[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Carribean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 20160610_215139.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160610_215139.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
Hey travel,
I would really like to travel the carribean this winter. A few questions:
For one are these places cheap? I'm looking to backpack through here so no tourist resort shit.
I'm a usa citizen, will I need visas for each island or what?
Lastly I've heard that you can sail there from the canary islands in spain. Has anyone heard of this?
Does anyone have any experiences in the carribean to share?
Thanks
>>
It depends on the country. For instance the currency in the Grand Cayman Islands is worth more than the US dollar. The currency in the Dominican Republic is far less. In general, US dollar is worth more, though. I know Visas aren't necessary via cruise ships, but I don't know about flying.
>>
>>1128642

>For instance the currency in the Grand Cayman Islands is worth more than the US dollar.
>The currency in the Dominican Republic is far less.
>In general, US dollar is worth more, though

I don't think you understand how money works.
>>
>>1128643
Grand Cayman is more expensive than the USA. Not by much. One Grand Cayman dollar is worth like 1.20/1.25 US or something. Most Carribean currency the US dollar is worth more, how much more varies widely, and also you have to deal with being overcharged for being a tourist, unless you know how to haggle or have a local guide. In tourist areas you can end up paying more than home, even though the US dollar is worth more.
>>
>>1128654
>>1128642
I literally last left the Carribean on June 4th. Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, and Grand Cayman
>>
>>1128637

> For one are these places cheap?

Depends. There's about 30 countries, ranging from poor (Haiti) to rich (The Bahamas).

> I'm looking to backpack through here so no tourist resort shit.

The Caribbean is not really geared toward backpackers but it's worth going imo.

> I'm a usa citizen, will I need visas for each island or what?

https://www.visahq.com/
In most places you'll be allowed to stay for 90 days upon entry. But make sure you check on visahq before booking a ticket.

> Lastly I've heard that you can sail there from the canary islands in spain. Has anyone heard of this?

The Canary Islands are like a huge pit stop for boaters from all over Europe. They stop there to wait for the right weather and to stock on food before sailing across. Many boat owners are lone sailors or old retired couples who need extra crew to help during the crossing. If you look good, sound fun, and have sailing experience, you'll find a boat (granted that you arrive during the crossing season, november-december). Otherwise, it will be difficult, unless you're a hot grill of course.

> Does anyone have any experiences in the carribean to share?

I do, but not now. I'll check later, feel free to ask questions.
>>
>>1128654

So japan is super cheap because 1 USD = 100 Yen ?

Exchange rate != Cost of life.
>>
>>1128661
We're not talking about Japan. We're talking about the Carribean. What is your insight on costs in the Carribean?
>>
>>1128664

Japan or not, my point was "Exchange rate != Cost of life.", they are not related.

> What is your insight on costs in the Carribean?

Not much, I've only been to like 6 different caribbean countries and lived there 5 years.
>>
>>1128671
So offer up what you know anon, vice just tearing down the post of others, without any counters
>>
>>1128673

I'm conversing in a foreign language, drinking, and getting high. Sorry.
>>
>>1128701
So basically, you're just shit posting. What the other anon said about Carribean currency was pretty on point, btw
>>
hows jamaica? i wanna spend a month or two backpacking there
>>
>>1128846

Jamaica is nice, but lacks a bit in terms of cheap hostels. 1-2 months should give you enough time to know the island pretty well. Hitchhiking is easy and people are hospitable. Just avoid being alone at night, go out with locals so you don't stand out as a lone white guy begging to be robbed.
>>
>>1129026

just to be clear, by "cheap hostels" I mean nice and cheap hostels frequented by backpackers and listed on websites like hostelworld.

if you want really cheap just ask around but don't be surprised if it looks unsafe (even though nothing ever happens and you'll be fine).
>>
>>1128637
Last year I ve been sailing through the western carribean for 6 months, went to jamaica, cape town, cozumel, belize, honduras, ... What I can tell you is
1) Jamaica is super touristy and honestly not worth it
2) everywhere else great snorkeling if you're into that
3) Roatan is a great island. Kinda like you d imagine a pirate island + great food
4) there's nowhere much to see except of the nature in Belize
>>
>>1129036
>) Jamaica is super touristy and honestly not worth it
Only half of the island is like that. Go over the mountains next time

>Cozumel
This is where entire college sorority houses relocate in the Spring.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.