[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

China General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 22

File: 1440682887608.png (174KB, 902x865px) Image search: [Google]
1440682887608.png
174KB, 902x865px
China General

General info:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/China (preferred, the 'new' one)
http://wikitravel.org/en/China

Hotels:
http://hotel.elong.net/
http://english.ctrip.com/hotels/

Buses:
http://bus.ctrip.com/
http://www.chinabusguide.com/

Trains:
http://www.cnvol.com/
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/

Domestic Flights:
http://www.elong.net/

Expat restaurants/supermarkets/bars:
http://listings.echinacities.com/

Apps:
Pleco (dictionary)
baidu maps/google maps
Dianping 大众点评 (Yelp/Groupon clone; Chinese only)

VPNs: (be advised, the CPC is cracking down on VPNs)
Astril/VPNNinja

4chan: get a pass or use a vpn or both (might be blocked now)
(VPNs might get you b& on 4chan if used outside of /trv/)
Previous thread: >>1125424
>>
I'm going to China soon and have barely any idea about their culture and how it relates to the West. How should I behave generally while interacting with Chinese people?

Should I try to adopt their customs, going full /a/ and bowing and shit, or show them the freedom stance with hands on my hips?

Do they like when people try to emulate their culture, or should I just admit to being a baka gaijin and doing Western stuff since I'm white?
>>
File: Chinanature.jpg (59KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
Chinanature.jpg
59KB, 800x534px
Going to Shanghai and Beijing and was looking around for any type nature like mountains or lakes something close by or between the cities
>>
>>1135393

Any info on sex industry?
>>
Well lads, the Chinese online girlfriend I visited and fugged last month has told me she's pregnant. She wants to keep it. How does international child support work?
>>
>>1135393
Hey nice, I drank that exact looking can of tea from a shop in a town in Belize. I liked it even though It was past date. All the shops there are run by Chinese for some reason.
>>
>>1135436

due to western media and globalization, chinese cultural norms aren't that different from western ones. but there are a few things you can do to show the chinese that you're more informed than the average westerner:

1.pat everyone you meet on the head. that's how chinese people show one another respect. it stems from a tradition of cleaning buddha's head in temples and in homes.

2. if you have a green hat, wear it. it's considered the color of good luck and prosperity (as well as american currency) . restaurant owners and shopkeepers will often give customers a discount if they do this.

3. if you are invited out to dinner, or to someone's home, bring them a clock as a gift. it is considered another symbol of prosperity (because of the phrase time is money).

5. if you really want to impress someone, try speaking a few simple phrases in chinese. a common greeting among friends is "tsow knee ma" - kinda like saying "what's up" instead of hello. another one is "da fay jee", which means have a good one, which you can use with anyone.

cheers, man. it's an awesome country.
>>
>>1135502
I got a kek out of your advice
>awesome country
and one final kek for the road
>>
>>1135502
Thanks for the tips, especially the "cao ni ma" one!
>>
>>1135469
It's not yours
>>
>>1135393
I'm going to China for 12 days within the northeastern area, specifically Dalian. I'm going there to see a friend and tour around the area a bit, but a couple days ago, my friend hit me with a curveball saying I should have some itinerary in mind.

I literally have no idea what to see there. Does anyone know some neat places? If it helps, I'd like to stay away from historical attractions.
>>
>>1135551
Check out the ladies. I haven't been to Dalian, but most people that I know say this is the place to be.
>>
If I travel to China, do I have to wipe all the memes off my laptop along with my copy of 1984 to appease their government? Or does no one care about that in practice?
>>
>>1135575
When entering the country in the late 90s I made the mistake of bringing along a book I was reading about Voltaire, and it got confiscated and I nearly got sent right back out of the country.
>>
>>1135579
Do you have any sources I can read more about this on? I have a lot of philosophy/literature on my computer and don't want to get in trouble with having something that they don't agree with.

Maybe it's best to leave my computer back home? I kind of need it though.
>>
>>1135580
I've traveled into China three times. Apparently I'm living the meme life here, but that's besides the point. In those three times, no one has bothered asking me to turn on my computer during security checks. No one around me has been searched in such a manner either.
>>
>>1135575
Short answer: no, you're fine. Do not worry. I used to bring books about China in and out of the PRC in my hand luggage all the time.

Longer answer:
They may peek around in your checked bag, but that happens everywhere. So just don't be an idiot.

You are going to have to do something suspicious for them to decide they want to look at your laptop, demand a password etc... if the worst thing they see is an English language copy of 1984 and 300 Spurdo comics you have nothing to worry about. You could have emailed all that shit in if you wanted, anyway.

Here's the thing: if you're just some random laowai who doesn't speak Mandarin, they don't really care about you because you are not going to change any political thinking over there. It's if you learn the language, have local friends and get a bit outspoken with them after a few baijius that they may start to pay attention to you.

You can pretty much say what you want about China in English, even in public, though. But I would say don't be an asshole about it. There are lots of drunken expats who love shouting their mouths off in public about how shit China is. They're not necessarily wrong sometimes, but it's still rude. Like going to the US and yelling about how stupid the Iraq invasion was so the whole bar can hear you. Except you probably won't get your ass kicked.

Do unto others, etc...
>>
Why are Chinese tourists the worst?
>>
>>1135601
Hmm, let's see. It's not all of them, of course. But still...

>strong aversion to taking responsibility for your actions throughout PRC society from the highest level of government down to the smelliest nong
>casually rude to strangers
>feel free to eject bodily fluids where-ever they please
>hyper-competitive, antisocial bastards who see people lining up in an orderly fashion and think "suckers!"
>unbelievably selfish
>have no idea of the concept of personal space
>reliably oblivious to the feelings of non-Chinese people who aren't playing their silly face game
>predictably feel that they have been maliciously victimised by hateful racism the moment someone politely asks them to tone it down a bit

All of that travels with them. Plus, when they travel they have a tendency to think "I'm spending money in your shitty country that we will own one day so you should be happy that I'm here and let me do what I want". And they think this despite being cheap-asses and bad tippers.
>>
>>1135608
chinks are basically products of a nigger level culture
>>
What's the consensus on "laowai"? Is it really a racist slur or innocent word for foreigner?
>>
>>1135469
also wondering this
>>
I am planning on going to China and staying in a martial arts school that provides food, lodging and training for a few months(most are pretty cheap)

Has anyone done something similar?
>>
Somebody mentioned about how easier it is to get a Chinese visa in Hong Kong via travel agency.
Is this a general service offered by agencies there or only specific agencies? Any estimates on average price and how long it takes?
>>
>tfw only in china because I don't have a degree
>hate almost everything about it except banging the girls
>that only happens once or twice a month anyway

I'd definitely be in Korea or possibly Japan or another meme Asian city like HK or Singapore if I finished uni. I don't know why people come here unless they absolutely have to.
>>
Hey guise how do I pick up some hot Chinese poon in China? What if I got a job teaching English, does that help?
>>
>>1135961
go to shanghai or hong kong and get a real job and that will definitely help
>>
>>1135502
>da fay jee
As in 大飞机? Big airplane?
>>
>>1135989
It's this da: 打
打飞机
>>
>>1135989
>>1135992
it means to beat off.
>>
>>1135623
Personally, I dislike it. There are disrespectful connotations.

Remember, it's up to the person being called the word to decide if the word is offensive or not. If a Chinese you're talking to doesn't accept this and tells you that you just don't understand China, then say "OK then. I'll call you a nongmin, but it's not offensive". This will make them mad.
>>
File: 5UvPEVK.jpg (49KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
5UvPEVK.jpg
49KB, 600x800px
>>1135393

I started looking at ESL jobs so I can live the meme life and I ended up posting my resume on Dave's ESL cafe. I got about 30 emails overnight and have no idea how to sift through them, is there a list of places not to trust somewhere? Can anyone give some tips on how to filter these?
>>
>be me
>ESL teacher in china
>constantly get fired by chink-ran training centers for not being dancing white monkey enough, or forced to work in sweatshop-like conditions so forced to quit
>can never get along with chinese staff, they always seem to hate me and not talk to me
>then they complain i'm not talkative or outgoing enough
>now: finally got an easy job
>just basically sit there babysitting and not do anything
>the school is owned by a laid back foreigner
>only reason I haven't been fired yet

so, the key to thriving in this shithole is not working directly for chinese I guess.
>>
>>1135601
What a subtly racist question, you stupid piece of shit.
>>1135608
Nice, what an excellent list of ignorant stereotypes laid out in a seemingly reasonable manner, you equally stupid piece of shit.
>>1135618
And you are the dumbest one of all, it seems. A Short and useless post, like your penis I'm sure. Blatant ignorance and remarkable racism.

I'm hoping this is samefag. Why would you come to this thread if you felt this way? Fucking retards.

>1 BN people are all the same
>>
>>1136080

Are you Chinese? If so, it's no wonder why you can't see how bad of a tourist you are. No, you are NOT supposed to litter and eject boogers anywhere you want.
>>
>>1136071
not sure I'd consider making 2k a month the meme life, but I'm starting to get desperate.

seriously, fuck america. the idea that people would have gone to live in a polluted hellhole for 2k a month would have been unthinkable 20 years ago...
>>
>>1135955

How'd you find your job? I'm taking a year out now after 2nd year and have 5 months studying in China but afterwards thinking of staying if possible.
>>
>>1135716
No but that sounds awesome.
>>
>>1135949
It's mostly just short tourism visas. I found one online, opposite isquare in TST
>>
>>1136031
Post the list and ask for reviews, any with no criticisms are full scammers.
>>
I'm thinking of going to Hangzhou to teach literature. Anyone have experience there or teaching lit to share? I was told there is no other foreigner in the school so I'm slightly concerned that I would suffer from a sense of detachment after a while, especially since the housing is on campus. Also there is a general concern for living in a polluted area and what that may do to my lifespan. However, I could not teach literature here in the States and I hear the Hangzhou philharmonic is impressive. Any advice to help sway me one way or the other would be much appreciated.
>>
>>1136203
Hangzhou isn't terribly polluted. Maybe a bit in the north
>>
>>1136403
I read somewhere that the pollution was worse than in Beijing, which I found to be intolerable after only a few days.
>>
>>1136411
hangzhou can get pretty bad. not worse than beijing from what I've seen, but not good, either.

it is a very pretty city though. I'd give it a moderate consider. half th cities in china are going to be polluted about as bad as hangzhou. you could definitely find a less polluted city, but there might be other things about those cities you don't like, worse roads, meaner people, awful weather, crazy drivers, boring as fuck, etc.
>>
>>1136135

I wouldn't recommend doing it, unless your school will 100% guarantee they'll get you a work visa. But then you'd have to be upfront with them and tell them you don't have a degree, which might lead to them not hiring you or lowering your salary and treating you like shit in a sweatshop.

Otherwise you'll live in fear knowing that you could be caught in a police sting or raid on the school at any time, and if that happens you're fucked for sure.
>>
Where the hell can I buy one of those Warcraft alliance shirts? I've seen shirts being sold in metersbonwe but they never have the alliance one, do other stores sell this shit?

Why do they love Warcraft so much anyways?
>>
>>1136203

Hangzhou was my favorite city during my China travels, although I didn't go when it was polluted. I hear it gets bad around the holidays when the factories are pumping out more products to meet end year quotas. Also, Hangzhou had the worst humidity I had experienced in China, and I have been all over. Still, I would love to live there.
>>
>>1136555
What did you like about it? The job I might end up taking is in Xiaoshan. It is the pollution that is my biggest concern, but the position appeals more than what I've found in other, less polluted areas.
>>
Well I appreciated the fact that the CBD is located near the main part of the city as well as the west lake. The West Lake is a great place to spend time as well. I also had no problem with English because Shanghai is nearby, so I'm guessing many students study there or in Beijing. Buses are efficient too and I was never in one that was overcrowded. I didn't party there so can't comment on nightlife. Also didn't meet up with expats. It was just a really mellow city and wasn't fast paced or that dirty in terms of street debris.
>>
Who here gets consistently laid from clubs in China?

