[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 22

File: FH000015 (4).jpg (402KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
FH000015 (4).jpg
402KB, 1000x670px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1127235
>>
Why is accommodation in Japan so expensive?
>>
>>1130227
long term or short term? It's actually pretty reasonable outside of big cities
>>
Are there any good podcast type learning resources to learn a bit of Japanese? I listen to Pimsleur during my commute currently, but I get the impression it's too formal. Something more conversational.
>>
Hey guys...

So, I have been to Japan a couple times before. Both times it was short trips (about 12 days each on average) with more or less rushed itinerary. The kind of itinerary where you don't get wasted any single day because you can't afford a hangover, as you are tight on time. I was always jelly as fuck of the european tourists and their multi month, super chill and easy trips.

Since I will soon be quitting my job here in Berlin because my current one sucks balls, and flights are cheap, I decided to go there two whole months this time. My flight has already been booked, and it is open-jaw, starts in Sapporo and ends in Fukuoka. So I have two whole months to run through the country north to south. The idea is going south along with setting the autumn, and enjoy the scenic views and mild weather of autumn.

So, I have a few questions for you:

- Suggestions for favourite things "off the beaten path"? By beaten path, I mean the usual Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Hiroshima shit. Anything from towns that you like, or areas of cities that you think are of interest would be nice. I will have plenty of time.
- Any tips or advice for long-term traveling? Most i've done so far is two weeks and a half, so I am curious regarding whether or not there are special considerations for longer trips.
- Would a suitcase be OK?. I am thinking of moving from accomodation to accomodation with a carry-on suitcase and a 25L daypack.
>>
>>1130254
cont...

Here is more or less a raw itinerary. It's still unfinished. Feedback would be much appreciated.

> 14 days for Sapporo Hakodate, Sendai, and Aomori or Akita
> Day trip to Nikko along the way, as I head south to Tokyo.
> 14 days in Tokyo, with day trips to Hakone and maybe some other stuff.
> Depart from Tokyo to Nagoya
> 5 days in Takayama / Shirakawa / Kanazawa using the Hokuriku regional rail pass
> 15 days in Tokyo / Osaka, probably based off Kyoto for the most part, and staying in Osaka a few nights during a weekend for the nightlife. Side trips to Nara, Uji and temple stay in Koyasan.
> 7 days travel south towards Fukuoka using the Sanyo Sanin rail pass. Would probably include Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and 1 day of hiking in Kumano Kodo.
> Spend last few days in Fukuoka and sorrounding places

I am budgeting around 550 eur of total transportation expenses to transverse the country this way, using 3 regional passes.
>>
>>1130228
> Be me
> Stay in perfectly central tiny private room in Shinjuku airbnb
> Pay 15 USD per night

Nowadays private airbnb rooms are a bit more expensive, but you can easily get a no-frills private room for 25-30 USD. Now, if you want a western style hotel with large rooms in central Tokyo, then don't complain about the prices.
>>
>>1130268
how did you get that? got a 48$ airbnb at best with portable wifi, a/c, 2 minutes from shinjuku station, 1 room. It was in july though
>>
I may be different, but I like to live large when I visit other countries.
>>
>>1130254
>>1130262
Matsumoto is a nice town in the "alps". great as a base for seeing more things in the area like the shrine in Nagano, hiking up Norikura or going to the national reserve Kamikochi. Check out candela guest house for accomodation.

Kanazawa is a nice town, very lively during friday-saturday night since all the youth in the area, and even from kyoto, comes there to party. Check out the old samurai house for some culture. Takayama is nice enough, though I didn't like it that much, quite a lot of tourists. You can take a free shuttle bus up to a luxurious hotel on the hillside and use their bath for quite cheap. They have a hot-water pool that flows over the edge, overlooking the whole town, really cool in the night when you can see the lights spreading out in the valley. check guesthouse hida-takayama for directions.

If you're interested in seeing the shrine of all shrines head to Ise and visit the heart and birthplace of the Shinto religion. They also have a very neat "preserved" (see: rebuilt) old edo-style town that feels quite authentic for being such a tourist-heavy area. (japanese tourists, mind you)

You say "off the beaten path" but still go to hiroshima and other prett worthless places, especially if you've been before (?). Feels unnecessary. Since you're going there in autumn I'd stay longer in the northern parts as they are said to be the most beautiful at that time of year.
>>
File: DSC01368.jpg (6MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01368.jpg
6MB, 5472x3648px
>>1130254
>>1130262
>long-term traveling
I'd honestly consider 12 days or so being quite a long trip. Anyway, it's usually about pacing. Your two months can feel like a lifetime if you do what you want, when you want. Stay a few nights extra at that nice hostel, decide not to stay at all in some town because it was shitty, etc.
But at the same time, if you follow a strict schedule or are too stressed out mentally by for example having a JR pass and just keep going from place to place it'll be over before you know it.

That's my two cents; find a pace where you feel like you're doing nothing and just lazing around, while actually doing quite a lot. Also, take "breaks" from traveling if you feel the need. It makes the remainder of the journey so much more enjoyable instead of trying to just power through.

Finally, you might feel lonely at times. I know I did during daytime, and sometimes just wanted the day to pass so that I could return and meet fun people at the guest house. It happens, don't worry.

Luggage: sounds fine, though I personally much prefer having only one large backpack, keeping my hands free. But sure, you can't really keep dress shirts or ironed trousers in it.

enjoy your holiday
>>
Okay so i've just returned from Japan with my partner, and since coming home he's had this idea in his head that he wants to move to Japan and start up a small hospitality business like a food stand or truck. I'm aware that the market is already saturated but he thinks it could work. How plausible is this actually? Considering we are both Australian and don't speak much Japanese i'm thinking not likely, at least not for another few years if it is. I've already done a bit of research but i'm interested to hear what you guys think.
>>
>>1130320
Thanks for the advice. I'm not a chef, but he is fully qualified. I know it's a long shot and fairly risky but he seems really keen on the idea. Maybe in a few years when we have our shit together a bit more we can look into it further. I'm only 21, he's 23.
>>
>>1130321
Unrelated, have you seen the movie Chef?
>>
>>1130321
Also he was thinking more Osaka rather than Tokyo.
>>
Anyone know how often Hakone Sightseeing Cruise boats depart? I wanna do a hike early tomorrow going taking the boat from Moto-Hakone to Togendai, but I need to be back by afternoon to catch my train to Kyoto. I don't really understand the timetable on the website.
>>
What's the best way to exchange USD to JPY? Should I do it at a bank here before my flight, or at the airport?
>>
>>1130368
The Japanese banks give giod rates. Travelex gives shitty rates
>>
>>1130262
Near Sendai, Matsushima is a must, and I recommend Naruko hot springs too, if you have time. The fox village is great too, if you like animals.
>>
>>1130315
No joking, you have to be ready to either pay the Yakuza protection money, or get your shit wrecked.
>>
>>1130345
This one?

http://www.hakone-kankosen.co.jp/foreign/en/timesheet/index.html
>>
Can I get batter quality for the picture?
>>
>>1130315
If you don't speak the language fluently or have a Japanese person who can represent you, I wouldn't even bother. It would be too much of a hassle and they'll make you go through bullshit after bullshit which will diminish your spirits without a doubt. Stick to the traveling, not the living
>>
I got a job teaching English in Japan. The work visa is sorted and I'm leaving next Sunday.

