[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Travel questions that don't deserve their own thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 28

File: lviv-opera-ukraine.jpg (293KB, 1200x791px) Image search: [Google]
lviv-opera-ukraine.jpg
293KB, 1200x791px
ITT: Travel questions that don't deserve their own thread
>>
>>1121003
what are some nice cities with sun and beaches and a nightlife which isnt for plebs?
>>
>>1121008
in or around Europe pls
>>
What should you do if youre stuck with zero money and nowhere to sleeo
>>
>>1121008
Barcelona
>>
>>1121029
you can sleep anywhere anon
>>
>>1121029
Try to beg for money until you have €5.-, then you go to the salvation army
>>
How do you guys masturbate when traveling for long periods of time?
>>
>>1121056
Same way as usual, with my hand
>>
>>1121056
In the bathroom or when nobody is in the room if I've gone to bed first usually. Isn't hard, especially if you haven't done it for a few days.
>>
Does anybody now a way to learn Finnish, Duolingo doesn't do dem Fins.
>>
>>1121034
any else?
>>
File: 1464464403922.jpg (81KB, 924x571px) Image search: [Google]
1464464403922.jpg
81KB, 924x571px
How do you get over a moderate fear of flying?
>>
>>1121154
Talk to doctor re: mild sedative or anti-anxiety med.

That, and get enough flights under your belt to be comfortable with it.
>>
>>1121170
>That, and get enough flights under your belt to be comfortable with it.

That's the thing, though. I never had it until I started flying a lot.
>>
>>1121175
Huh! Well, then, back to talking to the doc I guess...
>>
>>1121029
do you have a car?
then you have a sleep.
>>
>>1121086
Yeah. Go back in time and tell your mom to move to finland before your birth. Then live your life in finland.

Or you can just move to finland now and take courses. Learn by living.
>>
>>1121029
Try the couchsurfing app
>>
>>1121034
>>1121008
barca is plebs only.
You are looking for Porto
>>
What's more practical for buying tickets when I want to go to Bosnia and Montenegro (or some other example)

Buying the retourticket for the same city or buying a one way to bosnia and a one way going back from montenegro?
>>
I never been to southern Europe, where should I go spain italy greece or portugal? what city? Which one of those is most different from northern europe?
>>
>>1121003
Going backpacking in America, it'll be my first time traveling in my life

How is backpacking/hitchhiking around America? Any advice on how to find cheap places to sleep?
>>
Any recommendations for a place with a full breakfast ( black and white pudding are a must) in Dublin. Along those lines, any must sees while there for someone who doesn't really give a fuck about Ireland.
>>
>>1121152
>>1121422
I'm going to palma de majorque end june
I first hesitated between barcelona and porto.

Palma was cheaper than barcelona tho.
>>
>>1121008
Torquay
>>
>>1121454
hitchhiking isn't as easy as it used to be, and public transport is pretty shit across the whole country. You've still got the Amtrack and Greyhound but America isn't super easily navigable without a car. Also go to the west coast (California, Oregon, Washington) It's much more naturally scenic and the cities/culture are just flat out better than the east coast. I'd hate for you to come to the states and end up wandering around middle america bigotville full of hicks. STICK TO THE WEST.
>>
Would this backpack count as a personal item on a plane?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eddie-Bauer-rippac-stowaway-pack-backpack-20L-Adjustable-Straps-BlueL-US-Seller-/162072247929?hash=item25bc423e79:g:kN4AAOSwRjNXORVv
>>
>>1122490
>Would this backpack count as a personal item on a plane?
However it is defined, you get one item that can go under the seat in front of you, outside of your overhead "carryon"...though you can call them both carryons, the personal item can't exceed the size of the underseat (check your airline for dimensions of all carryons).

Airlines are going nuts with fee based profit, so here's what it _used_ to mean for a woman, a "purse" and for a man "briefcase or laptop bag." A coat and umbrella both used to be exempt from counting, but who knows in this day and age. Also you used to be able to have an overhead dimensions bag, an underseat dimensions bag, into which the actual extra ID bag or personal item stuff needed to fit inside either, because you had to secure your shit for takeoff, so you either got a little fannybag or neck pouch if you wanted it on your person, because they'd frown at anything out that wasn't under the seat during takeoff. I regularly used to fly standby so I pushed the limits on carryon only because of being bumped en route and losing it by connections or just being removed from my seat the plane for late rev passengers. I would carry both carryons, with the underseat stacked on my overhead wheeled bag, and coat and purse on top of it all. though I'd hide and wear it all discreetly at the gate agent ticket scan so they didn't take one or frown. The underseat is lightly packed, so I can stuff in the coat and purse if someone frowned about a "full cabin" and my overhead was of course packed and ID'd to be checkable if someone grabbed it from me at the gate for a full flight.

A backpack that small is underseat, I'm sure. But that is designed to have little structure and to pack flat as an "extra" bag for shopping or daypack uses. I wouldn't buy that as a primary bag, fyi
>>
>>1121454
>How is backpacking/hitchhiking around America?
Illegal.
>>
>>1121154
I've flown on over 100 flights. Still freaks me out. I just always try to sleep the majority of the flight.
>>
>>1121542
You can't be serious.

"Don't go out of California! They have differing opinions in other states! Only stay in heavily liberal states or you'll DIE"
>>
Are motels open 24/7? Can I just show up at one at like 2 in the morning after a long drive and check in or am I stuck sleeping at a rest stop?
>>
File: Nice nuit.jpg (890KB, 2200x1461px) Image search: [Google]
Nice nuit.jpg
890KB, 2200x1461px
>>1121008
Nice
>>
>>1122693
only completely illegal in 6 states

most don't allow it on the freeways only (and who the fuck stops on a freeway to pick up a hitchhiker)

sometimes that can be 'circumvented' by standing at an intersection near the on-ramp

otherwise just use a ride-sharing finder service
>>
>>1122813
try to inform them of your late arrival and they will try to accommodate you

usually motels/hotels near airports have 24hr staff
>>
I found a cheap flight to Singapore but is it too risky?

I start from Newcastle to Amsterdam and have only 50 minutes connection time to my next flight to Xiamen; it's £120 cheaper than the next flight price, I'm a poorfag so it's a lot of money to me
>>
>>1122813
I work at a hotel and we check people in at that time all the time, sometimes you can haggle more because they just want to fill up rooms, and sometimes they might charge more because they figure you're sleepy and just want to check in while agreeing to anything. In general show that you shopped around and be savvy, book direct when you can, and use 3rd parties like orbitz and hotels to check prices mostly.
>>
How the fuck do you take money? More specifically, how the fuck do you take money to somewhere like Madagascar or Mozambique
>>
>>1123076
ATMs, just get a decent foreign debit card that refunds fees
>>
>>1123078
No boi
you dont understand
I AM GOING TO A RURAL AS FUCK BUMASS MOTHERFUCKER. How the fuck do i carry $500 in CASH around POOR people without it getting fucking STOLEN

Also, should i go to Greece?
>>
>>1123081
you carry a gun and hide it in a bunch of places on your persons

I like putting it in a plastic bag and sticking it under my shoe insoles
>>
>>1121008
Heat wave in Ireland lately so if you're planning one soon worth looking at the forecast
>>
>>1121460
More than likely too late but most gas stations and newsagents have good delis
Also there was a shop in smithfield beside the hotel there and across from the guinness brewery that did a killer breakfast
>>
>>1121439
Spain

Cabo de Gato
>>
Is there a way to book multiple places (same city, same time) at once and cancel everything as soon as one got accepted in airbnb?
>>
Is a large sedan sufficient for a 3 day camping trip with 4-5 people (more specifically a Saab 9-5)? I'd prefer a station wagon but a good specimen is harder to come across.
>>
>>1123076
Hide it your orifices.
You could try one of those pouches that straps around your body under your clothes
>>1123035
If it's the same airline and there's no delays it should be okay, otherwise I'm guessing that's not enough time to check and go through customs in before boarding closes.
>>
>>1123035
As the other anon said, if you already have your boarding pass for Amsterdam - Xiamen on you (which you should), after you leave the plane you'll go to the international transfer area of the airport in which people don't need to go through security and customs. The time you need will depend on how well you navigate the airport (knowing where to go) and how big the airport is.

Anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes would be needed. Gates close ~40 mins before departure typically, so I don't know. To me, for 120GBP, it's plausible to make it and I'd take that flight. Worst case scenario you miss it and the airline should provide you with a seat on the next flight 4 free.
>>
>>1123308
5 people in a sedan would be tough. That means that you would need a big tent, probably an esky and 5 mattresses to fit in just a boot.

4 people would be possible because you will probably need the fifth seat for bags or an esky.