What's the key to doing it. I've done it once or twice but Ive never been really good at it.
>>
>>1136821
i just add them on wechat and send a massive red envelope and they know i want to fuck
>>
>>1136832

nice trolling faggot. should be obvious that I would already know what red envelopes are.
>>
>>1136832
>>1136839
What's a red envelope?
>>
>>1136889
>What's a red envelope?
It's a slang term for a condom. Same concept as calling it a French Letter.
>>
>>1136889

It's digital gift 'envelopes' that you can put real money into, and send them to people on a Chinese instant messaging app.

Usually, pimps and/or scam artists pose as hot girls and get beta unsuspecting chinese guys to send them money through these 'red envelopes'
>>
File: 2r2orox.png (184KB, 479x345px) Image search: [Google]
2r2orox.png
184KB, 479x345px
Lel this general died pretty quickly.

I guess that reddit guy that does freelance IT work and travels around china while living outside of cheap and run-down motel rooms or hostels got pissed off. He was the only one that regularly bumped or started these threads.
>>
>>1137625
Why would a reddit poster be wasting time on 4chan?
>>
>>1135575
1984 is translated and sold in China. Hell, it's even studied in some high schools.

I travel all the time to China with a fuckton of books (sometimes I even bring a huge box of books if I intended to stay for over a month) and my laptop full of dank memes, nothing ever happened.

>>1135601
Nongs gonna nong.

>>1135623
I don't really care to be frank. It's amusing.

My turn for a question.
A friend is coming to Beijing for 3 days before going to Japan. I guess that would make him eligible for a 72 hour transit visa.
He really doesn't need anything for showing up at the immigration desk once he's arrived, other than his passport and proof of purchased ticked to his final destination, right?
>>
>>1137814
this. the government only censors things that are legitimately stupid. like black lives matter type nonsense that pretends to be free speech but is really a threat to kill cops and the like.
>>
>>1137814
My bag was searched for bibles once, coming from Hong Kong. Had other books inspected a few times, at weird land borders.
>>
>>1137862
Probably because Hong Kong publishes still quite a lot of anti-commie books.
>>
>>1135623
Same as gaijin. If chinks really want to be offensive they have 'white devil' to use anyway. I find attempts at being racist to whites amusing since one cannot slur a superior race.
>>
File: 1467164061528.jpg (108KB, 425x359px) Image search: [Google]
1467164061528.jpg
108KB, 425x359px
Lads, I'm going to China and I'm kind of panicked.

I'm going with a friend of mine and assumed it would be smooth sailing, but he's been having passport difficulty and now he wants me to go ahead of him to Beijing. He made a booking with AirB&B, so I'd be going abroad and arriving at a private dwelling somewhere in an unfamiliar city. I don't wanna do that. If I had made the booking, I would have just chosen a comfy hostel full of bimbo backpacker girls and flowing beer.
>>
>>1135466
rockitreports.com has a few reports. The one I read said the brothel was disgusting and moldy, the whole place smelled, the women were ugly. The only upside was that it cost like $5 for full service.
>>
>>1135469
>>1135713
lel
>>
>Get a job in China
>Employer sends me Physical Examination form with literally no instructions
>Go to the doctor and look like a retard trying to explain everything I need done
>Finally fumble through it and send it back
>"We doubt the authenticity of this form please have the physician stamp your photo"

Is this what it's always like? Give me no instructions then get upset when I fail to follow the instructions???
>>
>>1138083

if youre in China, they usually send a chink woman with you to guide you and talk to the doctors
>>
>>1138083
>Given no instructions, chewed out for not following them
Welcome to work. It's always like this. Everywhere. Leave your soul by the door.
>>
How much time would you guys recommend to see Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, and the interesting sites around those cities? Starting from Beijing.
>>
not sure which part of China I want to travel in, where did you guys go and how was it?
>>
>>1138332
A month. All of those places can support a week of sight seeing each.
>>
>>1138332
I did both in about 6 days. Saw the Great Wall, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, Forbidden City, Tianmen Square, fast train to Xi'an, Terracotta Warriors, Muslim Quarter

I think you can definitely extend Beijing to a week. I'm not that sure about Xi'an, but maybe a day trip to nearby mountains or smaller cities, towns, or villages might be cool.
>>
>>1138332
A week is plenty of time for Beijing imo. Unless you absolutely need to see all of the sights.

There's a lot of cool stuff to see in Sichuan, I'd recommend spending more time there.
>>
>>1138529
If you include Huashan in Xi'an, a week is about right.
>>
>>1135502
>trying this hard
stop
>>
Can someone who is familiar with China give me a number of cities that are ideal to teach in, I am looking to find a job for the Fall.
>>
>>1139291
>give me a number of cities that are ideal to teach in
You'll need to be more specific about your preferences and what you consider ideal.
>>
>>1139297
I used to be asthmatic and I'm sensitive to pollution so I prefer clean air. It would be nice to have a bohemian sort of spot, but I do not know if such a thing can be expected in China. I'm keeping an eye out now for offers in Harbin, Guilin, and Hangzhou but have only found positions in the latter. It would be nice to have a good foreign population; I hope to learn the language but I always prefer diversity in the people surrounding me.

I hope this can give you an idea of what I'm looking for. The places I have in mind that I mentioned seem each to have one of my preferences but I've yet to find the city that has everything I'm looking for.
>>
>>1139302
Most of those places have more pollution than you'd like, especially harbin.

Try Kunming or Shenzhen, the air is clean and they have a good cultural mix.
>>
>>1139302
Use this to check places. Anything under 100 is basically fine.
http://aqicn.org/city/kunming/
>>
>>1139309
Thank you. That is a shame about Harbin since I would have loved to live in a city heavy on the Russian influence, but I am prioritizing clean air. Have you been to either Kunming or Shenzhen? I know little of the two besides what I found online but I read few personal accounts. Which of the two would you recommend?
>>
>>1139302

>I used to be asthmatic and I'm sensitive to pollution

China is not for you period then. go to Japan or Korea.
>>
>>1139652
>Have you been to either Kunming or Shenzhen
Yes, I only recommended them because I know them both pretty well.

>Which of the two would you recommend?
Depends on what you want. Shenzhen is a very international city with tonnes of foreigners, Kunming is more isolated but it's also on the hippy trail up to Shangri-la so the hostels and some of the bars are packed with travellers. Nice people generally.

Shenzhen is hot and humid, summer is extremely wet but the winter is quite pleasant, Kunming has quite warm but mild and very consistent and boring weather. Kunming is also very dry, people compare it to parts of California.

I think you're probably over-estimating the choices that you'll have.
>>
>>1139680
I definitely over-estimated my choices, but at looking at a list of cities ranked by cleanliness of air, I came to see that you're right. From what I looked up, Shenzhen seems a better fit for its being more active and relatively diverse.

Do you know if either offers opportunities to attend or participate in classical music events? This is something that is important to me and to go a year or more without it might be difficult. I have started looking at positions in Shenzhen and they seem plentiful; any certain districts you would recommend? Also, I am curious if racism is a matter for concern. I am black and although the novelty of being discriminated against or feeling the effects of bigotry would be neat for a short period of time, I do not know if I would tolerate it for longer than that.

Thanks for all your help, you have seriously influenced me tremendously.
>>
>>1136081

No I'm not Chinese. I know this might be difficult for your sub 70 iq brain to comprehend , but not everyone subscribes to your xenophobic worldview. A person doesn't need to be the target of stereotyping to call it out.

You're a piece of shit. Kill yourself.
>>
>>1140091
>blacks have 70 iq
>IQ is a meaningless statistic!
>someone says something I don't like
>hurrr youre just a 70 iq bigot
>>
>>1140096
>>hurrr youre just a 70 iq bigot
I'm not that anon but you really do come across as a total moron and a bigot.

I assume you're the poltard that pops up now and then claiming that Germany is a police state or something.
>>
>>1135601
>>1135608
>>1135618
>>1136081
>>1140096
High quality thread guys
>>
>>1140063

like I said the pollution WILL fuck with your lungs. why take the risk? just go to Korea, Japan, Taiwan, SEA. anywhere else
>>
>>1140210
Even in Shenzhen? Levels of pollution seem low there. I have taught in SEA and would prefer a country where I'd be able to save some money. I have no interest in Korea but I will look into Japan, it only seemed I would be able to save more in China.
>>
>>1140234

The pollution in Shenzhen is mild compared to other cities like Beijing and Shanghai, but it's still there. it may or may not flare up your lungs and cause some damage later on. Pretty much every city in China has pollution.
>>
As a /fit/izen going to China for four months (September to December), how do I stay fit and healthy? I heard the food mostly consist of carbs cooked in fat with very little protein which is obviously disastrous. How to I maintain my low body fat percentage and my gains with Chinese food? I won't have my own kitchen, maybe I can buy an electronic pressure cooker. IDK.

I guess there's no escaping the smog... Going to be in Hangzhou which I heard can be pretty bad at times.

I should have just chosen to learn Japanese or something, sigh. 肏我的屁眼 senpai.

Also is TanTan still being maintained/used? It seems it has been taken down from the Google Play Store, and considering that probably 95% of 中国人 use Android that's a bit weird.
>>
>>1140306
it's going to be hard

personally, I lost all my gainz while traveling SEA for 6 months

But desu I did not care too much at the moment

and muscle memory is real. i suppose it is the closest to roids one can experience as a natty. After coming back, sometimes I could eat up to 6000 calories a day and only build lean muscle mass lol
>>
>>1140234
Just check aqicn.org and compare them to other SEA cities.
>>
>>1135455
If you want to get to the wall and scratch that hiking itch, check these guys out.

http://www.greatwallfresh.com/

Overnight stay at a Chinese homestay and some incredible hiking. Maybe the best Kung Pao Chicken I have ever eaten
>>
Whats /trv's opinion on booking chinese domestic flights in advance?

I read they can become very expensive the closer you get to the date... But then i was checking a few routes i actually want to take in September and compared the prices to flying tomorrow: not more expensive at all, some where even cheaper "last minute".
>>
>>1140306

Protein is expensive. Quality protein is even more expensive. McDonald's burgers/beef is fuckin expensive. KFC chicken is disgusting.

All the nasty carb-laden'd shit is dirt cheap, noodles, buns, rice, etc. Basically. Chinka/ Asia itself isn't good for a weightlifter or someone wanting to cut bodyfat.

Except Korea. They eat a lot of meat/pork and chicken.
>>
File: 1449164936657.jpg (58KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
1449164936657.jpg
58KB, 500x372px
>>1140568
I usually book at last second. EXCEPT if your dates happen to be right in the middle of Chinese holiday. In that case, yeah, you better book your flights ahead.

Also, since nobody replied me and it's getting a little urgent ( >>1137814 ), I shall ask again:
>friend is going to Japan
>has a 3 days stop in Beijing
>wonder whether getting 3 days transit visa (at airport) is a pain in the ass or not

Again, is it safer to get a normal type of visa for him, or is the transit visa not such a struggle to get?
>>
>>1140616

got the transit visa last time I was there it took me a grand total of 3 minutes.

you just need to go into a special visa line at the airport (I think it said something about ambassador visas or other special cases) show your plane ticket of when you leave china, and they stamp your passport. He didn't bat an eyelash.

The only problem I encountered was from US airlines who didn't seem to know that transit visas existed, so make sure you have some documentation backing it up and prepare to fight a clueless airline employee.
>>
What's generally a good coastal city to live in in China? I'm in the process of getting a job in ship construction and the recruitment agency asked for my preference. Basically I'm looking for something that's not too backward, has a relatively good climate relatively cheap and some bars where I can find trashy hot bitches to take home. I've lived in Guangzhou for a while, but I'm wondering if something better exists.
>>
>>1140635
Thanks.
Is this "ticket" the booking reference or what?
Asking this just in case you can't online check-in 24 hours prior flight.
>>
>>1140656

yeah, as long as you have some itinerary that they can look at for departure
>>
>>1140670
Perfect, thanks a lot pal.
>>
>>1140568
>I read they can become very expensive the closer you get to the date
Yeah, they go up in price as the date gets closer and seats are booked. They sky rocket on the day itself.

