[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Barcelona residents don't want any more tourists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: Barcelona.jpg (104KB, 495x499px) Image search: [Google]
Barcelona.jpg
104KB, 495x499px
http://qz.com/453560/tourism-is-doing-more-harm-to-barcelona-than-poverty-its-residents-say/

>Locals being priced out by the proliferation of rental apartments for tourists, like AirBnB

>Polls show they consider tourism a worse problem than poverty

>Tourists over-crowding working-class neighborhoods with noise, drinking and vulgarity

>Famous market La Boquería is too crowded to even shop there now (I've personally noticed similar in Pike Market Place in Seattle).

How does /trv/ feel about this? On one hand I can sympathize with Barcelona residents that their city is being stolen from them. On the other hand, I find it laughable that they consider affluent tourists a problem while they are importing uneducated and impoverished Africans and Arabs. Their economy would be in the gutter without tourism.

For those interested, there is a good Youtube documentary at the bottom of the article about the issue.
>>
Why don't they just move to suburbs/non touristic districts?
I live in a city centre of a rather big city in italy and i appreciate seeing all the tourists roaming around, they bring money and jobs.
>>
File: Barcelona2.png (62KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
Barcelona2.png
62KB, 264x191px
>>1094491
>Why don't they just move to suburbs/non touristic districts?

Why should they be forced to move? Barcelona's most famous tourist attraction, La Sagrada Familia, is located in a residential neighborhood. But it's impossible for locals to park their car or even drive out of their house as the streets surrounding the cathedral are full of buses of Chinese tourists blocking the way. Even simple chores like grocery shopping must be a major pain.

I'm not sure what city in Italy you live in, but Venice didn't feel like a living, breathing city imo. More like a theme park. I don't expect /trv/ to agree with me as they are part of the problem.
>>
>>1094488
unemployed retards showing the world why they are unemployed: they are idiots.
Nothing to see here, OP.
>>
File: 20140817_133955.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140817_133955.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I had a 10 hour layover at Barcelona airport in August 2014 so I went for a walk around in the city.

Now such a short time spent in the city isn't a very good way to judge, but it was fucking empty. Only other place I have seen so empty is Calgary. Maybe I was just in the quiet parts? To be fair it was quite busy next to the Sagrada Familia and some of the parks, but aside from that it was dead. On top of that you only had to walk like 2 minutes away from the Sagrada or the parks, and again you would be in an empty street. Even when I was on La Rambla, it wasn't particularly busy as I recall and most of the people on it were speaking Catalan or Spanish. This was at like midday btw. I am watching the documentary linked at the bottom of the article and all the locals are moaning about everywhere being too crowded. Was my experience just a fluke?
>>
I think its pretty damn stupid to criticise people for having a desire to travel and see things in other countries.

If its not illegal for someone to travel somewhere why the hell should they be expected to avoid visiting places they find interesting? The places that feel overcrowded should implement a quota system of they feel that strongly about it.
>>
>>1094488
I wonder how they would feel if all the tourist moneys were suddenly gone. Barcelona produces shit all but I guess Spaniards are stupid enough to enjoy living in poverty so it doesn't surprise me that they would want to get rid of a huge income source.

Every major city in the world these days receives tourists. You can't expect them to just not come in. Either get with the times or go live in the bush somewhere.

>>1094504
Venice has a different issue, it's not tourists but rich people buying up property forcing locals who live there to move out as they can no longer afford it. It's happening in many places around the world including my city, Vancouver. This is a much bigger problem than tourism because it makes cities as you say become less living and breathing. Here in Vancouver for example there are now starting to be issues with finding service industry workers in the more expensive parts of town (the parts where tourists spend most of their time in). As more foreign buyers move in and push the locals into the suburbs the more of an issue this will become. Many "popular" cities have this issue, especially those in developed countries where people find it safe to invest their money into the properties they buy but also a good place to go on vacation or send their kids to. We live in a globalized world that is interconnected like never before and it's time to adapt.
>>
>>1094506
I just came back from visiting a friend in Barcelona and I had the same experience. The city was basically empty, even the tourist parts werent that busy, although I'm from London so I'm use to big crowds.