Also factors to consider are if there will be taps at your destination. If not you will need about 3L of water each or a jerry can.

And if it is cold you will need more space for extra jackets and blankets.

So I would say its possible but it would mean that you probably wont be able to fit things like camp chairs, a table or a gazebo.

I wouldn't do it ay m8.
>>
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Barcelona for ~5 days?
>>
>>1121008
Lisbon, Porto, Pula, Split, Lefkada, Praia, Funchal, Sochi, Ystad in the summer
>>
>>1123317
Ok thanks m8
>>
>>1123081
>How the fuck do i carry $500 in CASH around POOR people without it getting fucking STOLEN
Just use a money belt. It will make you invincible.
>>
How to travel East/Southeast Asia while avoiding all the western pleb-infested places? Destinations?
>>
how hard/easy is it to get a visum for vietnam or cambodia for a german if you book a last minute flight?
>>
>>1123762
Bis 30.6. kannst du für 15 Tage ohne Visum nach Vietnam, das Visum für Kambodscha kannst du am Grenzübergang holen.

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Laenderinformationen/00-SiHi/VietnamSicherheit.html?nn=383660#doc383592bodyText2
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Laenderinformationen/00-SiHi/KambodschaSicherheit.html?nn=391380#doc391312bodyText2
>>
>>1123726
If you are western, you can't.
After all, no matter where you go, there you are.
>>
>>1123726
Try Isaan region in Thailand. I was there (Although somewhat off-season and it was fiercely hot) and there were very little westerners.
>>
When I travel in airports in the USA, many of the fellow passengers are quite rude, like making comments, pushing me out of the way, rolling their eyes at me, etc. I try to be quick and not get in anyone's way. Is there some sort of American airport etiquette I'm missing?
>>
>>1121439
>Spain
>Portugal
>Southern Europe

Hello Chuck Burgerton
>>
Is Peninsular Malaysia safe for a 18 year old-looking (I'm 26 just look very young) tall, white English guy on his own?
>>
>>1122813
>Are motels open 24/7? Can I just show up at one at like 2 in the morning after a long drive and check in or am I stuck sleeping at a rest stop?
All the major chains will have someone who can check you in late, but not a mom and pop kind of motel or a B&B, however, just calling ahead even 30 minutes is a great idea. Book that by phone or online with confirmation at the soonest you can. It can also affect your rate/night to wait or not wait. Without a reservation, you might be able to say "it's $129 across the street, can you beat that?" and enjoy.
>>
File: 1460859161412.jpg (37KB, 484x648px) Image search: [Google]
1460859161412.jpg
37KB, 484x648px
Is Gothenburg worth it? I'll be making my way up from Copenhagen to Oslo by train in early August to meet a friend. Is it worth it to stay a night or two in Gothenburg or any other city on the west coast of Sweden or should I just roll through?
>>
I'm traveling from Cairo to Los Angeles with two layovers at Rome and Paris. Would I need to go through passport control during any of my stops in Europe? All flights are under one ticket.
>>
File: nrvRylS.jpg (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nrvRylS.jpg
77KB, 640x480px
>>1123950

Kill or be killed, you don't owe politeness to your fellow passengers. All bets are off in airports fambamdamily
>>
>>1123081
Money belt or shove it up your ass.
>>
Is (off resort) jamaica safe for a 20 year old white american to go to? I wouldnt be killed if i tried to date one of the local women r-right?
>>
>>1123968
no
>>
>>1123973
No.
>>
>>1121003

I'm about to apply for my Passport right now. I have the option to get a Passport book and Passport Card. Do I need both of these? Or do I just need the Passport book.

I live in the US, planning on visiting Vancouver soon.
>>
>>1121154
Get somewhat drunk before a flight
>>
>>1124054
The passport card is an alternative when traveling to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Unless you'll be traveling to these countries frequently, you wont need it, the passport book is enough.
>>
>>1123953
As somebody who has never been to Malaysia you can take take this with a grain of salt, but I am pretty sure you will be totally safe.
>>
what cities are best for (safe and carefree) night walking?
>>
Where's a great place to summer?

it kinds slightly too warm here for me, i want to go to just one or two places the entire summer, not bother with the work or travel
>>
>>1121003

should i teach english in china or vietnam?
>>
>>1124110
Not really interested in living in Thailand at the moment. I don't mind the zero English aspect. I like learning languages and I speak enough Chinese to get around.

I've lived in China before and I really enjoyed it, but I'm curious about Vietnam.
>>
Anyone ever hiked to trolltunga, is it worth the like 10 hour hike?
>>
>>1123111
Thanks man. I'm looking forward to finding it, it's my one goal in my brief time there.
>>
File: Ireland_(MODIS).jpg (532KB, 1600x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Ireland_(MODIS).jpg
532KB, 1600x2200px
I'll move to Galway in September. How's the city and its people?

Also, general Ireland question: I love biking, where could I go from there?
>>
>>1121003

Completely new here, bear with me.

Do you carry cash with you, and how much max? Will an international card (visa) work on any ATM?
>>
>>1124325
I don't know what others think, but cash in king. I use one of those pouches that hang inside your pants and held up by your belt. I never take it out in public, but perhaps that's me being overly cautious.

If you're an American, try to get your money before leaving. I'm yet to find a plan that doesn't charge out the ass with international withdraws.
>>
>>1124342
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that since my bank was bought out by Banco Santander, I can withdraw money from their ATMs in Mexico without any fees, and at what looks like the market rate.
>>
>>1123985
Maybe you should try to use Tinder or find some bars online that people have deemed safe.
>>
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I use with Verizon in the USA. Will it work with a sim card in Europe?
>>
File: IMG_1900.jpg (87KB, 719x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1900.jpg
87KB, 719x1280px
>>1124342

Go to your bank and you can get credit cards that don't have international charges. Marriott Rewards is one I can think of right off the bat. Other than that debit just use a debit cards for international withdrawals from an ATM, they won't charge more that their normal withdrawal fee.
>>
>>1123968
Yes, it's better than Oslo, although that is not saying much.
>>
>>1124539
If you've never used it abroad before, call Verizon before you leave and have them unlock it. You might need to take it into the store.

>>1124544
Really? I'm with Chase and while my credit card has no international charges, they don't have any options for international withdraws that isn't a percentage.
>>
>>1124551
You need to get a Charles Schwab checking account. All the fees that you incur from ATMs will be refunded.

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking_account
>>
Anyone ever used WOW air? Thinking of flying with them from LA to germany in july and the reviews you read online are kind of mixed. For that price it's really hard to complain though.
>>
>>1124601
As long as you can comply with their baggage rules and aren't expecting anything fancy you will be fine.
>>
>>1124603
Yeah their baggage fees are kinda high but it's still much cheaper than any other airline during that time.
>>
Going from Amsterdam to Berlin on one leg of my Eurotrip, not really sure what to do in between.

What are some off the beaten path things to do in northern Germany? Would really like to do some hiking, and check out local breweries.
>>
No clue why there are two threads for the same purpose but whatever, will ask here too.

Anyone can recommend me a good anti-theft backpack of no more than 38L?
The Pacsafe Venturesafe 45L GII anti-theft looks awesome but 45L is too big.
Also, are there any backpack with puncture safe zippers?
>>
>>1124637
The other thread is on its way out this is the continuation
>>
>>1121439
Italy is arguably the most historically rich country in western civilization. Roman Empire, Renaissance, Papacy and its influence. Neat blend of this unbelievable high culture, and modesty of certain traditions.
>>
File: Osprey.jpg (32KB, 334x507px) Image search: [Google]
Osprey.jpg
32KB, 334x507px
>>1121003
Can a 60 liter bag, packed modestly, pass as a carry-on?
>>
>>1124803
No way. 45L is your maximum really, and even then there's a chance a budget airline will try and fuck you over. Not that you need (or want) more than 45L unless you're camping imo, have never had an issue with taking that much.
>>
>>1124816
Heading to Europe and would obviously prefer to carry on, but unfortunately I only own this massive bag cause I do a lot of overnight camping in Yosemite and have to lug those stupid bear canisters around.

Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>1124073
I walked around Manhattan at night when I was 14 and felt pretty safe because there are people and cops everywhere so I didn't feel like anything could happen.
>>
>>1121003
I'm looking to go to the Czech Republic from the UK in July for a last minute festival deal. Should I accept my fate and pay around £200 to fly out or is there a cheaper way if I wait (filling planes etc)
I've checked megabus, car sharing, trains, and all that.
I'm going on my own and have never left the country so I don't know anything about this. The research I've done said essentially I'm screwed because buying tickets anywhere is only cheapest first come first serve.
I don't have a budget per say, I have a lot of money saved up for stuff like this but I'm still not wanting to spend a lot, especially if I'm not 100% into the idea of going alone.
>>
>>1124817
Nope, you're not carrying it on. As it is, you may have to process it as 'unusual' luggage... Depends on the airport and carrier, I guess. Are you camping in Europe or just train-hopping and visiting cities? Giant outdoorsy backpacks really stand out in urban environments... In many 'refined' environments they'd look downright silly. If you don't care, whatevs.
>>
I'm English and I'm flying to Singapore and I hope to cross the border into Malaysia and then fly back home from Kuala Lumpur

I'm pretty inexperienced traveler and I'm wondering if I will encounter any issues doing this? Is crossing the Singapore-Malaysia border easy?
>>
File: 1200px-Grytviken_Panorama.jpg (120KB, 1200x399px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Grytviken_Panorama.jpg
120KB, 1200x399px
I'd like to go to South Georgia some time. Is there any way to do it without taking an Antarctic cruise?
>>
File: IMG-20160518-WA0004.jpg (183KB, 1600x899px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160518-WA0004.jpg
183KB, 1600x899px
Im making a trip to helsinki but i also want to go to ukraine to visit a friend. Is it more efficient for me to take a train to st Petersburg then another train/bus to ukraine, rent a car, or just buy another play ticket? How would i go about this? i get its a loaded question but any ideas are appreciated
>>
>>1125615
Plane ticket**
>>
>>1125615
Where are you from? There's a good chance you'll need a visa to go through Russia (the only countries I can think of who are exempt of a healthy part of South America, Baltics and some of Balkans), though you can go to St. Petersburg for three days if you're flying out of there.

Assuming you don't need a visa, your train will take a long ass time. Petersburg to Samara is 44 hours, so I imagine the train to Ukraine is even longer. On top of that, I imagine the border will be Hell, plus there aren't as many routes because of the the fighting. Driving will be even longer and I have no idea what the hotel/hostel situation is like on the road. But if you've never driven on Russian roads, you're in for a "treat".
>>
File: IMG-20160529-WA0003.jpg (109KB, 899x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160529-WA0003.jpg
109KB, 899x1600px
>>1125669
Im from America, ill be flying in from new york to helsinki. If it makes more sense to fly in to ukraine then train/car north i can do that but I'm trying to see whats more efficient and affordable. I feel a second plane ticket to either destination would be too costly

To my understanding samara is out the way, i wouldnt be traveling east from st petersburg id be going south to ukraine (sumy to be exact). Would i need to go to samara first by train to get to ukraine? I felt it would be better to drive straight down unless its too great of a risk
>>
Cheapest place to stay long-term in SEA? American here.
>>
>>1121154
I hate flying. I've been on about a dozen planes and still hate hate hate it. Makes me anxious as fuck beforehand, while on the plane I feel claustrophobic but I don't have public freak outs.

Each time before I go to my doctor and tell him about it, writes me a prescription for 2-4 xanax depending on the length of the trip. Works perfectly. Almost like being pleasantly drunk.
>>
Are bear resistant food containers absolutely necessary on a road trip through BC and Yukon?

I'll be tenting in roadside campgrounds. Bringing bear spray and a Remington 873.
>>
>>1125683
Oh no, I was simply using Samara as an example on the map to show how long it gets to one place to another by train. Sorry if I wasn't too clear. On top of that, summer in the trains (or winter for that matter) can be rough. I don't think any of them are air conditioned. Expect windows to be open and to be drenched in sweat.

I don't know what you'll need to do for a transit visa for Russia or if that even includes the train. Sadly the Russian visa process isn't an easy one (I had help, but as I recall you need an invitation letter from your hotel, which they'll give after you buy your tickets. Only then can you begin your visa process, at least for student/tourist).

I wish I could say the train was your best bet but it's unlikely. It's worth mentioning again that the border will not be nice unless things have improved. When I was in Russia coming from Volgograd (mind you this was during the early days of fighting between the separatist and Ukraine) our train hooked up with one coming from Ukraine. When we reached the station we were greeted by MVD troops in full gear, who dealt with anyone coming from Ukraine. I imagine you would get a similar treatment on the Ukrainian side.
>>
>>1124314
I'd say its overrated and doesn't look like it looks in the pictures but it's still worth it. desu spending a day hiking around mountains is always worth the soreness and exhaustion.
>>
>>1125744
I see, thanks for the advice. It still might not be a good time to visit ukraine but ill go over my options again
>>
>>1125782
I'm no expert on the situation in Ukraine but I have an ex who has been living there for about a year and from the sounds of it she's had no issues.

Either way enjoy your trip, Helsinki is a nice city. I don't know if you've tried salmaikki, but if you do like you must try the Fazer ice cream.
>>
I will stay with a host family. They are a couple with no kids. Is this a red flag? I find it odd hiw they are taking in young travelers when they have no kids themselves.
>>
>>1126508
Yes.
They're probably going to rape you and your friend.
>>
So heres the deal. Today I was checking my account and noticed that I haven't been charged for my flight next month. I called my bank and they said it was on the airlines side. Called the airline and they said everything was fine it may take a few days for the charge to come up but that it's all good. The charge isn't even pending. Has this ever happened to someone else ? My flight isn't until July 6th and even though I talked to the airline and my bank I'm still concerned.
>>
>>1126526
How long has it been since you made the purchase?
>>
>>1126526
I had this happen to me when I purchased a flight ticket on Alitalia. The charge disappeared from my credit card account a few days after I made the purchase but later appeared as a complete transaction about three weeks after I made the purchase. Looks like there are some airlines that take a while to complete the charge. As long as you have a confirmation email and booking code from the airline, I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
File: osprey-farpoint-40.jpg (110KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
osprey-farpoint-40.jpg
110KB, 640x478px
Is osprey farpoint 40 best packback for hitchhiking europe for ~2 months? I'm 175cm, should i take L/M or M/S? Is there a huge difference?

I dont plan to pack heavy but still, is it gonna be too heavy for me? I would say im somewhat skinny.
>>
>>1126536
177cm it seems after i just measured myself
>>
I'm planning to spend 1-1.5 months in SEA during the summer of 2017 with my girlfriend. We're probably going to move around quite a bit, and will likely go to several countries. We both have basic Kipling bags, but I was wondering if it is better to buy 'real' travelling backpacks.
Wat do?
>>
>>1126543
Kipling backpacks*
>>
>>1126536
>>I dont plan to pack heavy but still, is it gonna be too heavy for me? I would say im somewhat skinny.
Backpack size is more related to your weight than your height.
You don't want to be carrying more than 10% of your body mass if you don't exercise frequently.
If you're just taking the backpack to leave it most of the time in hostels and trains, then the weight limit is not much of a concern, since you won't be carrying it for long periods of time.
If you're going to be constantly walking around with your backpack, then you should worry about its weight.
I can't say about that particular backpack itself, but a 40l should be enough for a 2 month trip during warmer season.

>>1126544
Would help a lot if you posted a pic of said backpack.
But then again, Kipling is not, afaik, famous for building backpacks for backpacking.
>>
>>1126549
I know they're not for backpacking, but I just want to know if you think they can hold it out for that long, or if it's best to invest in a real travelling backpack. It'll be the first time we're backpacking, or on vacation for longer than 1 week for that matter, so that's why I'm asking.

My GF's backpack: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDM3Mg==/z/G4oAAOxy4YdTVlBl/$_3.JPG?set_id=2

Mine: https://dtpmhvbsmffsz.cloudfront.net/posts/2016/05/04/572a58d08f0fc414990097f3/s_572a58d08f0fc414990097f4.jpg
>>
File: 124239139.jpg (196KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
124239139.jpg
196KB, 1024x680px
>>1121423
Depends on where are you entering. Railways and bus stations are fairly cheap, you can travel from Sarajevo (Bosnia) to Bar (Montenegro) for 20 EUR. Bribing bus drivers and railway folks is also possible if you're a charming poorfag.

Also, take 2-way tickets, you save about 15-20% the price.

>>1124803
Way too much m8. Usually small cabin bags are around 30L or less. Anyways, you can backpack through Europe for a month with a 30L backpack
>>
>>1126557
Im sure i can fit farpoint 40l in there, right?
>>
>>1126551
If all you're taking is some clothes and documents, sure.
I don't believe you can fit more than a few underwears+socks, one shirt and pants or two shirts and a shorts.
No room for extra shoes or even flip-flops (unless they're minimalist).
I'd go for at least a 30L backpack.
28 or 25 if I'm feeling extreme

.>>1126560
Some low-cost carriers may not allow a 40l as a carry-on.
>>
>>1126562
Thanks m8. How much does a long-lasting, good quality 30L backpack go for in Europe? What are some good brands I should look out for?
>>
>>1126560
yeah but you'll have to pay additional fee (at least I did with Wizzair)
>>
I posted this in the other thread but it is already over the bump limit, so probably no one is gonna answer it. So here goes my question again.

