[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Azores

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

Considering going to the Azores this year. What islands should I include or exclude from the trip and how easy is it to get from island to island? Also, how much does it cost to hop from island to island by either boat or plane?
>>
I actually live in the Azores. Im on Terceira. When are you looking to come? I can help with some questions.

Check out this site for pricing on the ferry from island to island. It doesnt run all year so keep that in mind.

http://www.atlanticoline.pt
>>
>>1129731
Not OP, but what is the internet like there? Would it be a good place to be a digital nomad for a bit? Is it a good place to pick up some Portuguese or is the accent too different?
>>
>>1129736
Internet in my home is surprisingly good and you can find it available free at most cafes. Keep in mind that that may vary depending on the Island. Sao Miguel, Terceira and Sao Jorge probably best, the rest of the islands are small and may not be as good.

You will certainly pick up some Portuguese but from island to island dialect will be noticable. I tried Rosetta stone Brazilian and it didnt help much. Im learning on the fly.
>>
what is the climate there like? Are there large temperature differences between seasons? Or is it more of a difference in rain/wind between seasons

>>1129736
So seriously, how do I become a digital nomad? Sorry for going of topic.
>>
>>1129762
Climate here is pretty nice. On paper it looks near perfect temps year round. BUT, winter is very windy and rainy. That said it rarely drops below 55f/ 13C which can feel cold.. During summer its beautiful all the time. Without looking id say average temps year round are between 75-55f
>>
>>1129731
OP here. My wife and I are mostly looking for good nature. Hikes to special places (lakes, mountains, whatever), things on the water (we will probably go whale watching). But nice beaches and small towns to go for dinner or maybe a museum or a walk around are good too.

We intend to go for 10 to 12 days or something. Won't have time to visit all the islands, so we want to pick some that most suit our interests.
>>
>>1130012
When are you looking to make the trip?

I can tell you that finding cool places with beautiful scenery to hike wont be a problem on any of the islands. Honestly if you are on a time constraint I would do Terceira. It has Angra Do Heroismo and Praia Da Vitoria as their two main cities and theres stuff to do in both or just finding a cafe to chill and take in the sights you could do that too. Praia has a few nice beaches in close proximity to everything in the city, a few nice clubs if thats your thing. Angra is a UNESCO world heritage center and offers a lot, its a larger city than Praia. I also has Monte Brasil which is a nice place to hike and take in some scenery or picnic. Angra also has a beutiful garden to check out. Taxis between the cities run about 15-20 euro depending on the driver and takes about 20 min (also depending on the driver!) Thats taking the via rapida (highway) or you could take the scenic route along the water and pass through some old coastal towns. Price may increase due to the longer trip.
The best part for you I guess would be that Terceira is in the central group of 5 islands and so going to Sao Jorge or Faial or even Pico to check out the mountain there would be a lot easier than say staying on Sao Miguel and having Santa Maria as the only other close island. Not that those islands arent beautiful.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.
>>
>>1129731
I know there's tons of ships sailing through the islands. How easy do you think it is to approach them and get a ride somewhere? I guess most of them are coming back from the US/Caribbean and heading into europe, right?
>>
>>1130213
I've met a few people who've come via sailboat and stay for a while. They've all been very friendly and approachable but I cant say with any certainty whether or not they'd take you on as a passenger as I've never asked.
>>
>>1130020
Is it possible to do day trips to other islands? So for example you'd leave Terceira to go to Faial or Pico and then take the last boat back? So that way we might be able to stay at Sao Miguel and Terceira and do the others as day trips.
>>
>>1130579
Yes its possible.
>>
What is the best way to get around on the islands? Is there any reliable form of public transport? Or should you just rent a different car on every island?
>>
OP here.

The current plan (roughly) would be to at least visit Sao Miguel, Faial, Pico and Terceira. We'd probably book a return flight from Amsterdam to Sao Miguel. For as far as I know it's the only option for a direct flight.

We were thinking:
- 3 nights Sao Miguel (Caldeira Velha, maybe whale watching, Caldeira das Seta Cicadas, Furnas, hike, drive around)
- 2 nights Pico (hike Montanha do Pico, Lagoa do Capitao , drive around, vineyards, maybe whalewatching)
- 2 nights Faial (botanical garden, Vulcao dos Capelinhos, Horta, Caldeira hike, drive around)
- 2 nights Terceira (lava caves, volcanic areas, hike Monte Brasil, Angro do Heroismo
- 2 more nights on Sao Miguel (chill out)

We intend to get from island to island by plane. Perhaps taking a boat between Pico and Faial.

This has a few problems.
1. Do we need to book all the flights and maybe the boat in advance?
2. We will probably need to rent a car separately on every island as we can't take them on the planes. Do any companies offer package deals for this? Should we book all cars in advance? We might be able to take the car between Pico and Faial though?
3. Do we book accommodation in advance?

