[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth moving to San Jose, CA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: 1.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
I currently live in Toronto, Canada as a student with my mother and I am currently debating if I should stay here or move to San Jose, California.

Apparently, the job that I'm going for here in Toronto starts off at 58k CAD which is 44k USD. If I were to get hired as the same job in San Jose, they start off at 84k USD which is 110k CAD.

It would take me literally 6 years to get up to that salary in Toronto when I start at 100k CAD in San Jose.

Though after a little bit of comparing, the cost of living in San Jose is a little bit (27%) more expensive than in Toronto. But to argue you're making much more money and the Canadian dollar is 0.76 to the American dollar.

Is it worth moving for a better possible quality of life?
>>
I'd take it for that money.

But the city itself is a bit boring. Not sure what race you are but there are a lot of mexicans and some asians (mostly SEA like viets and flips). it's a bit ghetto in some areas
>>
>>1118128
If you live in central Toronto and enjoy big city life, moving may not be your best choice--although San Jose is technically the biggest city in the Bay Area, and there is a downtown core that is supposedly improving (Apple is building a massive new campus, larger than the mothership in Cupertino, and the city anticipates a lot of new residents and housing), the city is quite spread out and feels very suburban. Single family homes, strip malls, driving everywhere, etc. Weather's good, though... warmer and sunnier than in San Francisco (where I live). Anyplace on the Peninsula (the area between SJ and SF) is mostly fairly attractive, medium-to-insanely expensive suburbs.

As you may know, more and more tech people with jobs in Silicon Valley choose to live in San Francisco and commute, some on company buses. This is not actually a cool perk, and more of an ordeal--you're looking at hours on a clogged highway for what could be a couple of hours a day, whether on a bus or in your own vehicle. Plus sentiments are mixed at best in the city about the tech people, who are increasingly blamed for rising rents and declining quality of life (they're not quite responsible for the former but have certainly contributed to the latter in some ways).

Anyway, a good life can certainly be made in and around San Jose. But it probably makes more sense to worry about this decision when you've got job offers to choose from.
>>
>>1118140
That's what I'm thinking, also in terms of property, you get space for your buck. Plus the weather is a plus.

>>1118149
I do enjoy the big city life but it does get pricey! I don't mind living in the suburbans, the homes there seems nice and you're getting better quality for your dollar compare here in Toronto. I don't mind the drives as I love cars. But I would stick to San Jose because I can make the most money there instead of San Fran. It's definitely a tough choice!
>>
>>1118128
Just graduating from college? Consider what company is the more valuable on your resume. Or what start is the more reliable/valuable start. I don't know what your dream job is, or what your qualifications are, other than this degree you have, but in the US, if it's IT/Tech it's wayyyyyy more about your resume than your degree, and your first steps are pretty important.

I'm guessing you are looking up salary ranges for a career field, and not actually comparing an actual offer from Company A and Company B. To work in the US, you'd need that company to want you so badly that they'd be willing to finance and do the HR legwork on getting the work visa, sight-unseen of your work ethic and unproved quality, and a company that does that would have to be larger and willing to sink in headhunter type funds of 10k or more just to have you, and as such, would probably offer you loss income than you think, to counter the loss, and possibility that you'll split or not work out. They're sort of responsible for you, as well.

The time is indeed now, and if I'm right in assuming IT, don't forget to look at the other Silicon Valley, the Dulles Tech Corridor for some work too. You might get some better luck there with the distance from Asia factor, and need for people to have security clearance at so many firms. Both places have high cost of living, state taxes, elevated energy prices (like Canada). You should not expect to live the high life, but pay a ton of rent and also have roommates. But, if it's resume work that is the end goal, you'd enjoy a different locale while getting it, and probably make a ton of connections. Flights will be cheaper to/from home for the holidays if you stay East Coast.
>>
assuming you don't already have a job offer, i would start by flooding both regions with resumes. a nice thing about tech companies is that they're generally open to things like teleconference interviews that other industries might be reluctant to use so you don't have to worry about being in the area if they're interested in meeting you.

the reason for the pay differential is you're looking at possibly the most competitive tech region in the world. whether or not it's still the heart of innovation in the field can be debated, but it is undeniably the most iconic, and that in and of itself draws people. so you'll be competing with people with experience for entry level jobs. and if you're not from around here you probably don't have any friends or family who can "put in a good word for you." like it or not connections are often key for entry positions.