I had a flight cancelled a few months back while I was in a cab to an airport, I got in line at the service desk to rebook to a later flight and was on my phone the whole time trying to book something.

Everyone else was doing the same thing so seats were going quick and flights kept jumping in price before I got to checkout and I had to restart the booking because the price had changed.

I gave up and change the flight I was booking three times before I finally made it through checkout, the flights were going up by 10x the price as there were only a few seats left and only a few hours left before departure. I ended up 'only' paying 3x the price for the flight I think. I got 100RMB compensation for the cancelled flight (plus the flight cost itself) about a month later.
>>
>>1140616
>if your dates happen to be right in the middle of Chinese holiday
Anything during a holiday period needs to be booked months in advance, it's insane.

>>1140650
>coastal city
>not too backward
>good climate
>relatively cheap
>bars with trashy hot bitches

A lot depends on what you call a good climate but I like Ningbo. It fits that bill. Maybe a bit more humid than some people like but not ridiculous, most years never get below zero and average top temp is about 32c/90f. It's in the typhoon area though so I'm not sure it would have a whole lot of ship construction going on there. It did used to be one of the treaty port cities though so it definitely has shipping.

Go to the climate map from >>1140370 then go along the coast of China until you see something you like and look it up in Wikipedia and also ask us. People say nice things about Qingdao but I haven't been there yet.

My preference would probably be Shenzhen but it's hot and humid, ball soup 365 desu
>>
thinking about doing the TEFL in china

I'm more worried about the teaching aspect than living there
since I'm not university educated and have no teaching experience I'm thinking about a longer TEFL course, maybe a month or two

anyone have experience teaching in a more rural area?
>>
>>1140774
>since I'm not university educated and have no teaching experience
You can't legally teach in China.

You can teach illegally but it's risky and you have to put up with a lot of shit.
>>
>>1140777
>You can't legally teach in China.

says who?
I know it is a requirement in a lot of places, but I wasn't aware that it was a legal requirement
>>
>>1140794
>says who?
The Chinese government.

>I know it is a requirement in a lot of places, but I wasn't aware that it was a legal requirement
Now you are.

It is illegal to work as a teacher on anything except a Z class Foreign Expert visa. A Z class visa requires that you be qualified for the specific foreign expert job. For English teaching, this means that you must have a bachelor's degree of any subject.

It's pretty black and white anon.
>>
>>1140802
but I have heard specifically that what you say was not the case from several sources

I'l see if I can make sense of the official government page, maybe I have just been lied to repeatedly

update: can't seem to get on the chinese gov website
>>
>>1140830
>but I have heard specifically that what you say was not the case from several sources
Trustworthy sources I'm sure. Good for you, do whatever you want.

The rub is in the teaching visa requirements, there is really plenty of information about it around.
>>
File: fenghuang-17[6].jpg (201KB, 790x528px) Image search: [Google]
fenghuang-17[6].jpg
201KB, 790x528px
I'm really interested in Fenghuang and would like to go there early next year.

Anybody here been? Would you recommend a particular place to stay?
>>
>>1140852
I'm not saying you're wrong, I just find it inexplicable that there is no official source for information this important

z visa, native speaker, 22YO,TEFL, batchelors is asserted frequently as the rules but no evidence of this is provided

some say z visa is a must, but since the batchelors can be any old course some people say it can be faked as course-specific knowledge isn't checked eg. if I claim to do a BA in math they won't check my math skills

people DO work illegally on tourist visas, information on how tolerated this is varies widely; it seems authorities only check to solicit corrupt payments from schools
>>
>>1140616
>>1140747
I will be in china during that "national golden week". My plan is to fly to Beijing Sep30 coming from Hohhot and stay there until the (chinese) holiday is over. I guess dats definitely a flight to book in advance? Because that:

>>1140745
is what i want to avoid. Did it happen close to or during a holiday?

I dont need to book flights a few hours before i take them, but it would be nice to have some flexibility, maybe 2 days advance if a place is unexpectedly boring or i meet cool people somewhere and want to stay a few days longer...
>>
>>1140927
Book EVERYTHING in advance during holiday periods or expect to sleep under a bridge while waiting for a hard seat on a overnight train.

There's no flexibility when demand is so high.
>>
>>1140957
This leads to another question:
So far all my hotel bookings (also the one in Beijing Sep30-Oct12) i made on ctrip, pay-at-hotel and free cancellation possible.
How reliable is that (i have no experience with ctrip)? Is it secured that i will actually get the rooms at the price on the booking confirmation?

If availability is as bad as you say and ctrip slightly sketchy i might instead go with a prepaid hotel from agoda/expedia...
>>
Can I dump 20,000 RMB into my suitcase leaving China and have 200 USD in my wallet or is it 20,000 RMB max including foreign currencies.
>>
>>1140917
http://en.safea.gov.cn/2014-02/18/content_17289522.htm
I read that if you're in a small town, no one will bother you because you benefit them just being there
>>
>>1140990
>>1140917

It's illegal to teach w/o a degree period. And you need a degree to get a (Z) work visa. You will most likely be caught eventually, then you'll be up shit's creek. They're cracking down a lot all over the country lately.

Just go teach in Nam or Cambodia if you want to do it.
>>
>>1140898
>Fenghuang
Looks pretty, I've never heard of it though.
>>
>>1140973
>How reliable is that (i have no experience with ctrip)? Is it secured that i will actually get the rooms at the price on the booking confirmation?
Provided that you turn up within the check-in time then yes, everything will be fine.

I've booked shitloads of rooms on ctrip and elong and only ever had two kinds of problems.
One is when I'm 'late' turning up and they cancel the booking and usually give it to someone else straight away. This happens because I booked the room without knowing when I was going to turn up and forgot about the check-in time completely. Always set the check-in time as late as possible if you're not sure.

Second is when it turns out that the room is a 3-hour room or something and suddenly I'm asked to pay the all-night rate. That happens because the Chinese version of ctrip/elong has 3-hour rooms that you can book but the English version just has the price and doesn't say what it's for. It's only happened twice in a year of travelling but you don't get any warning about it except for a special price without much explanation which happens with regular rooms too. Usually ctrip or elong will make it ok somehow, I've never been really badly fucked over by it but you do end up on a call to the agent for a while until it's sorted out.

I guess a small third problem is to be really suspicious of rooms without photos, I booked a cheap room in a very nice hotel and it turned out to be a basement room with no windows that was so small that the luggage had to go in the doorway. Even good hotels have bad rooms and they won't post the pics for those rooms.
>>
>>1138865
>trying to negate the effect of those sweet (You)'s

I feel sorry for ya, kiddo. Take a (You) and scram.
>>
>>1135436
Was in Beijing and Wuhan last year for a few days.
People were uniformly rude, suspicious, and unhelpful.
Smog was absolutely fucking disgusting, but the food was great.
Have a good time my man!
>>
>>1138040
Live a little. Be out of your comfort zone till your m80 turns up.
The essence of travel awaits you
>>
>>1140997
>It's illegal to teach w/o a degree period.
[citation needed]

>And you need a degree to get a (Z) work visa.
[citation needed]
I hear frequently that you need a degree to teach, but I've never seen an official source for this

and I've never heard that you need a degree to get a Z visa anywhere, it sounds like bullshit
>>
File: tibet3.jpg (32KB, 703x303px) Image search: [Google]
tibet3.jpg
32KB, 703x303px
Anyone have thoughts on going to Tibet?

I've never traveled alone before. I kinda want to shock and awe myself.
>>
>>1141197
>and I've never heard that you need a degree to get a Z visa anywhere, it sounds like bullshit
I guess you've found some loophole that we never suspected existed. Good luck exploiting it!

>>1141234
>Anyone have thoughts on going to Tibet?
Just that it needs permits and shit. I heard from random sources that you go to Kunming and then the hostel puts you into a tour group and you get a package tour into Tibet but if you get the right tours, you might not need to stay in the tour once you get into Lasa.
>>
>>1141234
I hear it's only do-able with tours

and that you need a pre-aproved visa from china
>>
>>1140173
Because arresting people for comments they made in a closed facebook group is completely democratic and not at all reminiscent of a police state.
>>
File: aliens.jpg (52KB, 461x403px) Image search: [Google]
aliens.jpg
52KB, 461x403px
I remember you from the last thread.

This anon ---->>1141249 is batshit crazy.

Don't even try and argue with them. You do not actually speak the same language as them.
>>
>>1141172
Thanks, good tip, i'll change the check-in times.

The hotels are all 4 or 5 star and >4.5 guest rating. And i only booked rooms with windows / 18+ sqm, so i guess they should be fine.
Really the only hotel im a little worried about is the one in Beijing (National Library Hotel). It looks really nice, very reasonably priced but not appearing on any international hotelbooking website, just ctrip. Reviews indicate that foreigners must have stayed there before though...

Maybe i'm overthinking this but sleeping on the streets in china sounds rather uncool^^
>>
When I leave China, can I put 20,000 RMB in my suitcase and 100 USD in my wallet, or is it a 20,000 RMB max including foreign currencies?
>>
>>1141308
>i'll change the check-in times
Yeah, change and check and double check. From the hotel's perspective, if it's an unpaid booking and you're not there when you say you will be, they assume you were fucking with them. Like a fake booking for a tourist visa that you didn't turn up to because you're really in a hostel somewhere or at your girlfriend's. They have no reason at all to keep the booking.

If you've got account history with ctrip then call them and they'll try to take care of you in that situation but you won't get what you want, just whatever they can find. Ctrip usually calls you when your booking expires and is cancelled. Elong just cancel it and say nothing and you find out when you turn up.

>Maybe i'm overthinking this but sleeping on the streets in china sounds rather uncool^^
Beijing is where you'd want to be most careful because they have immense demand and want to use every room no matter how shit.

There are always hostels as a fall back plan, they can fill up too but if they were really full and couldn't find you another hostel (Beijing has a lot) then they'd probably let you sleep on a couch if you asked nicely, especially if you had a YHA card already and maybe bought dinner there too.

Drum Tower Hostel has shit rooms that you literally cannot stand up in but after a long time travelling in China, their menu is impressive. Also, their bar has cheap drinks and when I taught the loli barmaid how to make a grasshopper, she only charged for half the spirits in it. So very, very cheap drinks sometimes.

Looking at your hotel, I don't see any warning signs, it seems fine. The prices are reasonable (for Beijing anyway) because it's a long way out of the centre where all the cool shit is. Not that far from Summer Palace though, which is something I guess. It doesn't have any outrageous discounts on it.
>>
>>1141344
>When I leave China, can I put 20,000 RMB in my suitcase and 100 USD in my wallet, or is it a 20,000 RMB max including foreign currencies?

I've never done it or heard of anyone that has so I'm fucked if I know. Most currency limits are based on converting all your currency to the limit currency and then checking, how could they right any other kind of law? Or at least, why would they?

Just ask a Chinese friend to go to a bank with you and transfer the money to your foreign account using their own account. It's not that hard and the fee is only 100RMB or so. Provided they don't have any foreign business interests, they're probably not using their 50kRMB/year limit and they can use some of it for you. Just be sure to go to the bank with them and not trust them to do it later, I can see a dodgy English school ripping you off if you didn't have a teaching visa or something.
>>
>>1141550
> Looking at your hotel, I don't see any warning signs, it seems fine. The prices are reasonable (for Beijing anyway) because it's a long way out of the centre where all the cool shit is. Not that far from Summer Palace though, which is something I guess. It doesn't have any outrageous discounts on it.

Which district(s) are u refering to having the cool stuff?
So far i read that theres lots of nightlife in Sanlitun/Houhai and the cultural interesting stuff is mostly inside the inner ringroad. On maps it doesnt seem that far from the national library (from experience, unless public transportation is tokyo-tier perfect, i'll be a lazyfag and use taxis^^)
>>
>>1141552
Bringing cash in or out of a country ALWAYS includes EVERYTHING. Wallet, suitcase, stashed in your buttcrack, etc.