I'm planning to do a flight from Germany to Mexico that does a connection in Cuba. Do I need a Cuban visa. I'm Mexican btw.
>>
>>1124068
I thought passport cards were only for if you were driving to Canada and Mexico.
>>
Dutchfag. I have 1,5 month spare time in the summer and want to go backpacking. Anywhere but Asia.

Any recommendations?
>>
which is more dangerous: bunch of girls renting an entire flat from airbnb from a user with a pic of a woman when travelling or bunch of girls visiting a male online friend in a public area whom one have known for two years when travelling abroad?
>>
What is the minimum I should set apart if I want to spend 1-1.5 months backpacking in SEA?
>>
>>1126741
The Balkans
>>
EU citizen here, going to apply for my russian visa in 2 weeks. Anything I should know or pay special attention to?
>>
>>1126930
Which EU country? It's different for different countries as I recall.
>>
>>1124073
Pyongyang
>>
>>1124073
like 99% of all cities are carefree
>>
File: .jpg (236KB, 2000x3008px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
236KB, 2000x3008px
What do you guys do when you get back home? Are you paying rent the entire time so your not homeless when you return?
>>
>>1127068
>home
What is this home thing you speak of?
I go back 2-3 times per year, about 1 month every time. I stay with and socialise with my mom. Then I go back and get another flat, usually in a new place.

It is not for everyone, but I like it.
>>
>>1127068
If you live in a decent enough city where there's a demand for apartments just subrent for the time you're away.

Or just find something online just before you head back.
>>
What's the best way to get from Boston to New York City? I'm able to get a cheap to ticket to Boston, but I'm looking to go to New York after spending a few days in Boston.
>>
>>1127095
what do you work? just out of curiousity
>>
any good hostels in philly? im visiting family in NY so i figured i could spend a couple days in philly since ive never been there
>>
Amerifat here.

Currently planning a trip to England, but figure I might as well get Paris/France out of the way while I'm there. How much French do I have to be able to speak to get by? I'm planning on taking the Eurostar from London to Paris, and then back to London, but I'm worried that French signs/communication is going to cause a big issue.
>>
>>1127144
Google maps and google translate (use the live cam) will compensate for any issues

You can get by with asking if they speak english (in french) in resturants, just expect the usual gallic indifference, dont be a typical yank and be offended by it and you wont have a problem
>>
Where should me and my m8 go on holiday? We're from the UK, have a budget of about ~£650 and looking to be away for about two weeks.
>>
How easy is accommodation to find in Vietnam? Do I need to plan ahead?
>>
>>1126941
Belgium
>>
>>1127369
Alright. Like I said, it's different for some countries. For example, the UK process is more similar to the American one. Lots of questions about previous travels and what you've done (ex soldier, work with government, training in weapons, etc). The French one is simpler with fewer questions. I imagine the Belgian one won't be as bad.

Just answer truthful, AND DON'T MAKE MISTAKES. As silly as it sounds, be certain what you're putting down is accurate.
>>
File: .jpg (398KB, 2048x1529px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
398KB, 2048x1529px
how do i travel with 2 dogs
>>
File: 1460329551409.jpg (53KB, 475x385px) Image search: [Google]
1460329551409.jpg
53KB, 475x385px
Help, /trv/
I want to take a vacation but I have no idea where to and what to do.

What are some non-expensive things I could do in about 1-2 weeks time?
I'm from the Netherlands, and will probably go with one or two mates of mine.
None of us have a driver's license so taking a car and driving around freely isn't an option.
I got a budget of about 800 eurobucks, but one of my friends is pretty tight on money.

I'm interested in any kind of vacation, be it hiking (I'm very inexperienced, mind you), being a lazy cunt or visiting tourist shit/non-tourist shit. Can be anywhere on the world, really, though I assume it'll be rather costly to go outside of Europe, not that I mind.

What are some short travels/vacations you did? Any tips regarding planning that?
Also, in case it matters: I speak dutch (duh) and english fluently, and have a fair grasp of German. I might cough a few words of French too whilst making an ass of myself.
>>
>>1121008
Riga
>>
>>1127426
Portugal is always cheap. It or Spain have plenty of low mountains that you could hike around, eating delicious food and drinking wine, seeing some old historical stuff if that suits your fancy (castles, palaces, museums, etc.) and perhaps even taking your turns with a feisty Iberian lass.. Areas on the coast are often crowded, although now is not too bad, but inland places that aren't major cities are almost always relaxed and quiet.

Avoid resorts. Impossible to go wrong with last minute trips to anywhere in Spain or Portugal.
>>
>>1127415
Where to? In general, it will not be much of an issue though depending on where you go you may need acceptable proof of vaccination.
>>
>>1127445
Sounds nice
Will I be fine with just English, or do many people outside of tourist spots not speak it?

What about transportation?
>>
I have a flight from the US to the UK through air Iberia. I've heard some horror stories about this airline but on my ticket it says (Operated by British Airways) next to "Air Iberia". Does this mean I'm flying with BA on one of their planes, or is it something else entirely?
>>
>>1125425
IMO you should always plan ahead for festivals, even if your favorite band is playing and it's their last show you shouldn't pay that much to see them. I'd say don't go and plan better next time. Also, everybody must travel alone at least once in their lives.
>>
>>1127475
your flight will be on a ba plane with ba crew, not only that but if it is your first outbound flight you will also need to check in at a ba desk

your ib flight will have a code share number whatever ib start with (ib?) then normally 4 digits, where as the actual flight will be ba and typically 3 digits, you can look up your flight departure point/time and destination on a flight tracker site and find the actual ba flight number and just use this information when you get to the airport (the airport boards will primarily display the ba flight number but then will flash through all the codeshare flight numbers for this flight which will include ib and whoever else)
>>
Going on my first international flight, and looking into luggage to check-in
Anyone have any experience with the Samsonite Ripstop Wheeled Duffel or FUL Hybrid Wheeled Duffel? I'm going to get the 30" version, but I can't decide on which to get.
>>
>>1123274
Gata*
>>
Gonna link these, as the bump limit was reached in the old thread

>>1127646

>>1127658

>>1127720
>>
How easy is it to get from Budapest to Sarajevo, and then from there to Croatia? Any suggestions on things to do in any of those places in general?
>>
>>1127871
Oddly enough, having this conversation not more than 10 minutes ago with gf because she's in the area a week before me.

She's said there are bus connections everywhere. I know there's one from Zagreb to Budapest. I also recall that there's a bus/train from Budapest to Belgrade, so I imagine there's one to Sarajevo. The thing she warned me about was, there's very few/any that offer selling tickets online so you need to do it at the station.

Wish I could be of more help but I to am just figuring it out.
>>
>>1127871
>>1128003
Lot of cheap buses though you do realize you're probably gonna go trough Croatia to Sarajevo then back again...dont think you have to worry about booking any tickets as there are lot of buses.
>>
Good hiking trails in europe? Can range from easy to hard, difficulty wise. Good scenery and mountain are a preferance. Anyone has done some/experience?
>>
when someone host you on couchsufing, what is expected from you?
what should I do, or avoid doing in order to no annoy the host?
>>
>>1128003
There is a train from Budapest to Belgrade. €15 one-way for a seat, and about €10 extra for a couchette. You can also get a private sleeper but not sure how much it will set you back. I'm taking it overnight in a few weeks. Apparently it's one of most infamous night trains in Europe.

Anyone here ever done it here?
>>
>>1128031
I'm taking in two weeks also. Small world, 'ey?
>>
>>1121542
>>1122778
From the East coast, can confirm. It's not dangerous, but don't ever expect help from strangers. Or eye contact. Or anything other than impatient hostility. Stick to the West if you're trying to enjoy yourself.
>>
Stupid question, but how do backpack volumes work? If I buy a 55L backpack and I only fill it to about half, would it be possible to take as carry-on luggage? Or does it not matter how full the thing is?
>>
>>1128162
I'm pretty sure it's the actual space it fills up in the end
When I went to the airport in the Netherlands you had some kind of box in which you could place your baggage to check if it was small enough.

Might be different elsewhere in the world tho
>>
Will prices for Disney World fall due to the shootings and alligator attacks?

