[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Johannesburg, y/n?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: johannesburg_view_image.jpg (34KB, 450x291px) Image search: [Google]
johannesburg_view_image.jpg
34KB, 450x291px
Considering going to South Africa soon, but I need to know: how's Joburg nowadays?

I heard it has a phenomenally high crime rate, but I've also heard that the crime rate has gone down and police response times have shortened in the not too distant past.
>>
Every 20 seconds someone gets raped there. This is a fact which you can look up. Enjoy.
>>
>>1121138
JHBlive website. Plus Joburg city website.
>>
Depends on the neighborhood. Having said that, I walked through Hillbrow, a notorious neighborhood, at night with a huge duffel bag around my shoulders that had my passport and tons of electronics, and nothing happened. I was an absolute retard and nothing happened, if you're smart you'll be fine. Petty crime is big, just don't look like a tourist. Joburg is a cool city.
>>
>>1121138
ZA is one of the world's major tourist attractions. Most people who go there don't get raped or robbed or eaten by cannibals. There is a high crime rate, but most of that crime happens in areas that you will have no reason to go to - not entirely, but especially in the informal settlements (tin shed shack slums) on the outskirts of the city. Most violent crime is poor people attacking other poor people in rural areas and the outskirts of cities. Crimes in the wealthier and touristy parts of Joburg are usually property related. There are some areas to avoid in the city, of course, like Hillbrow, but again there is no reason why you would wander in there. ZA isn't somewhere you just wander around, you go from A to B and usually you are fine. Cape Town is a very different and much more laid back city, though it's the same kind of set-up; high crime rate but most of it is poor people attacking other poor people. The Cape Winelands are worth visiting, as well as the great national parks.
>>
>>1121497
Just wrote this:
>There are some areas to avoid in the city, of course, like Hillbrow, but again there is no reason why you would wander in there

And then I read this:
>1121495
>I walked through Hillbrow, a notorious neighborhood, at night with a huge duffel bag around my shoulders that had my passport and tons of electronics

I should have known that /trv/ would surprise me.
>>
Thanks for the info, guys. Looks like I'll have to plan ahead and figure out an itinerary for the city that dodges the less hospitable corners of the city, then.
>>
>>1121589
Not to worry; tourist itinerary really would include the dangerous parts, anyway. Unless you take one of the special tours to a township (and parts of Soweto are perfectly safe, by the way, they're the home of the new middle class; you just missed Soweto Fashion Week). Do try to get out of Joburg, though, the national parks and Cape area are what is really special about South Africa.
>>
Is there any thing to see in Durban?
>>
>>1121145
note that he said "person" not woman.
so yes, your pink puckered arse is on the menu as well.
>>
>>1121495
did so many mothers drink during pregnancy these days that led people to have such a false sense of security?

fucking camera crews with armed guards get robbed in SA
>>
>>1121830
Because they are idiots, sone travellers will tell you a firing range is safe as they ran from one side to the other once without being shot.

Johannesberg is absolutely fucked.
>>
Hi - as a guy living in Joburg I can tell you that the majority of the crime is black on black related in the sadder parts of the city.

So unless you're a fucking moron who decides to got to Hillbrow or fuck around dark alleys in the middle of the night - you should be fine. Just have a bit of common sense.
>>
>>1121678
Shaka aquarium,beaches,eat bunny chow.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.