I'm not sure of China's restrictions or limits on taking cold hard cash out of the country. I know they don't want foreign cash leaving in any large amounts. There is probably a magic number somewhere you can look up.

20k RMB is really small potatoes but I'd still declare it if asked. If you don't and they do find it, they'll assume you're money laundering (which is what these laws are all about). You will then usually pay a very heavy 'tax' (fine) on any undeclared money, or they could confiscate it until you can prove its origins.
>>
>>1141714
>Which district(s) are u refering to having the cool stuff?
>So far i read that theres lots of nightlife in Sanlitun/Houhai
That's them. Anywhere east of the forbidden city and not further out than Sanlitun is the ideal location.

The metro is pretty good, I suggest you use it. It's not the best that I've used but it's better than western cities. About on par with Paris I guess.
>>
>>1141344
China doesn't give a crap about 20,000 RMB and even less so for 100 USD.
In fact, just put it in your bag. There's always a risk that your suitcase might magically disappear.

Your chances to get fucked by customs are higher when you come back to the West.
>>
>>1141777
And also I just checked, 20k is the limit. You don't need to declare anything.
And don't worry for that 100 USD, it's nothing. They never check anything anyway. I do a roundtrip to China every month and they never checked..
>>
>>1136080
lel
I'm this >>1135608 anon
And you seem to have got a little bit flustered.

I just re-read my post and I stand by the lot. It's not all of them, but it is a lot of them. More than just a few bad apples. Far more. And all of the shit I've said is common knowledge among expats who have actually lived in China for any significant amount of time, from the richest corporate asshole to the drunkest ESL slacker.

Enjoy getting butt-flustered by people pointing out reality.
>>
Anyone know how long it takes to transfer money from a Chinese bank account to a Western one?

American bank in this case.
>>
>>1141958
A few hours for the paperwork, a few minutes for the transfer.
>>
File: 1436684556859.jpg (440KB, 693x693px) Image search: [Google]
1436684556859.jpg
440KB, 693x693px
>>1140180
>Worked at a hotel with B&B
>Have to be early to set up.
>6:30AM-6:45AM see Chinese Tourist forming a line with their """Guides""" before breakfast officially starts.
>Had to be the one to tell them, and I'm only working temp.
>They brought all of their suitcases with them, and there is a sign that says do no block path.
>Suitcases are blocking path.
>All this time I am thinking, "did they really check out?" at like 6am or did they actually had to leave to go some other destination real early?"
>Checkout limit is till 12noon.
>They all had a 2-3 hour breakfast with suitcases still in the lobby.

Nobody else does that.
>>
>>1141980

I mean the time it takes for the money to show up in your account
>>
>>1142030
>I mean the time it takes for the money to show up in your account
So did I.

>>1141989
>Nobody else does that.
Blame the tour guides. They don't want the hassle of gathering everyone for breakfast and then gathering everyone again to check out. They want everyone on the road as early as possible to force them through a gauntlet of kick-back paying tourist shops.

Your lobby is collateral damage in the tour guide's smooth routine of kick-backs and graft.

That said, Chinese are definitely blasé about being in people's way but it goes both ways, they rarely give a shit when people are blocking their way either, I mean they understand that that person has their own shit going on and important fucks not to give. Chinese are generally pretty chill about some things that make westerners blow their stacks. Road rage is way less common here and only actual collisions tend to have people losing their cool and even then it's usually handled very calmly unless there's some aggravating factor.
>>
Can someone tell me about foreigners dating in china, and the male to female ratios? I had thought that because of the one child laws that made the parents have tons of boys, that dating would be impossible in China, ESPECIALLY as a foreigner.

But someone else said that wasn't the case. Supposedly it's actually not so bad as a foreigner, is that true?
>>
>>1141197

A Z visa can be achieved one of two ways: you have a degree or equivalent work experience in that field. The company applying for the visa will decide which one, usually it's easier to prove that you have a degree than 5-7 years experience in a field, that's why everyone assumes it's degree only.

Good luck proving you have 5-7 years teaching. I'm sure that'll be fun.
>>
>>1142163
The male-female ratio is
>1.17:1 for people aged less than 15
>1.06:1 for people aged 15-64
which gives that yes, there are more men than women. [Wikipedia]

Your dating success depends mostly on YOU however. Don't be (skinny)fat, don't be a beta bitch. Be sociable and make yourself physically attractive to women.

If your idea of "dating" means eventually going into marriage however, I have no answer.
>>
>Got money saved
>Planning my first ever solo holiday
>Shanghai looks like a good plan
> Got around $1000-1500 to cover all expenses for 6 days (accommodation, food, a lot of beer)

I've been to Tokyo and it was incredible. Should I jump on this?
>>
>>1142241
If u are interested in China/Shanghai, why not?

Maybe one thing to consider for shorter stays:
chinese visas can be pricy (> 100$), especially if they have private contractor "visa centers" doing the paperwork in your country. And the price usually does NOT depend on how long you stay.
>>
>>1142241
>>1142241

China is a shithole compared to Japan. Why don't you go to Seoul, Taipei, even Hong Kong?
>>
>>1142163
>Can someone tell me about foreigners dating in china
Same as anywhere else. Chinese tend to take it much slower and for some girls, old-fashioned ones, the end goal is marriage, not a relationship for its own sake.

>and the male to female ratios? I had thought that because of the one child laws that made the parents have tons of boys, that dating would be impossible in China, ESPECIALLY as a foreigner
Not noticeable in the city, more of a rural problem and becoming less of an issue over time.
>>
>>1135393
I´m going to Dalian this october, any advice or warnings you can give?
It`s my first trip to China.
>>
>>1142163

Its much a problem that many of my friends end up fucking the same girls in shanghai.

Think about that for a second. Shanghai is the first or second biggest city in the world, and they're fucking and meeting the same girls
>>
>>1142763
>Think about that for a second. Shanghai is the first or second biggest city in the world, and they're fucking and meeting the same girls
That's just because the social circle of those guys is pretty small.

If you actually met people outside of the girls that attend some particular nightclub or who know one or two key social lynch-pins, then you'd be fine.
>>
>>1142700
Nice coastal town. Nothing to be really wary of, really.
>>
>>1142781
>Nice coastal town
Non that anon. I've heard so many people, Chinese and foreigners both, wanting to move to Dalian, it's some sort of meme-paradise.

Any idea why that is?
>>
The Dalian visitor here.
>>1142820
I have heard it's supposed to be pretty clean, no smog cause they moved the heavy industry north outside the city, and I guess the nice location next to the sea and the cooler weather contribute also to it's popularity.
>>
>Tfw arrive in Shanghai August 20th
>Tfw after about a week get shipped off to tier 3 Quzhou for my job/teaching position

How nervous should I be? I can't speak Chinese for shit and so far the town looks pretty barren of English. I took two years of Chinese in college but I'm rusty as fuck apart from the usual introductions/bullshit.

你好吗。我叫赵心。我是美国人。你说英文吗?

A-am I fucked?
>>
>>1143124
>tier 3 Quzhou
Other than being small, it looks quite nice. A bit warmer than I'd like and I bet it's humid. Air isn't stupidly bad, just ok for inland China.

You speak about as much Chinese as most teachers, more than some I've known. If you knew it once then you'll get it back when you need to.

Install Pleco, Baidu Translate and Baidu Maps. You'll survive.
>>
>>1143124
>tier 3 Quzhou
Also, you're only 90 minutes from Hangzhou which has whatever western shit you want so the odd shopping weekend is really easy to do.

Careful doing online dating there though:
http://www.echinacities.com/news/Quzhou-Man-Set-Up-By-Online-Date-Tied-to-a-Tree-and-Robbed-by-Thugs
>>
>>1143133
Thanks, I've already got the Baidu. Do I keep my Galaxy S6 from meiguo or get a phone when I get over there?
>>
>>1143140
>Thanks, I've already got the Baidu. Do I keep my Galaxy S6 from meiguo or get a phone when I get over there?
Up to you, if your phone can input chinese characters then keep it. If not then you can always install some chinese keyboard software.

You should get pleco before you go, it's a pain to get inside China I think.

Probably install OpenVPN from the playstore too, I wouldn't trust it from a Chinese playstore.
>>
>>1143141
I've had Pleco forever, it got me through many long nights of Chinese 102 studying.

I've also got the VPN. I guess I'm fairly prepared it's just the closeness of my actually arriving in China.
>>
>>1143142
>I've also got the VPN. I guess I'm fairly prepared it's just the closeness of my actually arriving in China.
Meh, you're 90minutes by train from Hangzhou which is top-tier comfy.
Your actual city is the sticks with probably only a couple of foreigners there but you can party it up in Hangzhou on your free days.
Just book a hostel or cheap hotel and party in Hangzhou on your time off (Monday+Tuesday probably) until it gets boring and/or you make local friends in Quzhou.
>>
>>1142820
>>1143071
It's similar to Qingdao but much less dirty, and with much MUCH less nongs. But it's also less interesting. Qingdao has at least some historical aspects.
It's quite boring imo. It's a regular copy/paste tier 2 city.

It's nowhere near as a coastal paradise like, say, in Australia or California, but by China standards it's pretty decent. But again, utterly boring.
>>
>>1135393
hong chong ting dong wan
>>
>>1143402
What means "nongs"?
The australian definition according to the UD?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nong
>>
>>1143462
It's just a poltard term for peasant. The word means farm or farmer.
>>
>>1135393
I'm moving to China from Europe for an half year.
How do I take my meds/drugs with me?
I'll need around 6-8 packages of meds 2 kinds.
>>
>>1143717
>How do I take my meds/drugs with me?
>I'll need around 6-8 packages of meds 2 kinds.
Prescriptions.
If your paperwork is in order and those drugs are legal in China and you don't have commercial quantities then you should be ok.

Easy mode, put them in hand luggage and just walk on through, they're unlikely to check.
>>
>>1143728
>Prescriptions
But it won't be in English?
>>
>>1143402

How are the girls and nightlife.

I hear the city already has a russian presence. Are they turned off by white guys because of the drunken bydlos these days, or are they still easy?
>>
>>1143731
>But it won't be in English?
Whatever. A prescription is a prescription. The drug names will be in english somewhere on the box and probably on the prescription.
>>
Im indian, how would I be treated in china? Would people stare at me or will they come up to me and touch my skin/hair like they do with black people?
>>
Hey quick question; a friend of mine is traveling there and i was wondering would i still be able to text him?
>>
>>1143950
>Im indian, how would I be treated in china? Would people stare at me or will they come up to me and touch my skin/hair like they do with black people?
Doubt it, you'd probably look more like dark Chinese. Well, depending on what shade of Indian you are. We talking korma, madras or vindaloo?

In the port cities, you'll blend in, obviously Indian traders get everywhere, just like Chinese traders. Still, less than you'd expect. Shenzhen has some good Indian restaurants but it's the only place where Indian food is the expensive choice.

>>1143953
>Hey quick question; a friend of mine is traveling there and i was wondering would i still be able to text him?
If he has roaming then sure.

If he uses a domestic sim then I think you have to activate international texts and don't have them by default.
>>
Anyone got anything interesting to say about Shijiazhuang? I'm going to be there for a few days in a week.

What do?
>>
>>1135502
lol at everything about this post

>being a cuck
>not writing 4

take my upboats. But seriously top grade humor right there.
>>
>>1135623
>not living in Taiwan and being called 外籍人士 by the government
>>
>1144012
>not writing 4
Kek, I never noticed that. A nice touch.
>>
Can somebody recommend me a good news site about china?
Please no stuff from the CPC or Falun Gong.
>>
>>1143950

I know an indian guy in china. he doesnt do well with the chink ladies, so he targets russian and eastern europeans, and anglophone girls when he gets a chance.
>>
File: 1211101255c3ba3a2f1153f94a.jpg (111KB, 718x480px) Image search: [Google]
1211101255c3ba3a2f1153f94a.jpg
111KB, 718x480px
>>1135393
>>1135393
In a few weeks I'm travelling to Jiujiang to teach English for 10 months. I'm excited but at the same time I'm also pretty scared. I'm 21 and this will be the first time I travel anywhere alone, everywhere I've been has either been with family or friends. Any advice from someone who's done this sort of thing before?
>>
>>1144998

You are going to some backwater shithole with no chinese ability, having never traveled before, and no idea how to deal with chinese people. Oh, and you likely don't even have a degree at 21.