I want to go but it's expensive as fuck.
>>
>>1128033
Three weeks for me. Small world indeed. :-)
>>
I'm visiting a friend in Greece. If I'm with them at all times, am I less likely to be a target for pickpocketing?
>>
>>1128229
Not really, I would say you're less likely to get robbed though.
>>
>>1128239
That's fine too.
How do I lessen my chances of getting anything stolen? I already know to be constantly aware and have everything in sight. Would I have to not look like a tourist somehow?
>>
>>1128240
Honestly, I tend to wear light jackets with inner pockets. You'd have to be really oblivious to not notice someone stealing from you.

Be aware constantly but especially on public transport when stood. When seated just kind of cover your pockets with your arms/hands.
>>
>>1128252
I'll remember to do this. Thanks!
>>
>>1128172
So a 55L backpack can never be carry-on?
What about something like this:
http://www.ospreyeurope.com/gb_en/travel-carry/farpoint-series/farpoint-55-14

If I detach the 10L day bag, will the large part be considered carry-on? I read somewhere that the maximum for long flights was 45L
>>
>>1128365
if the bag while empty exceeds any of the stated dimensions for carry on (LxWxD) then it will never be eligible for carry on (unless you have a really lax check in agent)

If the bag just about fits when empty and you can squash it into the bag checker half filled, you may still be forced to check it in because they may worry you will start to fill it with things once past check in

it really depends on the carrier, how lax they are or how busy the flight is expected to be and the attitude of your check in agent that day
>>
>>1128368
So I should always check the carrier's measurements before buying a backpack?
I've never had to really shop for backpacks before, so I'm unsure.
>>
>>1128369
there is supposed to be an internationally approved size for cabin baggage, it's actually a bit smaller than what most carriers allow

you might get away with a large backpack as carry on, but i would say it was risky

but yeah checking the carriers approved dimensions before you start will save having to be 'that guy' at check in and at the gate when asked to check in their luggage
>>
>>1128371
thanks bro.
>>
>>1128373
Check this site for size limits that various carriers allow.
http://expediablog.co.uk/hand-luggage-size-weight-guide/

And if you're trying to travel with a carry-on only, always choose for online or kiosk check-in or any option that doesn't require you to go to the counter, because that's where all the weighting and measuring will happen for sure.
>>
>>1121003
I bought an 11cm long toothpaste (the tube). Is that enough to use for a month of traveling?
>>
>>1128645
Well yeah if you're not using an exorbitant amount. Why even care though? It's just toothpaste.
>>
>>1121029
sit in front of a convenience store and look foreign and sad
someone will take you in
every damn time
>>
>>1121056
find a place out in nature
sailed on a 40ft boat with my dad and brother across the pacific and first fucking atoll SEEYA GUYS IM GOING TO EXLPOREQ!!!

everyone else is
>yeah... yeah.... me too... seeya
>>
>>1121154
easy
just convince yourself death doesnt hurt
>>
>>1121423
you have to research it yourself on a case by case basis

>>1121439
go to algeciras and buy a ferry ticket to morocco
fuck spain, tangier is better

>>1122490
yup

>>1123035
schipol is easy, 50 mins is plenty

>>1123076
research on google right before you go how much $100 in your currency is in their currency
then withdraw multiples of that amount from ATMs to spread out the effect of the fees
>>
I was thinking of using Amtrak to visit a friend in Cincinnati. I live in Texas. Anyway, should I get a room? I've heard it is cheaper than flying to go coach, but coach can be hellish if you want sleep.

If I have to confess, I'm high maintenance.
>>
File: 74.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
74.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>1123081
>>1123975
this

>>1123985
yeah dont date the women, just buy weed and spend your money and everyones happy
I walked around old kingston, jamaica is all hype bruh

>>1124054
get the book, you'll need visas in the future and some country visas take a whole page
get the extended size booklet, passports last ten years

>>1124073
havana
swear to god
batumi
pretty much every city in asia

>>1124325
In a previous post I said I take money out of ATM's in $100 increments. I use a credit card with no transaction fees for larger purchases.

>>1124539
you need to get it unlocked at a Verizon store

>>1124568
USAA does this too

>>1124624
deserves its own thread

>>1124637
>Anyone can recommend me a good anti-theft backpack of no more than 38L?
anti theft? its a backpack, use a fuckin bike lock and attach it to something permanent. stop wasting your time and look for lightweight and durable
>The Pacsafe Venturesafe 45L GII anti-theft looks awesome but 45L is too big.
Stop wasting time and money, your approach to backpacking is incorrect
>Also, are there any backpack with puncture safe zippers?
No this is a retarded line of questioning

>>1125514
buy your own boat
preferably one you can sell for the same price you bought it when you get back
ask dad for a loan

>>1125686
laos

>>1126543
>>1126551
Way too small
goign to be inconvenient as hell washing your underwear and tee shirt every night. you're going to look like a scrub and people are going to treat you poorly

>>1126691
not if you arent exiting the airport
also, cant you get a cuban visa on arrival anyway? Americans can. they stamp a piece of paper and off we go.

>>1126741
Istanbul to Baku
Is that Asia?
Could do Guatemala/El Salvador/Honduras/Nicaragua/Costa Rica/Panama in that time

>>1126749
I would consider neither of those scenarios dangerous enough to warrant a second thought. Do both.

>>1126750
$2000 USD
Budget $1000 a month for travel as a minimum. Sure people do it cheaper, but budget for $1000/mo
>>
File: P1060406.jpg (885KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
P1060406.jpg
885KB, 1600x1200px
>>1127068
im a 32yo amerifag
I own a house and have a full time job that only gives me 3 weeks off a year
been had a base of operations since I was 22 - still been to 61 countries

>>1126930
use a travel agent to do it

>>1127113
probably a ride sharing app, chinatown bus?
https://www.wanderu.com/en/bus-tickets/us-ma/boston/us-ny/new-york/

>>1127132
no good hostels in philly
apple hostel is the only one
try airbnb and post back in this thread and I'll tell you if the neighborhood is good or not

>>1127144
None. Just make gestures and know your Bon Jour and Bon Soir, french people are nice and they will appreciate it when you dont speak english at them. really, whatever you do dont just start blurting out english at them. they will initiate it. english writing is everywhere though, the metro is easy as fuck - get the maps with me app and download paris, also the paris with me e-guidebook and you'll be set

>>1127307
take a tent and go camping around the british isles or something

>>1127360
no, you can walk from hotel to hotel to scout rooms and check prices. Vietnam is the kind of place you DO NOT book ahead, because the online rate is outrageous compared to the rate on the streets

>>1127415
need your own thread

>>1127426
B

j/k

Russia?

>>1127674
whatever is cheapest and biggest
samsonite is for richfags

>>1128030
ask in a joking way
>so, uh, haha, uh any behaviors you can't stand?
if they're hosting, they have to be chill. don't worry and be friendly and put your best fake american happy attitude on

>>1128162
they have a rigid structure, so you can fold em up to a point. you'd probably get away with it with a 55L filled half way depending on the model.

>>1128188
not a chance
this is the news of the week, next week there will be something new and people will forget all about alligator baby (distracting people from islamic terrorist lone wolfs in our midst)

>>1128707
theres no way its cheaper than flying southwest or frontier; dont waste your time
>>
Am planning a trip for Tokyo in August, plus was going to check out Hokkaido. Any tips or tricks?

Shit is gonna be so dope.
>>
>>1121003
Traveling to Spain - should I have the country's emergency hotline saved in the contacts list of my phone. Also, should I have the address of the embassay of my home country said on my mobile?
>>
>>1128753
I mean, I don't see the harm in it.
>>
Is there anything to see in Eastern Poland?
>>
>>1128795
Yes. Very nice lake district, mountains (south-east) and Eurasia's last population of native wild European bison.
>>
>>1121422
Where in Porto?
What are the best things to do there?
>>
How do you guys keep your clothes clean when backpacking? How many clothes you bring?
>>
Anyone know this feel?

I love traveling, but anxiety makes it nearly impossible to enjoy.

As a kid and young adult, I traveled a lot. Hit all 50 states and 3 other countries before I was 20. Never had an issue flying or sailing or driving. Then when I turned 24 and moved away for work, traveling immediately felt different. I started having panic attacks in airport lobbies. I started getting nauseous just sitting in the passenger seat of my friend's car. I haven't left my city for two years and it is eating away at me.
>>
i have medicine i need to put on my face every day or else i will break out with painful acne
i'm going overseas for a month soon, how will i take this medicine on board? it's not prescribed and the bottle is pretty big
>>
>>1128840
Key is not to bring too many clothes. Also, find a launderette/wash them in a river/wash them at a hostel.
>>
>>1128840
Bring clothes that don't need ironing and that dry fast.
Use laundromat/self-service laundry or the washing machine from the place you're staying (if available).
If neither is available, wash in the sink/shower/bath/river before sleep and let it dry overnight.
>>
>>1128879
what are examples of clothes that dry fast?
>>
>>1128859
I would like to know this as well, damn eczema
>>
>>1121056
What barriers do you think traveling has to masturbating?
>>
>>1128859
>>1128882
Checked luggage
>>
>>1121003
Should I visit Venice Beach or Vespucci Beach?
>>
>>1128888
what?
>>
>>1128897
How does one take a large bottle of medicinal stuff on board the plane? "In checked luggage" seems to be an answer. It avoids any TSA issues involving carry-on luggage.
Unless the flight is so long anon needs access to the stuff during the flight.