Shoot trv. What parts are a stupid idea? What should I change?
>>
>>1132073
Maybe you can rent scooters instead? Easier to load on to a fairy, and it's not like the islands are large enough that the slower top speeds of a scooter will bother you.
>>
>>1131724
Renting a car on every island is possible so long as you can drive a manual transmission. You may be able to find an automatic but its not a guarantee. Expect to pay 20-30 euro per day depending on your negotiation skills. Public transportation is pretty reliable on Terceira with busses running every hour until 19:00. Taking taxis everywhere will get very expensive.
>>1132073
>1. Do we need to book all the flights and maybe the boat in advance?
You still havent answered when you plan to take this trip. Most of your questions are dependent on time of year. For instance this month was Sanjoaninas in Angra and next month is Festas da Praia meaning travel here gets a bit harder and more expensive for lodging. The island really fills up for these festivals. So booking flights in advance is always preferable but probably not the boat as they rarely fill.
>>
>>1132110
It's a good idea, But at that point, my wife will be 4 months pregnant. So I really don't think she'll get on a scooter. She'd be way too scared to fall and have something happen to the baby.

>>1132317
I love driving manual, so that's no problem. With busses I often find they don't go to the spots I might want to go.

Also, we're going the first 2 weeks of September.
>>
>>1130020
hi,
since 2 years i have the idea of visiting the acores and now its about time to go. i have some questions: is there a place to rent fishing equipment (fishing rod..)? and is it allowed to go to ocean and just do fishing? i would like to go fishing and then make bbq somewhere. would that be possible?
>>
>>1132576
I can only speak for the island Im on. Yes, theres plenty of places to fish without a need for license and where you can bbq, camp and chill with no problems. Here, the only place ive heard of that fishing is not allowed is near the marina and inside the break walls. So anywhere outside of the lighthouses is fair game. I have fished inside the lighthouses and never had an issue, its just what i hear from some locals.
Renting fishing equipment im not sure of but you can buy real cheap equipment at any number of chinese stores in Praia or Angra.
There are companies that will take you out on a boat and i imagine they have eqipment available.
Spear fishing you need a license.
>>
>>1132627
thank you, sounds great. im thinking of going there with a couple of friends for a few days, fishing and camping would be perfect. can you recommend a place for camping near the ocean? also what time of the year is best for camping?
>>
Holy shit, this is an awesome thread.
>>1129731
My great grandparents are from Sao Miguel, after seeing some pictures of it, I've had an overwhelming feeling to visit, but I'm just a poor 25 year old student.
You mentioned you're learning Portuguese. Where are you originally from?

How's the job market there? I was looking into this (a pre-med volunteer trip): http://www.atlantis-project.org/
...but I can't help but think I could do the whole thing on my own for a little less.

I live in California, the furthest away from the Azores as I could be. Any suggestions on looking for short term work there? Tips?
>>
>>1132703
Sorry the guy learning portuguese and the one I quoted may not be the same guy.

I'm learning the brazilian dialect through duolingo, I've been told the accent in the azores is "alien"
>>
>>1132677
Man. theres so many places just on Terceira never mind the other 8 islands! I can tell you Porto Martins, Bisquitos, Agualva, Vila Nova are some beautiful places to do what you are looking to do. But there are so many.
As far as weather, it depends on your personal taste. I prefer cooler weather camping because I sleep better so late September to December is best for me. Keep in mind though that on the coast theres a never ending breeze it seems so even in the summer its pretty nice. Best part for some people is that there are NO snakes, no poisonous insects.
>>1132703
If you can prove your lineage you are probably eligible for citizenship. It takes a while but maybe something you can look into. Im doing it now.
Jobs here are tough. Pay is pretty shit. Most young people are looking to leave this island for work elsewhere on the globe. I have no personal experience with this as im not in the market.
Wish I could help you out with more info.
>>
>>1133525
Interesting, how would citizenship be beneficial to me? Is there a website you use for this information? I've been googling about this for a while now, no luck.
>>
>>1132317
>>1132357
OP here. Any more advice now that I mentioned september? Good time? bad time?
>>
>>1133653
>how would citizenship be beneficial to me

live and work in any EU country, no hassles. Study for free as well in the ones that offer that. Sweet deal if you're into the expat life.
>>
Sweet thread! I'm actually going to the Azores (Sao Miguel) for my honeymoon, 4 nights there, in october! I've heard of these volcanic hot baths on the coast, any tips on the best ones?
>>
>>1133653
Pretty much what this guy said>>1133862 also visa free travel within I think its 26 countries. Its not a bad thing to have. You should be able to contact your Portuguese consulate in your state and find out all you need.

>>1133877
Poca da Beija is the place recommended by my friend. I guess you cant go wrong with any though.
>>1133794
Yeah, the weather should be really nice. We've had a strange start to summer so far. Last year by this time I was at the beach daily, this year beach days have been limited. Annnnnny day now and the weather will be perfect...lol
All the major festas end before september so you shouldnt have many tourists to contend with and hotel rates should be falling by then, rental cars will be more available too.
>>
>>1132703
Taka weeb
>>
>>1132627
one last question: how about some weed? is it available? if so, how to find? thank you
>>
>>1136202
Oh I wish. You will find hash pretty easily but most likely it will be shit hash. If weed is what you want to have a chance at go to Pico. There is some really nice locally grown weed on that island. Go to any bar and ask someone who looks the part. Easiest way anywhere Ive been on the planet.
>>
>>1136391
ok, thank you. i think i know what kind of hash u r talking about, its useless.. pico looks very nice too, i just hope i dont get smashed or go to jail by asking strangers in the bar for weed. how are the prices and will they rip me off? i guess i could do the fishing and camping thing on pico as well?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.