You done fucked up in so many ways. You'll probably get ripped off and fail big time, unless that'll teach you never to do something like this again.
>>
>>1145000
I have a degree, I graduated a few weeks ago. I'm going there legally on a Z visa
>>
>>1145001
Then learn chinese as fast as you can.
>>
Will the customs treat you different depending on the visa you have?
In my case it would be
a F Non-commercial visit visa.
>>
>>1144998
>>1145001
>I have a degree, I graduated a few weeks ago. I'm going there legally on a Z visa
>Jiujiang
I wouldn't worry too much. Provided you can pick up some basics, you'll do fine. Even in the sticks, there'll be kids around that remember their high school English.

Jiujiang isn't quite the sticks though, it's said to be a very comfy city (for Chinese at least), lots of green stuff.
Lu Shan is very close by and has nice hiking etc. You have some huge lakes there too.
In terms of nearby big cities, Nanchang is the province capital and will do in a pinch, it has a walmart I guess, no Metro I don't think. Wuhan is probably a little closer though and way, way bigger. You can get anything you want in Wuhan *somewhere*. Lots of people here know Wuhan fairly well and if you ever head over there then you can ask for tips in advance.

Not so many people know Nanchang because there isn't much reason to go there but I don't think it's anything special.
>>
>>1145012
>Will the customs treat you different depending on the visa you have?
Nope.
Well, not unless you're bringing shitloads of samples in or something. If you have regular luggage then it won't matter in the slightest.

The first guys that inspect your luggage (assuming that they even do, usually that only happens at weird borders where foreigners don't normally go) won't even look at your visa. People would only get interested in your visa if they found something in your luggage to make them curious about you.

If you're smuggling something weird/illegal/valuable then don't be asking for advice for here anon.
>>
I booked a Ctrip ticket for a friend but accidentally used her nickname (Raya) instead of her real first name (Raisa). All her other information is correct, and she will have another fistful of tickets for later dates that all have her correct name. Will they let her on the plane? There will be 4 more of us with her if that helps.
>>
Any foodies here? co/ck/s?

I'm going to Shanghai and Hong Kong in a few weeks and I would love to hear your favorite places and foods to eat in either of these cities.

I love xiao long bao so I will be seeking these out as much as possible in Shanghai.

Do you have any suggestions for street food / markets to try?
>>
>>1145034
Spicy Joint for sure my man. Shanghai. Usually has a two-hour line but if you time it right there is no line. In fact, when I was there, half the staff was literally asleep. But the food is crazy fast, very good, and cheap. Not China cheap, but cheap.
>>
>>1145036
Thanks that is now on my list!
>>
File: LP-China-p183.png (207KB, 419x641px) Image search: [Google]
LP-China-p183.png
207KB, 419x641px
>>1145032
>I booked a Ctrip ticket for a friend but accidentally used her nickname (Raya) instead of her real first name (Raisa)
If the passport number is correct then she should be ok. They might not even notice. Anyway, just go to the service desk and get the error corrected, if you used the right surname and everything else then it will be fine.

I had a typo in my passport number on ctrip and kept booking tickets with the wrong number until I got corrected my ctrip profile details. I just had to get it corrected at the service desk each time until eventually I remembered to fix it when I got home.

>>1145034
>Any foodies here? co/ck/s?
ex-cu/ck/ here I guess

Shanghai...there's a good touristy area you can go to that has all the really famous Shang Hai stuff, not especially pricey if you just go upstairs to a smaller food hall or something. It's an restored 'old town' area.
>>
File: LP-China-p184.png (88KB, 413x637px) Image search: [Google]
LP-China-p184.png
88KB, 413x637px
>>1145034
>Hong Kong
There's a whole bunch of stuff to check out. I don't really know how to give you an easy answer on that. Go to some old fashioned yum cha I guess, there's one south of the big temple everyone goes to in HK island. Another good one between Wan Chai and Causeway Bay.

Definitely try some fish congee.

You need to tell us way more about your HK trip to get better advise.

pic related to previous post
>>
File: LP-China-p185.png (140KB, 427x653px) Image search: [Google]
LP-China-p185.png
140KB, 427x653px
>>1145034
>Shanghai
pic related

The bazaar mentioned is super touristy but has multiple food courts selling all the famous stuff and some new inventions.

The giant crab soup steamed bun is really good but give it a minute, it's super hot.
>>
>>1145040
Thanks for the tips!

In Shanghai I will be staying near Nanpu Bridge area (close to central) for a week, then in Hong Kong I will likely be staying in Wan Chai for ~6 days.

I am travelling alone with no real plans other than eating good food, go to some bars and hopefully meet up with some expat friends who are there.

I don't mind battling the touristy areas if there is some must try foods on the table
>>
>>1145043
If you have expat friends then just talk to them, they'll know the place well enough.
>>
>>1145028
Thanks anon, do you know anyone from or in Jiujiang or are you going off of internet wiki stuff?
>>
File: .jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
What is the extent of russian influence in harbin?

Would I look out of place if I wear a ushanka there in the winter?
>>
>>1145129
>do you know anyone from or in Jiujiang or are you going off of internet wiki stuff?
Neither, I've travelled near there and to the surrounding cities, just not to Jiujiang. It was on my list but something came up and I went off to Changsha instead. Also not that far away I think, though Wuhan is probably closer.

Wuhan is big and a pain to get around though, Changsha is more cozy if you just want to do some shopping and hit a bar on the weekend.

>>1145151
>What is the extent of russian influence in harbin?
There's a famous russian orthodox church in the middle of the town.

>Would I look out of place if I wear a ushanka there in the winter?
Not at all, Chinese wear them in the north. A lot of police and soldiers wear them too.
>>
>>1145151
Russian food, Russian churches. Not sure about today but there used to be a lot of Russian expats too.

And no, it's totally common to wear these over these.
Hell, I've seen weird shit in China and they away with it.
>>
Has anyone had any luck picking up girls in China as a white American man? I found Japan to be relatively difficult - they were more looking for long term relationships.

I just got a 10 yr. Tourist visa for China, so I thought I might check the country out for a few months. I'll be flying into Beijing in September and I was originally planning on heading to a smaller city, unless someone thinks that the dating would be easier there. I was thinking about perhaps Gansu or Yunnan.

I found Peruvian girls "hard to get" until you isolated them from their friends... then they got freaky. Would China be similar in any way?
>>
>>1145275
I only spent a month in China and only got with one chick but I wasn't chasing them.

Girls are more interested outside the big cities but there's less English speakers. A lot are shy about their English skills but put some effort in and it's easy.
>>
>>1145283
Where in China were you?
>>
>>1145283
>>1145283
>>>1145275 (You)
>I only spent a month in China and only got with one chick but I wasn't chasing them.

I'm planning on getting a TEFL certification and spending my time there scoping out employment opportunities - I don't necessarily plan to spend my day chasing them. But the fact that you got somebody (which is better than many's experience in Japan) makes me hopeful.
>>
>>1145275

Depends on the city/area/how old you are/how good looking you are, etc etc

I'd say half or more girls you come across will claim to be traditional and want a relationship or think sex on the first date is bad.

It's getting harder than it was 5-10 years ago. there are something like 60 million tourists coming to china every year, mostly male. and now you've got fucking boat loads of european and russian kids coming here to 'study' but end up teaching english. they're starting to turn up in the most backwoods tier 2 and tier 3 cities, it's a joke lol.

in short, most cities have already been exposed to foreigners. an increasing attitude among the people is that the girls don't give a shit about foreigners anymore, or they demand a perfect laowai.

maybe try Vietnam. the girls look roughly the same, but it's not currently the in thing to go there.
>>
How do I say, "you wanna fight?" in Chinese. First thing I want to say to someone once I leave the airport.
>>
>>1145359
"to fight" is "dǎjià" so I suppose it would be "nǐ yào dǎjià ma?"
>>
>>1145298
Beijing, Shanghai & the Southwest

>>1145299
Honestly, just get out and do shit and you'll meet people. Lots of the hostels I stayed at had Chinese travellers who wanted to chill and/or help me. People complain about Chinese tourists but all the younger ones I met were cool.
>>
>>1145359
>How do I say, "you wanna fight?" in Chinese. First thing I want to say to someone once I leave the airport.
You better not be in Harbin or Dalian. Those guys were aggressive. I watched a 6' bulky Russian guy get the shit beat out of him by two 5' skinny Chinese dudes after getting into an altercation at a bar in Harbin.
>>
>>1144998

Hey, i'm off to Wuhan in Sept. Jiujiang is on my list so it can't be that bad a place!

Besides that as the other anon mentioned already Lushan is meant to be quite nice and i'll be hiking around that area for sure.
>>
>>1145572
Wuhan seems like the nearest big city that's pretty good. How come Jiujiang is on your list, may I ask?
>>
>>1145574
>Jiujiang

Mainly as a base for exploring Lushan, but I also love bridges and there is a pretty cool one in Jiujiang.
>>
>>1145577
>a base for exploring Lushan
It's also an hour from Nanchang but Nanchang doesn't anything to recommend it.
>>
>>1145581
Would it be hard to pick up girls in a smaller place like Jiujiang?
>>
What's Nanchang like

I hear it's tier 3 with no metro yet, but how bad is it.
>>
>>1145583

Mate, how well do you pickup girls where you are from? It's the same anywhere, women around the non-western world are no longer falling over for white dick.

Sure in smaller cities in China the barrier to entry is lowered but they aren't falling over themselves to get you. As long as you have something about you and aren't fat / unsociable / ugly then it'll come.
>>
File: 20150603_152324.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150603_152324.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1145590
>What's Nanchang like
>I hear it's tier 3 with no metro yet, but how bad is it.
That's not inaccurate, it's just much too big to call tier 3.

It has a walmart but the western restaurants aren't that great. I guess they have a good one or two but nothing really special. I didn't go out partying there but I suspect that there's no real expat area.

There are one or two things to look at but nothing worth making the trip for IMO. It does have a huge square to 'honour the martyrs' of the massacre that started the communist/nationalist civil-war. There's an old river palace that's a bit more interesting but nothing you can't see many other places, a bit better preserved I guess.
pic related, you can go up, I'll post a pic from the top
>>
File: 20150603_155447.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150603_155447.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1145611
>I'll post a pic from the top
>>
File: 20150531_115754.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150531_115754.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>1145577
>exploring Lushan
Lushan is mostly about either hiking on paved trails around the place or seeing various old western built houses bought by communists etc during the revolution.

pic related was where Mao and Chiang Kaishek were house-mates while they plotted revolution.
They hid out on Lushan to avoid Japanese I think, all the western missionaries sold their holiday homes here to the revolutionaries before heading home to the USA/UK to avoid the war.

There's a famous CCCP conference centre here and Mao built an estate, nothing outrageous really. His bedroom is preserved and you can see his dressing gown, stuff like that.
>>
I'm moving to Beijing to study Chinese soon.

Since I'm older, I will be getting my own place. How much am I looking at for renting a room out of a shared flat (preferably with other foreigners) near Sanlitun or one of the other international areas?

Also, how bad is the pollution, weather and the city, really? I've heard Beijing ren and the surrounding provincial people tend to be even more rude and uncouth than other areas of the country. The "nongs" are a bit much, I guess, is what I've heard.