re: san jose in particular, for a city of 1,000,000+ it's pretty boring, but there's lots to do nearby-sf to the north, yosemite 3 hours east, beach 1/2 hour west, monterey an hour south...
>>
>>1118158
>don't forget to look at the other Silicon Valley, the Dulles Tech Corridor for some work too.
I've never heard of the Dulles Tech Corridor, but this poster raises a good point--assuming your desired field is indeed technology--Silicon Valley is obviously the #1 tech center in the US, and perhaps globally, but there are a number of other regions with concentrations of tech jobs. Lot of startups in and around Durham, NC (world-class medical research university has spawned lots of biotech), lots of tech in and Boston (education, education, education), Austin, Seattle, NYC, and apparently Virginia (assuming that's where the Dulles Tech Corridor is--near DC, probably gets whiz kids from Virginia Tech and lots of government contracts). Any of these places is going to be cheaper than the Bay Area, even NYC, believe it or not.
>>
>>1118128
I've lived in San Jose my entire life. There are pros and cons. If your job is in SF, SJ will be too far. If you are in SJ or cupertino or whatever, SJ is fine.

convenience: Very developed, so there are lots of restaurants and stores. You won't have to go far to get what you need
Entertainment: Lots of forms of entertainment, has a hockey team. Lots of concerts and comedy shows in the bay area.
Location: about an hour from SF, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel etc
Jobs: Lots of high paying jobs. You have to be retarded to not be able to support yourself
Nature: California is beautiful. San Jose is a city, but just being in California is great. I love being able to drive a few hours in different directions and get snow, hills, mountains, grasslands, forests, beaches. Lots of wildlife refuges and national parks/state parks. Lots of endemic species.
Public transit: its not the best, its not the worst. Its nice to be able to survive using a car or public transit, you aren't forced to use public transit like San Francisco.

Cons:
People: people are rude as fuck. Lot of low income people having kids at 15 and not teaching them how to be. Also techie Indians are the most entitled people you will ever meet. Lot of idealistic millennials that have family money and think they know everything. Not everyone is terrible, and there are a lot of great people, but when you go out you will definitely see shitty people.
Price: shit is expensive and it just keeps going up. 84k starting is fine though, you'll be alright.
Traffic: I grew up here, so it seems normal to me, but to get to a school 15 minutes away, I would spend an hour, an hour and a half in traffic both ways. (South San Jose to Mission College) Its only bad for a few hours in the morning and in the evening.
Bad areas: I don't really notice it, but there are a few bad areas. Parts of eastside, westside, and downtown. Lots of crazies, crackheads, people talking to themselves, asking for money etc.
>>
>>1118158
>>1118164
>>1118170
>>1118178
Thanks for all your input, the job I'm going for is a police officer.
>>
>>1118248
that's not what i was expecting.

fwiw sjpd is also very competitive (usually 1000+ applicants for ~30 academy spots, many of whom have previous leo experience), and nepotism/connections are an even bigger factor.
>>
>>1118252
Though they love Canadian applicants because usually we have more education, more experience and usually more intelligent than most applicants.
>>
>>1118178
What the fuck job could possible make 84k STARTING?
>>
>>1118255
>more experience
>I currently live in Toronto, Canada as a student with my mother

i'm guessing your resume's a bit light (your smart-assness didn't go undetected, just pointing out the gap)

and how does being a foreign citizen affect your prospects? i wouldn't be entirely surprised if law enforcement has some long term residence requirements before hiring.
>>
>>1118256
Police officer in San Jose
>>
>>1118261
I have plenty of experience for my age and I would need a perm res to apply
>>
>>1118248
Hmm. Interesting. You can, of course, at least theoretically be a cop anywhere. Why San Jose?

I know that San Jose is one of a bunch of Bay Area communities that has specifically been emphasizing hiring more locals and more non-white officers (in many towns around here you have police forces that are nearly all white dudes who don't live in the cities or towns they work in, which exacerbates tension with local communities), so I'm not sure how many visas the department would be interested in sponsoring. Are you an American or dual citizen? I'm not sure I've ever met a non-citizen cop, although here in SF we've got plenty of immigrant police (mostly from greater China and the Philippines).

Do police departments hire internationally?
>>
>>1118265
Mostly because of the pay, if you read my original post, you'll see what I said. But other factors would be better weather, better housing market for your dollar and new experience.

I am a Canadian citizen and San Jose does take out of area applicants.
>>
>>1118264
what kind of experience? any law enforcement, private security or military? so you speak spanish, vietnamese or tagalog? do you have a degree? if so, what, and what level? do you have any family in law enforcement? why do you want to be a police officer? why was sj so enticing you left your family in toronto (and don't say the $!)?

i'm not trying to be a dick, i wish you the best of luck, but i wasn't kidding about 1000+ applicants for 30 spots. and enough of them answer "yes" to all those questions that you're going to have a hard time getting past them.
>>
>>1118264
>I have plenty of experience for my age
How does a student living at home get law enforcement experience? I'm being snotty, I just don't get it.
>and I would need a perm res to apply

And where will you get this? All the green card holders I know are either married to locals or got sponsored through jobs.
>>
>>1118266
if you give those answers in an interview you're not getting a second one.

you need to talk about the community and your interest in having a positive role in it, which is going to be difficult if you're from 2000 miles away.
>>
>>1118267
I have military experience and law enforcement experience. 1 degree in Criminology and 2 diplomas. Tons of volunteer and security experience. I've trained with US military and British counterparts. I'm sure I have enough on my resume but any new experience can be added.