Problem: my company (NOVA) still hasn't told me where I'll be living and working. Is this pretty normal?
>>
>>1130435
No, it isn't.
While i had to go through the living thing pretty much by my own, I've got told my teaching locations(Partly a university and a high school) 2 months before.
>>
>>1130276
That was a long time ago, airbnb was rather new in japan and it seemed like some hosts were inexperienced and just testing the waters. The same place was much more expensive the last time i checked. I guess they figured people still rented with higher prices, so they jacked them up
>>
>>1130374
>>1130368
and the 7-11 ATMs plus JPost ATMs.
Even with the 3% fee for conversion + flat $5 fee on ATM transactions, it was way better than exchanging money at the airport in japan.
>>
Finishing a one-year language study in Kansai soon.
I have free 5 days in late July.
Trying to decide between Okinawa and Sapporo.
Which would you choose?
>>
Anybody have experience getting a working holiday visa for Japan? I've been reading stuff online, but a lot of the articles are years old. FYI I'm planning on teaching part time while staying in cities for a few months at a time.
>>
>>1130496
Being a sucker for beaches, I'd go with Okinawa.
That being said, I've heard Hokkaido is gorgeous in the summer.
>>
>>1130499
I'm leaning towards Okinawa.
I'm getting mixed reviews on the weather in late July.
If it makes a difference, I'll be going alone.
>>
>>1130496
>1130496

I don't get how people can just fuck off and do this for a year. Wasn't it massively expensive?
>>
>>1130439
NOVA is a legit company. I used to work for them.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They'll tell you before its time for you to come, but they do like to drag their feet on that shit
>>
>>1130502
My university has a transfer agreement with the university here in Japan. Staying here for a year cost the exact same as 1 year studying at home.
>>
>>1130496
never been to Sapporo, but personally, I would take more time to see other parts of Hokkaido as well, not just Sapporo.

Okinawa on the other hand is pretty easily explorable within 5 days imo
>>
Me and my soon to be wife planning to go to Tokyo for our honemoon, probably for 10 days. If possible, we might stay for another week and goo to Okinawa, too. I want bore you the usual tourist questions but what would be some romantic stuff we could do or something that would fit the occasion?
>>
>>1130610
* won't bore you with
>>
>>1130610
anal
>>
>>1130610

Take her to a nice soapland for a couples spa day.
>>
>>1130610
Visit one of the tentacle rape gardens
>>
>>1130610
vaginal
>>
Goddammit. What an amazing trip. Back to reality tomorrow. Fuck the next year or two before I come back.
>>
Hey, I blindly bought a normal sized SIM card instead of a nano sim, since I was tired and I didnt double check if I was given the correct size.
Any chance yobodashi (where I bought it) will cut it for me? I already know that I cant return/exchange it since I opened the packaging
>>
>>1130610
aural
>>
Of course. And since it's our honeymoon, I'm ready to spend a bit more and maybe book a room in one of those traditional japanese hotels. But are the walls in these places thinner than in a usual hotel? Do you have to be more quiet? We're not the kind of people who have to scream and shout just so that everybody else knows that we're having Sex but I don't want to go to a love hotel just because our neighbours can hear everything we do in our room.
>>
>>1130788
meant for
>>1130614
>>1130689
>>1130707
>>1130780
>>
File: 32421412341.jpg (83KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
32421412341.jpg
83KB, 620x387px
I'm visiting Tokyo for the first time in a few months, so quick question; I don't know a single lick of Japanese, so will I be fine with getting around, ordering food, etc? Do most people speak a vague amount of English or should I start learning an immensely basic understanding of the language before I go?

It'd be nice to speak and read the moonrunes but I don't have a lot of time to learn given my work schedule so only if it's 100% neccessary
>>
>>1130802
Not necessary 100%, just helpful and people might respect you more
I dont speak any japanese and havent had any big issues
>>
>>1130802
Tourist trap areas dont normally need you to speak english since most of those places deal with internationals on a daily basis. But if you go to places that arent in those tourist books or what ever, pucking up the google translate app is pretty good for a little understanding if they dont speak english.

This happened to me when i went to monjayaki street thats near tsukiji market. None of the restaraunts had english menus because they rarely have tourists.
>>
>>1130802
Some service industry people don't know any English, and may panic a little when they realize you only speak it. Smile, be calm, use charades and Google translate and you will be fine.
>>
>>1130802
You'll probably be fine most of the time, but some more obscure restaurants will be inaccessible to you unless you're fine with ordering mystery dishes.
>>
>>1130315
>>1130320
>>1130321
I'm also interested.
What about working there as a chef for somebody else, with an intermediate understanding of Japanese?
>>
>>1130788
Ryokans are meant for fucking in.
>>
>>1130847
unlikely, since they have to sponsor your visa and can just pick some jap who will work 22 hours a day.
>>
>>1130853
This pretty much applies to everything in Japan. Japanese people prefer Japanese, whether its people, products, things to do, etc unless the foreign alternative is FAR and away better than the Japanese offering. Just as good and definitely worse do not cut it and aren't considered

Its why getting an English teaching gig is so easy, its why up until Sony finally got their shit together iPhone dominated the market completely, and its why the XBOX has done some poorly in Japan.
>>
>>1130851
>Ryokans are meant for fucking in.
my chinese cartoons are consistent with this.
>>
>>1130851
My GF and I took a weekend trip to a ryokan near lake Kawaguchi a couple months ago and I fucked her in her yukata while she was heavily into her period.
>>
>>1130860
Getting blown in one of the couples private onsens is amazing
>>
>>1130276
You didn't even try. I just booked another airbnb for one day on my flight home and it was 20 dollars and right in the middle of akihabara. Any where on the Yamamote line is good. In fact staying in the northeast area is great for non shopping fags because you right near all the gardens and some of the main temples and museums.
>>
>>1130788
The rokans in the hot spring town kinosaki-Ossan have private baths for couples in some rooms, you should try that
>>
File: image.jpg (665KB, 1280x1082px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
665KB, 1280x1082px
Things I liked about Tokyo:
Riding the train when it was super packed and feeling the body's sway with me, sometimes a girl would be next to my hip, and when it's super packed the whole train rocks together like a dance floor.
Also once a women was rushing around a corner on the platform to get to the exit and her hair brushed against me. Felt so good, never had a girls hair dragged along me.
Best was once I got lucky and a girl fell asleep next to me, wasn't luckily enough to have her sleep with her head on my shoulder but she did lean into me, felt good to have the contact for a few stops before she woke up.
>>
>>1130872
I checked pretty much every day for weeks, nothing under 45$ that wasn't a complete shithole(without a/c, 5+ minutes away from major station). Whole apartment of course. I want to stay near shinjuku because I don't want to go home and go to bed when the trains stop going.
>>
>>1130262
Come get drunk with me in Sapporo~

I really recommend going up to Cape Soya on Hokkaido if you hit a window of really good weather. There's a ton of nature along the Okhotsk sea, good seafood, and a healthy sense of isolation. On really clear days you can see across the strait to the Russian island of Sakhalin~
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 600x450px
>>1130877
>want to stay near shinjuku
Theres your problem. if you want to stay in the one of the most expensive district's in the world, you going to pay. Different people I guess, but I don't get the point of trv just to get drunk and shop. I mean sure doing either for one night is fine, but don't structure your trip around it. I'm sure you could find something cheap even just a few stops away. Unless you want a big place (why).
>>
>>1130880
Why would you not want to enjoy every single night? Pretty much everything else you can easily do during the day, but being out past midnight sucks in Tokyo unless you're in one of a few places or you're willing to pay out the ass for taxis
>>
>>1130882
If you want to stay it past midnight just go to a all night karaoke with all you can drink, which is way cheaper outside that area anyways. But then again I'm not a alcoholic like you.
But like I said, different people, it's cool. Being out all night on the street sucks in any area, you still have to find a place to party.
>>
Teaching has always been my dream and i would love to teach in japan
(i'm french so i would be teaching french)
The problem is, i haven't graduated high school and i have no diploma, absolutly none, is it possible ? I look white, speak french and english, some korean
>>
File: ss (2016-06-22 at 05.26.24).jpg (284KB, 747x711px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-22 at 05.26.24).jpg
284KB, 747x711px
>>1130880
look at all those 20$ airbnbs. are you the one staying in the tent or the bunk room in sagamihara?
Sure, I could pay 10$ less per night to stay in a shitty area and spend another hour in trains every day, as well as pay for more train tickets because there's nothing to do where I'd live.
>>
Found out today that I might be retarded, not only did I buy a regular sim card for my nano sim phone (and of course opened the packaging so I cant return it), but when I caved and bought the sim card cutter to cut it down I also found out that the contact part is bigger on a regular sim
Now I have a 1month 1gb prepaid microsim, I cant use and a simcard cutter which I also have no use for.

Now that Ive already wasted 4000yen should I buy a (used, cheap) smartphone that takes micro sim which could also be good since google maps cant find me exactly on my current smartphone or should I buy a nano sim and try to sell the micro sim to another tourist?