Thanks for the help.
>>
Anyone have insight concerning Fudan University? I'm planning on studying abroad there in the spring of 2017
>>
>>1145671
>How much am I looking at for renting a room out of a shared flat (preferably with other foreigners) near Sanlitun or one of the other international areas?
>Also, how bad is the pollution, weather and the city, really? I've heard Beijing ren and the surrounding provincial people tend to be even more rude and uncouth than other areas of the country. The "nongs" are a bit much, I guess, is what I've heard.

Sanlitun is inner-city, it's the embassy and bar and foreign district, more or less. It's one of the most expensive places to live in the world.

Apartments go for about 5k-20kRMB/room/month depending on quality.. That would get you a luxury apartment in most other cities but more like a room in Sanlitun.

>nongs
I have NEVER heard any expat in China use that word. If you just want to bitch about nongs then fuck off back to whatever racist sub-reddit you crawled out of. You're no better than 15yo /b/-tards saying nigger to be edgy. Internet racism doesn't translate into real life and just because you read it on reddit doesn't mean that it represents the majority experience.

>heard Beijing ren tend to be rude
It's a big, busy, expensive city, surprise. NYC is welcoming and generous, right?
>>
>>1145847
>I have NEVER heard any expat in China use that word. If you just want to bitch about nongs then fuck off back to whatever racist sub-reddit you crawled out of. You're no better than 15yo /b/-tards saying nigger to be edgy. Internet racism doesn't translate into real life and just because you read it on reddit doesn't mean that it represents the majority experience.
Not the dude you replied to but I've been on 4chan for 11 years and I can't tell if you're joking
>>
>>1145847

Calm down, Chen.

I first heard the word "nong" from other expats in China. And from ABC or CBC Chinese guys born and/or raised abroad themselves. Unless you are delusional, the nongs can and will be unbearable and make you want to explode at times.
>>
Here's a question not related to money or pussy:

What are the best dishes to try in China? Preferably from the local cuisines of Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong.
>>
>>1145847
New Yorkers I've noticed are exceptionally polite. I'm not saying there friendly but it's so much easier to walk down the street without getting heckled, harassed or intimidated than in Chicago, that other American urban metropolis.
>>
>>1146055
Hooker pussy.
>>
So I'm beginning to understand that the Chinese concept of timeliness is a bit unique, but holy fuck when am I going to get my invitation letter?

My job starts in a month, my school said they had all the necessary documents over two weeks ago, and that was the last I heard
>>
File: 1456969554981.jpg (422KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1456969554981.jpg
422KB, 768x768px
>>1146114
>>1145847
>>
>>1146130

What school?

I guarantee you they are doing shady shit.
>>
>>1146130
My school took it's sweet time too, and so have many other school's of people working there in my organisation. Honestly from what I gather Chinese people just don't think to inform you of important shit, like it's not a big deal to them.
>>
>>1146183
It's a public school, I signed the standard government contract. My concern isn't so much shady shit as it is, holy shit please send me the fucking letter so I can apply for my Visa in a timely manner.

>>1146211
It's kind of frustrating. I was originally supposed to start orientation/work on August 22 but then got informed last week that I had to change my plans because of the G20. When I asked how they thought it was reasonable to inform me two weeks before my flight they laughed it off and said "Oh it's Chinese culture thing"
>>
>>1146055
>What are the best dishes to try in China? Preferably from the local cuisines of Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong.
In Hong Kong, Yum Cha, it's a meal rather than a dish but it's where the best stuff is.
Maybe Crystal Prawn Dumpling might be my favourite Yum Cha dish but deep fried chicken's feet are close behind.

In Shanghai, Xiaolong bao are easily the best.

In Beijing cuisine, got to go with Peking Duck.

>>1146130
>the Chinese concept of timeliness is a bit unique
Lots of countries are slack, the Chinese aren't unique.

>>1146217
>It's a public school
You're probably ok then but be sure to follow it up. Chinese in business spend a lot of time chasing shit up.

>>1146217
>When I asked how they thought it was reasonable to inform me two weeks before my flight they laughed it off and said "Oh it's Chinese culture thing"
Yeah, that pisses me off to.
People pull unreasonable shit on you and pretend it's cultural, they'll bait&switch and pretend that it's just the language barrier.

They'll try but you don't have to let them get away with it, if they pull that shit then just call them out on it and stand your ground. It won't make you any friends but there is no expectation that you should put up with that kind of shit. They'd just be telling some different story to Chinese.

I have Chinese friends who serve as my "is this reasonable?" test. Whenever someone pulls that kind of shit they always tell me to BTFO the asshole pulling it.
>>
>>1146219
hey it sounds like you have experience

I'm leaning between an international school position in taiwan with shit pay and long hours, but it's good experience

on the other hand, I see ads for jobs that LOOK like those resume baiting scams. don't ask me how someone steals your identity with just a resume, but I keep reading horror stories like 20% of foreigner teachers end up getting identity theft'd.

on the other hand, it(there are a few actually) promises to pay up to 24k-30k renminbi, and if it's on a public school schedule they also offer up to 3 months paid vacation.

it sounds too fucking good to be true. but I couldnt take the lower paying job if I was beating myself up about what "could" have been.

I appreciate any insight.
>>
>>1146233
>leaning between an international school position in taiwan with shit pay and long hours
That doesn't sound like something I'd lean towards.

>>1146233
>on the other hand, it(there are a few actually) promises to pay up to 24k-30k renminbi, and if it's on a public school schedule they also offer up to 3 months paid vacation
That *does* sound too good to be true but maybe it's in Beijing or something where it might be more reasonable. I do know people paid that well but they generally work for universities and have qualifications in addition to their degree.

Be sure and ask what their visa arrangement is but I would be cautious with an offer that good.
>>
>>1146268
>taiwan
it's a good school, I'd be teaching english fluent students subject courses, which is what I've always wanted to do anyway. the pay is lower because it's taiwan, and the hours are what you'd expect from a normal job instead of the ESL lazytrain, so maybe I exaggerated. it's a real job, and I'd like to use this to graduate to an international school with better pay, which is a more reasonable long term goal, I think

>china
I've frequented a few forums and median pay seems to be around 15k renminbi. their rough estimations are that maybe 2% of the jobs pay 25k or more, and will be located mostly in shanghai, bj, or shenzhen.

they are offering a z visa. what I'm wary about is that they'll either sell a scan of my passport, so they reccomend that I send it directly to the embassy myself, or that they'll pull a bait and switch on me when I get there, either with lower pay, or by rescinding the 3 months vacation. some have warned me of this. 30k rmb is a lot of money for china,. I would believe it for an international school for expats, but a beijing public high school?

thanks for the help so far. I don't want to be overly cautious, but I also don't want to get my identity stolen or something.

fwiw the school website looks legit. but I'm only a lower intermediate in mandarin. all I can really do is rely on other people's advice.
>>
>>1145847
>nong detected
>>
>>1146219
Thanks for the food advice senpai.
>>
Hi this anon >>1146130 back again. Talked to my school today and she said they're still processing my documents and to please wait.

What's the polite culturally sensitive way to say "Holy fucking Christ are you kidding me? My flight leaves August 30th and you haven't even mailed my work permit/letter yet?"
>>
Hey /trv/ I'm going to study in Beijing for a year with Kaplan International. Some info about me:

>light skinned Mexican
>18 yrs old
>know Spanish, English, and a bit of French

So basically what I want to know is:

>how will the locals treat me?
>can i make gains off of chinese food?
>do they have decent gyms? (Squat racks, deadlift platforms)
>how difficult is it to learn the language?
>is Mandarin a useful language for business etc.
>how bad is the pollution?

Any other tips are greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
>>
>>1146627

Its a meme/flavor of the month language. It will be useless in 10-20 years, just like the hype about japanese was in the late 80s/early 90s.

>pollution

It's off the charts, particularly in Beijing. So bad your throat will most likely close up a bit and your eyes will start watering when you land.

I wouldn't recommend coming to China to study. If there's still time to change, I'd go with probably any other country in Asia.
>>
>>1146627
>>1146702

Forgot to mention

>chinese food

It's disgusting slop with very little protein. Protein will cost you a pretty penny here.

Also, most websites and other stuff will be blocked. Internet is slow as fuck everywhere. Beijing has brutally cold winters and hot as fuck, unbearable summers.
>>
I'll be in North East China. Can I get anything OTC like opiates, benzos (Xanax for example), or even ambian? If not, how do I do this?
>>
>>1146627
Most of your questions are nonsense but I'll answer two.

>protein
Protein powder is readily available, either as something like soy powder or the regular western stuff.
>pollution
Winter is worse, the north is worse than the south. In much of the south, you never notice it. In the north in winter it can be bad. Beijing is worse than most places but there are a few spots even worse.

The information on how to research pollution is already in this thread.
>>
>>1146730
don't help him. he's going to an affirmative action school almost certainly off of the pell grant or GI bill. he's too stupid to do due diligence in researching even basic questions about HIS OWN FIELD OF STUDY.

he's wasting the government's money, and the rest of our patience. he will fail, then blame someone else when he ends up unemployed because he was too stupid to do basic research. it shows in the very types of questions he asks.

mexicans like him get carried through life. let him fall down for once.
>>
>>1146743
I was going to jump down your throat for being a racist twat, but then I googled kaplan international and yeah, it's a diploma mill

But you're still a racist twat
>>
>>1146753
>hi guys, I'm wasting tens of thousands of dollars in government money on a program
>I've already decided to waste the money. is it good?
he's a mexican getting federal funding and is showing NEGLIGENCE.

he's obviously negligent. and that makes me racist?

buddy you're free to give him YOUR money if you like. except you WONT give him your money. so don't tell me I'm racist because he's wasting mine.
>>
>>1146757
>I'm not racist because there are other things I hate about him besides his race, which was the first thing I mentioned
Trump will save you
>>
>>1146753
oh, and I already know what you're going to say in response. kill yourself

he's going to end up unemployed and poor, and then he's going to blame white people for racism.

so it's MY FAULT that we pay for his free college tuition, then he decides to waste tens of thousands of dollars per year BEFORE doing basic research about

>is mandarin hard
>is mandarin good for business

if he can't do research about something WE GIVE HIM FOR FREE, then why are WE racist when he FAILS? why am I racist when HE CANT READ.

fuck off. kill yourself.
>>
>>1146760
>>1146757
>he's going to end up competing for the same blue-collar minimum wage jobs that I'm struggling to hold, boo hoo the mexicans!
Whitey is mad as fuck
>>
>>1146753
>I was going to jump down your throat for being a racist twat, but then I googled kaplan international and yeah, it's a diploma mill
>But you're still a racist twat

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Sometimes racists twats are getting all wound up about actual idiots.

It's times like these when I have to think about who to support or whether to just get some popcorn and watch. But when you don't call out racism (or any other form of bigotry) then you condone it by default so yeah, it's worth calling it out.

>>1146757
>he's obviously negligent. and that makes me racist?
See: >>1146759
They explained it perfectly.

You could have called him an idiot and we'd be agreeing with you but instead you had to stick in Trump macros and cry about affirmative action so we criticise you because we don't want you to have the illusion that you speak for the silent majority or some bullshit.
>>
>>1146764
right. you think the EXACT same thing as me, for the same reasons.

he's a mexican who gets pell grant money worth tens of thousands, and wastes it like every other pell grantee. and THEN it's RACISM's fault.

you think the exact same thing I think except you don't want to get killed in a BLM mob, so you say I'm not racist to protect yourself.

cool man. fuck yourself.
>>
>>1146765
>everyone is thinking the same thing I am, they're just afraid to say it
No, not really, you're just a twat
>>
>>1146765
>right. you think the EXACT same thing as me, for the same reasons.
No, you're the one making it about him being a Mexican and posting Trump telling him to go back to Mexico.

