[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sell me on Kuala Lumpur. I will be traveling through Malaysia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: kuala-lumpur.jpg (402KB, 1230x819px) Image search: [Google]
kuala-lumpur.jpg
402KB, 1230x819px
Sell me on Kuala Lumpur.

I will be traveling through Malaysia and have the opportunity to detour to KL and stay a night or two, but this will mean less time in rural areas. I suppose I feel its silly to visit that part of Malaysia, get so close to KL and just miss it, but then I don't know an awful lot about the city either.

I am interested in history, culture and the natural world but am partial to any unique experience potentially (stuff I will have no problem experiencing in more rural Malaysia regardless).
>>
>>1121315
kuala lumpur is kind of gay. it's just a 2nd world capital with semi-functional roads and public transit, with amenities available at cost to nurture foreign capital.

not bad. you can do some fun things that you could do at home at cost in KL, but there's nothing particularly cultural, etc. about it. you won't find much muslim culture, or indian culture, or chinese culture. it's just a city that floods a lot which attracts business.

I'd say there's a fair reason most travelers pass it over in favor of its neighbors. indonesia is more exotic/unconventional, thailand has an actual history/culture, didn't outlaw art, has nearly as functional of transport/infrastructure.

learning to fly a plane or other expensive luxuries are good to indulge.
>>
>>1121315
>I am interested in history, culture and the natural world
KL is not your best bet, then. Although it's quite green for a "big" city (it's actually pretty modest in size--less than 2M people, or 1/5 the size of Bangkok, for example), it's an urban area. And it's not particularly historic, although there is some late 19th/early 20th-century architecture scattered around, particularly in Chinatown and Brickfields--Melaka, which has a nicely preserved historical center, is a better bet for historical stuff. And it's not especially cuturally interesting, perhaps except for the Batu Caves Hindu temple complex at the north end of town.

It is, however, a great place to shop (particularly for designer knockoffs--take a stroll around Petaling St and be prepared to haggle hard) and eat, and a pleasant enough town overall.

Worth a night, maybe two, sure. But maybe not worth a detour if it means one night less in somewhere like Penang.
>>
>>1121317
>>1121319
Hmm, seems to back up my concerns about KL. For the record if I don't detour there it will mean more time in Singapore, Gua Musang and Kota Bharu...
I'm definitely leaning towards missing KL altogether.
>>
>>1121329
I was the first replier.

I actually really liked my stay in KL. but it was because I had friends there. it's one fo the only ASEAN capitals wehre you can live a first world lifestyle if you so choose, and many of the things associated with it. I don't mean int erms of AC, but in terms of meeting exciting people like bankers, having opportunity, diverse types of social events, etc.

my main meaning was that as some sort of wandering tourist without friends there, I expect it will be lacklustre.

KL is quite a good city if you speak the language or have connections. people tend to head there as a 2nd rate singapore specifically because in vietnam or indonesia or PI you simply CANNOT live a normal life, social events are nonexistent/so foreign they lose meaning. etc.

also, they're VERY fluent in english. so instead of having broken conversation #1300, you can actually LEARN in a comprehensive manner, what's going on with normal/highly eduated people.

go where you have connections, I guess. I want to say I HATE malysia, but despite that, I love my friends there, and I got a MORE from malaysia than any other trip I've taken where I wasn't fluent in the local language.

hope this heps.
>>
>>1121317
>learning to fly a plane or other expensive luxuries are good to indulge.

Woah. This is a good enough reason to visit any country, honestly. Learning to become a jet pilot on your own without being gifted those skills courtesy of the military is an extremely expensive endeavor......

Could one become a pilot in SEA and have his credentials and license readily accepted and recognized by American companies back home?

I've always wanted to be a pilot but I've been told that it's actually a low paying position. Given that I am too ugly to marry and will never have to worry about supporting a senpai should I just go for this?
>>
>>1121785
>Could one become a pilot in SEA and have his credentials and license readily accepted and recognized by American companies back home?

no, a friend of mine (he's thai) wanted to be a comercial pilot, he took the class (2 years) in Malaysia and it's not recognized by the US or EU company, only SEA companies accept the diploma.
>>
I'm staying in KL for 1 evening+night.
Not really into clubbing.
What are the best htings to see/do?
>>
When I did my exchange semester in Singapore, KL was the first "foreign" trip we made. Ofcourse, Singapore was our only first real Asian experience, so comparisons were there. But my memory of the city is that it is dirty (not in Ho Chi Minh dirty, where it's "part of the city") and does not have much of a character to it.
>>
>>1121785
I was talking more about prop planes and the like. the experience is valid and carries over.

for commercial standards you could do it, and it would be cheap, but as the anon below specified no one would hire you. also its all in malay
>>
>>1121804
>I was talking more about prop planes and the like. the experience is valid and carries over.

I am completely ignorant of aviation but yeah, I assume it would be the same general stuff just faster basically.

Since you brought the topic up I'm assuming you learned abroad this way or know someone who did?
>>
OP here, decided to go to Malacca instead, shits all over KL.
>>
As a Malaysian, answer is no. They're the capital with nothing but expensive stuff. And coming from the Borneo side of Malaysia, they do not treat us fairly here in the Borneo, don't bring more money into their economy. Taking royalties from our natural resources so they can build better city for themselves while most of our rural areas got no roads and utilities.increasing racial tension due to the failure of government. No money for Malysia please, let us starve.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.