[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/trv/ pretty soon I'm leaving the UK for a month, maybe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: carolina-meucci.jpg (76KB, 800x1066px) Image search: [Google]
carolina-meucci.jpg
76KB, 800x1066px
/trv/ pretty soon I'm leaving the UK for a month, maybe longer to live in Spartanburg SC. Long story short I made a friend online a couple of years ago and we've been getting on like a house on fire. I've never left Europe in my life and I'm feeling pretty nervous so I have a few questions
>What are the Spartanburg / South Carolina locals like?
>Would it be sensible to carry a gun? Can i even get a gun being a UK citizen?
>How much money should i take? (i have £8.5k saved)
>>
>>1126057
Not sure if this pic is a boy or a girl, but I'd hit it, either way
>>
Only place I've been to in SC is Charleston which is really nice desu. Other than that SC is kind of a dump honestly. The heat will be unbearable for someone who has never left Europe their whole life, let alone a Brit. As for the gun, no, non-citizens can't cc and I wouldn't really worry about it either. As for money, depends how much you plan on relying on your friend and the duration of your stay.
>Protip: don't believe the "America is cheap" meme, because that's all it is, a meme.

t. A NC native
>>
>>1126057
>what are ... locals like?
Generally friendly and chatty, though secretly judging you too. I suspect the majority of folks will, for a Brit, almost certainly come off conservative, religious and (let's not beat around the bush) sort of stupid and simple. Don't expect people to know anything much about what happens beyond the region, much less Ol' Blightly. Talk of church, social circles revolving around church, and which church you go to is standard. People shouldn't get too in your face about it -- it's more of an ice breaker that an attempt at converting you (although that's part of it for some). Not everyone is a dumb hick, but you'll certainly see where the stereotypes comes from. Nigs are also gonna nig.

Overall, I think you'll have a fine time though. Haven't been to Spartanburg itself, but I know it's a college town, so at least there's that. I hope you like football.

>Would it be sensible to carry a gun?
No.
>Can i even get a gun being a UK citizen?
No.

>£8.5k saved
should be plenty for a month, assuming you're staying with your 'friend'.

Something important to keep in mind is that if American border officials think you're coming to the US to marry or elope with your 'friend', they are likely to deny you entry. They will ask you the purpose of your trip. Saying you're staying one month in a small obscure town with a special someone you met online is suspicious. That alone is not grounds to deny you entry, but if they think you don't plant to go back to the UK, you're fucked. Make sure you have proof of something to return to the UK, a ticket, a job, studies, etc.
>>
>>1126295
You're not from the area are you? Spartanburg is just a small stroll from Greenville. Both areas have the smaller "metropolis" feel to them. They're certainly bigger areas as part for the rest of the state. However, they're small enough for an outsider to be able to "make it in" with ease. The people I meet there are genuinely laid back and friendly. It's kinda like southern hospitality 2.0. Has the charm with a kind of liberalesque feel.

This may just be because I was raised there, but I certainly wouldn't choose it over some other cities-- even in the states--, but if you have a purpose for going there specifically, it's more than livable.
>>
OP Here, Thanks for the help. That isn't my friend in the picture haha. I do have work and studies to return home to however I'll be on a career break indefinitely a week before i leave. If i buy a return ticket anyway I can choose whether I use it or not and I then shouldn't have any problems getting in, correct me if I'm wrong
>>
>>1126366
Nope, Virginiafag here. Like I said, I haven't been there myself. But I've been back and forth through SC several times, and have friends from it. Just my general impressions.
>>
>>1126401
If you have a return ticket, that should be good. However, they are well aware people buy them without intending to use them, like say if they were visiting a long-time internet partner... Bring proof that you've paid for your upcoming semester, just in case.

I've read stories here and heard first-hand from a couple people of visitors being denied entry under very similar circumstances. There's a separate visa for joining family/spouse or coming for a prospective marriage, so they do take it seriously if they suspect you of trying to stay in the country. Shouldn't be a problem, don't want to scare you, but something to keep in mind.
>>
>>1126412
Say I flew in to JFK and then got on a flight to Spartanburg would that pose a problem? would getting a flight from JFK be difficult?
>>
>moving willingly to south carolina
dont do it brah. It sucks here
>>
>>1126417
He says it's only for a month brah, otherwise I would agree with you
>>
>>1126419
>>1126417
I've done my research aha, and I'm definitely not staying there! If things go well my "friend" will most likely want to come to Europe
>>
>>1126057
Holy shit, that sucks dude. I lived in Spartanburg for a year and by the end of it I'd gained 20 lbs and I was ready to blow my brains out

>What are the Spartanburg / South Carolina locals like?
The people are generally amiable, however there are certainly some parts that I would recommend you avoid at night. When I was there the city had launch a program to gentrify these areas but its unlikely that has happened yet, if it happens at all.

>Would it be sensible to carry a gun? Can i even get a gun being a UK citizen?
No.
This is coming from a gun owner, btw.

>How much money should i take? (i have £8.5k saved)
That should be plenty.

Basically you're going to an old mill town in upstate South Carolina that has a Denny's tower, a few small colleges, and poverty.
Greenville, which is very close, is much nicer than Spartanburg.
>>
>>1126057
With 8.5k saved, how much are you okay spending? Maybe consider getting a cheap car and exploring some of the south.
>>
Let's see, Spartanburg. Peach season is good. Greenville is OK too. Not too far from the mountains; you should try to get up there at some point. Food's good. All other comments seem spot on.
>>
>>1126057
Spartansburg is the worst city in Sc go to Greenville or Clemson or Charleston
>>
youll absolutely need a car immediately.
t. south carolina resident
>>
>>1126415
I don't know, haven't checked routes, but there is a small 'international' airport for Spartanburg/Greenville. Charlotte-Douglas is nearby and is one of the largest airports in the US, so I don't think you'll have a lot of trouble actually getting there.

Can your internet boyfriend rent a car and pick you up?
>>
>>1126057
Charlotte, NCian here... Been down to Spartanburg many times.

Spartanburg is a nice little micro-city -- if you have to be in SC, it's not a bad place at all.

You have no need to get a gun, but if you want on, google SC GUN LAWS and see what they have to say. Gun laws are largely on the state/local level.

Bring your ATM card, we have ATMs over here.
>>
>>1127108
Person who never visited Columbia spotted...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.