[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Must have travel apps recommendation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Hi /trv, I am someone in mid 30s but have not traveled often. I hope to do so now, please recommend me must have apps that I can use when at overseas. I plan to to backpacking, so it would involve more effort and things can get easily overwhelmed due to information overload, hence need your help. Thanks in advance.
>>
Maps.me is an incredible offline maps tool, I use it a lot
>>
I used maps.me in London, smaller download than Google Maps offline regions and it does the job. If you have the time/bandwidth just download google offline regions.

Otherwise I use Tinder and Foursquare for places recommendations.

I think more anons will know stuff in Asia where stuff isn't available or there are local alternatives.
>>
>>1143016
I like google maps offline dl. It's nice having access to all my saved places.

Also, find a local public transport app. I used Trafi in the Baltics and it worked great.
>>
I use fetchmyway. It's based on the engine of Rome2Rio and shows you all the different ways to get from one place to another, listing all means of transportation with prices and schedules.

Also, a hostel app like Hostelworld as well as a currency calculator are advisable.
>>
So how about this new Maps.me update though? Is there a way I can disable the localisation part?
>>
File: red-berlin.jpg (23KB, 270x340px) Image search: [Google]
red-berlin.jpg
23KB, 270x340px
To be honest I prefer just getting a foldable cardboard street map. Those are usually easier to use + you can add your own markings.
>>
>>1144911
There's no easy ctrl+f, there's no auto location feature, there's no direction, further information on places/facilities aren't located on the map and it just scream to everybody around you "I'M A TOURIST".
Maps app have search feature, auto location, (good apps) show extra info on places/facilites right on the map in a floating box and if you pick your smartphone on the street, you're just another random person in the crowd.
>>
File: 2015-10-20 002.jpg (6MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-20 002.jpg
6MB, 5312x2988px
>>1144911
Here's your RealTravelerâ„¢ (You)

>>1145156

Yup. GPS is a god-send and it's reliable for all city needs. The only benefit of a printed map I've experienced is being able to get a wider picture of the area.
>>
>>1143016

professional cartographer here.

osmand. you can download hole countries/regions/cities for offline use. also offline car/bike/pedestrian routing (public transport only for some cities afaik) and address search and lots of POIs also downloadable from wikipedia.
when online also any maptile service (f.e. for satellite images) can be incorporated.

disadvantage: quality of the datasets varies depending on where you go (restrictive countries, fareast and such)

for:
>>1144911
also this
>>1145479
>>
>>1145479
>using an actual map makes you a real traveller

I hope you are trolling because that is an incredibly stupid thing to say.
>>
>>1143016
There are no "must have" aps. I testify to this as the last holdout against smart-phones who has traveled successfully sand enjoyably without having any aps at all.
>>
>>1146427

I am not trolling. In this day and age you can do better to prepare for a trip. Offline maps, back up high-powered battery and a smart device are ages ahead of printed maps for travellers.

You have to learn navigating by map, better pray that there are street signs in English in the country/place you are in. You HAVE seen the amount of people on the street unfolding maps while standing upright and struggling to hold the papers.
>>
I am astonished that no one mentioned any translation apps. Google Translate is must for me
>>
Not completely related, but is pocket wifi advisable for going around London and Paris? I'm retarded when it comes to directions, so i'll definitely use it as a GPS and for transport apps and recommendations.
>>
>>1147297
What's wrong with an unlocked gsm phone and a prepaid sim card?
>>
Maps.me/HERE maps with the local maps downloaded before you get in country. Lots of places don't have a decent enough internet connection to download maps or even maps.

Tinder/Badoo. Chat with local girls and ask them whatever you want before you get there. Meet up with any that seem super interested after you land. Bam, free tour guide and fling while you're there.

Whatsapp/viber/line depending on where you're going. SMS and Facebook messenger aren't really used outside of the US.

Trip it - set it up with your email and it will automatically arrange your confirmations and such into an itinerary available offline.

Tripadvisor - generally good to get the western traveler's opinion on things to do around. With restaurants often this means that western food is the highest ranked though.

Google translate. Note that there's an option to speak into it which is really useful, but I've never had luck explaining to people that they need to speak into it.

Duo lingo. Learn some of the language before you arrive and things will go smoother.

Agoda/booking.com/Hostelworld. Expedia and the sites you're used to aren't used outside the US. I'd say most popular is booking.com. Hostelworld is almost entirely Americans so view the reviews from that perspective.
>>
>>1144911
I travelled for the first time alone a few months ago and I brought a paper map thinking I will never use it but I honestly took it out of my pocket more times than my phone. It was just really handy, and I was taking it out so many times that it became torn and I had to buy a new one. But it was a nice feeling travelling with a paper map, it felt more genuine if that makes sense.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.