[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sun Hats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 80700_910.jpg (77KB, 940x1000px) Image search: [Google]
80700_910.jpg
77KB, 940x1000px
The most divisive piece of clothing.

I'm a nature photographer though, and the more time goes on the more I feel like I can't tolerate the sun blistering my skin. Also probably cancer.

What do you recommend?
>>
>>1140486

Tilley LTM6
>>
>>1140501
That looks pretty good, for a sun hat. Might grab a version that doesn't look quite as techy.
>>
>>1140501
>>1140527
wide or short brim? assume i am retarded when it comes to hats (and various other things)
>>
>>1140501
I have a Tilley and it's amazing.
>>
>>1140914
Wide brim for sure -- a narrow brim defeats the purpose of the hat.

>>1140949
I wore REI hats for a long time. They're nice, but the Tilley is a huge improvement. For traveling they're really the best -- lightweight, packable, washable, etc.
>>
File: 767086.jpg (15KB, 366x440px) Image search: [Google]
767086.jpg
15KB, 366x440px
>>1140964
>Tilley is a huge improvement.

I might check them out anon. I just bought a sun hat from REI pic related for /out/. It works well but looks lame. I have nicer straw hats for citygoing but they get nasty when sweaty and aren't packable.

I hate hats but I get sunburn without them, even if I apply and reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. I also have to wear long sleeve shirts all the time, even in extreme heat, or my shoulders get burned.
>>
File: TH4_Mocha.jpg (8KB, 290x329px) Image search: [Google]
TH4_Mocha.jpg
8KB, 290x329px
>>1140501
>>1140949
>>1141059
The th4 hemp one seems like a good compromise between heat management and looking less touristcore. Is it? Also seems like it's less prone to the brim whipping about in the wind.
>>
>>1140486
If you're doing nature photography who the fuck is going to care if you wear a hat? If I see someone going around in the hot sunny countryside without a hat I think they're more of an idiot not to have one. Perhaps if you're in some smoggy/cloudy/temperate place you don't need a hat so much though.

Sunscreen is good an all but it's uncomfortable, attracts dirt and needs soap to get off properly. Easier to just get a hat. Just get something non-rigid but make sure the brim isn't too floppy, otherwise it will get lifted up by any wind and become both annoying and useless.

For citygoing you could always just spend <$5 on a shitty straw hat, wear it as long as you need, then give/throw it away.
>>
>>1141059
>looks lame

I know what you mean -- the French Foreign Legion look. Still, it keeps the sun off the back of your neck, which is the most important thing. Functional > stylish, although both is best.

>>1141148
>th4 hemp

Nice too. I don't like the big eyelets at the top, but YMMV. It's a bit heavier than the LTM6 so the brim is probably a bit stiffer; this for sure is an advantage, but I still prefer the LTM6 as it's more packable and (I suspect) easier to wash the sweat stains out of.
>>
>>1140501
lmao those reviews
>One of the things the clerk at the hot store mentioned was that Tilley wasn't just an awesome hat, but it was an admittance into a sort of secret "club"; people wearing them would spot you and give you the "nod". I did actually experience this once when we were out hiking, but besides that I got many compliments in general.
>>
>>1140486
Sun hats vary in heat protection as well as shade. The one pictured has a dark colored under-brim which both doesn't reflect light back in your tender eyes *ahhhh* providing the nice shade a dark topped hat will do, but also gives the light fabric a greater amount of protection but allowing it to remain a cooler fabric light reflecting hat. (Just like a black Tshirt or black car is hotter than a white version).

The width of the brim matters if you are looking to protect the tops of the ears and back of the neck. Someone doing yard work for instance, bending over often, or someone out on the bright reflective water, might want a wider brim all around or even a fabric section over the neck, vs say a baseball hall. Quick dry is nice, as the hat you have pictured if its sweaty weather, or off/on rain, or even a quick dunk in the water to cool yourself off. As a male, of course a full sunbathing women's hat at some point looks ridiculous. Washable is nice too. A day on the golf course can stink up a hat with bacteria and sweat and a little woolite wash brings it back around to fresh.

I suggest you start with any UPF rated hat, and realize that at $35 or so pricepoint, you can always buy more styles down the line or to fit your fashion for the day. I find good deals at Marshalls and resale stores that serve resort wear purposes...sales at places like Dicks too. There are fashion hats that look Indiana Jones-ish, aussie, panama...though they may or may not have great wide brims, they can be just enough to pull the sun off of all but the chin. Invest in some breathable daily wear sunscreen to pull the rest of the days protection off.
>>
>>1140486
>Not rocking the sun scarf
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.