Whether it is legal to import the stuff into any particular foreign country is a different question.
>>
>>1128904
oh, i was under the impression that you couldn't take anything like that on the plane at all. it's fine if i just leave it in my suitcase then, right?
>>
>>1128907
It isn't actually explosive, is it? Then it should be fine. They may open up your suitcase if it shows up funny on their sensors, though. Rumor has it that happens with peanut butter.
>>
>>1128911
i don't think so.
>>
File: 1465051318287.jpg (788KB, 910x1384px) Image search: [Google]
1465051318287.jpg
788KB, 910x1384px
Is there a good way to find deals on last minute tickets, if you don't have a specific destination in mind?

Like, if I want to fly somewhere in the world tomorrow, I could browse a big list of the cheapest destinations and choose my destination based on low cost.
>>
>>1128915
flights.google.com?
You'll have a hard time getting cheap flights there last minute, though.
>>
Can smoking cannabis in Amsterdam create any problems for me when leaving the Netherlands and continuing my trip?
>>
>>1128939
yes you will get cancer
>>
>>1128880
thin cotton or linens (gingham or madras, for example). Obviously those are more for summer.

As for synthetics, polyester blends dry fairly fast...

>>1128939
Not unless you're carrying unsmoked cannabis with you. Any amount is illegal to carry over the border, but under a few grams they'll probably just take it away and lecture you. If you're being a dick or lied to them, you're looking at a fine and they may keep a record of it. more than 10 grams or so, it's a definite fine. Over 100g or so, you'll probably be thrown in front of a judge. I've 'smuggled' leftovers in the 3-10gram range many times and never been caught. YMMV. Look as normalfag as possible, don't use on the day you're travelling. Usually the teenagers wearing WEED LMAO hats and chains make those undercover cops' jobs a lot easier.

Otherwise no. It's not illegal to smoke, and no one cares if you're high so long as you're not making a spectacle. It's worth noting that some anti-fun countries like Singapore or Qatar have thrown people in jail for literal dust specks of weed in old unwashed jeans.
>>
What is a general budget for Peru in Aug/Sep?
30$ a good number, not including excursions?
>>
>>1121003
How do I stay incognito while travelling?

My work is quite likely to take me on short over-the-border trips, mostly in the EU, of which I am a citizen. Is there any way to stay anonymous between countries? How do I travel without revealing my name? It's basically just to get a kick out of travel, but it's just for my own amusement. Anyone got tips on this? Can I travel anonymously by plane?
>>
File: interview_1.jpg (253KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
interview_1.jpg
253KB, 1920x1040px
What do employers think of travelling?

Have you ever been turned down for a job because you had been travelling?

Do they not just see you as a lazy hippie?
>>
>>1129018
>Can I travel anonymously by plane?
No, but other transport forms, e.g. train, are pretty anonymous really. Or just drive. Obviously if you're in the EU (well, the Schengen Area) there are no borders to worry about.
>>
>>1129021
Fuck no.

My employer actually sent me on a business trip. And as a free-lance interpreter, I'll get a shitload of travel done. And the more flexible I am, the better people pay me.
>>
>>1129023
That's nice. I might go by car across basically any country, that way the paper trail ends at my airport destination.
>>
>>1129027

Okay, but I mean I'm a NEET (I had a good job but quit it, because I'm stupid)

I have known of some friends who went travelling just after university and they got away with it

So I'm thinking of travelling now and getting a job when I get back, do you reckon that would be okay or would look shit to employers?

Bear in mind I've been NEET now for 10 months (yeah... I mean I was going to go travelling but kept chickening out. And honestly I don't want to go back to fucking work until I've done something fun)
>>
>>1129030
You never need to mention it, if you think it'll be looked down upon. But skills made by travelling may be nice. You know your way, plan well, know to improvise. That's what's hidden in "travelling".
>>
Can someone recommend me a good backpack that opens like a suitcase?
I know the Tortuga Air and Tortuga travel.
What else can you guys recommend that I can bring as a carry-on?
>>
>>1129244
Timbuk2 has some options just like that.
>>
>>1129276
Not to sound like a shill, but they also have a 30% off sale on all items on their website. Plus if you sign up for their newsletter, you get a 10% off code, which you can use with the sale.
>>
As a black man, will girls be racist towards me in Europe?
Not african, south american.
>>
>>1121003
I want to travel somewhere cheap in europe during the summer where I won't get killed, for a cheap price. Where to?
I would pick prague if I wouldn't already have been there. Cheap flight to there, nice city and cheap living there. Any similar place?
>>
>>1129321
no ones care where you're from when you're black. Everyone will assume you're African anyway, and if you're not dressed well, will assume you're a refugee.

Racism will vary. No one's going to lynch you, but neither will they invite you to bull at their orgy.
>>
File: 0e5099397e[1].png (8KB, 708x125px) Image search: [Google]
0e5099397e[1].png
8KB, 708x125px
is this in my time zone or the time in the country it will be when i arrive?
>>
>>1129398
Local time.
>>
>>1129401
so it will be 9:20 in athens when i arrive?
>>
window or aisle seat?
middle or back?
>>
>>1129409
Aisle because I rarely sleep and I like being to stretch into the aisle because long legs.

Middle because I hate being stuck waiting for people to get off.
>>
>>1129412
So you're one of those people that stands up as soon as the plane stops taxiing and immediately grabs your bag and starts pushing to get off? Is it really that hard to wait another 5 minutes max at the end of a flight for people to get off? Have never understood that.
>>
>>1129415
Nah, I'm not pushing to get off and grabing my shit, but I hate the wait. At least after a long flight I just want to stretch my legs and get some fresh air.
>>
How do you get the time to travel for extended periods? I work 40 a week and not sure how you guys can just get out for a month and go right back to work like nothing happened
>>
>>1129421
i get summers off from classes and become a neet, and i used my financial aid reward
>>
>>1129421
well im a wagecuck turned NEET just using my savings
>>
Is buses literally the cheapest way to travel to other cities from paris?
I like to see European marts,what are the must see marts at paris and munich?
Poorfag from taiwan here, is airbnb the most cheap solution when it's about sleeping?
>>
>>1129461
By mart I mean like carrefour and Aldi
>>
>>1129461
that's bullshit about no more hostels anywhere else in the country. All major european cities have hostels, be they Pristhina in Kosovo or Paris in France.
>>
>>1129485
Nowadays, you can find some sort of accommodation even in "le fin fond de la Creuse".
As an example, there's one in Cressanges, in Auvergne, who offer privates for 16€.
http://www.hostels.com/cressanges/france
>>
>>1129515
post pic of you in skirt and we will decide
>>
>>1129515
Can you reliably pass for female?
>>
Has anyone here ever done the Icelandic ring-road trip? If so, how much did it cost?

Me and a friend have been looking to take a trip for 2-3 weeks this summer, but only have a budget of about £700 each. He's very keen on Iceland, but I think it might be out of our price bracket. Also, neither of us are experienced outdoorsmen, so if we did choose to camp for some or all of the nights, it would probably have to be at a fairly basic campsite with some amenities (e.g. toilets, showers) provided.
>>
Suppose you're overseas or just somewhere you went to by plane, and want to do some day hikes or one nights in the wilderness. How to get transportation there? Would car rental be necessary, and what kind of prices are you looking at then? Sorry this is so vague. I'm interested most in Japan, parts of Europe, and parts of US and CAN for now.

>>1123308

Probably if you pack light and people put their pack on their lap. I've done it before. Remember to bring water, one of those 5 gallon jugs will do ya plus a bottle or two personal each.

>>1123317
>5 mattresses

Fag. If it's winter, sleeping pads, they are about the size of yoga mats. If it's summer don't bother, just summer bags.

>camp chairs, a table or a gazebo.

He's camping, not building a house you colossal pansy ass.