Also, good cheap date ideas?
>>
>>1130900
You didn't even zoom in. Why do these threads always end up with this off topic back and forth posts anyways
>>
>>1130905
zooming in does not give any more results, there are 5 places near tokyo for 20$, one of them is a camping site and one is an ad for a place that's actually in kumamoto
>>
File: image.jpg (655KB, 1527x1579px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
655KB, 1527x1579px
>>1130907
You are a special type of stupid. A lot of these prince rooms are whole apartments if you look
>>
File: 1443117031479.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1443117031479.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
>>1130876
>>
File: image.jpg (697KB, 1510x1576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
697KB, 1510x1576px
>>1130907
. And his is like for the next few days, book ahead for more options. Like I said I got a whole apartment in akihabara for $20
>>
>>1130909
>>1130913
Not on my dates. No 20$ apartments in july.
>>
>>1130876

You sound pretty lonely dude. Didnt you have sex while there
>>
>>1130894
Karaoke is boring as hell without a decent size group. Plus nobody does it all night sober
>>
I leave tomorrow. What ever will I do there? Use advanced toilets.
>>
File: 1431963362494.gif (2MB, 412x229px) Image search: [Google]
1431963362494.gif
2MB, 412x229px
>>1130876
>Riding the train when it was super packed and feeling the body's sway with me, sometimes a girl would be next to my hip, and when it's super packed the whole train rocks together like a dance floor.
>Also once a women was rushing around a corner on the platform to get to the exit and her hair brushed against me. Felt so good, never had a girls hair dragged along me.
>Best was once I got lucky and a girl fell asleep next to me, wasn't luckily enough to have her sleep with her head on my shoulder but she did lean into me, felt good to have the contact for a few stops before she woke up.
>>
>tfw won't be able to go to glorious Nippon for the first time in 3 years ;__;

That said, I'm already making preliminary plans for next summer to keep myself from Sudoku

I have around 3 weeks that I would either like to spend in

a) Hokkaido - Never been there, seems very interesting. Probably won't have a license until then so reliant on public transportation. Would probably spend the whole 3 weeks there, with 2-3 days in Tokyo to meet some friends.

or

b) One week in Tokyo, meet some friends, (re)visit some places and then two weeks in Shikoku. Again no license so heavily reliant on public transport.

Anyone who has been to those places can chime in? Thanks lads
>>
>>1130946
Three weeks seems like way too long in Hokkaido when you dont have much of a plan and know no one there
>>
>>1130954
I just know a few things that I would like to see (Hakodate, Sapporo+Otaru, Wakkanai, Rishi and Rebun Island, Biei region) but I thought that Hokkaido is pretty huge so I should allocate enough time to see most of the things and still take in the nature. How much time would you recommend?
>>
Anyone expiriences with buying cannabis in Japan? Does the police try to lure people?
>>
>>1130965
It'll be the most expensive yet shittiest weed (its always mixed with tobacco to get enough to smoke) you've ever had in your life and if you're caught you'll spend years in jail and forever be banned from Japan.

Weed in Japan is the definition of not worth it. Just get shit faced and enjoy the lack of open container laws and social acceptance of being drunk in public in Japan
>>
>>1130946
Fuck Tokyo. Hit up Hokkaido and eat your way through. Shikoku is great for scenery, but I found Kyushu to be worth my time if anything. Go check out Hokkaido since you've never been.
>>
Any recommendations on what airline to chose for tickets?
Most important good space since I'm rather tall.
I'm traveling from Norway, so it's gonna be one stopover in europe.
I've haven't travelled much, when the ticket search puts up 1 hour between flights then it should be no trouble right?
>>
>>1130982
Forgot to add I'm flying to Tokyo, and to ask if there is any preferred airport to land at
>>
>>1130984
The cheapest one
>>
>>1130895
Eligible for a working holiday visa? Otherwise no.
>>
>>1130387
>>1130299
>>1130310
Thanks for the replies, based anons. Just to help me make up my mind and finalize my itinerary, I am currently building a map with "points of interest". Currently, it's best places for Koyo, and places where to visit or to stay.

The problem that I am having is that the places to stay/visit are apparently clustering around certain areas for some rason. Currently, the area around Fukushima is empty, and the area around North Tohoku is more or less empty as well. Now, I am not planning to visit all these cities and sights, but it will help me plan a definitive route.

Any suggestions about these areas? Here is the map, by the way.

google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1rDz7U-Q5ZsGBRuSGdjjnWxb1kpk
>>
>>1130895
You'd have trouble finding anyone hiring you with a college degree. Theres no way you'll be hired for anything meaningful without a high school diploma. Go back to school
>>
>>1130929
> Didnt you have sex while there
Nope, I stuck out in Tokyo.
A tips while I am in Kyoto area? I got no game though.
>>
I'm flying to Narita tomorrow and meeting a friend who is flying from another part of the country. We are taking different airlines, but arriving at near the same time. What is the best way to meet up? Is there only one customs area, or could one of us walk to another terminal before customs?
>>
>>1131005

j-night.com/
>>
>>1130965
>>1130965

Why are so many people obsessed with smoking weed in Japan? There is one guy in every damn thread asking about it. What's with this obsession? Is it some thrill of knowing the penalties are incredibly harsh?
>>
File: abort.png (525KB, 500x684px) Image search: [Google]
abort.png
525KB, 500x684px
>>1130876
get a girlfriend dude holy shit
>>
Where do you guys exchange money? Or shoud I just do it at the airport?

You can check the exchange rate at the airport here http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/
Where can I see the exchange rate for other banks?
>>
>>1131034

Just do it at the 7-11s
>>
>>1131034
Oh, and don't suggest me ATM, I'm not from America and I get charged 6% on withdraws.
>>
>>1131034
I am not sure why some people talk about using ATMs for exchanging money, but from my understanding, it is ALWAYS best to buy it before hand. Look locally (Google FX rates + your city) and compare what rates you would get and look up your bank's rates and find your best option.
>>
>>1131047
Not that anon, but is it safe to carry around hundreds of yen around with you in the airport and on the plane? Will TSA or customs grief you about it?
>>
>>1131047
The thing is, I'm from Brazil, and buying JPY here is not worth it:
BRL to JPY: 26.595 (best rate in my city)

BRL to USD: 0.280 (best rate in my city)
USD to JPY: 101.58 (narita rate)
BRL to USD to JPY: 28.45

I'm just wondering where can I get a better rate than in the airport.
>>
File: FX rates.png (47KB, 886x643px) Image search: [Google]
FX rates.png
47KB, 886x643px
>>1131057
Just did a quick search with Banco do Brazil rates. You don't need to be with the bank to exchange money, you can literally walk in hand them money and walk away with different money. They might charge you a service fee though. (unless Brazil works differently)
>>
>>1131047
Because for me and my credit union, I get market rate with no extra fee for international withdrawal, and the 7/11 fee is negligible/nonexistent.
>>
>>1131061

Have you actually checked the rate you get? Like compare the amount you got out of ATM and amount taken from your account? Then take that rate and compare it to the spot rates?

What many of the "no extra fees" are bullshit and they just give you a shittier exchange rate to make up for the fees.
>>
>>1131071
Not that anon but stuff like this really isn't that outlandish if you belong to a smaller credit union. I was only charged 1% per withdrawal last year from mine and my benefits aren't exactly top-tier.
>>
>>1131047
My bank gives me better deals using ATM's, it all depends on your bank and country. We get this question every thread and it's always impossible to answer.
>>
>>1131071
Yep, I compare. It's the market rate. Small local credit unions are awesome.
>>
Will someone explain how the 1 year language courses work? If I go there while I already have a minor in Japanese, is it even worth it to study the Japanese language in glorious Nippon?
>>
File: 348s.jpg (24KB, 348x348px) Image search: [Google]
348s.jpg
24KB, 348x348px
>>1130224
I'm looking to stay in Japan for an extended period of time in the near future. It is therefore vital that I know the answer to the following question: Are grits readily available at Japanese grocery stores?
>>
Any cool apps I should download before heading to Tokyo?
>>
>>1131106
No. Corn products on the whole are very rare.
>>
>>1131110
My life is over now, but thank you for your response.
>>
>>1130227
Get an airbnb mate. $35 a night for a nice bed, AC, full kitchen (didn't need it though), nice shower in the middle of Tokyo near a bunch of restaurants. Got almost the same quality of accomodation in Kyoto for $19 a night
>>
>>1130984
Haneda is much much closer to the city proper, but less flights international fly in there. Narita is the usual place, but fuck it's out of the way
>>
>>1131111
Your best bet would be a Costco. Thankfully, grits have a long shelf life, so you could theoretically stock up on them whenever you'd be able to visit one.
>>
>>1131007
They keep hanging up on me, lol.
>>
>>1131148