I think the city gets more crowded in the summer.
>>
>>1094504
I think the major problem Barcelona has is it's density. There are 1.6 million residents living within the 40 sqmiles of the city.
So even though tourism is an vital factor or the local economy and probably even more so in the future (with catalonia's somewhat shortsighted ideas of independence and what not), there is simply notmuch space to accomodate masses of tourists on top of an already bustling city-life. Nevertheless, I belive it's the city's government's job now to try balance things out.
Just blindly following the nay-sayers and dismanteling the touristic atractivity will backfire badly.
>>
>>1094506
>>1094554
Was it a Sunday?

Because Spain shuts down on Sundays.
>>
>> 1094533
Every major city receives tourists
Barcelona suddenly has a spontaneous reaction against it
Instataneously become original and therefor, more touristic
tourists go specifically to spot signs of hatred of tourists
>>
Barcelona is the second most visited city in Europe (after Paris), the number is high because there're cruise tourists visiting in day time.

When I went there, I chose to stay in Sants where the locals are, it's nice and much more relax than the city center.

Just some people who don't have a job moaning, no need to worry.
>>
>>1094506
My experience there was the opposite, I went there during easter and in the summer, it was extremely crowded and it was very difficult to walk with so many people, that was 5 years ago and things may even be worse now
>>
File: ramblas-18144.jpg (81KB, 975x390px) Image search: [Google]
ramblas-18144.jpg
81KB, 975x390px
they are a lot of idiots who complain about tourism without thinking that they are living from it, that is true.
however, mass tourism and low class lads on tour tourism is pushing the locals out due, first of all, the gentrification of working class neighborhoods (la Barceloneta for example) that experienced in the last years the proliferation of touristic apartments (kinda ilegal subrented appartments) which allows (and thanks to the authorities during the last years) them to do the tourists whatever they want.
second factor is the substitution of the traditional business for business oriented to the touristic market ; making this way unable for the locals to consume in certain places.
as well, our dependence from tourism is generating low quality season jobs that makes, specially to young people to have some stability (of course it's not fault of tourism but legislation and lack of diversification of the ecconomy, but people tend to express their anger against the easy target, in the case the "guiris" but sometimes they have some reason)

Pic related: Ramblas at summer, the mass tourism not only affects locals but tourists that will start to move to less crowded cities that will still conserve their essence.
>>
Just ban English people from visiting, problem sorted
>>
>you asshole tourists, stop pumping money into our shitty economy
>>
>>1094506
at mid day it becomes empty indeed. It's because people go out very late at night. As they need to sleep at least sometime, they choose the time when it's too hot to be active.

I'm sure it's different in business disctrichts though.

Also, Sagrada Familia is quite far from everything
>>
I live near Barcelona (10 km from centre) and I've heard of the tourism issue. The mayor of Barcelona is a progressist who made promises against tourism and now just allows everything to happen.

One of the few things she did right, was putting toilets in the streets because some tourists (mainly English) just peed everywhere which is disgusting.
I personally have nothing against the tourism this city holds. It's the capital of our autonomy (maybe soon-to-be country) so it's normal. I somewhat like seeing tourists blend with the japanese, korean and english marines when they get to the ground.

I suppose it's just how quickly this transformation happened. Barcelona has always been a dense city (150 years ago it was more dense than Madrid, Paris and London together) and it expanded rapidly, that's why it looks so symmetrical from the sky. With the Olympics, it got way more famous and suddenly tourism flooded the streets, so a lot of people are reacting like this, because it was just another city with 100% local culture and now it's seen as a whore by a lot of natives.

I personally wouldn't live in Barcelona, it's just too big, dense and active in comparison to my city, so I understand why people don't want tourism. A lot of tourists are rude, ignorant and in general pretty narcissistic or ethnocentrist. If they all behaved as normal beings, it would be ok, but you can't expect everyone to be perfect.

