[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TEFL/TESOL/TESL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: infographic.jpg (295KB, 627x704px) Image search: [Google]
infographic.jpg
295KB, 627x704px
Anybody here taken one of these courses?
I'd be interested in teaching somewhere in China/Taiwan/Korea/Japan but I know next to nothing about how this works. I can usually wing shit pretty well so I assume if I take an online 100-hour course and go over there I shouldn't have too many problems organizing lessons and stuff.
What I'm more curious about would be the settling down/living situation. What's life like as a TEFL teacher? Can you live confortably in one of those countries for a while, then move to another country, repeat the process? Is it way more stressful than I imagine it right now?
Because from what I've read about it that sounds like a good way to travel and finance the shit at the same time.
Also I have no degree whatsoever as I'm about to drop out of college, does that make any difference for this?
>>
>>1143702
99% of teaching jobs in Asia like that demand at least a BA in any subject. And online TEFL certificates are frowned upon because of the very limited (if any) classroom teaching experience you'll receive. However at the same time an online TEFL is better than not having a TEFL at all. But having a BA is most important.
>>
>>1143721
Damn are they really that strict? I was hoping I could land some elementary school gig pretty easy...
>>
>>1143746
You still can in many places in China and possibly (don't quote me on this) Taiwan. In Japan/Korea they demand a completed degree.

However these jobs will likely not be advertised much online. People without degrees or people who aren't from English speaking countries usually have to be on the ground to find these kinds of jobs. So it's a bit of a gamble because you might not find them. The other issue is that they're usually much lower paid than jobs for degree holders and you might face worse conditions like shittier hours, fewer benefits, no actual work visa (kinda illegal but in China everyone cheats...).

If I could give you any piece of advice it's that you should complete your degree first. It will open up many doors for you.
>>
>>1143702
I'm doing a 150-hour online TEFL course at the moment, and even with that it can look a bit bleak. For instance, I've just had a look at their job listings here:

https://www.globaltefl.uk.com/new-job-list

And they pretty much all want an undergraduate degree AND one year's teaching experience.

Have a look around that website (and others) to see what the benefits and downfalls are, and see if that's something that would be ok for you.

It's probably likely you could offer tutoring 1-on-1 or in smaller groups as support, rather than be a sole English teacher without the experience or degree.
>>
>>1143760

Taiwan also requires a completed degree.
>>
>>1143746
It's not, I work for one of the best schools in southern Thailand teaching 6th grade science, English and social studies. All I have is a diploma and a TEFL certificate which I got while in Thailand. And I got this job literally right after getting the certificate with no prior experience (in Canadian though and they loved my accent). It's even a private Catholic school so I got a 12 month contract (paid during the summer break and all other holidays).

There are ways around having a degree. When I did my TEFL course there were 3 other students, none had degrees and I was the only native speaker. They all have jobs and work permits. I found out about the place through a British girl who had been working here for 3 years, again without a degree.
>>
>>1144416
This if you're a native speaker.
Else, no chance.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.