Weird, what prompts them to hang up?
>>
>>1131007
Can vouch for this
Got a great femdom session
>>
>>1131169

Was interested in that, do they go full strapon?
>>
>>1131171
I didn't go strap on but I've heard some girls do
Mine was somewhat tame as requested, got fingered, golden showered, and played around with. She was also in cosplay. Strictly hj but it was a great experience
>>
What town in Japan would you guys choose to live in? I'm partial to Kyoto myself.
>>
File: awkwardseal.jpg (131KB, 640x410px) Image search: [Google]
awkwardseal.jpg
131KB, 640x410px
>>1131188

Probably in Kabukicho,'cause I like to get roofied.
>>
>>1131188
Even tough I like Kyoto, I think it would get boring pretty damn soon, since it's a touristic city. Once the honeymoon is over, you will probably wished you lived somewhere else.

Personally, I would go for Tokyo or Osaka.
>>
>>1131188
Tokyo, Fukuoka or Naha
>>
What jobs can I get that allow me to live in Japan? Links to places?
>>
>>1131281
Do you speak fluent japanese? Do you have a diploma?. If either of these it's a "no", then your only choice is ESL, and that is only if you are a native speaker.

I work in IT, which is pretty hot these days and allows you for a shit ton of mobility. I am working in Germany using only english to communicate. I just can't find anything in Japan where english is enough. 90% of IT jobs in gaijinpot and other foreigner-friendly sites ask for "business level" japanese.
>>
>>1131281
if you want to work in japan you need a 4 year degree

if you're white you can easily get a job as an eikaiwa teacher or as an alt, but you should probably get a TEFL cert first to improve your odds

https://www.interacnetwork.com/recruit/global.html
http://www.aeonet.com/
http://www.ecc.co.jp/htm/english/
http://www.nova.co.jp/hd/teachinjapan/

or you can get lucky and find something here
https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/index/index/lang/en
>>
>>1131005
just go to osaka bud, i just got back from my 2 weeks in japan and visited osaka, went to tobita shinchi i think its called. 15mins for 100$ but worth a visit.
>>
Thinking about doing Japan from either:

- Dec 26th to Jan 8th or
- Dec 27th to Jan 7th

and basing the trip loosely on these itineraries:

- 13 days: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_11.html
- 14 days: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_12.html

Any feedback is great, thanks. Main interests are local culture, Japanese video games, and any events happening within that timespan... I guess New Years would be neat.
>>
Fuck this flight is long
>>
>>1131188
Tokyo is king. But if I was older and more into the slow life there are a ton of awesome seaside and mountain towns that would be chill as shit to live in.
>>
Barely back from my trip. Already depressed. Already planning the next trip. Fuck, I don't even like anime and jpop, why the hell do love that country so much?
>>
Lads I'm visiting Japan with my girl, total 90 dollars/day for food, 70 for accommodation, reasonable? Will probably Airbnb so will have surplus.
Any excess each day obviously transferable.
Going to Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo and hiking mount Fuji.
Will visit again for other islands.
Any must do things in those cities? Particularly grateful for any unique things to do/must visit restaurant.
Basically going for food and to see weird Japanese shit (going to some female robot war in Tokyo)

Thanks
>>
Any crossboarders here that visit /p/ often? If I went to Japan to buy some camera gear/film, where would the best places to go be located at? Also are Leicas any cheaper there?
>>
the UK just fucked me. My money is worth less on my vacation by the minute.
>>
>>1131371
Yes here >>1131372 is absolutely wrong. As far as film goes, yodobashi camera in Shinjuku has a crazy collection that will make your mouth water. When it comes to used cameras, the shops are concentrated around ginza and shinjuku. Check out Japan camera hunter for s full list. Personally, I really liked this one shop near nakano Broadway, called nakano fujiyasan
>>
>1€=111 Yen

Kinda glad I'm not going to Japan this year desu senpai
>>
>>1131386
>rather eat a few extra pastries then live free.
The markets are retarded anyways, they go down sometimes when a bank manager sneezes the wrong way
>>
>>1131335
You are going to starve to death over the 3day new year holiday when everything is closed.
Book everything in advance because most of the country is on holiday. I would go with the earlier dates you gave, because Japan is crowded enough. Of course there are a few major festivals if you don't mind being crashed to death.
>>
Holy crud how long have you been making these generals
>>
>>1131391
pretty much the only thing helping me cope with not going this year
>>
>>1131386
REEEEEEEEEEEEE LOST LIKE 20% OF MY BUDGET IN 3 MONTHS
>>
>>1131386
>>1131420
This, fuck. Are we completely screwed now?
>>
>>1131391
Glad I dodged the bullet. Went when it was still 130.
>>
So if I remember correctly, prostitution is illegal in Japan. But because of loopholes, it still occurs? Like message pArlors, body washing, etc. Or are there actually escort services?

What's the STD rate in japan? Because that's the number 1 thing I'd be afraid of over there. I heard Japan isn't that informed or well award of sexual diseases like other countries are and teach their citizens.
>>
>>1131432
Paying for vaginal penetration is technically illegal. Everything else is legal to an extent.

Soaplands and such get around it by not selling sex directly. Any sex that occurs is cause they fell in love during the moment.
>>
Is something going on Kyoto?
Any Japan bros know?
I just got refused service at 3 places and the place that did take me, some old guy collapsed walking out, from sake I think. they called the police and the police took pictures of his food and stuff because he hadn't payed, I think. And just now there was a shouting match outside my airbnb room, in the apartment hallway.
So is Kyoto on edge for some reason?
>>
Question for any hikers. I'm planning a 2-3 week trip to Japan in 2017 or 2018, and I'm planning to spend some time in the Tohoku area to visit onsens. I'd like to do some hiking up there as well. I was originally thinking of going in March for the onsens (and avoid cherry blossom tourists when I head south) but it hit me that most of the mountains and trails might still be snow covered that early in the year. Do I need to pick another time to go, or would late March/early April be ok?
>>
>>1131395
Thank you. I'll probably buy food in advance lol
>>
Eurofag here in need of an electricity converter since the one I brought along is not too great.
I'm living next to Shinosaka station, anyone know where I can get one easily here?
Thanks in advance.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 383x383px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 383x383px
>>1131386
>>1131420
>mfw witnessing the downfall of UK's dollar as an Aussie
>>
>>1131591
Any large electronic store has converters. Bic camera has cheap small ones, dont know about donquiote.

>>1131473
Kyoto is like that. They seem to hate filthy gaijin more than other cities. Nothing usual
>>
Why is it so humid..
>>
>>1131473
>some old guy collapsed walking out, from sake I think. they called the police and the police took pictures of his food and stuff because he hadn't payed, I think. And just now there was a shouting match outside my airbnb room, in the apartment hallway.
Sounds like a typical Friday night.
>>
>>1131473
Was in Kyoto earlier for a day
Didn't notice anything up, was quite nice
>>
>>1131593
donquiote should have one - there's a whole floor dedicated to electronics and alike.

This was in osaka though.
>>
>>1131516
After some more research, I think I may be better off for hiking if I go in October.
>>
>>1131291
>if you're white you can easily get a job as an eikaiwa teacher

Obviously being white (and preferably female) is a plus, but it's not like these places just hand visas to people because they're white. Don't give people the wrong idea about the hiring process or a false sense of security. ECC and AEON reject plenty of people, particularly ECC. Recruitment is handled largely by foreigners, not Japanese.

As someone who has applied to ECC and AEON I can tell you the most important thing is being an outgoing normie who smiles. With my AEON interview I see in retrospect that I was probably hired based on the fact that I was wearing a respectable looking suit (you should have gotten a load of this one weeb at my interview session who was wearing one of his old man's shitty ties and white athletic socks with his ill fitting suit), and also based on the fact that I made it a point to talk to the recruiters in the hallway and introduce myself and shoot the shit. Many people just awkwardly shuffled into the conference room and didn't say anything. I didn't do particularly well on my demos or anything but I was still hired.

