate who thought foot odor was totally normal, I nagged him for months and finally he asked a doctor and got some foot cream. Cleared the problem right up.
>>
On long flights I usually stand in a corner from time to time. This doesn't bother people as much as walking up and down the aisle.

I sleep the rest of the time.

I can take my shoes off no problem because I shower everyday so my feet don't stink. Seriously what is wrong with you people how do you even get smelly feet, the only way for my feet to smell is a half-marathon.
>>
>>1150468
This may come as a shock to you but not everybody sweats the same amounts for the same activity.
>>
I'm done with cattle class. I don't care if I have to save for months more just for the plane tickets.
</blog>
>>
>>1150480
Did something happen?
The longest trip I've had on cattle class was 3 hours, and my next one will be 12 hours. Is it just fucking miserable?
>>
>>1150492
I just have really bad cleithrophobia (some subtype of claustrophobia) and just looking at pictures of a plane's economy cabin makes me feel like total shit. I had a good time all in all on my last trip but I had to take six different flights in less than three weeks and it was awful.

You'll be fine.
>>
>>1150492
I've done economy all my life, longest flights were around 6-8 hours. Not a fun time, and I can't fathom doing economy on an international flight. So I booked economy for the domestic leg of my trip to Japan and business class for the international leg. ANA had business seats up for a pretty good price, so I jumped on it.
>>
>>1150492
Business class is enough better than economy that, if you can afford it, it's worth it. But economy is not so bad that it is worth not traveling to stay out of it.
>>
Paid $120 bucks extra for a premium seat to Straya on a 15 hour flight...It will sure be nice to stretch my legs out and not have some asshole recline their seat back.
>>
>>1150468
Protip: you always smell worse than you think because you get used to your smell.
>>
>>1145613
It's a shame trumblr whales ruin an actual medical term.

"Triggers" are real, but they're reserved for people with actual PTSD. You're beaten almost to death with a baseball bat, you see one, and it triggers an anxiety attack. You lost your wife to cancer and a doctor's office triggers you. Etc. Not "I see my gross body and I'm ashamed". That's not a trigger.
>>
>>1145661
What if your feet genuinely don't smell? My gf says they don't and I've shoved them in her face after getting from work. Or asking the person next to you "hey, mind if I take my shoes off? If they smell, just tell me"
>>
>>1150543
Also to elaborate, I mean keeping your socks on, but not shows. Not barefoot, that's disgusting.
>>
xanax dawg
>>
Would it freak people out if I walked around the plane taking pictures of weird little things like where parts of the walls meet, or the bolts on seats and stuff?

It kind of sounds like they'd suspect I was a terrorist plotting to bring a wrench aboard and dismantle the plane from within, but really I just enjoy pointless photography when bored. Plus it gives me a reason to be moving around.

(Note: I've never flown on anything bigger than a DHC-6 before, so if this would make you want to strangle me keep in mind that it's not a particularly serious proposal and my past aviation photography has largely been out-the-window.)
>>
>>1151234
This sounds insanely suspicious dude, people will either think you're a terrorist or a fucking autist
>>
>>1151234
I hope you also like being surprise crash tackled, restrained, not allowed to piss with the door closed, then arrested and charged upon landing, fuckwit.
>>
>>1151235
With hindsight I'm amused at how suspicious my examples sound since they relate to how the plane is assembled.

I really just meant literally anything, though. Like, a bit of carpet is rougher than the rest? Might as well photograph that. Light on the ceiling isn't working? Photo. Cup? Photo.

The reason it's so weird is because I've a thing about taking photos of people without their consent, hence the off-the-cuff examples. Really it's "Literally anythingI can get a camera to capture without including a stranger's face."

>>1151892
I'm so glad you ignored the disclaimer that this isn't something I've ever done or seriously plan to do because my flying is restricted to light aircraft that fly low and let me just take pictures out the window.
>>
>>1151897

you sound incredibly socially challenged. That's such suspicious and strange behavior that yes, you should never attempt and / or even think of doing something like that. Are you literally autistic?
>>
>>1151897
I've got no objections
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.