Also I think our politicians are being stupid about the issue (as I said they're something like hippies, progressist-bolsheviks or whatever, they just don't do anything). The mayor wanted to ban the Mobile World Congress for fuck's sake, somehow she won't help repairing the lower classes status or organizing tourism.
So yeah, go to Barcelona, it's nice for tourists. Expect some sort of turmoil every now and then because of secessionism and just don't fucking pee, puke or shit in the streets.

That's all the basic information and suggestions you need.
>>
>>1094504
The point is: cities change.
I had to move to another city for better jobs prospect. Other people are fine with that.
I dunno about Barcelona, but if it's not comfy to live in the city centre, i suspect tourism is not the biggest problem there.
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (39KB, 428x288px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
39KB, 428x288px
and i don't want to go anywhere on the iberian peninsula. so i guess that works out for both of us.
>>
>>1094786
Do you support Catalonian independence? Why or why not? Do you think it will happen?

Excuse my sounding like an exam question.

>support your argument with examples from the text
>>
>>1094731
this. big fat this.

Your economy would be on par with some shitty banana republic in the middle of the ocean without those juicy tourist dollars.

But yeah, THEY'RE the problem. Not your influx of african migrants or the fact that the country as a whole is lazy as shit like France.

It's whatever though; I wasn't planning on visiting regardless. Seemed like pretty shit place even before the cultural enrichment started.
>>
File: unemployment-spain.jpg (133KB, 700x469px) Image search: [Google]
unemployment-spain.jpg
133KB, 700x469px
>>1094817

Spain, and especially Catalonia, leans very much to the Left politically. The country is being swamped with illegal Africans and gypsies while natives stand in the unemployment line looking for handout whenever they're not out marching for Palestine or whatever the current SJW campaign is.

Perhaps it's a reaction to the country's recent fascist past under Franco, but the pendulum has swung too far left. Shake off the illegal immigrant parasites and embrace tourism or else the country will turn into a complete slum.
>>
>>1094488
>want tourists out of my town
>vandalize my own town to make a point
Makes sense.
>>
>>1094826
Just like the nigs burn down their city/neighborhood during """"""""""protests""""""""""
>>
>>1094504
>le Venice is a theme park meme
T. Day trip to St Mark's square
Pls go and stay go
>>
This is not the work of spanish people. It is the work of racist faschits.
If tourists stop bringing in money how will the refugees and immigrantes from africa, maroc, and romanian get their human right of benefits, housing and healthcare.
>>
>>1094533
>Venice has a different issue, it's not tourists but rich people buying up property forcing locals who live there to move out as they can no longer afford it.

And yet Venice is full of abandoned, moldering property. I think there is more going on here than just "gentrification."

>>1094556
How is pointing out that they have a choice of moving the same as "forcing" them to move?
>>
File: inigo_montoya_small.jpg (5KB, 200x194px) Image search: [Google]
inigo_montoya_small.jpg
5KB, 200x194px
>>1094615
>Barcelona suddenly has a spontaneous reaction against it
This word, "spontaneously," ...
>>
>>1094504
>Venice didn't feel like a living, breathing city imo.

You need to get away from the tourist areas.
>>
>>1095123
Forgive me for not being a RealTraveler© senpai.
Next time I visit London I'll be sure to stay away from Big Ben and hang around the council flats in Hackney instead. When I go to Rome, I won't go near the Colosseum. I'll visit an industrial estate in the outskirts instead so I can fit in with the cool and cultured hipsters on /trv/.
>>
>>1094615

wowowowowowowo

I'm assuming English is not your first language
>>
>>1095328
Sorry, that was not what I meant. I meant that Venice is living and breathing (though struggling), but you got to poke around a bit more than most people will if you want to find that.

I guess I should have said "one needs to get away from..." but that sounds condescending as fuck.

If that came across as a slap at you personally I tender apologies at something around level 4 on the Universal Apology Scale.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.