>>1125700

Check out local campgrounds and their bearcan suggestions. Otherwise you can usually get away with putting it in the trunk if you're carcamping. A bear can smash your windows but I don't know how they could get into the trunk. Still, be careful with food, don't get any near your campsite or on the car, and try to put everything in sealed containers anyway. The bear can doesn't prevent smells, it prevents the bear physically breaking into it, so for car camping it is useless. Generally, I'd say be cautious because canada is known for burrs. Do NOT eat in your car. Vacuum and clean your car first if you ever have eaten in it. Do not prepare or eat food in/near the car or your campsite. Give it 50-100 yards away from where you will be sleeping. It's not just burrs but yotes as well, and depending where in cannuckda maybe wolves. They probably will not kill you, but you will piss yourself waking up to that in your camp. desu mountain lions are more dangerous.

Also no toothpaste, deodorant, soap, etc in your camp, treat it like food.
>>
Most public transport sites need you to put in a location and a destination to show you the options. Is there a site that I can leave the destination open to just see what my public transport options are? (Rail/bus). US.

>>1126749

If you're in a group it isn't dangerous at all no matter where you are. I've even used airbnb as a single girl and have never been raped. You're being fearmongered.

>>1128188

Save your money, it isn't worth it.

>>1129515
>makeup bag

Waste of pack space. I travel in dresses/skirts and have no problems. I suggest spats under it though, backpacks tend to fuss up the back of dresses.
>>
>>1129522
>the EU has been very successful at integrating them into europe
LOL

>because unlike racist americans, they take a sensible approach to foreign races
>centuries of petty wars
>concentration camps
>Srebrenica et al
>>
>>1129594
Bears typically avoid people if possible. They aren't really afraid of humans, they just smell weird and to them we are noisy shrill creatures. Bears habituated to human presence (usually garbage dumps) have even less fear, and those are the kind you should be weary of. Grizzlies out west will be curious by the smells of your food, IF they are hungry and not finding enough fish, berries or baby moose. Their sheer size makes their curiosity dangerous. Of course, they may also just feel like sampling a walking hairless pale meatbag once in their life and go for you. It's pretty rare though.

Polar bears are one of the few animals that will actively humans (and anything else fresh, warm and pumping with blood, for that matter). I assume you're not going to be in polar bear territory.

I wouldn't worry about wolves. They avoid people and you have to pretty far north to encounter them. They have to be literally starving to death to go after humans. If anything, it'll be the outcast lone wolf, usually a starving juvenile, that might brazenly go after you. They scare easy though.

Coyotes are little pricks. Run some over if you get the chance.

But generally, yea, it's a good idea to keep any food way from you. When I was a kid, we always hung it in big sack up a tree in a strategic spot (edge of camp, not between any tents, vehicles or escape routes)
>>
>>1129643
>>1129594
If you are in bear territory you need bearproof containers and shit. Look up wherever you're going first.
>>
>>1129350
pretty pls
>>
>>1129350
Brno. Get shitfaced with Moravians! Or Bratislava.
>>
I've got a couple of patches from countries I've visited as souvenirs. What is the best place to put them? I was thinking of either a jacket, bag, or a random big piece of cloth.
>>
>>1130910
I'd assume ironing them on if they're the type that allows for it.
>>
>>1125615
take a plane for sure. airbaltic has some cheap flights from helsinki to kiev.
>>
Might be travelling to Vietnam in early Feb next year. How's the weather that time of year?

Also heard I might need to bring money to bribe airport officials for easier entry (not sure why, I have valid papers) and also to bribe police in case they try to shake me down. Is this true?
>>
i want to go to auckland nz from america what should i expect? how do i make friends if i am aspie? can you rent motorcycles or buy shitty ones for dirt cheap there?
>>
>>1128858
That's not normal or healthy. You should talk to someone about that
>>
>>1121154
Do some laps. Try to get an outside seat so you can walk around the plane once every hour or so if need be.

On long-ass flights no one thinks weird of it.
>>
>>1131033
Auckland is cool but I'd recommend spreading out a bit. 68 cents buys one NZD so your money will go farther than usual but i dunno about motorcycle rentals. One of the hostels I stayed at in Taupo had scooters but they were horribly slow, made of cheap feeling plastic, and they were also fucking scooters.

But yeah, you'll be okay. I even reccomend the kiwi experience bus tour- you might even get laid.
>>
What locations in the U.S. have a high Buddhist or Hindu population? I'd like to meet more people with an outlook like mine.
>>
>>1132503
According to the Pew Research Center, Hawaii tops out the Buddhist percentage at 8%, while New Jersey tops out the Hindu percentage at 3%.
>>
>>1128019
I've never done it before and I'd like to start but never got the chance
Being in Italy I had my eyes on Liguria or South Tyrol, anyone got any tips?
>>
>>1132593
But also consider that there would be local concentrations -- there is, for example, a huge Indian population in Sugarland, TX, or Chinatowns in many major cities.
>>
My job ends in November and I'm looking to blow a little cash to get to Europe. I live in DC btw. Is it worth going in Winter/Early spring to keep prices low? Where would be an ideal location at this time of the year? Open to any suggestions for location too
>>
>>1121003
can someone give me general advice about traveling to Vietnam? 19 y.o., landing in Saigon August 11, 3 month visa, but plan to go from Vietnam to Thailand and/or Cambodia and return in December (4 months of travel).

At this point I have no real plans for once I'm there. How important is it that I make (some) concrete plans?

All suggestions appreciated
>>
>>1132658
>Vietnam
>At this point I have no real plans for once I'm there. How important is it that I make (some) concrete plans?
Provided you have some cash and no commitments, the region you're in is very friendly to casual travel.

You're starting in the most rigid country and already have a visa so everything else is pretty smooth sailing with the occasional token bribe (USD$1 fee for 'processing').

You're kind of starting at the wrong end of Vietnam because Saigon -> Cambodia -> Thailand makes the most sense.

Still, you can go up and back down Vietnam in that timeframe easily or go up and then over to Laos or the top end of Cambodia. All easily doable.

I guess I might do something like:
Saigon, up the coast to Hanoi seeing all the usual things along the way. Up to Sapa and bum around, go down to Ha Long bay, then back to Hanoi. Then get a 24hour bus to Laos (the journey sucks, be sure and get a comfy bus or you will really, really regret it, don't buy a bus ticket in advance, just get a ticket to the bus itself then buy a ticket from the driver, that way you know what bus you're getting on and they can't bait and switch).

In Laos, do whatever for a while and then get on a boat that goes down the Mekong. Get off in Cambodia somewhere and do shit there. Then over to Thailand.

Then fly home from Thailand.

That's kind of how I'd do it. Four months is a long time, you should be able to see and do a lot of shit in each country.
>>
>>1121008
Kaş
>>
File: pls respond.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pls respond.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
>>1121003
What part of the world needs tig welders?
>>
>>1121003
If I impregnated a girl in Japan and she only has my Tinder account, is there any way it can lead back to me (legally) in the States?

All of my Tinder stuff was fake (aside from the picture).
>>
File: 1466466254710.jpg (868KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1466466254710.jpg
868KB, 1280x1280px
What Euro cities have the best "cafe culture?" Relaxed social scenes/bars and cheap food. I wanna feel like I'm living in a Hemingway book.

Some expats would be nice too. I'd wanna basically live there for a month or so. I can work remotely so money wouldn't be an issue.

Or is this an unreasonable ask?

pic unrelated
>>
>>1132711
Lisboa
Porto

Dirt cheap, excellent coffee and pastries.
>>
>>1123953
Yes. I've just been and I'm 23 and Scottish. Use your common sense and you'll be fine. Stay away from the Thai border though. Peninsular Malaysia is fantastic, enjoy it if you go. Wish I was still there.
>>
>>1124073
Singapore is absurdly safe.
>>
>>1125446
Crossing the Singapore Malaysia border is fine. Go very early in the morning though, or the queues will be massive.

One thing to remember is that you'll be given an embarcation card when you get into Singapore, which you'll need give to the folk at the border when you leave. DO NOT LOSE THIS CARD.
>>
>>1132668
>wondering the exact same thing
Sup fellow TIGmonkey.
>>
File: 14334291032100.jpg (44KB, 400x525px) Image search: [Google]
14334291032100.jpg
44KB, 400x525px
>>1121003
Need to get from New York to New Orleans. No airplanes. Are buses safe? I was told buses aint safe in USA can get beaten and shit, still cant check if this is true. Trains seems to be a decent option, can i buy train ticket straight from Pennsylvania train station, NY? I hate all this machines and credit cards, using cash...
>>
File: 7565663.jpg (50KB, 500x691px) Image search: [Google]
7565663.jpg
50KB, 500x691px
>>1132809
I checked Delta for tickets, it is like $300 more expensive than train, or maybe i am looking in wrong place.
>>
>>1132593
Hawaii? Good Lord I was hoping for someplace like Washington or Oregon.
>>
>>1132697
Paternity suits have never crossed borders in a binding way. Your child is probably a smattering of bloody goo in an abortionists office anyway. No way is a Jap woman in 2016 having a mixling bastard. You're safe m8.
>>
>>1132711
+1 for Lisbon. I'd also suggest perhaps Valencia.