If you are a smiley, friendly outgoing well dressed black guy, your chances are much better than a white spaghetti monster weeb.
>>
I'm no prize model or anything but after moving from Fukuoka to Tokyo its crazy how much fewer matches i get on tinder even i havent changed my profile at all.
Again, I'm not expecting every girl to ve interested, and im not going to make up numbers but i used to get plenty of matches regularly in fukuoka, but here its next to 0.

What is it? People in tokyo are traveling abd dont check? Theyre more likely to assume foreigners are sexcraved tourists?

Im not really whining so much as im curious why such a change
>>
Anyone live in leopalace? Got a phone call theyre changing internet service or whatever and going to send out wireless.usb sticks or whatever.
>>
>>1131602
Yeah, no shit. I applied to about 20 places and I think only now heard back from the 5th one after a few weeks. Rejected from 2, but also turned away the other 2 just because of how shitty they actually are.
>>
>>1131620
Are you in japan? If not get there first. Apply for alt job, borderlunk joytalk ans heart for example will hire anyone. Show a desire to teach (ie lie), make up an anecdote to how you got interested in teaching. Come over witj one of tjowevsuckers-err, companies, then try applying eikaiwas and sucj after you're in country and have a visa. If it doesnt work out just do alt for a bit to get experience and keep trying.
>>
>>1131623
>tjowevsuckers-err
Uh

I'm reluctant to make that jump without having something lined up first, not to mention it's the off season right now.
>>
>>1130224
Where is the cheapest rent in the country?
And how much?
>>
Idk what you guys were saying, I'm getting tinder matches left and right.
>>
>>1131602
>thinking being white matters in anyway

Every native English speaking foreigner except for Asians are on equal footing in Japan. At the Eikaiwas they don't really tend to discriminate against Asians either although there tend to be less since they can usually find other jobs more easily. The college I worked at though specifically turned down one of my Filipino-American friends to replace me when I left the job though because he "didn't" look right.
>>
>>1131640
I always thought if you swipe left you say no
>>
So we'll be in NRT International, was wondering when exchanging currency, does the place take debit cards or is it purely a cash only?
>>
>>1131689
Cash
>>
>>1130224
How do i join the yakuza
>>
>>1131633
well thats a broad question anon.
dont know what you are looking for but i have seen tiny 1 room 'apartments' (if you can even call it that) for $200-300/month
>>
>>1131705
You just need a tattoo. Any tattoo, even a butterfly flying across a rainbow, will do.
>>
>>1131717
who should i go to after getting my tattoo?
also is there a requirement for where the tattoo should be (which parts of my body)?
>>
>>1131720
get a tear drop under your eye and walk around kabukicho
>>
>>1131726
That ought to help you MEET them, anyway.
>>
This is my third time visiting Japan, the last time being about 12 years ago. It's interesting to see how many more white people are here now.
>>
>>1130315
Food trucks are a pain. That's not a great idea. Try it Australia before if you really wanna give it a go.
>>
Anyone travel solo to Japan with very little or no knowledge in the language? How did it go?

Just curious, I'm going solo this year and have been studying for about a year, but I'm not confident
>>
>>1131843
Sounds exactly like my first trip.

Best month of my life. Don't be afraid to try speaking, and don't be afraid to use occasional (slow) English and Google translate.
>>
>>1131843
Did a working holiday without knowing a single word. It went pretty well, after two months I started picking up the language, half a year in I started to be able to continue a conversation in English on my end while they were speaking Japanese
>>
would the customs agents be able to detect edibles and BHO if i were to bring some (alot) to japan?
>>
>>1131867
>would the customs agents be able to detect edibles and BHO if i were to bring some (alot) to japan?
They may or may not, I doubt it's worth the risk however
>>
Just did 3 escort services without a hitch in Japan

No FS but it was great
>>
>>1131891

How far do they go?

Also aren't you worried of the STD rate?
>>
>>1131892
Was strictly BJ for 2, HJ for 1.

Not worried as much for STDs, as I went through a good intermediary. I wouldn't go through with this personally if I didn't do the research. There's a lot of scams out there if you go in blind.
>>
>>1131895

What kind of scams? Like take you to an alley and Yakuza jump you kind of scam?

How much was a handy? Or how much should one pay for a handy?
>>
>>1131897
More bait and switch if anything. Good looking women will lure you on the streets for a cheap HJ/BJ to a shop, where you will be serviced by much older women instead. The cheap price you were quoted will not include the "additional" charges on top. Expect to get scammed for $500+ for a shitty HJ. If you don't pay, there will be trouble.

BJ can range from 16000-25000 yen per houi, depending on who.

HJ is around 16000 yen, but my session included additional fetishes and services.
>>
>>1131900

What kind of trouble?

$160 doesn't sound bad if the handy giver is attractive. Is there any JAV actressss who do escort? Like Yumi Kazama per chance? It would be amazing to get serviced by such a legend
>>
Where exactly is the best place to view neon signs at night?
>>
>>1131918
I feel like this is either a joke or a troll.

Japanese women want nothing to do with foreigners. This goes with prostitutes, as well. As the previous anon mentioned, if you are allowed to pay (many institutions will turn away your business), you will be turned over to either older (and unattractive) women, Asian immigrants (Chinese, Vietnamese, all of whom will be older, as well), and you will be expected to pay more.

Additionally, your server will not be at all thrilled with having to work with you because you are a foreigner. It will be humiliating.
>>
>>1131933
i thought japan loved everything about america
>>
>>1131925
dotonburi in osaka i guess
>>
>>1131933
Nah. You just have to look up places that have a good selection and accept foreigners, and know who to pick. (it's not very hard)

Source: Checked out 4 places, got FS at 2, blown at 1 and turned away at 1 because I had a brain fart when he asked if I knew Japanese. Got charged the price listed on the website for all of them and even got to fuck the *~top rated~* girl at one.

That being said, what you described can also happen. It's just not particularly hard to avoid unless you literally don't use the internet and can't speak any Japanese.
>>
Staying in Shinjuku for a week what should I do.
>>
>>1131938
>>1131933

Well I am Chinese American so would looking Asian get me into the Japanese places? Or do they have a secret handshake (or bow I guess) only Japanese citizens know?
>>
>>1131900

Does jnight do bait and switch
>>
>>1131950
yeah a secret handshake called speaking japanese

>>1131933
i'm sorry you're too beta to get laid in japan even by prostitutes
>>
>>1131843
it works fine, it does restrict you though.
>>
>>1131939
I got drugged by black people and went to a cat cafe, I recommend both.
>>
Tips for picking up Japanese guys? I know most girls always go over and get easy host dick, but I think most of them look gross. I actually have a thing for older guys, it might be fun picking up some salarymen.
>>
>>1131967
I found they constantly just try to pick you up on the street if you're out at night looking for somewhere to drink, it was only older guys that hit on me, and they were reasonably attractive so you really don't need to try even, it'll probably just happen.
>>
>>1131933
>>1131938
These posts are accurate. When I went, there were roughly 20 girls available for the night. Only 4 of which were willing to do anything with foreigners. That doesn't mean they speak English though.

If your Japanese is limited (like mine), go with a friend. A friend vouched for me and made sure I didn't end up with any fatties. The pictures are a lie.

>>1131956
No, and from my experience with the femdom site of it, the girls in the picture have little to no photoshopping at all. The bait and switch is more from people that approach you on the streets.
>>
I'm staying a week in Tokyo, and will probably be riding the train a lot. I don't plan on going to Kyoto, the furthest I'm going is Chiba. Should I get a JR Pass or just stick with a Suica/Passmo card?
>>
>>1130224

>joining the Yakuza

Mite b cool, but I hate tattooes and love my fingers, and most importantly am not Japanese.
>>
>>1132004
If you aren't taking a bullet train, why the hell would you even consider a JR Pass
>>
Anyone got suggestions for the best day trips from Kyoto?

I've got five days there in the autumn and I'm thinking that's overkill.
>>
>>1132018
Because he has done literally no research and wants everyone to do it for him
>>
>>1132025
Kyoto is the day trip from Osaka
>>
>>1132025
Osaka, Nara
>>
>>1132018
Because I figured it worked for a majority of trains, so maybe getting a JR Pass would save me money. I don't have an itinerary set in stone, just a few places I know I want to visit, but they're mostly in Tokyo.