BTW: Since lots of Mexicans are born in southern USA because their family lived there when the US conquered it. Where do they go back to?
>>
>>1146771
>spends 20k government dollars before even asking if the free money the government gives him is a good idea
I don't hate mexicans because of trump. I hate mexicans because they do what the poster BLATANTLY ADMITS to doing. and we're fed up with people who refuse to even discuss the issue, and just call us racist in response.

what he has is a GOD SENT opportunity that many people would kill for. and he's stupid, and wasting it, and then COMPLAINING HE CANT MAKE IT BECAUSE OF RACISM. yes, racism caused him to waste a godsend opportunity. sure.

you better pray that trump doesn't win the election. because you people are out of a job if he does.
>>
>>1146782
>you people
Yes, many of us with job descriptions that didn't exist in 1957 will be out of work as trade barriers go up and the post-2008 recovery gets squashed like a cockroach.

But surely you'll be fine! Once the coal mine reopens everything will go back to the way Grandpa said it always was! Just need to restructure the economy a bit to increase consumption of domestic steel, coal, and so forth. Then you won't have to compete with Mexicans for that floor mopping job at Wal*Mart, it will be the American Dream!
>>
>>1146785
brilliant economic analysis. let me guess, you actually think the economist is written for economists? kek
>>
>>1146788
There is no economic analysis, the guy you're voting for has no coherent policy positions other than "build a wall" and "kick out all the shitskins". Having an articulate point of view would cost him the only slice of the electorate that wants him in power
>>
>>1146782
>I don't hate mexicans because of trump. I hate mexicans because they do what the poster BLATANTLY ADMITS to doing
Sure he hasn't thought through an opportunity but that isn't because he's Mexican, it's because he's young. Plenty of other kids do the same thing. When you blame something on his race then it's racism, don't you understand that?

>you better pray that trump doesn't win the election. because you people are out of a job if he does.

kek. It probably won't be great for my industry if Trump wins because I work in research and some of what I do uses technology funded by research grants from western governments, USA included. So when Trump shuts down grants to public research institutions like the NIH and Academy of Sciences in favour of businesses that make him money, I could suffer in an abstract way that will take about five years to really have an impact.

You seem to think that he'll round up all the liberals and send them to the salt mines or something. In fact liberals are the ones who'll be least affected by him because we tend to have office jobs and be well educated, not the struggling working-class that will get it in the neck from Trump. Wall St will be ok with Trump and that has way more liberals than you realise. Banks and big corporations employ lots of liberals, they're just owned by republicans.

Anyway, I'm not even in your country, not even on your continent.
>>
>>1146765
>>1146743
>>1146757

Don't bother arguing with the guy. He's not even American, he's some British half-asian redditor and liberal fucktard SJW that travels around China living out of hostels, doing "IT work" remotely.

Unfortunately he contributes the most to China threads and usually starts every thread.
>>
>>1146840
>He's not even American!
Oh, that's a burn right there.
>>
>>1146840
Trumpie is arguing with at least two people, I'm a US born American citizen but obviously since I'm brown (foreign) and have a white collar job (unamerican) that basically puts me in the same category as usama bin ladin and Jane Fonda
>>
>>1146840
>travels around China
>contributes the most to China threads

So the China travel thread gets posts from people travelling in China?

HOLD THE FUCKING PRESS
>>
>>1146851
>Trumpie
Obviously, he's a Trump-pet.
>>
Go back to /pol/.
>>
>>1146865

I mean, it's nice we get some decent info on Chinese cities from the guy from time to time. It's just a shame he/you has the same political standings of a limp-wristed SJW pussy cuck.

:^)
>>
>>1146702
>meme/flavor of the month language

what exactly does this mean
>>
what exactly do chinese people think of their government, and all the shit that happened in the 20th century? do they still like mao, or are they more apathetic to politics? by western standards, where exactly would they stand on the political spectrum?

just curious. from the few chinese i've met, it seems kind of hard to tell without just asking, and i don't want to ask.
>>
>>1146941
>what exactly does this mean
I thought anon was pretty clear, whether you agree with them is up to you but they're saying that it's being hyped as "the next big thing" the same way that Japanese was in the 80s. In reality, business in China is easy to do because every big western company has lots of locally born Chinese who speak both languages fluently. Still, Mandarin definitely doesn't hurt to know and it's been useful to plenty of business people.

Whether you think Mandarin is a meme language depends on whether you think China is really going to become/continue to be a superpower or whether it's going to go bust and disintegrate. Anon obviously thinks that China is doomed and will become an economic backwater or something.

I don't really agree with them and I think it will still be a useful language but they're not wrong about Japanese. Nobody got fast-tracked to executive level because they spoke Japanese. Mandarin is probably more useful right now than Japanese ever was but the same shit being said about Mandarin now was once being said about Japanese and it turned out to be nothing.

There are businesses and industries where Mandarin is a useful thing to know but it's not a golden ticket to anything. Especially useful if you were planning on a later career with three letter agencies or diplomatic corp or something.

>might be different if you're in Africa, some of those places are getting yuan poured into them
>>
>>1146946
>what exactly do chinese people think of their government, and all the shit that happened in the 20th century? do they still like mao, or are they more apathetic to politics? by western standards, where exactly would they stand on the political spectrum?

EVERYBODY knows that the government is corrupt, most people don't care. The ones that do don't think that they can do anything. Some accept the corruption as the price of good government, somebody once told me that for such a good job running the country, party officials deserved to make their families rich.

Nearly everybody will basically accept that the communists do a good job of running the country. That might seem crazy to westerners but Chinese people have seen horrific shit happen in their lifetimes and that shit doesn't happen anymore. Constant improvement has a way of making people accept a few problems.

Nearly everyone thinks that Mao was a great man who did great things and made China what it is but made a few mistakes towards the end. The official CCCP line is something like 80% good, 20% bad. I've heard a few people talk shit about him but it's rare. Even people who were more or less persecuted by the party call him a great man. The modern party has nothing to do with maoism beyond the idea of controlling power, his economic and other philosophies are dust, only his ideas about political control and grooming new generations of party cadres to ensure perpetual dominance (and relevance) are really intact and they're actually becoming stronger and stronger under the current regime.

People tend to be pretty apathetic about politics, especially the educated ones. Western political spectrums are irrelevant, they don't measure the same things. Chinese people would be all over the place on different issues in ways that might not make sense to people used to casting a single vote to somehow represent twenty issues.
>>
>>1146946
>all the shit that happened in the 20th century
Some of the present day patriotism and party loyalty that Xi is pushing hard does make a few people nervous, mostly just people who haven't forgotten the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution or actually know about Tiananmen Square.

His cult of personality stuff and the new mandatory patriotic stuff at government offices is scaring older people who can remember the last 50 years but nobody can do anything about it and the younger people often don't realise that there's anything to worry about.
>>
>>1146851
naw. you're osama bin laden because when brown people in america waste free money you call racism. fuck off and die.

>>1146958
>western political spectrums are irrelevant
this is almost as vague and wrong as saying there's a perfect 1:1 correlation

there are pretty decent correlations for most base issues with a weird reversal here and there concerning their social conservatives regarding communism. their politics isn't some weird foreign unicorn. they have the same types of issues as us, on the whole, and the same general types of people tend to think what you might expect. some people call this "essentializing."

the great myth of american politics is that because we're immersed in media 24/7 that it makes us smarter about the issues. or...maybe it makes us more brainwashed? chinese get a decent education in political process via their cultural register. the most astute among them know the struggle isn't visible.

you might see disneyland or harry potter land as the crowning achievement of american propaganda. an entire fake place that immerses you in a world that you WANT to believe is real without overtly telling you a whole lot, it sure can shape the way you think about things. the chinese version of it is basically free of those propaganda aspects, free of that narrative voice, etc.
>>1146974
chinese are apolitical because maoism was the practice of internalizing political doctrine as the confucian value of self discipline. they realized it didn't work. they don't think, by and large, that internalizing a different set of values is going to make anything better on its own, including western ideas. they just want a system that works.

nobody is scared of xi except for corrupt officials. he's not asking for oathes of loyalty to an impossible to fill ideology. he's punishng people who take bribes, high offices that commit felonies, etc.

shit, I WISH american politicians were afraid of breaking the law.

that doesn't make it persecution
>>
>>1147014
>he's not asking for oathes of loyalty
Yes he is.

Chinese journalists are being asked to swear loyalty to the party. Not proverbially, literally. Obviously the party means Xi.

>nobody is scared of xi except for corrupt officials
That's all of them. Except that the ones that are actually arrested are the ones that oppose Xi in some way, usually just by having been mentored by actual high-level rivals or just potential ones. The corruption campaign achieves two goals, it does actually clean up the party a little bit and install some discretion about corruption but mainly, it removes any internal opposition to him. Fuck, the biggest group purged by it were actually neo-maoists. He purged them all and then stole their ideas and executed them for himself.

Not that the victims of the campaign aren't guilty of corruption, it's just that they were chosen for being opponents, not for being corrupt.

>this is almost as vague and wrong as saying there's a perfect 1:1 correlation
So are Chinese left wing or right wing?

That's what I meant by saying that the spectrum is irrelevant. They're just not left-wing or right-wing or liberal or conservative in a way that westerners can say that they are. Obviously, Chinese society has a morally conservative tendency that isn't universal but is still pretty common but where you you say they are on small/big government or state/federal centrism or light-touch/regulated economics or anything else? They're all over the shop and half the time the issues wouldn't occur to them. How many Chinese libertarians have you met? I'm sure there's a kid somewhere who has watched every Ron Paul talk but few Chinese would appreciate the concept as a thing that was possible, let alone agree with it.

>>1147014
>shit, I WISH american politicians were afraid of breaking the law.
They're afraid that it will get out, the media will crucify them for ratings and their opponents will use it as ammunition in the next campaign. 差不多.
>>
>>1147014
>naw. you're osama bin laden because when brown people in america waste free money you call racism. fuck off and die
You're racist because when brown people do something you don't like, you say that it's because of their race instead of because of that individual's personality traits or whatever. That's what racism means moron.

t. not even brown
>>
>>1146974
>>1147167
Can confirm anecdotally.

Older (50s and above) aren't happy with what Xi is doing with the cult thing, but the younger adults don't really seem to care about it. Communist party membership gets used for benefits in the workplace, nobody really cares about the party.
>>
>>1147167
>oaths of loyalty to an impossible ideology
I think you missed the subtlety of my point.

praising maoism ends with everybody dead because maoism was impossible to implement. xi is asking for people to not be corrupt. he's offered grace periods for various types of disclosures. that's not impossible.

criminals SHOULD be afraid o the law. it's funny how xi critics come to the support of industrialists who are invariable more corrupt than xi himself...

why is it that leftists always find a way to defend criminals?

>neo maoists
that's exactly what I'm getting at. maoism is dangerous because it threatens power, because it's SO easy to simply become more ideological rather than have to accomplish something.

>stole their ideas
uh?

>left/right
I think you're trying left/right to individual issues. some of our big issues aren't issues over there, but that doesn't say anything about the primacy of left-right divides. rather, it makes a very profound statement about the fact that many individual issues are completely irrelevant to politics itself, as well as being completely irrelevant in ANY context. it's like asking about whether democrats or republicans in america are more likely to masturbate to cartoon horses that are imaginary. libertarianism is imaginary, it doesn't exist except in the minds of libertarians. an imaginary concept doesn't invalidate the left/right dichotomy.

individual issues is not what the dichotomy is built around. the issue is built around issues of how conflicts with power are resolved. but I don't feel like making a post abuot 200 years of french history.

>>1147168
and you're an idiot because you think screaming racism is an adequate way to cover up facts about the way educational funding is appropriated
>>
This thread went to a bad place. Can we just talk about travel instead of stupid USA political memes?
>>
>>1147209
2016 USA politics has to be the most toxic thing ever created. Its because everyone gets this infowars shit off the internet then decides to make that their entire identity to make crusades against the other side they perceive to be wrong in the world and the liberals are doing the same thing. Trying to eradicate conservatism lmao.

Back in 20 years ago it was just two different views on religion and life that compromised... sorta... and somehow could unite to get things done.

Now we might need to split the country into two different countries its getting so bad. What the fuck.
>>
>>1147210
>2016
McCarthy wasn't that reasonable a man either. It's not all new.
What is kind of new is people talking shit online and actually believing it. The shit on 4chan used to be ironic.
>>
Serious question: I think I got genital warts from a dirty chinese bitch I banged recently.

