[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it still possible to become an "explorer" such doing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: kontiki.jpg (324KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
kontiki.jpg
324KB, 800x566px
Is it still possible to become an "explorer" such doing scientific field work in remote locations or finding ruins and/or historical artifacts. Can this be a job or is it just an unobtainable dream?
>>
Scientific work, sure. Finding ruins and artifacts as well but it's very, very competitive.
>>
yes, but it's probably not easy, you'll have to at least be a doctoral student and have an actual plan no one is going to give you money to go fuck around in the middle of the jungle
>>
Yeah, how many ancient ruins have they found in the last couple months? A whole new Mayan city, another complex near Ankgor, a new site at Petra...
Unfortunately these were all done by people sitting in front of computers using satellite imagery. Get yourself a GIS degree.
>>
>>1132079
>scientific field work in remote locations
There are weather outposts on very remote islands and in the (ant)Arctic. But IIRC, you have to be a citizen of the weatherpost's country, so that might limit your options.
Off the top of my head you'd have to be: Canadian, American, Danish, Norwegian, Russian, British, French, Chilean, Argentinian, South african, Australian or New Zealandic.
>>
>>1132079
No, everything has been explored.
>>
>>1132104
I've heard of the whole Antarctica thing before. I'm American, is it quite competitive in general?
>>
>>1132456
I know Raytheon has an Antarctic "Polar" enterprise, maybe look them up. There's a sizable community at McMurdo, but I'm not sure how happy those people are.
>>
>>1132109
This, didn't the achievement pop up, op?
>>
>>1132086
What majors would warrant this type of travel/exploration, I am very interested in the history and biology of islands hence the Kontiki image. Can this only be an interest or is it possible to make a career out of this?
>>
Except oceans, marine biologists find weird shit still all the time.
>>
>>1132497
Archaeology or Anthropology would be good majors to look at. You'd probably need to go for a Master's/PhD though.
>>
>>1132497
Archaeology is almost impossible to get into. Most countries only allow their own archaeologists, with the exception of teams associated with a few of the top schools in the world. Most of the stuff in America gets covered by some Indian Affairs, and the local band controls it.

There's some stuff with paleontology. But there isn't very many good formations to study.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIyi_mHcNAg

There's a lot more opportunities with biology. There's parts of the Amazon, New Guinea and African jungle that haven't been properly documented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTMyDtHZXIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXAqfOMLw8

Unlike some other science, there's a potential for commercializing biological discoveries. There's more money and opportunities.
>>
>>1132556
Also, geologists are in demand, go find that oil!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.