And yes, literally the money, the sunshine, the better housing market, the new experience and a little bit cheaper economy draws me to SJ.
>>
>>1118271
Obviously, lmao. This is just being honest.
>>
>>1118281
fair 'nuff. assuming you're not lying to show off to invisible strangers on the internet you're much better prepared than i'd expect some random dong here to be.

just gotta work on those interview answers now. ;)
>>
File: image.png (238KB, 500x709px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
238KB, 500x709px
>>1118281
>better housing market
>>
>>1118285
Thanks, much appreciated. And yes, you always should prepare for police interviews, they usually go on for an hour or two. Maybe even more.

>>1118286
I live downtown Toronto already in a condo and the prices are skyrocketing. You are literally paying 500, 600, 700, 800k for a little 700-900 square feet box in the sky.
>>
>>1118286
At least you'll be getting more space for your buck. Plus you can always live outside of San Jose where it is cheaper. I don't mind the 30 minute drive in, I like to drive.
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (39KB, 428x288px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
39KB, 428x288px
>>1118288
well like i said, good luch. i made it through the first round of interviews there about a 15 years ago (before i realized i wanted to do fire) on nothing more than enthusiasm and the ability to sell myself. their obstacle course was fun as fuck.
>>
>>1118286
On top of that don't forget I'm making less money in Toronto right? If I were to join the police service there, I would be starting off at 58k CAD rather than 110k CAD in San Jose.

So if I'm making that kind of money, I'm having to buy 600k CAD small homes?
>>
>>1118295
Thanks! Hope you like your job in fire!

California literally has the highest paid cops in all of the US.
>>
>>1118297
i love it. and i have nothing but the utmost respect for cops, but it's not a job i want.

fwiw, we're paid more than you. :p
>>
>>1118304
Damn I know! But I love the cop job more than fire! Plus I get more action sometimes you know ;)
>>
Come visit the area before moving. Go to downtown San Jose at night and walk around. Then go to Monterey Rd between Curtner and San Fernando. Just drive around the different areas. Its not the most dangerous place to be a cop, but its not the safest either. If you want an exciting career as a cop where you never know what you might be walking in to and you need to be at your best all the time, San Jose is a good choice. If the idea of being a police in San Jose doesn't bother you after visiting, then do it. They get paid a lot and are always needing people.

Also be aware the process to become a cop here is long. I'm guessing you haven't started taking any of the tests yet?
>>
>>1118248
>Thanks for all your input, the job I'm going for is a police officer.
ohhh, I just assumed Tech. Why San Jose of all places? Are you bilingual/Spanish or Chinese or some other Asian language? That's going to matter there, and anywhere in CA really.

I'm going to suggest something in the Capitol region then or a major city with a VERY HIGH per capita income so you can avoid some of the inner city nonsense that makes this job one that record numbers of citizens are leaving in droves or retiring early. Didn't you see Ferguson on the news? This job was well paid post 9/11, but now it's like having a target on your head and a camera on your body. Probably hardest job in the nation right now for new applicants, so might be fine to do this. Probably not the forum for it, though. WTF is your draw to San Jose? Girl there? Got some interesting skills? Forensics? Diving? Dog training? Military? What was your bachelors in?
>>
>>1118322
Because San Jose is one of the best paid police services in the US yet alone the world. And no I am not bilingual but I plan to learn sign language soon.

But that's what mainly draws me to California in general, high paid police services, beautiful weather, better housing for your buck, slightly cheaper economy and it's a new experience.

I have a bachelors in Criminology, 2 diplomas, military and security experience. I also volunteer a lot and have trained with US and British military counterparts.
>>
>>1118325

nesicitas aprendar espanol, homie, sign language isn't worth shit in California.
>>
>>1118325
>Because San Jose is one of the best paid police services in the US yet alone the world. And no I am not bilingual but I plan to learn sign language soon.
They want US Citizens. It's pretty clear on their website, over and over and over.
http://www.sjpd.org/JoinSJPDBlue/RecruitApplicants.html
>>
>>1118348
Lol it fully says perm res...
>>
>>1118351
I guess permanent residency is an instant process for Canadians who are seeking citizenship, not just wanting to live here in order to work, before they actually get a job offer and/or marriage. I didn't realize you'd risk your national medical forever like that switching citizenship, either.
>>
>>1118355
Its all about the money and lifestyle buds
>>
File: countingbread.gif (883KB, 144x192px) Image search: [Google]
countingbread.gif
883KB, 144x192px
>>1118366
>I can bypass complicated and lengthy bureaucratic processes
>they'll understand
>it's all about the benjamins
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.