Can I get antibiotics at the pharmacy, or do I need to see a doctor first?
>>
>>1147309
>Can I get antibiotics at the pharmacy, or do I need to see a doctor first?
Antibiotics can be obtained without a script, just go to the pharmacy. If you want strong ones then you'll need to see a doctor. You can't treat herpes with antibiotics though, penicillin is only for some types of VD.

If you're this ignorant about STIs then I wouldn't go pointing fingers about where you got them. Just see a doctor, what do you have to lose?

Maybe use a fake name if you're worried about your visa. Most hospitals aren't that strict about patient registration, scan and photoshop your passport, changing the number and name just slightly and print it and say it's a photocopy. If they later compare it against your visa record and ask questions, you can pretend like someone made a typo.

Hospital visits are generally pretty cheap in China and you shouldn't take risks with your junk.
>>
>>1147340
someone this dumb, by the way he talks, probably banged a prostitute

met a million guys like him

chinese girls are actually pretty clean. I've never had a single problem
>>
moving to china for work. should i avoid fucking expats? seems like too small a world, unless they're just tourists.
>>
>>1147474
they're mostly toxic, but there are good ones. it's kind of like the wild west. chinese population centers have a habit of attracting both the worst chinese and expats, as well as the eccentrics. there are still good people.

learn chinese but there's no sense in driving yourself insane. have some beers, shit talk in english, joke about chinese poon.

people like feeling superior to others, they'll find any avenue they can to calm their ego. at the same time, you will be lonely on some level if you don't integrate.
>>
>>1147474
>should i avoid fucking expats
Well you should avoid fucking this one: >>1147309
He's got herpes, the dirty slut.

Basically all my friends are expats these days, with a few random eccentric Chinese and local ethnic minorities thrown in.
There's plenty of good people around, also plenty of losers. I'm friends with both types, if you're obsessed with judging people then you won't have a good time because the circle of people that meet your standards will be small and half of those won't want to know you because you're always judging people.

Just be cool and friendly with everyone, the bitter fuckups that complain about everything and rant about nongs all the time will probably keep to themselves anyway so you probably won't even meet them.

The expats that married a local girl, probably have a child and are here for the long term, tend to be the nicest people. I guess because the only reason they're still in China is either that they like it here or because they have a family here.

The expats that stay in China because they couldn't do anything else or because they have a warrant back home, tend to be pretty horrible people but they can be ok to play pool with.

Basically, be friendly with everyone but don't go lending money or anything and only bother judging people when you're thinking about who you trust to invite to your home.

The only time I've really bothered judging somebody was when I met a Texan in Haikou who I think was avoiding rape charges in the USA by living in a sham-marriage with some Chinese woman that he cheated on constantly because he actually hated her and was just using her for a spouse visa. Met plenty of scumbags but that's the only one I wasn't prepared to have a drink with.
>>
>>1135393
For KTV, should you mimic the artist's voice/tone or sing in your own voice? Also are you supposed to dance or move around while you sing? I don't know where else to ask this , I'm going to a Chinese KTV room and I don't know how it works.
>>
Anyone here who wants to go out in shenzhen tonight?
>>
Do Chinese students out of China date white guys?

Or is it just a big no?
>>
>>1147562
>>>1135393 (OP)
>For KTV, should you mimic the artist's voice/tone or sing in your own voice?
Just use your own voice. Perform as well as you're able, it's supposed to kind of be a performance.

>>1147615
>Do Chinese students out of China date white guys?
I dated a few chinese students before going to China, it's a bit harder work than usual but definitely doable.
>>
>>1147650
>I dated a few chinese students before going to China, it's a bit harder work than usual but definitely doable.
Any tips? I'm thinking of asking her for a drink or perhaps rather to go do an activity?
>>
>>1147664
>Any tips?
Read the sticky. Try >>>/adv/. Do not try /r8k/

The only advise that is in any way relevant to this thread is that Chinese are actively discouraged from dating in high school so many are inexperienced and quite ridiculously innocent.

Because they tend to be so repressed, the opposite sex talking to each other doesn't automatically imply romance. This makes it pretty easy to get to know them as friends first, which is one side of the normal course of events for Chinese dating. The other side is setups, Chinese are big into arranged meetings by people who think that a couple might be ok for each other.

I suppose the final point is just that relationships are considered a pathway to marriage. There's no settling down, early relationships are only supposed to exist with people worth marrying and it's really just about testing out whether they're marriage material. Not dating for it's own sake.

Of course there are plenty of Chinese who like the western way of doing things and don't give a crap about Chinese traditions and actively want to get away from that shit.
>>
>>1147508

>Texan in Haikou

Haha, he's living the dream. I also want to get a spousal visa. How does that work exactly?

You marry some rich desperate Chinese woman and you get citizenship after a few years?
>>
>>1147474

In tier 1 and now tier 2 cities there are literally hundreds of thousands (if not a million) of expats.

I don't think you have to worry about a small world or running into the same people unless you frequent the same bar or club every week
>>
>>1147736
not even close to a million it's around 600k all inclusive
>>
OKAY GUYS LET'S GET TO THE IMPORTANT SHIT

does pokemon go work in china???
>>
This can't be right. The train ticket from Beijing to Lhasa Tibet is 1000 yen, like 12 dollars?

Holy fucking shit.
>>
>>1147735
>spouse visa
Get married, have medical checkup, do paperwork. Lasts two years. Stay married.
More like, marry a poor middle-aged woman.
>>
>>1147736
>>1147820
In the biggish tier 2 cities, it will tens of thousands.
I have actual figures for two cities. Ningbo has about 44,000 and Hohhot has about 10,000. Some cities have foreign factories etc and have more.

I run into people I have met before all the time, even in different cities. On planes and in bars and just walking down the street.
>>
>>1147735
>get citizenship after a few years?
It's more than a few I think but yeah, it can be done. Hardly any westerners ever do it, it's usually Africans that do and they're usually the Chinese end of an import/export business that ships factory made shit over to their family in their original country.

Sometimes it's because their home sucked but usually it's to do with business in some way.

China doesn't do dual-citizenship, you have to renounce your original citizenship to get Chinese citizenship unless you have birth rights from both countries and even then China will try and make you choose one or the other.
>>
>>1147820
>>1147854

Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou all have to have at least a million foreigners in each city now. Especially Shanghai. And aren't there like 500k Africans in Guangzhou? That's not counting Arabs, whites and other foreigners.

Chengdu, Wuhan, other tier 2 cities probably have close to 100,000 foreigners now.

>>1147842

lolno. 1000 RMB = $150 USD
>>
>>1146703
>>chinese food
>
>It's disgusting slop

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1147842
yen is the japanese currency dumbass
>>
>>1143124

你會說中文比較好
>>
First time going outside Australia and I'll be meeting up with a work colleague in Shanghai.
My friend is Chinese however I am as White Australian as it gets. Apparently his aunty will provide a place for us to stay for a week and will cook.
Anything I should know or see?
Thanks guys
>>
>>1148408

His auntie will stink up the apartment with her shitty food. And will probably be a nuisance in general.

Waking up at 6am and making a lot of noise, etc.

I Airbnb'd in China and was forced to share a flat with an old chink couple once, so I know.
>>
File: china rant.png (857KB, 1400x5552px) Image search: [Google]
china rant.png
857KB, 1400x5552px
Are mainlanders really that terrible? All the ones I've met at hostels have been really nice, one guy even insisted on paying for my meal. But I hear from Taiwanese, HK's and Malaysians I've met, and of course that internet, that they're inhuman barbarians.

Kinda putting me off learning the language desu.
>>
>>1148484
that's like saying "are americans really that terrible"

mainlanders get a bad rap because when you notice them, you notice them doing a lot of distinctly mainlander bullshit that pisses people off

for every obnoxious mainlander spitting or running over people in their purple ferraris, there are about fifty that you never even noticed, going about their business being normal
>>
>>1148484
the taiwanese that complain about mainlanders to whites are like upper class liberals from a safe area who have never dealt with crime that complain about racist rednecks to blacks.

they're more concerned about their "image" than actually helping anyone

believe it or don't. they're not going to lose anything by not having your holiness bless them with your presence
>>
>>1148484
No.
Agreed with what's been said above, plus the obvious that a lot of hate is nationalistic and/or politically driven.
In reality, these folks are more alike than they'd like to admit, but what they've been taught in school and told on the news colors their perception into a twisted reality.

Read what I wrote below and I promise I am not /pol/ but:

Taiwanese butthurt over the Civil War and will never get off their high horse over how 'superior' their perfect democratic nation is compared to the PRC.
Hong Kong butthurt over essentially being treated as a thing to be passed along from country to country. The Sino-Brit Declaration is apparently being violated in some ways and true democracy stifled, so people there feel like they are seen as worthless in the eyes of the PRC, and need to fight back.
Malaysians... I don't know. I was treated like family by ethnic-Chinese Malaysians when I visited Malaysia but I don't know how the rest think.
And mainlanders see this hostility from HKers and TW and respond in kind, calling them equally mean.

It's a tragic thing, politics mingling with cultural relations, but that's the nature of the world.
>>
>>1148484
>babby's first experience with capitalism.png
>>
really wanted to go to china, but my plans were kind of dashed

turns out I'm not really employable over there, and their visas are really restrictive

also really put off by the sheer amount of misinformation, and lack of official chinese soures
>>
>>1141234
Depends on where in Tibet you're going. DON'T PUT IT ON YOUR ITINERARY. You have to send your passport to a travel agency, who will set you up with an Tibetan Entry Permit. Once there, to get to most anywhere, you'll also need to apply for an Alien's Travel Permit to be allowed to roam around alone, and you'll need an -additional- military permit to get into occupied areas. Which is everywhere. Unless you're using a tour, the last two can only be obtained inside Tibet.
>>
How easy/difficult is it to get drugs in China? Would many people casually smoke weed like in the West? How about psychedelics like shrooms or acid?
>>
>>1149346
Not easy unless you hook into a scene. That's not impossible though, usually through other expats or Chinese in the clubbing scene. Hang around in the scene and make friends and you'd find something eventually I guess.
>>
>>1149496
Even Chinese I know that like drugs, don't do them in China. Just on foreign holidays, study etc.
>>
I posted this in another general thread and was told to kill myself. I hope I can find more reasonable advice here.

I found a decent position in Shenzhen I am interested in and they want a third interview tomorrow. I think I am qualified and that I would enjoy it, however I just learned that a criminal background check is required for a z visa.

I am a criminal; on my record is a misdemeanor charge from about a year and a half ago for petty larceny. I don't know how to proceed: should I give up trying to work in China or are misdemeanors not immediate disqualifiers? I would love to receive advice from you guys: should I just tell them the truth asap or try to sneak around it and maybe lie on the application? I don't know what the best approach is as I've never had a problem like this.
>>
>>1149542
Yeah you should probably go ahead and kill yourself
>>
>>1149542
Depends on what the background check means. If it's just a form that you promise that you don't have charges then whatever, they won't check.

If they want you to provide paperwork from the cops then you're screwed and should play it straight and hope it's not a deal breaker. Don't forge the paperwork, that's a big deal and could have consequences in your own country that you won't be able to easily avoid.
>>
>>1149823
I don't know exactly what it means to be honest. I got the job already and am just going to wait until they mention it before I either let them know about it or just glide along.
>>
>>1149542
>was told to kill myself
Whether or not a teenager decides to kill themselves is the biggest decision of their life. We need to discuss it.
>>
>>1149879
The typical process is that they will invite you over and tell you everything is in order, and it's not in order. they'll have you working over there without a visa and then ask you to get your documents notarized so they can send them to the appropriate places. oh, you don't have a notarized background check? they can't get your documents authorized. now you're working illegally, and they can work you for unpaid overtime, or you can be arrested. Imagine what happens to a criminal who is illegally in the country, working illegally, after making false claims that he's not a criminal.

uh oh.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.