[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slow Traveling Vietnam and Asia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: vnmotorbike.jpg (6MB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
vnmotorbike.jpg
6MB, 4288x2848px
So I've been having daily suicidal thoughts for almost 2 years now, the economy is shit, i can't get a real job and am stuck working service industry jobs despite a Bach of IT and several certifications, I can't live like this anymore so I've decided to stop living like this...

I am half way through a TEFL course, and plan to slow travel my way through SE Asia and East Asia over the next few years teaching English, going to start with Vietnam, looking at Hanoi right now but not committed or anything, almost committed to Vietnam as my first "stop" for a year or more though, anybody here ever do any slow-traveling?
>>
Vietnam seems awesome indeed

There are some stories of pokerplayers who do "slow traveling"... it's in the twoplustwo forums if you wanna search
>>
vietnam's cool but not Hanoi. Either Saigon if you like really big cities or look up some other place. Hanoi sucks (as do "communist" capitals in general)
>>
>>1109598

Are you fucking kidding me?

Hanoi is amazing. I love the place. It's one of my favourite cities in the world. It has a ton of charm, amazing food, decent nightlife (if you can find it), and it's beautiful. It's a really quirky city. I'd love to live there.
>>
Started my travels in Vietnam two years back and I never left. It's the place to be. Young, thriving, and easy to make something if you put in the time. Saigon if you are looking for ethnic charm with heavy international influence, Hanoi if you just want to duck around and get lost in it, Da Nang if you want to take it slower, get high, and turn into a monk.
>>
Official thread theme music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM
>>
What is slow travelling? Been in NZ for a month now and can't find any jobs whatsoever. Starting to feel like I've made a horrible mistake coming here after summer when all the farm jobs were around. I too, have worked in IT and have a Comp Sci degree, but nowhere seems to be hiring in Wellington?? I'd be happy shovelling literal shit as long it meant I could get paid
>>
>>1109816
You're pretty much right about fucking up the timing. Definitely get out of Wellington though, there are way too many students and international travellers like yourself competing for a small number of hospo jobs and the like. Also avoid Queenstown.

Or hop over to Aus, at least then you can live off a smaller amount of hours if you can get them - their minimum wage is the equivalent of $19NZD and they have a tax-free band under 18k income.

NZ is such a shitty country to be poor in, I don't know why so many Euros and Canadians do it.
>>
>>1109667

what do you do for a living there? what type of jobs can you do apart from English teaching
>>
>>1109816
>I too, have worked in IT
OP here, i have never worked in IT. the IT crash in Australia happened the same year i got my degree. I am up against people with 5+ years experience for jobs that pay less than a supermarket cashier

>what is slow traveling
When instead of traveling, you move to a new city every few months or every year and live in the country instead of just visit

>>1109825
>NZ is such a shitty country to be poor in
Australia is worse. we also have a housing shortage artificially made by boomers buying up all the houses and renting them out
>>
>>1109946
NZ has the same problem. Auckland's housing market just became less affordable than Sydney.
>>
I'm an English teacher in Saigon if anyone has any questions.
>>
>>1109946
>boomers

That and foreign investors
>>
>>1110555

Do you have a degree or not?

If I moved to Saigon would you be able to help me get a job? I'm a white native English speaker.
>>
>>1109598
Seconding this. I rode from north to south, hated Hanoi and absolutely loved Saigon. Saigon is the relatively liberal center full of gorgeous girls that love white guys. Nearly everyone I spoke to preferred Saigon,
>>
When traveling in Asia, how do you deal with the visas when going from one country to the next?
How do you send in your documents and go through the process when you're living a semi-hobo lifestyle? Just plan ahead?
>>
>>1110780
Some countries have visa on arrival or their consulates/embassies accept visa request from non-residents of the country the consulate/embassy is located.
Check if that's the case for the countries you want to visit.
>>
>>1110555

What's the salary like? What're the perks? Is it tax-free? Do you have your degree? What're the hours/expectations like?
>>
>>1109574

East Pacific people are very hard-assed and determined about their education, at least certainly the Vietnamese and the East Asians. Why would you go there as a failure in your own country? Why not go to MENA, as those people are far more accepting of academic failures, and they are the same race as you?
>>
>>1110780
If you're from the US you really only need a visa ahead of time for China, the rest you can get on the road or upon arrival. Just check into it a week before you're switching countries.

Actually so think even for China you can get a visa in HK.
>>
>>1110603
I do have a degree, and maybe.
>>
>>1110838
I make about $1,600 a month tax free. I do have a degree. The hours depends on how many classes you take and how much you want to work. I work 18 hours a week. The expectations are just to teach English. The schools I work for give me a lesson plan for what they want me to teach, but not all schools do that so sometimes you have to make your own.
>>
>>1110555

does your employer provide you with Vietnamese lessons? if not, how difficult is it to get around with just English? How difficult is to find Vietnamese lessons on your own?
>>
>>1111410
None of my employers provide Vietnamese lessons. It's pretty easy to get around with just English, I heard in Saigon people speak better English than in Hanoi, but I'm not sure if thats true. I very rarely have some kind of a communication issue here, you can get by with just English.

You can find Vietnamese tutors here for like $10 a hour or less. You can also use duolingo or vietnamesepod101 or some other web resources, the easiest way really is just to get Vietnamese friends to help you. My Vietnamese girlfriend has taught me most of the limited Vietnamese I know.
>>
>>1111403
What degree do you have, if you don't mind answering?
>>
>>1111427
Educational studies. But the degree doesn't matter, you can major in anything and still find lots of work.
>>
>>1111403

Did your school want your degree apostilled or do any thorough background checks, or was it just a "lol ur white, ur hired" type of a deal?

And what is actual the teaching like, e.g. is it more of the dancing white monkey variety where you sing and dance and play games for kids, or real serious teaching?
>>
>>1111399
From EU, don't know if that makes stuff simpler or harder
>>
>>1111583
Check what are the visa requirements for the countries you want to visit.
We don't know where you're from nor which countries you want to visit. And with those in hand, even a child can find the info you need so you should be able to do so by yourself.
>>
>>1111416
>I heard in Saigon people speak better English than in Hanoi
That definitely used to be true because the cyclo drivers were all vets that learnt from US soldiers and now couldn't get good jobs because they were on the wrong side of the war.

There probably aren't that many of them still working though because they're dying off. The effect is probably still there of lots of English speakers though plus the tourism industry is bigger and has been for decades so there has probably always been a core of English speakers and opportunities to speak English which means that they're probably always going to be better.
>>
>>1111544
My degree had to be notarized and I had to summit a background check from my home country. There are schools that do just hire people if you are white and speak english, but I would not want to work for those schools.

It's mostly teaching subjects and reinforcing it with games. I don't sing or dance.
>>
>>1111805
Do they want it translated in Vietnamese? Or do they accept in other languages (most likely English but maybe others)?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.