I'm sorry this isn't the usually Japan General question related to getting handjobs by cheap whores or joining the yakuza
>>
>>1132031
Hur-Dur
http://www.jrpass.com/blogs/which-lines-does-the-jrpass-cover
>>
>>1132031
Even if you take nothing but JR trains all day, even if you ride the train 10x/day, getting the pass is more expensive and a hell of a lot less convenient than a pasmo or suica card.
>>
Is fugu good or just a meme? Want to try it but 100$+ is a bit much of it's just like any white fish
>>
>>1132088
no one ever said its good. its flavorless. people jut eat it because it can kill you
>>
>>1132092
Have you had it?
>>
>>1131950
If I knew about it, it wouldn't be much of a secret now would it?

But really, unless you're fluent in Japanese, you're on the same footing as the rest of us. The main issue isn't skin color, it's dudes who come and are too rough with the girls or end up raping them because they're expecting fs when they were only supposed to get sumata or whatever. Stuff like that.

If you're Chinese and fluent, you'll have access to more places I'm sure, but you'll also probably run into more people that are specifically racist against Chinese. Who knows if it evens out.There's also still a huge chunk of the industry made up of girls who for whatever reason only want a Japanese dude to pay to fuck them.
>>
I just got into Tokyo last night and already have like 10 tinder matches. How do I get into these ladies panties every day of the week?
>>
>>1132161
the same way you do at home
>>
>>1132095
I'm not >>1132092 , but I have had it and he's right; you're supposed to dip it in ponzu when eating it, and all you can taste is the ponzu.
>>
What do japs use for an ID since they don't drive
>>
>>1132194
Are you retarded?
>>
>>1132161
If you have to ask the prognosis is grim autis-kun
>>
>>1131933
>Japanese women want nothing to do with foreigners.

Wew lad.

*Most* Japanese women aren't interested in foreigners (mainly because of the language barrier) but there are plenty of Japanese women who are interested to go around--enough that the ones that don't aren't an issue. Why would you spew such false bile?

Idk what this guy's angle is, if he's a territorial Japan expat who doesn't want other foreigners taking "his thing" in Japan (this is a very, stupidly common unspoken mindset here). Or maybe he's a beta that couldn't get laid himself so he's assuming things are the same for everyone or just trying to make sure other people don't get laid too.

Both very real possibilities. Either way, the notion that "Japanese women aren't interested in foreigners" full stop, is patently absurd.

Also nice meme about "foreigners only get Vietnamese or old Chinese ladies at sex establishments" Don't think I haven't seen your ass consistently in Japan threads spouting this horseshit. King's Club in Yoshiwara is a well known foreigner friendly soapland with cute Japanese girls. Check the sticky for other places.

I'd give you a break if you were a Japanese guy posting to stop foreigners from getting with muh Japanese wimmens, but you're clearly a foreigner which makes it even more pathetic.

>>1131918
>Is there any JAV actressss who do escort?

Many do delivery health and/or work at soaplands, etc. on the side, mainly after they retire from AV. Less prominent actresses often do while they're still performing in films. I wouldn't hold your breath about getting one's services. Language barrier and lack of funds (if you want a really famous girl) will most likely prevent you.
>>
I want to teach in Japan, what programs should I watch out for? Should I get a specific degree or license? Also is Aeon Good or should I avoid them?
>>
Could I backpack around Japan in Winter or would I be better off waiting until next Summer?
>>
>>1132230
Do summer, its more lively and fun. Winter can get oretty depressing and theres not much events.
>>
>>1132227
JET is the best without a doubt, but the most selective. The others I know of are Aeon and Interac. Can't comment on Aeon but Interac is standard eikaiwa stuff
>>
>>1132246
>Standard eikaiwa stuff

What do you mean by this?

Also how selective is jet?
>>
>>1132247
Not him but pic related.
>>
Any soapland or massage places in Kyoto that take foreigners?
>>
>>1132256
yeah
>>
How much money should I set aside for a trip from Toronto to Tokyo for ~a week? Anyone here done it before, if so how much did your ticket and hotel cost? I'd be willing to stay in a place as cheap as possible, just looking for a room of my own and not a hostel. I've been thinking it will be around $1000 for a roundtrip ticket, $1000 for accommodations, and $1500 for spending money, that sound about accurate?
>>
>>1132266
If you plan on balling out every day yeah. Otherwise you can easily cut the accomodation and spending money in half and still have a great time, and not a "real traveler" great time either, but an actual great time.
>>
>>1132258

Could you please list one or two for me?
>>
>>1130874
>kinosaki-Ossan
Kinosaki-san isn't onsen,is it?
>>
>>1132266
Sounds accurate. $1500 is more than enough to spend without really having to pinch pennies.
>>
>>1132269
>>1132277
Thank you.

Any recommendations of any good, cheap hotels?
>>
>>1132279
Just check Agoda/Hotels in the area you'll likely to be in daily. Get a flash sale.

You could AirBNB it but I heard Japan is getting more strict with it now
>>
>>1132247
JET acceptance rate is something like 20% give or take. Requires forms for you to fill out including recommendations from 2 sources. If they like what they see, you'll be called in for an interview. Pass that and you're good to go.

Also >>1132248 is a bit outdated. The salary for JET may start around that, but goes up each year. Other than that, it's pretty accurate.
>>
Why do you have prostitution info?

Do you want to get banned?
>>
>>1132272
nah
>>
Planning a trip to Japan starting to Osaka, what should I be doing in Osaka and for how long before I take the Shinkansen to Kyoto and then to Tokyo?
>>
>>1132304

OK no problem.
>>
Chinese people are the worst tourists here..
>>
>>1132326
This is such an exaggerated ridiculous meme.
>>
>>1132328
Not all Chinese tourists are bad. Not all non-Chinese tourists are good. But the Chinese tourists are disproportionately rude, dirty, loud, and disrespectful. As someone who does a lot of travel and just got back from a month in Asia, it's as true now as ever.
>>
>>1131956
No, and the girl I got was a 10/10. Just a hi though. But I didn't ask for a bi because they said on the phone condom only, besides I wouldn't do it without a condom. I did finger her though. Go to the one in goden, their other locations are not full service
>>
>>1132161
I got like 25 matches and zero meet ups. I think they just swipe right on every white guy
>>
Does anyone else feel like the Japan generals needs a pastebin Faq like most other eternal threads on other boards have? Stuff like the exchange money question. Also the /trv/. Sticky has /too many/ Japan links , so it become overwhelming and I feel people just end up asking questions here instead of trolling through 10 plus websites.
>>
>>1130802
In Japan right now and I've gotten well so far with just "thank you", "sorry", "hello", etc... People just default to English regardless if you actually speak Japanese.
>>
>>1131113
Do you or someone else have airbnb recommendations in Tokyo and Kyoto?
>>
I'm staying at a friends apartment in Kamata, Ota (I think that's what's it called) for a month in August. He says the area is pretty boring. Can anyone tell me something about the area please?
>>
>>1132356
It's pretty boring, actually.
It's the countryside, but not really. It's a few hours by shinkansen from major cities. And there's nothing to do.
I do enjoy the area because of that, actually.
>>
Any rock/metal pub?
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1989x1285px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1989x1285px
>>1132361

>countryside ish

We're talking about the same place right? Ota in tokyo, Kamata station.

Maybe I have a hard time getting round to the Japanese version of countryside, as I'm from the country myself
>>
>>1132365
Oh, my bad!
I mistook with Otta. Disregard what I said in the previous post.
>>
>>1132328

I was just at fushimi inari and hordes of Chinese were constantly blocking the paths.
>>
>>1132246
>Can't comment on Aeon but Interac is standard eikaiwa stuff

Da fuck? Interac is not eikaiwa, it's a dispatch company for public school ALTs.
>>
So, Im planning a vacation to Japan with my family. It will be me and my two sons 10 and 14 and wife. Tokyo is an obvious choice i think. My oldest is very interested in not just the cities but in the country and scenic parts. I was wondering if any of you had any tips from personal experience for stuff for us to do or maybe you've noticed families there if not your own. Help me /trv/.