Vienna is classic, although some of those cafes are pretty snooty. Berlin if you want modern hipster shit.
>>
>>1132503
>wanting to be Hindu
Better than Muzzies or Rabbinical faith which shall not be named, but still pig disgusting.
>>
>>1132657
Winter is generally pretty meh. Grey and rainy in most places, even in the Mediterranean. Unless you want the full winter experience which is pretty nice. Go skiing/snowboarding and visit Christmas markets in smaller/mid-size German/Austrian/Swiss towns. (Big cities are pretty commercial and lacking in charm, IMHO.)
>>
Very specific money question:

Going to Canada, American bank account.

What's the best way to get hold of Canadian money? Withdraw Dollars without fees in the US and get them changed in Canada? Or just use my American card at Canadian ATMs?

Or does it not make much difference?
>>
>>1132828
jesus fuck you people are scum
>>
>>1132859
Need a kleenex, moralfag? Every sperm is sacred, so think twice.
>>
File: current_year_man.jpg (58KB, 614x412px) Image search: [Google]
current_year_man.jpg
58KB, 614x412px
>>1132828
>2016
>the current year
>>
>>1132855
What's the best way to get hold of Canadian money?
>enter Canada
>approach the first ATM you see
>insert your debit card
>enter your PIN number
>select the amount of cash you want
>press OK for any various option until you get your cash
>take your cash when it is pushed out of the machine
>walk away from the ATM

It's really as easy as that. You can double check if your bank has a partner bank in Canada that doesn't charge you fees. Otherwise it's a bullshit expense we just have to live with.
>>
>>1124319
I like Galway, bit tourist-trappy in parts but some really nice bars, restaurants, etc. Not sure I'd want to live there, it's a bit small and self-contained for me, but that really depends what you're into. People in my experience were generally what you get anywhere in central and Southern Ireland, friendly enough and happy to have a drink and talk bollocks with anyone they meet but utterly unreliable, think it was there that a guy offered me a lift the next morning then when I rang him admitted he didn't actually have a car. Was hilarious at the time but maybe take promises with a pinch of salt.

As for biking, not really my thing but the entire West coast is beautiful and I imagine there's bike routes along it, walking's a fairly big thing there.
>>
>>1132894
>>1124319
Oh and I forgot to say, Ireland's really well connected with public transport and such, ended up having to get a coach from Cork to Dublin and IIRC it cost less than 20 quid and took about 4 hours, wouldn't be too hard to see the rest of the island from Galway.
>>
>>1129021
Pretty sure its the opposite. I recently had kind of a first meeting for newly hired people, and they asked us about what we are planning to do in the meantime since most of us graduated earlier this year and the job starts in september.

I was literally the only one who even said something, rest were all shut-in basement-dwellers. The company-people seemed quite interested in my travel plans and asked about my experiences and where I had already been to etc...

And actually, I already graduated last year so I spent more than a whole year dicking around and still easily found a job so dont worry.
>>
I've been planning a trip to southern Africa.

Is Harare worth a visit?

Is Jo'burg actually a shithole or is that just a /pol/ meme? (I've heard mixed reviews IRL.)
>>
>>1132882
>see simple question
>believe the answer is "not much difference" as the anon seems to imply he expects
>decide to reply
>but can't help self from replying in a long-winded and passive-aggressive way because of raging autism

Thanks anyway.

You missed off "select withdrawal" from your list, by the way.
>>
>>1132808
Not true at all the buses are safe, and yes you can buy a ticket on Amtrak in Penn. Station to New Orleans. (I recommend the train)
>>
>>1132668
>>1132733
pretty sure there are welding-jobs in Germany, not sure how much language-knowledge is required though
>>
>>1132901
You don't go to Zimbabwe for it's lovely space-age cities, that's for sure. Overall it's a safe country for tourists, but poverty can lead to desperation anywhere. Keep that in mind. Goes for Jo'burg too. There are nice parts, you just have to keep your wits about you (perhaps more so than you're used to). Do as the locals do when getting around (take registered taxis, stay in groups, know where you're going, don't wander off drunk and alone in unknown areas), and you'll be fine. If you're held up, do exactly as demanded, don't give any lip or try any heroics, because there are people who really really do not give a fuck about killing you for $10.

>>1132902
>You missed off "select withdrawal" from your list, by the way.
and I have the raging autism?...

He asked a question, I gave an answer. Try lightening up and laughing a little, sperglord.

>>1132899
This. I travel a lot, even been out of work (when young, albeit) for a total of 30ish months devoted to various travels. It has never ever been a liability, and if anything only piques interest (and a bit of envy I dare say).
>>
Every airport has advice on how much time to leave for check in. How much time should I leave for checking out of an airport?

I'm going to be arriving in Heathrow, considering booking a coach for shortly after arrival.
>>
>>1132961
YMMV, but I usually give myself 45-60 minutes, just to account for any baggage delays, customs line-ups, a toilet break (I can never shit on planes), and not having to scramble, etc. Heathrow is fairly efficient given its size.
>>
>>1132965
I'm travelling long-haul so they say to leave 3 hours for check in. Is it similar on the way out? I'm assuming there's security checks again.
>>
I'm looking at going to Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto this December. Can someone give me a rough estimate on how many days is adequate for each of these cities?
>>
>>1132968
No security but there's customs and immigration. Depending on the airport and time of day it could take a while or be quick. Never been to Heathrow but I bet it takes at least 45 minutes to get out of there.
>>
>>1121154
Xanax.
Or accept the fact you're going to die one day anyway and it's nearly entirely out of your hands.
>>
I want to get into camping, but I'm having a really difficult time trying to get myself to move outside my comfort zone of staying at hotels & motels. How fix?
>>
>>1121154
I'll add to what >>1132973 said. I basically convinced myself over time that I'd rather the fractional possibility of dying in a plane crash than a life without traveling and experiencing the things I want to. Having a few drinks before/during a flight helps, too.
>>
>>1132971
you can do montreal in 3 days to a week and get most of stuff out of it. Depends on what kind of things you enjoy, and how much you can do in a day. Its a city for 18-29 yr olds.

My city, Toronto, is an odd city. There are many things you can do, but most things are pretty dispersed. If you include a day trip to Niagara, I would devote at least 5 days.
-A day biking lakeshore/ferry to centre island,
-a day of touristy stuff like the CN Tower or the Aquarium,
-a day of exploring yonge/bloor/financial area (including the st.lawrence market old town area)
-a day of exploring down queen/king (maybe checking out TIFF if you're into that) and seeing music or clubbing
- a day exploring kensington/the annex (hipster stuff + weed)
>>
>>1132986
>i want to go camping, but i'm not going camping, what do?
go camping
>>
>>1133007
>a day of exploring yonge/bloor/financial area
Gah, why would you suggest this? Who cares. Yonge street is a blight by and large. Eaton Centre is less than an hour, unless you want to shop. St.Lawrence is an OK idea.

Instead: Distillery district. Rouge River valley for some walking/biking and the little beach if the weather is nice. The Brickworks is kinda nice in conjunction with some walking in the Don Valley, where you can also rent a canoe on the Don river (I guess not in winter though! -- still if the weather isn't too cold and you've maybe got some snow to pretty it up, it would be worth it to explore the Don valley). Toronto has hands down one of the best restaurant scenes in North America. You've got greasy-spoon crap all the way up to fine dining, and literally any type of cuisine you could want. Depending when exactly you're there, there's Winterlicious going on. Harbourfront centre has interesting little 'festivals' now and then.

Anyway, if you clarify what you're interested in, I'm sure we can give you more pointers. To answer your question, a good 3 days per city at least.

Not to sound too tinfoil or anything, but the only downside to Canada is the stultifying soviet-mentality a lot of people have. I.e. wanting the government as a nanny-state to control everything for them. You will see this manifested in many subtle ways. For example in rules/prices about alcohol. Even now they're talking about legalizing weed, but astonishingly, polls suggest they want to hand over every aspect of it to the bloated bureaucratic state alcohol monopoly (LCBO). You can't make this stuff up!
>>
Heading to Prague for their Choral Festival. I won't have much downtime, but what should I do there before going back to the States?
>>
I NEED ideas of what bag to get for backpacking Europe for 2 months. Something that doesn't look riduclous but is functional. Would the Osprey farpoint 40 do the job? Any other suggestions?
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.