We are from the US but have been living in Portugal for the last year and want to head East for something unique. We would also like to check out Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia. This will be a couple months worth of traveling. Anyone?
>>
>>1132390
There are several scenic day trips from Tokyo and small mountains to climb (glorified hike). You can also head to Osaka/Kyoto for scenic day trips, and Hiroshima for a great day trip (Miyajima). All of this is doable at 10, assuming otherwise healthy.
>>
>>1132328
Louvre had to put up signs in Chinese telling them to not shit everywhere
>>
>>1132326
I actually to agree, when I was in osaka aquarium there was a large group of Chinese people, they let there children push in front yell and scream and the adults really were not that better behaved.
>>
Is it that hard to get free pussy in Japan now that guys have to go to escorts?

Damn, country must be shit.
>>
>>1132212

>delivery health

I am not familiar with this term. What is it?

Also I'm guessing Yumi Kazama will never do soap land because she's one of the most famous MILF JAVs and I hope she's got enough industry weight she'll be doing granny JAV once she goes past her prime
>>
I'm going to be spending ten days in Japan with my mom. Not long I know, but what are some "non-touristy" things to do? Also, what's some good food? I'm a foodie but my mom isn't, so I'm willing to spend money on the both of us (I have a bit saved up for the trip.)
>>
>>1132431
Can you speak Japanese? If not everything you do will be touristy
>>
>>1132328
>>1132332
Chinese are the American tourists of the 70s. New money with no class and have no idea how to respect other cultures. Not everyone but enough of them. Zero issues with Chinese students studying in grad school and college though.

Im sure in a generation the problem will have fixed itself but its true now
>>
>>1132446
>Zero issues with Chinese students studying in grad school and college though.

Are they here for a rich multicultural experience and are they attempting to learn English and get a taste of the people and culture? Great!

Are they rich fuckheads only hanging out with other rich Chinese fuckheads with no intent to learn any English, experience any culture, respect laws, and do they expect that a red envelope with cash will get them a grad degree like it would back home? Fuck them, and they are coming over in increasing numbers.
>>
File: USS Eisenhower HRBT.jpg (47KB, 736x481px) Image search: [Google]
USS Eisenhower HRBT.jpg
47KB, 736x481px
I'm almost finished with welding school; how do I get a job working in Okinawa or Sasebo? If it helps I'm from Newport News
>>
>blogpost
Had an open teeth while traveling through Japan and it got infected on my flight back. Giant abscess in my jaw, spent two weeks in hospital which kinda fucked up the great time I had in Japan. Now I'm back home and get this strange urge to fly again. I never thought I'd had so much fun traveling alone throught the country and yet I'm set on doing it again next year, probably for a longer period of time.
>>
>>1132447
america's been mucking around in other countries and interfering with their politics and wars (forget fucking tourism and college) for 70 years now. maybe it'll teach us a litle respect to have someone come here and disrespect us.

it's really funny how you complain about chinese who come here and don't hurt anyone, but illegal immigrants who suicide bomb, shoot p nightclubs, and smuggle drugs are a-ok to you.

then we can build the wall once all the dickheads have woken up
>>
Anyone attend a school for learning Japanese in Tokyo? Are pretty much any of them good or is there one that's much better than the others?
>>
>>1132401
if you have to travel to the other side of the world to score because you can't in your own country you should probably just kill yourself
>>
>>1132390
check the links in the OP for info on prostitution
>>
File: keks.jpg (42KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
keks.jpg
42KB, 500x384px
>>1132488
ohohoh
>>
>>1132476
hint
>schools don't teach you language
>not high schools, not college, not conversation schools
>schools do NOT teach you language
got it?
>>
So what certification is the best? I also work 40 a week so I'll probably have to do online courses
>>
>>1132450
>I'm from Newport News
So am I! Small world.
>>
>>1132422
Delivery health is by far the most common kind of sex service in Japan. It's just outcall prostitution. You call or visit a place to make a reservation than you meet a girl at a hotel.
>>
>>1132501
What the fuck is this autism?

I know everyone likes to project themselves as an edgelord who just watched 500 hours of Naruto and played vidya and became fluent, but classes are great and I have never met any foreigner here in Japan who speaks Japanese well who has not at some point taken some kind of classes.
>>
Any good festivals in the March-April timeframe, or October? I'm trying to decide when I want to go, and I'm planning on spending 3 weeks over there.
>>
>>1132558
Google "Golden Week," trains and such will be packed, but there are a shit-ton of local festivals and events. I particularly recommend the kite festival in Hamamatsu.
>>
>>1132565
Thanks. Didn't do any checking during that time period because all the research I've done specifically said to avoid it. I was eyeing the Takayama festival earlier in April, and leaving midway through Golden Week might not be too bad.
>>
>>1130224
About how
Much did everyone end up spending on food?
Also did you eat out or just make food?
>>
How much spending money would I need for a 5 week stay in Tokyo? I'm going to be living with my friend and my main reason for travelling was to practice my Japanese, have some fun and get an idea of what it's like to spend an entire year there (which I'll be doing as of next summer). Basically I'm probably going to stick in Tokyo, and sort of just mooching around, doing what there is to be done at a slow pace.
>>
My poor friend keeps going to massage places here in Kyoto and they all turn out to be legit. Lawl.
>>
>>1131689
Cash. They just fucked me by the way, cus of UK shit I got jewed out of about 14k yen.
>>
>>1132578
Was that intended to be a haiku?
>>
>>1132614
does he think this is thailand? if it's a brothel it's advertised as such
>>
>>1132390
Just went from Thai to Japan (from Portugal too) and holy shit man. Thailand is hot as fuck, you won't see the sun much so don't worry about sunburns but you will feel the heat. I recommend a guide for Thailand although so far I've seen more foreigner support from them (in things such as restaurants and services) compared to Japan. BKK and Hua Hin are nice choices but you could also go to Phuket and Pattaya for the more "adult" entertainment. Recommend you go watch some Muay Thai live. Front seats are like 30€ but it's worth it. Word of advice - to take pictures and talk to fighters, you have to do it between matches. You're fucked if you don't like seafood as most other things are usually subpar, but still good. Be careful not to order too much as this was an issue on almost every meal I had. Hotels usually provide 2 free bottles of water. About to head out to Ikebukuro with friends right now so can't provide more info, but Thai people really like white skin.
>>
>>1132488
I dont get it
>>
>>1132620

Think he's expecting the hj ending. I keep saying the places are legit..
>>
>>1132630
if they offered hj they would advertise it, it's not illegal...
>>
>>1132630
>>1132630
Just wait until he presses the button for water on a vending machine and bottled schoolgirl piss doesn't come out!!!!!
>>
Not sure how many of you here watch enough JAVs, but anyone know/have tried to find this place and go inside?

http://kotaku.com/the-most-infamous-swimming-pool-in-japanese-pornography-1520473085
>>
Going to be in japan this saturday? Any of you losers want to meet up?
>>
>>1132672
"Japan" is pretty vague for a meet-up, anon.
>>
>>1132643
Do they still sell that drink that depending on your translation could be translated as pretty girl pee?
>>
File: el terror.png (245KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
el terror.png
245KB, 1440x900px
Hi guys. I need your help. Really please. So im flying to Tokyo this july as u can see on the pic.
to meet a ldr gf actually.. long story.. but my question is.. i have to go to nagoya shi. i dont know how. could u please help me ? how much is cost and how to move from narita airport till nagoya ?i have around 150k yen for the 4 weeks stay and credit cards.. i will withdraw cash once im there. im mexican. i know how to speak english tho. Just tell me. does anyone knows how to move from narita to nagoya in a cheap way ( sorry for asking this again). I really need help. Please. regards a mexican guy
>>
>>1132720
type in "narita to nagoya" in google and check all the different ways of transport on maps
>>
>>1132720
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=NARITA%20INTERNATIONAL%20AIRPORT%20TERMINAL%201&arv_node=NAGOYA&via_node01=&via_node02=&via_node03=&year=2016&month=06&day=28&hour=12&minute=22&search_type=0&search_way=&transtime=undefined&sort=0&max_route=5&faretype=0&ship=off&lmlimit=null&search_target=route&facility=reserved&sum_target=7

read the fucking op
>>
>>1132730
Man this gives me the train option and just that. how im supposed to travel in train packed with my luggage and backpack to a hotel in nagoya... do u think there's a way to go in bus ?
>>
>>1132736
there's a luggage delivery service where you can send your stuff to the hotel in the airport.
>>
Fuck fuck fuck I lost a bunch of money today. Sometime between the time when I payed for a temple ticket and got off the bus at Kyoto station. :( :(fuck fuck fuck.
>>
>>1132743
Cash based societies are fun huh? How much did you lose?
>>
>>1132672
I'm heading to Tokyo on Monday, but my first week is going to be busy.

Never bothered to meet up with other 4chan fags last time I was there. Going to try it this time, just hoping I don't run into too many weebs with severe autism.
>>
Thoughts on Gaba?
>>
>>1132770
Okay, as far as I can tell. All adult students one on one. But it's better as a part time gig than doing it full time I think.
>>
If I go in October, will Airbnb and stuff like that be a whole lot cheaper? What about food? Do they charge less knowing less people are around?

I can eithr go in September, October or November, halp.

Also, will 5k usd per person be enough for 16 days? Also, for JR rail, I plan to only go to Mt Fuji, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and maybe Horoshima. Would the 7 day pass suffice?
>>
Anyone stay at Sakura House before? Is it as good as it seems on paper?

>>1132558
>>1132569
I went to the fall matsuri in Takayama and it was fantastic. Only downside was the sheer number of people in attendance making it hard to see shit or get around, but the crowd energy was great. The spring one is supposed to be bigger and consequentially will probably be more crowded.

>>1132743
That really sucks.
>>
>>1132770
Depends on if you actually need the job or not. The other gigs, even NOVA, guarantee you a minimum. With GABA if you get a no show you don't get paid and they don't pay for your transportation (which basically every company in Japan will pay for), but they make it very easy for you to just take weeks or even a month off, although that time will be unpaid since they don't offer paid holidays.

They're a good part time gig if you're willing to put up with their bullshit of an interview process (I said fuck it half way through applying 3 times because of all the extra shit they want that no other employer ask for) but if you actually need the money to live off of you're better off elsewhere unless you want to work your ass off sucking up to students in your first couple months of making no money.
>>
>>1132660
I've been there, it's on the top floor of an apartment building so you can't get in without a key.
>>
File: IMG_1285.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1285.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Honestly, how bad are eikaiwa gigs?

I spent a couple of months in Japan last year and loved every minute of it, and I'd love to go back to live/teach for a few years. I didn't make the interview cut for the last JET wave, and I've been reluctant to apply to NOVA, AEON, etc. because of shitty reputations.

From what I've gathered, a lot of people say they're still a good way to "get to Japan" and then to getting other jobs once you live there. Does this mean you can use one of them to get a work visa, then just job hop once you're there to something more ideal? How bad are they just to stick with?
>>
What are some >must see places in Osaka or Kyoto? I've got one day open on my itinerary and I've got no idea where to go.
>>
>>1132799
Airbnb is normally cheaper off season. Food seems static. 5 grand is more than enough depending on your flight. Hyperdia for the JR stuff but assuming you're doing a roundtrip and spreading out the time semi evenly you ought to get two weeks at least.
>>
Planning to climb fuji on the first but there's a streak of wet weather in the area. Hopefully they don't close the mountain and hopefully Fuji will still have a view.
>>
>>1133066
We are staying for 16-20 days I'm only going to Tokyo and some small towns like Kamakura, and then down to Osaka, Kyoto. I dont think JR would be worth at that point...
>>
>>1133005

Unless you're fluent in Japanese you're not going to magically be able to flit to a non-teaching job once you're in Japan.
>>
Hey guys, I came to Tokyo on a whim solo and I'm seriously bored out of my mind with nothing to do and nowhere to go.

Granted, I've only been around Shinjuku but everywhere is so expensive and it takes 45 mins for me to walk to Shinjuku station from my place that once I'm out I'm scared to come back and rest cause I may not want to go out again for the rest of the day. Everything is so expensive here and I'm already down to 20,000 yen from the 37,000 yen I brought.

What do? Anyone free to meet up and hang out? I might just stay in the room and watch TV for my next 7 days here, only going out to Matsuya to eat food cause it's the nearest. I doubt I'll ever come back to Tokyo again.
>>
>>1133137
37k yen isn't much to bring for what sounds like a two week stay in Tokyo.
>>
>>1133144
It's a lot in my currency. It's my living expenses for a month. Obviously I'm regretting it now.
>>
>>1133147
>>1133137
what the fuck? why did you bring 1/3 of the lowest reasonable spending money? take out another 70000 yen and only do cheap shit. also did you know there are trains in tokyo you can take instead of walking? what's your diagnosis?
>>
>>1133137

If this isn't a troll, here's what you do.

Transportation: walk everywhere you can. I walk 15-30km/day when I'm in Tokyo because I like it, but you're going to do it out of necessity. Get a suica or pasmo card, put 2000 on it and take the cheapest subway (use google maps or hyperdia to figure that out) when you can't walk somewhere. Refill it if it gets below 500. If you touch a taxi or Uber, I will murder you.

Food: You fucked yourself here. Only eat at the cheapest places. You could do fast food (McD/etc), but you can eat decently well for cheap at convenience stores and bottom shelf sushi places. DESU this is where I spend most of my budget, so I can't help you beyond there.

Nightlife: Not for you. Bars, clubs, shows, not gonna happen on that budget. Don't even touch alcohol unless you walk by a free whiskey sample at the airport. You can experience a touch of the nightlife by hanging around Shibuya, Shinjuku, etc, but you aint gonna participate. I recommend instead doing other things at night: explore a 24/7 park, check out the sunset over Odaiba, find people putting on public performances.

Daytime: Find free museums. Find free parks (Yoyogi park is awesome on the weekends). Explore historic districts and artsy areas. People-watch in Harajuku. Take the train to Mt. Takao and climb it for a day trip. Go to the Imperial Palace Gardens. Check out some of the unique and large shops (but don't buy shit). If you brought a camera, now's a good time to get to learn to use it.

There's not much more I can think of to do on your budget. Tokyo's an amazing city, and it's not as expensive as everyone says/thinks, but like any city, you do need money. Don't let it put you off from coming again in the future, but try to budget at least 5k yen/day for food and entertainment. Don't regret coming this time - look at it as getting your feet wet in travel and getting over your fears and anxiety. Not many people can jump borders on a whim by themselves.
>>
>>1133117
Didn't mean a non-teaching job, meant a less shitty teaching job.
>>
>>1131732
Neat
But what do I say after meeting them to show my sincere interest in joining them
>>
Moving to Japan in 10 days on a WHV to work at a resort in Ehime prefecture. I know very little Japanese, but the whole staff speaks english apparently and my employer says i dont have much to worry about.

Do you guys know where I can aquire my "alien registry" card? I asked and was told I would get it at the Matsuyama airport but that seems way too simple.
>>
>>1133197
>Do you guys know where I can aquire my "alien registry" card? I asked and was told I would get it at the Matsuyama airport but that seems way too simple.
That's where you get it, just show your WHV papers from the embassy there when they process your passport
>>
New bread >>1133206
>>
>>11331447
My bad for not doing good prior research. Imagine the horror you would faced if you were in my shoes.

>>1133157
The trains are kinda expensive even for short distance trips.

>>1133161
Srs bsns not troll. I've been walking as much as I can but it's taking a toll on me. I wish there were some kind of bike rental place cause I see all these biking and covering so much more distance and wish I could do the same. I don't even take cabs back home, definitely not gonna do it here.

I don't really enjoy drinking and night life places too, although they seem awesome for hooking up and meeting people to make my trip less ronery and miserable, I don't have the balls to approach people too so that's out for me I guess. I'll try the other suggestions. Thanks man.

You seem like a pretty cool guy, if you're in Tokyo would you like to meet up for a drink or something? This too goes out to everyone. I'm up for anything and obviously I do not have money for you to steal or extort so I'm not really worried about being robbed here. You can hit me up at [email protected]
>>
>>1133362

I just left a week ago, otherwise I'd meet up and buy you a drink. Good luck, it's a fun country, if this isn't your dream trip, don't let it get deter you from coming back.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.